Who should be the new coach now? (merged)

Best option for new coach is...

• Kurt Rambis

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Scott Brooks

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Rick Carlisle

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Brian Shaw

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Bill Cartwright

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 33 36.3%

• Total voters
S

sactownfan

Whos next? who do you wanna see?

Well im now back in a positive mind set. there might.... might.... be a way to turn this around.

Theres always the chance of finding an Avery Johnson out there..... its just who are we gonna give the chance to?

I cant put my finger on it but i like Brain Shaw.... i wanna say this guy was all class while a player and has been getting good reviews as both player and coach.... although this breaks my no laker rule. I would be more willing to allow Shaw than Rambis.

I also think Porter could do better with a slightly better team than the one he got in Mil. but Porters off the radar i guess

I think Scott Brooks has the best shot now and i think im gonna jump on the band wagon for him. He was widely talked about as being one of the next Assistants to make the jump. and well he did win two games as the kings coach already. they did look alot better on offense wit him. Also i think this gives us the freedom to keep our eyes out for a better coach the next couple of years without breaking the bank on him.

I think Scott Brooks has the best shot now and i think im gonna jump on the band wagon for him. He was widely talked about as being one of the next Assistants to make the jump. and well he did win two games as the kings coach already. they did look alot better on offense wit him. Also i think this gives us the freedom to keep our eyes out for a better coach the next couple of years without breaking the bank on him.
I agree that Brooks might be the short-term answer and then if he proves worthy get an extension. I don't think "breaking the bank" means much to the billionaire Maloof's. They took a shot at hiring Phil Jackson and entertained Larry Brown which meant they had plenty in their piggy bank.

Alright all, it's time to move on, enough feeling sorry for ourselves. The options are out there. With SVG gone who do you think should be the new Kings coach?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I was always in favor of Shaw, but I guess Petrie didn't like him. Porter is my no.1 choice at this point.

Porter has a tough road.

1) he has not been interviewed even once, and this goes back to even last year. Both times he was rumored, peoiple thoguht he would, but we never did/have, and I almost thoguht Geoff sounded annoyed about it here recently -- like quick pestering me, shoo.

2) the Maloofs are still on their defense kick, which might not be an all bad thing actually. In any case, Porter's teams were terrible defensively. And yes, might have been reasons for that. But he still is going to have to sit down with the Maloofs, if he gets through our multi-staged interview process, and explian himself.

3) the Adelman connection. Geoff too of course. It is why I think everyone keeps expecting him to get a look, but the overwhelming impression I get is that the Maloofs are pretty much anti-anythig to do with the most successful run in franchsie history. And here you have one of Adelman's former players AND former coaches, who might try to run some of Adelman's former system...and while that makes sense to the outside world, I'm not sure the Maloofs are comfortable with that.

Last edited:
3) the Adelman connection. Geoff too of course. It is why I think everyone keeps expecting him to get a look, but the overwhelming impression I get is that the Maloofs are pretty much anti-anythig to do with the most successful run in franchsie history. And here you have one of Adelman's former players, who might try to run some of Adelman's former system...and while that makes sense to the outside world, I'm not sure the Maloofs are comfortable with that.
If your aim was to depress me for the rest of the day, you did a great job...;)

It's not the best list in the world, but it is the realistic list. It's why I didn't include Porter, he's not in the running, as much as many would like him to be.

Bricklayer

NOTE:: this was Jericoholic's poll thread -- I merged in another thread that started up at the same time on the same topic, but without the poll. Sorry for the jumbled posts.

Scott Brooks definitely has plenty of assistant experience and he did well in his two head coaching games last year. It just worries me to have anyone from Musselman's staff coaching this team. If the players didn't respect the head coach I doubt they would give much respect to any of the assistants.

season record / playoff record

Carlisle 281-211 (.571) / 30-32 (.483)
Rambis 24-13 (.648) / 0-4 (.000)
Cartwright 50-100 (.337) / 0-0
Shaw 0-0 / 0-0
Brooks 0-0 / 0-0

one is a proven winner with some flaws - the others are a crapshoot

Shaw 0-0 / 0-0
Brooks 0-0 / 0-0

I believe Rambis was actually 3-5 in the playoffs. In the strike year the Lakers beat someone 3-1(5 game series back then) and then got swept by the Spurs on their way to the title.

I believe Rambis was actually 3-5 in the playoffs. In the strike year the Lakers beat someone 3-1(5 game series back then) and then got swept by the Spurs on their way to the title.
My mistake. You're right. He was swept in the second round, not the first that year

Shaw 0-0 / 0-0
Brooks 0-0 / 0-0

And don't forget, Scott Brooks was 2-0 in the "let's show how much we don't like Musselman by hustling for Brooks" victories.

Can't really slag the guy for that....

And that year they beat the Rockets 3-1 in the first round.

Brooks is actually technically 2-4 as a "head" coach. He went 0-4 under Karl one year, and then 2-0 last year for us.
I disagree, particularly since the Lakers went on to win 67 games and the title the next year with essentially the same roster and the Spurs lost to the Suns in the first round the next year with essentially the same roster.

The Lakers weren't that bad, and the Spurs weren't that good.

I disagree, particularly since the Lakers went on to win 67 games and the title the next year with essentially the same roster and the Spurs lost to the Suns in the first round the next year with essentially the same roster.

You're right, and have a great point. But we all know who was on that Laker team, and they all had a holier than thou attitude that could only be harnessed by a certain blend of coach. PJ was the guy for that moment. Going from Harris to Rambis, they thought they ran things. Jackson brought the shiny jewelry and style they needed for the final element. But that should really only take so much away from Rambis- I really don't put a tremendous amount of weight on interim coaches, partly because the situation- all parts- isn't anything of their creation.

Bricklayer

Spurs lost to the Suns next year...but as I recall without Tim Duncan.