Lakers @ Kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like hell we didn't...

Yeah, that's called choking... the defensive rotation on the final play of regulation didn't help, either. :mad:
It all goes with the territory of being a really bad, but yet mediocre team. And another sad thing about this loss is that this current Laker team isnt that good, and we struggled to lose, which shows lack of intestinal fortitude as a TEAM. We would need 5 Ron Artests, I think, to really make a difference defensively...but unfortunately rapid cloning isnt available yet on this planet, so we're stuck with what we have. It is what it is, I guess.

Last edited:
I disagree. I'm not saying he gets a FREE pass. He earned it tonight. There were MANY missed free throws and even more missed point blank shots. Any of those would have won the game. Mike played his heart out tonight. He, along with a few others on the team, played with effort, heart, and passion tonight. I HATE losing, especially to the Lakers, but I can take comfort in saying that the actually played like they gave a damn tonight.
Mike "earned" a free pass to miss an easy shot that would've probably sealed the win because of his play in the first 47 minutes and 50 seconds? We can just agree to disagree.

And I'm not placing the blame solely on Mike's shoulders...in fact, if the blame were to be handed out in percentages, I'm sure Bibby's percentage of the blame would be very minor, and tied largely to that one missed free throw at a crucial time. He had a fantastic game, don't get me wrong, and he was the only King that had it really working on offense tonight, both shooting and passing, but he still gets some of the blame (imho) for that missed free throw.

Why is it all on the coach that our short guys got crushed on the boards, then struggled back and had a winnable game slip away? Every time Muss scribbled on that board someone got a pretty good shot, seems like....problem was more Garcia (and others) bricking them, lack of rebounding(size), missed free throws.

One thing I noticed was a lot of plays during this game designed to get Mike Bibby good shots. That worked great. Getting other guys good shots didn't work out so well.

Well anyway, its not like we're fighting for playoff seeding here, there's more a sense of being willing to experiment with, uhh, Douby. Mmmm, yeah then time for bed.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mike "earned" a free pass to miss an easy shot that would've probably sealed the win because of his play in the first 47 minutes and 50 seconds? We can just agree to disagree.

And I'm not placing the blame solely on Mike's shoulders...in fact, if the blame were to be handed out in percentages, I'm sure Bibby's percentage of the blame would be very minor, and tied largely to that one missed free throw at a crucial time. He had a fantastic game, don't get me wrong, and he was the only King that had it really working on offense tonight, both shooting and passing, but he still gets some of the blame (imho) for that missed free throw.
First, all the Kings missed free throws, even Kevin.

Did you actually WATCH the game? If you have to point fingers and assess blame, you can start with pretty much anyone other than Bibby.

...he gave the extra large Ole to Mr Parker on the final shot of overtime. We should have been playing the Mexican Hat Dance song as he flew down the lane to tie the game up. Our 'defense' is non-existant.
That's not how I saw Mike's defense at all on that last play...I saw him run over to Kobe to get the ball out of Kobe's hands...for all we know, he may have been instructed to do that. Of course, given his history (Brent Barry back-breaking three pointer anyone?), this may have been just another of Mike's defensive choices with the clock winding down that went wrong. But it's not as if Mike just got beat straight off the dribble by Parker.

What's up with Garcia? I like the kid but I'm starting to wonder.
I think he has the potential to be better than martin but he's just not developing in our system.

Mike "earned" a free pass to miss an easy shot that would've probably sealed the win because of his play in the first 47 minutes and 50 seconds? .
I misspoke. I did not mean thathe earned the right to miss a free throw. I meant that he does not deserve blame for the loss. His positives totally outweighed his negatives.

I just get upset when we have a player like Mike and a few others on our team who not only played a great statistical game but also had a very good game with all the "intangable" areas as well, including heart and fight, are first ones that get complaints thrown out at them.

Mike had a great game.

i want to blame the coach. he made a lot of mistakes during crunch time. you saw how the lakers got back from a 4 point deficit. Barkley actually said a lot of truth about kings' strategy tonight

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I misspoke. I did not mean thathe earned the right to miss a free throw. I meant that he does not deserve blame for the loss. His positives totally outweighed his negatives.

I just get upset when we have a player like Mike and a few others on our team who not only played a great statistical game but also had a very good game with all the "intangable" areas as well, including heart and fight, are first ones that get complaints thrown out at them.

Mike had a great game.
Very well said, chelle. That's how I feel, too...

First, all the Kings missed free throws, even Kevin.

Did you actually WATCH the game? If you have to point fingers and assess blame, you can start with pretty much anyone other than Bibby.
From the second quarter on, thank you, due to the wonders of sling box. I hope it's not determined to be illegal anytime soon.

I clearly indicated that I wasn't placing all of the blame on Bibby, and in fact said that he should get very little of the blame. But even had I started somewhere else and worked my way through the entire roster and coaching staff before getting to Bibby, I'd still mention his missed free throw with ten seconds left, even though he had an otherwise fantastic game. I guess it's just me...

I don't want to bash they guy, but I really don't know what Francisco brings to the table. He bricked two threes down the stretch that weren't even close. I really haven't seen anything from him since he's been here. I'm not blaming him for the loss but I think its about time his minutes start going to someone else or somewhere else. I know he hustles and is versatile but he makes too many bad decisions and for a guy known as a scorer in college, he just can't get it done.

Bibby asserts when the game is on the line. It's a good way to lose, and the only way to win.

I was glad to see the old Bibby back tonight. Maybe he'll stay.

wow this was a great thread tonight! that has to be one of the longer game threads in a very long time 46 pages and counting

time to sleep.. but it might take a while to digest that one.. oh vey....

Uhh, Kings Lost?

I didn't bother to come home to watch the game after I checked on my phone that they were down by like 20 in the 2nd. However, I kept checking the cor ein the 4th. I called my dad with like a minute left. He said Bibby made a 3, TO, Kobe missed a shot and they fouled. He told me Bibby made the first and second (I think) so I said bye thinking Kings had won. WTF possibly happened next?!? This has got to go down in history as one of the worst losses ever in NBA history.

Mike had a great game.
Mike did have a great game. I didn't intend to turn this thread into a "harp on Bibby's missed free throw with less than 10 seconds left", but merely responded with a view of how a theoretical person could "blame Bibby for this loss".

I agree that Mike's game tonight should be recognized as about more than one little missed free throw, and if he continues on this upswing he's been on for the past 5 or 6 games, I'm sure it will be. Just about every other Kings player could be taken to task for this loss more justifiably than Bibby (but no one posted that they couldn't see how any other Kings player could be blamed for this loss).

piksi

Hall of Famer
wow this was a great thread tonight! that has to be one of the longer game threads in a very long time 46 pages and counting

time to sleep.. but it might take a while to digest that one.. oh vey....
well thank god the rivalry is dead and it was just another game;)

well thank god the rivalry is dead and it was just another game;)
Oh ya, cause the Lakers and their fans really care that a topic about the game on a Kings message board has more than 900 replies to it by the same 9-10 people. The Kings don't even care.

Of course I'm down about losing to the d*mn Lakers, but what a display of heart, determination and cool under pressure by Mike and Corliss. I felt priviledged to watch that.

You know, I want our young guys to succeed, but I'm beginning to think that Garcia just is not going to be able to contribute significantly. I love his scrap and determination, but he makes some of the dumbest mistakes out there. If the mistake making was lessening, I'd feel better, but I'm not sure I see it. Am I being to harsh on him too soon?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Oh ya, cause the Lakers and their fans really care that a topic about the game on a Kings message board has more than 900 replies to it by the same 9-10 people. The Kings don't even care.
And, by "the same 9-10 people," surely you meant to say eighty, right?

Because that's how many different people have actually posted in this thread.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Of course I'm down about losing to the d*mn Lakers, but what a display of heart, determination and cool under pressure by Mike and Corliss. I felt priviledged to watch that.

You know, I want our young guys to succeed, but I'm beginning to think that Garcia just is not going to be able to contribute significantly. I love his scrap and determination, but he makes some of the dumbest mistakes out there. If the mistake making was lessening, I'd feel better, but I'm not sure I see it. Am I being to harsh on him too soon?
probably.

He had no business being in the game at that point in time. We have no coach

When we get the chance to sleep it off, I think that most of us will feel this way. :)

?

I didn't bother to come home to watch the game after I checked on my phone that they were down by like 20 in the 2nd. However, I kept checking the cor ein the 4th. I called my dad with like a minute left. He said Bibby made a 3, TO, Kobe missed a shot and they fouled. He told me Bibby made the first and second (I think) so I said bye thinking Kings had won. WTF happened??

Status
Not open for further replies.