Who should be the new coach now? (merged)

Best option for new coach is...

• Kurt Rambis

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Scott Brooks

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Rick Carlisle

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Brian Shaw

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Bill Cartwright

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 33 36.3%

• Total voters
Wonder if Porter and Carlisle get interviews now. Getting Rambis would scream "second choice," while if we hadn't even gotten a chance at interviewing the others, it wouldn't look so bad.

That said, I'd prefer we get this whole thing wrapped up sooner rather than later.

I would go with Carlisimo. Perhaps not a real popular choice given his mishaps with LAtrell, etc. However, I think coaches, like all of us, learn from our mistakes. He is deserving of a second chance imho. I know, I know, Musselman got a second chance and it didn't work out. But each coach should be viewed on his own merits. I think Carlisimo is a sharp guy, stresses defense and probably learned alot under Popovich. I know I am crossing sports coaching lines, but Belicheck failed his first time around. If you believe in the guy he should be hired. I think Carlisimo might be the best of the remaining bunch.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Wonder if Porter and Carlisle get interviews now. Getting Rambis would scream "second choice," while if we hadn't even gotten a chance at interviewing the others, it wouldn't look so bad.

That said, I'd prefer we get this whole thing wrapped up sooner rather than later.

Maybe we are waiting for Seattle to make their choice, so we can be the dead last of the 7 coachless teams to get a coach, and have the unchallenged opportunity to hire whomever we want from the entire universe of runner ups and castoffs. ;)

Bricklayer

You are correct, forgot about that.

Hmm...fuzzy memories coming back to me....wasn't Jason Kidd out for that series too? Or maybe came back for just the last game? Seem to remember thinking there was some irony there because both guys had got hurt playing us, and so now there was a playoff series between two crippled teams where we ahd done all the crippling?

P.S. as a distantly related aside, in Adelman's first interview in Houston I noticed him say that his first three years with the Kings we got eliminated in the first round, and then we broke throgh int he 4th. Er...coach? We broke through in the third year, beat the Suns, remember Webb's around the Big Jake fake? Then got swept by the Lakers. Yr 4 was the WCF.

I'm decidedly unimpressed with the choices. Carlisle touts the best record but ironically, he's the one I'd want the least.

Wake me when Petrie makes up his mind.

I'm decidedly unimpressed with the choices. Carlisle touts the best record but ironically, he's the one I'd want the least.

Wake me when Petrie makes up his mind.
Agreed...Carlisle is certainly a quality coach who can win...but his style of basketball on the offensive end is incredibly bland to the point that it almost takes away from the winning. Seriously, the Pacers offense was throw it to Jermaine and watch...the Pistons before that were even worst.

After that SVG rollercoaster, it seems there is a lot of "just get someone soon" indifference.

This is such a critical time for this franchise. We could start wollowing for years...or start to bounce back up. It's very important that the franchise doesn't get into the perpetual loser mentality now in order to keep players working hard, playing to their potential, focusing, getting a shot at FA, etc. That's why I like Carlisle just because he is the most likely to get the team winning. If we hire Rambis, aren't able to move most of our vets this summer, and we go 3-7 to start the year, we may mentally not be able to get back over the hump. If we can get someone experienced in to start winning in a proven system, Muss could easily just be the scapegoat for a bad year and then we are moving in the right direction. Very delicate time IMO.

P

PoundForPound

PJ carlesimo needs his own poll, he shouldn't even be mentioned with those "other"s. i want pj.

I'd like to see Elston Turner hired as the Kings new Head Coach. I've always had a lot of respect for the guy.
Me too, but most likely won't happen. Not with the possibility of him being an assistant with Houston and the comments he made in the fallout of the Adelman firing.

What is the love with Kurt Rambis? I just don't see him as a head coach.
I don't know either and it's not reflected in this poll which I haven't voted. At this point, Rambis with 14 is trailing "Other" at 15 and a total of 33 having cast a vote for some one else or some unknown - not Rambis.

Why isn't Porter on the list? I think he is the frontrunner.

*Edit.. I saw the response from pg. 1.

I think this eyar we waited on the whole SVG deal because Detriot was still in the POs. That's why I thought we didn't hire someoen right off.. I gues I was wrong in thinking that if we haven't even talked to Porter yet.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Why isn't Porter on the list? I think he is the frontrunner.
So far as is known, we have thus far refused to even interview him a first time, so hard to be a frontrunner under those circumstances. Seesm everybody except Petrie/the Maloofs thinks he should be on the list. Unfortunately they are the only ones who matter.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Ah private poll to bad. Well it really don't matter which of these guys you want. All are certain to get us the 1st pick next season. Great job

Since "Other" continues to lead I think we need to start a list of barely mentioned or never mentioned choices for head coach of the Kings (assuming they are available and not obvious pie in the sky like Larry Brown, etc)

Here's a few off the top of my head:

Doug Collins, Paul Silas, Rudy Tomjanovich, Rick Barry, Reggie Theus, Lute Olson, Bobby Knight...

Entity

Hall of Famer
I for one want to know Why Larry Brown hasn't been mentioned. For anybody not just us. He is a demanding coach with respect and titles. So whats wrong with him?

I for one want to know Why Larry Brown hasn't been mentioned. For anybody not just us. He is a demanding coach with respect and titles. So whats wrong with him?
As of earlier this year Larry Brown signed a contract to be Executive VP of the 76ers. Most people think he will replace GM King who he basically controls anyway or take over again as head coach with Philly. Therefore, Brown's not available or if he was it would probably cost anyone who took him away from the 76ers draft picks, $$$ or an act of GOD.

Bricklayer

Turner hasn;t proven anything either, and is not thoguht of in an elite light aroudn the league. Again, if you are the only team considering hiring a guy, or even interviewing him...

Think elston is headed down to Houston to be Adelman's rihgt hand man again. If they have a couple of big years there, he might begin to rise to the top of the list about the time we fire whoever we hire this time 'round. ;)

Why do you like Carlesimo? I mean, I'm not agitating to hire Elston Turner, but at least he wasn't already a major coaching bust in two cities.
Carlesimo is probably last on my list of prospects. Not really interested at all. Not being sacrastic at all, but why are some of you so high on him. Am I missing something?

Bricklayer

I love the Kings, but if Houston goes to the NBA Finals next year, I will laugh my rear end off.

Have no idea why -- it will obviously have nothing to do with our old coach, because his teams always decide to be elite on their own while he's just along for the luckiest man alive ride.

Or so I've been told. ;)

The fact it keeps on happening on his watch after years and years where the teams go nowhere is kind of odd though.

Have no idea why -- it will obviously have nothing to do with our old coach, because his teams always decide to be elite on their own while he's just along for the luckiest man alive ride.
Of course, if it weren't for MJ/Pippen or Shaq/Kobe, Phil Jackson wouldn't have won a damn thing or be considered a great coach. ;)