Kings @ Clippers Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well aware of all that...and screw the little ****s.

Mentioned before, there is not ONE person in that entire lockerroom who a) can be sure they wil;l be back next year; and b) who shares the interests of the franchise at this moment. Not one. They all have selfish interests, personal goals that all make sense for them. But not for us. And they are pursuing those personal goals at our expense. Only people thinking about the long term future of the franchise at this point should be the fans, and maybe Geoff, if he's definitely coming back. We're the ones who have to live with the results of our merry band playing for personal pride, their next contract, whatever.
The only thing worst than suffering is suffering for no reason. We just killed our reason with this woss. Before today I looked forward to TDOS but now, I guess I'll have to wait another year for any real change.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
The fans have been disappointed for a long time this season. As is human nature, disappointed over time will often turn to anger. When a person gets angry they often say things they don't mean. This is what is appearing now as hatred.

The fans don't hate their team. They hate what the Sacramento Kings have become in just a few short years. And, they hate that our future looks bleak, so much so that the disappointment of this season appears to be what they will see for quite awhile.

Coming onboard and putting down the regulars because they are so upset does nothing but fuel fires that need no fueling.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I have not calculated the odds, like some here, of how much better a #7 vs. a #11 is, knowing that there's no way you CAN calculate them...all subjective and a matter of opinion.

If we were "fighting" for a top 3 vs #11, the case is easily made without quoting baseless and meaningless odds.
I've got your "baseless and meaningless odds" right here.

We just went from a five-way tie for the fifth worst record to a tie for the tenth-worst. And, if Philadelphia loses on the road to the Pistons tonight, as they figure to, we'll be in sole possession of the 11th-worst record, which means that we drop from having an 8.8% chance at the #1 pick to a 0.8% chance.

"Baseless and meaningless odds," indeed... :rolleyes:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I knew I'd be peeing on the KF.com tank-parade with my remarks, but that's how I feel.

I have not calculated the odds, like some here, of how much better a #7 vs. a #11 is, knowing that there's no way you CAN calculate them...all subjective and a matter of opinion.

If we were "fighting" for a top 3 vs #11, the case is easily made without quoting baseless and meaningless odds.

With our "competition" down at #5, the realistic lowest tanking level, that was going to be a tough one, regardless...and maybe there's another Dwayne Wade sitting there this year, but maybe not...

If you wanted to tank today to increase our odds by a couple or few % of the big hit with an Oden or Durant defy-the-odds ping pong ball pull, well so be it, but it's not very much more of a chance.

I'm not here to change your minds, but I think the "hate" and cursing statements about your supposed team were out of line.
Supposed team? Don't even go there. I am as much a Kings fan as anyone else you know and I didn't want to see a win today. I also didn't want to see Bibby, Miller or Artest play many minutes at all. Why? Because they're totally unnecessary minutes AND they risk injury for no reason whatsoever.

It's not about tanking at this point. We aren't going to the playoffs. We aren't going to help our team AT ALL with late season meaningless wins. If we can salvage anything - even a higher pick in the draft - it's worth pursuing.

So, please. You can disagree all you like but please avoid passing judgment on people simply because they voice their frustrations about what I think everyone can agree is a very disappointing Kings season.
Thanx, VF21.

I'm frustrated too, and probably moreso than virtually all of the tankers here, since I have paid to play big time and sat in Arco this year to watch this usually poor performing team on the floor...many nights were sheer torture to be there.

I haven't even posted here much as of late, but when I popped in and saw all the "I hate so and so" and "**** this team" type remarks, it drove me to say what I did.

Be frustrated that we may have dropped a few draft positions today...if indeed we did (it depends on how the "competition" responds).

But are these strong hate comments really necessary?

I personally hate how we have performed this season, but I don't hate any players for performing well today...but I guess that's just me.

Kings had a really good run...3rd longest streak in the NBA of going to the Playoffs. Pacers, who are #2, are going to snap that as well this year.

I'm not sure the Spurs should even count since they had one of the luckiest things ever happen...60 win season after 60 win season, one major injury and 1 bad season, draft Duncan, then 60 wins after 60 wins.

That's not really even fair.

Everybody has their down time. Hopefully, it only takes the Kings 2-3 years to be back in the thick of things.

Sucks, but, it's not the end of the world.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I don't disagree with that.

But, the players don't care...I'm not sure any player on any team would really care.

They play to win...thats their mindset.

Effort is varied from player to player, but, their goal is to win.

Guys like Williams, Price, Douby, Garcia, they're playing for a roster spot on a new team/starting slot/more time...so obviously they're going to go play hard as they can...and that tends to end with good results.

If I'm Williams or Price, that's what I'm trying to do. I want a contract.
I'm sorry, but what is your point, then? That, because the kids aren't going to play with the best interests of the Sacramento Kings in mind, that we shouldn't be bothered by it? That we should just sit back and take it? We KNOW that they're playing to win, and that's their mindset... that doesn't make it okay, under these circumstances, and it doesn't mean that we have to, or even should, like it.

I mean, it's kind of like you're saying "well, they're going to do it anyway, so you might as well not bother complaining about it," which kind of goes against the point of fan message boards in the first place.

I've got your "baseless and meaningless odds" right here.

We just went from a five-way tie for the fifth worst record to a tie for the tenth-worst. And, if Philadelphia loses on the road to the Pistons tonight, as they figure to, we'll be in sole possession of the 11th-worst record, which means that we drop from having an 8.8% chance at the #1 pick to a 0.8% chance.

"Baseless and meaningless odds," indeed... :rolleyes:
What have numbers ever proven anyways? It's not like they're factual, it's all subjective. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanx, VF21.

I'm frustrated too, and probably moreso than virtually all of the tankers here, since I have paid to play big time and sat in Arco this year to watch this usually poor performing team on the floor...many nights were sheer torture to be there.

I haven't even posted here much as of late, but when I popped in and saw all the "I hate so and so" and "**** this team" type remarks, it drove me to say what I did.

Be frustrated that we may have dropped a few draft positions today...if indeed we did (it depends on how the "competition" responds).

But are these strong hate comments really necessary?

I personally hate how we have performed this season, but I don't hate any players for performing well today...but I guess that's just me.
Are all the hate comments necessary? Probably not but remember - they aren't personal. They don't know the players. They just know the guys in the uniform on the court.

I know it bothers you. It bugs me, too, but I do understand what they're so frustrated about.

This has been a HORRIBLE season for the Kings. Way too much drama, starting even before the season got underway with the whole Musselman debacle. People right now just want to find something/anything to grab onto as hope for the future. Then, when even that slim hope is seen to be slipping away, frustration gives in to momentary anger.

I still love the Kings. You still love the Kings. The people who come here to post still love the Kings. They just don't like the current chapter in Kings history...

Peace, 1kingzfan.

:)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't disagree with that.

But, the players don't care...I'm not sure any player on any team would really care.
Well aware of that...and hence the "screw them". Their interests make sense. Their interests also hurt me and my franchise. Screw them. Next year, any who survive the purge can be back on "my team", and we'll try again. Right now they are the enemy. Things have reached the stage at this point that I see little choice but to root for Kobe bleeping Bryant to posterize Cisco and dunk in Justin's face. Kobe, you see, has the interests of my franchise in heart much more than do our own players. Or at least will for that one day.

Are all the hate comments necessary? Probably not but remember - they aren't personal. They don't know the players. They just know the guys in the uniform on the court.

I know it bothers you. It bugs me, too, but I do understand what they're so frustrated about.
Thanx again. I understand too. I've sat through it.

I guess I haven't been around enough lately to know that everyone is not serious when they they said they hated certain players.

Let's just hope that whomever we draft, in whatever position, will be a difference maker for us.

I'm sorry, but what is your point, then? That, because the kids aren't going to play with the best interests of the Sacramento Kings in mind, that we shouldn't be bothered by it? That we should just sit back and take it? We KNOW that they're playing to win, and that's their mindset... that doesn't make it okay, under these circumstances, and it doesn't mean that we have to, or even should, like it.

I mean, it's kind of like you're saying "well, they're going to do it anyway, so you might as well not bother complaining about it," which kind of goes against the point of fan message boards in the first place.
Just not sure what you're expecting. They're not going to go out there and try to lose, especially with guys playing for themselves right now.

It's been pretty clear to me since the Break that the Kings were not going to get a Top 7 pick...so I was never expecting it. There are quite a few teams with a lot less talent then the Kings roster has...the Kings just aren't well coached nor do they work together well. So, it's been pretty evident to me for quite some time it was just wishful thinking we'd end up with a high lotto pick.

As I said in chat: As much as this woss will hurt the Kings in the future, keep in mind the Clippers always seem to shoot themselves in the foot on terms of making the playoffs.

With that in mind this woss hurts for now twice because not only did it help the Lakers towards clinching, this woss combined with Golden State's win, may have the Warriors in the 7th spot if the Lakers lose tonight.

So thank you Kings, thanks a lot :rolleyes:

Bricklayer

Everybody has their down time. Hopefully, it only takes the Kings 2-3 years to be back in the thick of things.

Sucks, but, it's not the end of the world.
Every one of these "wins" by this group of players who, if there is a God, won't even be in Kings uniforms in a week, increases the chances of the rebound time taking longer. Every one. There is the issue. There was a chance here to short circuit the system -- to shoot the gap and bounce back far faster than a rebuilding team normally does. And I've been a bleeping optimist that maybe, just maybe, in spite of our stupidity and ineffectual front office that we might just luck into that accelerated path. And now that too is rapidly receding and the chances of a long and ugly slog throuogh the muck growing by the "win".

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
[hijack]
Everybody except for the gd lakers, of course. ****ers have only missed the playoffs consecutive years once in their franchise history, and that was a whole whopping two years in a row... :mad:
[/hijack]

Well aware of that...and hence the "screw them". Their interests make sense. Their interests also hurt me and my franchise. Screw them. Next year, any who survive the purge can be back on "my team", and we'll try again. Right now they are the enemy. Things have reached the stage at this point that I see little choice but to root for Kobe bleeping Bryant to posterize Cisco and dunk in Justin's face. Kobe, you see, has the interests of my franchise in heart much more than do our own players. Or at least will for that one day.
Well, nothing to disagree with there.

But, they are worried about themselves...not the Kings franchise. No different then us fans being worried about the Kings and not the players.

Two different wants...two different visions...two different desires.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Sorry, I thought we were talking about the odds of getting a player that will really matter, not the odds of pulling a ping pong ball to give us a higher pick which may or may not matter.
Well I guess that depends on whether or not you think that players like Roy Hibbert or Al Horford will "matter" at the NBA level... and this win effectively took us out of the running for either one of those guys.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the odds of getting a player that will really matter, not the odds of pulling a ping pong ball to give us a higher pick which may or may not matter.
There are no guarantees in this world, but the 1 and 2 this year are far closer to a guarantee than someone at 11 or 12. One draft pick isn't all this team needs to be good, either. But I sure would have liked the much higher odds of a shot at a superstar. In other words, I'd rather have a 1 in 5 chance of possibly winning $50 million than a 1 in 50 chance. I wouldn't even think twice about that choice.

And I don't think people really "hate" the players. I agree with VF, its just deep frustration. Its been a very tough year for a lot of reasons.

Bricklayer

So, it's been pretty evident to me for quite some time it was just wishful thinking we'd end up with a high lotto pick.
I don't care how fatalistic you were about things for most of the season -- it was right THERE. 3 games away. That's all it took. 3 bleeping games in a miserbale season where we've already lost nearly 50. But nope, can't even do that right.

Just not sure what you're expecting. They're not going to go out there and try to lose, especially with guys playing for themselves right now.

Wholeheartedly agree.

The coach sat all starters except Ron for the whole finale, even when the air came out of the huge lead and the game was very much in doubt.

Do we expect Kevin Martin to not play his hardest with the MIP on the line?

Do we expect Cisco/Justin to not give it their all, since their playing time/job are on the line for down the road?

Do we expect ANY player to do anything to assist a tank-job, given that no player knows that he will even be on next year's roster?

I don't understand those expectations either.

Other then Oden and Durant, the rest of the lotto picks all have very large question marks on them. Nothing very sure in this draft...so...again while it sucks that we wont have as good of chance in the lotto, who knows what we'll get.

Wholeheartedly agree.

I don't understand those expectations either.
King fans are thinking for the future of their franchise...

Players (most) are thinking of their future....

If any of us were in a similar position, we'd do the same thing at work..school...whatever. You're going to look out for yourself. If you can get a raise by preforming well at the expense something else, many would. The guys are no different.

We need someone whether it's a coach or Petrie to define our team and just start from there. This team needs to be blown up so badly, ok it will take a little longer now but for the love of God almighty please just blow up the clown already. I'm so tired of watching this group, honestly I really am. I want a new roster. I know that sounds horribly mean, but I can't stand this ugly patchwork group anymore. We need significant changes and a man who has the guts to get it done. it's Petrie's time to cowboy the F up is right now, even if he has to pull a freaking miracle out of his ***. I want to see a real team next year.

Last edited:
My question is...how does a team actually TANK?

If the players are not on board, since they are playing for themselves, then it seems like it has to rest on the coach to substitute for all players that start to play well for one that he does not think will play well.

He could start all guards in order to get posterized in the paint.

He could play Vitaly for 48 (think the press would have a field day with that one?) :D

He could make sure he got 2 technicals and ejected (and at least be directly responsible for giving the other team 2 points).

Then again, is the coach playing for himself too? ;)

If tanking is the proper strategy, why didn't Petrie give Muss some instructions on how to lose, rather than build up a 20+ lead at one point?

So that's why I'm confused about expectations of those that wanted to tank...how do you actually get that done anyway?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The coach sat all starters except Ron for the whole finale, even when the air came out of the huge lead and the game was very much in doubt...
Define "finale." Artest played forty minutes tonight. He should have played something closer to twenty-five.

And that's the whole point. It's obvious that you picked and chose which posts to read in this thread, because more than one person has already pointed out that the issue is not that the guys played hard, it's that so many of the top-of-the-rotation guys played so many minutes in a game where the absolute last thing the Kings should want to do is win; we've been ostensibly eliminated from the playoffs for over a month and "officially" eliminated for over a week... we shouldn't be trying to win ANY games any more this season.

I fully expect Kevin Martin and Ron Artest and John Salmons and Mike Bibby and Brad Miller and Shareef Abdur-Rahim to play their best, when they're in the game. I also fully expect that, if Musselman wasn't being a prick and trying to "save" a job which he's already lost, that he would play everybody in the top 6 of the rotation twenty-five minutes or fewer the rest of the way out, AT LEAST from the point that we were mathematically eliminated, if not sooner.

**** the "finale," Douby, Price, Garcia, Williams and Potapenko should have, barring injury or disqualification, played the ENTIRE fourth quarter. and if THAT five beats the Clippers, then you just shrug your shoulders.

I was hoping we would lose and am disappointed that we won because of the draft implications.

But what I don't get about some of the furious "tankers" is this:

What do you want somebody to do differently?

Do you want guys to miss shots or turn the ball over on purpose?

Do you want guys to play poorly on purpose?? To "take one for the team" in that fashion?

Should the instruction come from Muss with a wink "don't try too hard, know what I mean?"

It clearly would have been better for the team to lose today, and it is not accurate to call it a "huge win" or anything like that. I am dissapointed in my luck that the Clippers could not take care of their business today and I know we are the worse off for the win.

But to be angry with guys who hit shots, make steals, play defense.... is a perversion of the whole thing. It is taking it too far - to a sick place imo.

Tough luck - the Clippers choked with everything to play for. Bad for the Kings. I don't understand hating on our players - starters or scrubs - for this. I don't understand it or like it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.