Grades v. Raptors 11/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you get money for everytime you knock SAR or KT? If they're the "saddest front court in the league," then why exactly were KG, Sheed/Tayshaun, or Bosh not able to take advantage? This just in: We WON The last three games.
They all had bad games ... yeah, that's it.

People are too enamored with size. Size size size. If we're winning with 5 Mike Bibby's on the floor, who cares?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Do you get money for everytime you knock SAR or KT? If they're the "saddest front court in the league," then why exactly were KG, Sheed/Tayshaun, or Bosh not able to take advantage?
Garnett was not able to take advantage? You do realize that he's averaged 20/11 against us this season, right?

This just in: We WON The last three games.
This just in: we've played the last three games at home, and two of our opponents were sorry.

You want to keep being blindly optimistic, then be blindly optimistic. But don't get mad if the rest of us want to keep it real.

Garnett was not able to take advantage? You do realize that he's averaged 20/11 against us this season, right?

This just in: we've played the last three games at home, and two of our opponents were sorry.

You want to keep being blindly optimistic, then be blindly optimistic. But don't get mad if the rest of us want to keep it real.
Garnett may be averaging 20/11, but that's still lower than his averages right now. Who holds KG down that often? It's not like he went career night on us, which he should have done by the way people talk around here.

I'm not blindly optimistic, I'm cautiously optimistic.

The rest of you aren't being "real", you're being pessimists. In fact, our front line was just called the sorriest in the NBA. That's a pretty harsh statement.

Yeah, uh, either that or you could just give credit to KT and SAR for making the most of a pretty disadvantageous situation. No center and three of the best forwards in the league in a short stretch, and KG/Sheed/Bosh reasonably contained (obviously KG is going to get his 20/10 pretty much no matter what anyone does). Besides, last year at this time the Kings weren't even beating the bad teams. At home. At all.

If keeping it real means being horribly pessimistic and unwilling to give credit where due... then yeah. Go ahead and keep it real, man. I'm in the "blindly optimistic" camp. It's a lot more fun here.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Garnett may be averaging 20/11, but that's still lower than his averages right now.
By three whole points?

FYI, he's also averaging a higher percentage from the field, as well as averaging more assists and more blocks against us than he is against the rest of the league.

The rest of you aren't being "real", you're being pessimists.
It's not pessimism to not be excited about mediocre players playing mediocre basketball against inferior teams. It's recognizing what they've done for what it is, and what it is not; that is absolutely keeping it real.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
... Besides, last year at this time the Kings weren't even beating the bad teams. At home. At all.
Last year at this time, the Kings didn't have Ron Artest.

It's a lot more fun here.
Fun is subjective. Some people have "fun" jumping out of a perfectly good airplane; I call that kind of "fun" reckless and foolhardy. I look at the "fun" of being blindly optimistic the same way.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Um, guys?

There's room for the blind optimists. There's room for the "realists."

There's room for the folks who see the glass as half-full; there's room for those who see it overflowing with pure nectar. There's room for those who see it half-empty and, believe it or not, there's room for those who see it as shattered on the floor after cutting their lip and causing gangrene to set it.

The problem isn't the point of view. The problem is some people's insistence that everyone has to conform to their particular viewpoint. Could we just accept that and NOT have to have thread after thread derailed with the same silly argument? Either that or maybe just start a thread devoted solely to persepctives?

It really gets tiresome.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Let me tell you all what "keepin it real" is.

KT and SAR are not the sorriest front court in the league...at least not the way they have been playing man-up D and rebounding. However, they do not "walk on water" and do not play (overall) better than a 7 footer like Brad Miller.

Personally, I think both sides are reading way to much into things in order to bolster their position. Neither side is real...AFAIC.

Now, I for one, am going to enjoy every Kings win, not matter who it takes to get it done.

Let me tell you all what "keepin it real" is.

KT and SAR are not the sorriest front court in the league...at least not the way they have been playing man-up D and rebounding. However, they do not "walk on water" and do not play (overall) better than a 7 footer like Brad Miller.
I don't believe they "walk on water" either, but I think they are doing a better job than Brad Miller did when he was on the floor. I also think our offense has opened up and we utilize more options on the floor without Brad Miller.

Brad Miller, in my opinion, clogs the lane because his man doesn't guard him and when he does he can drop into the lane for a double or helpside far too easily. Of course, I won't lie, I've never been a fan of centers that prefer the 20 footer. So, I'm jaded.

If I were a coach, and Brad Miller were healthy tomorrow, I'd have a hard time starting him. That's not to cause a whole slew of discussions, it's just my take.

I still really like Salmons' game. Even when he's not scoring he finds ways to set other guys up. Brick is tending to criticize him for not being the one who scores the points, but 6 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, 0 turnovers in 30 minutes is fine by me. Good things happen when he's on the floor, and I still think the best lineup the Kings have is Bibby/Martin/Salmons/Artest/SAR, with Salmons bringing the ball up.

Some of SAR's turnovers were bad offensive foul calls. It wasn't an out-of-control night for him. He did a very good job playing defense on Bosh and denying him the ball when it looked like Bosh was going to have his way. All in all a pretty good night.

If Martin can have a ho-hum night and still score 26 points...

Bibby looked good tonight, although he still tends to force his shot sometimes -- luckily they went in tonight so he looked good, but he's not always going to get away with it. I'm more impressed with his defense. Except for a few times when Ford blew by him he did a good job of frustrating Ford.

I still think KT and SAR deserve a lot of credit for their hustle on defense and on the boards. I've been impressed.

Um, guys?

There's room for the blind optimists. There's room for the "realists."

There's room for the folks who see the glass as half-full; there's room for those who see it overflowing with pure nectar. There's room for those who see it half-empty and, believe it or not, there's room for those who see it as shattered on the floor after cutting their lip and causing gangrene to set it.

The problem isn't the point of view. The problem is some people's insistence that everyone has to conform to their particular viewpoint. Could we just accept that and NOT have to have thread after thread derailed with the same silly argument? Either that or maybe just start a thread devoted solely to persepctives?

It really gets tiresome.
Is there such a thing as a blind realist? ;)

I still really like Salmons' game. Even when he's not scoring he finds ways to set other guys up. Brick is tending to criticize him for not being the one who scores the points, but 6 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, 0 turnovers in 30 minutes is fine by me. Good things happen when he's on the floor, and I still think the best lineup the Kings have is Bibby/Martin/Salmons/Artest/SAR, with Salmons bringing the ball up.

Some of SAR's turnovers were bad offensive foul calls. It wasn't an out-of-control night for him. He did a very good job playing defense on Bosh and denying him the ball when it looked like Bosh was going to have his way. All in all a pretty good night.

If Martin can have a ho-hum night and still score 26 points...

Bibby looked good tonight, although he still tends to force his shot sometimes -- luckily they went in tonight so he looked good, but he's not always going to get away with it. I'm more impressed with his defense. Except for a few times when Ford blew by him he did a good job of frustrating Ford.

I still think KT and SAR deserve a lot of credit for their hustle on defense and on the boards. I've been impressed.

Me too. They look really good together.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
SAR is obviously having TO issues right now, but most of them are because of the new rules and the fact that he's no longer viewed as an "elite". Calls he used to get, go against him. He's also been rebounding nicely. Yes, he could get more - like tonight - but the game was over. He was going through the motions in the final 5-6 minutes. Before that stint, he was at 7 rebounds in 27 minutes, not shabby.
Indeed Reef came into the game averaging 28.6mpg and 5.2rpg and pretty much kept up the same rate. Which at least makes him consistent since last year he averaged 27.2mpg and 5.0rpg. Not too shabby indeed. For an OG.

Indeed Reef came into the game averaging 28.6mpg and 5.2rpg and pretty much kept up the same rate. Which at least makes him consistent since last year he averaged 27.2mpg and 5.0rpg. Not too shabby indeed. For an OG.
Dude, SAR could average 22/12 and you'd find a way to knock him. Seriously.

Anyhow, using a 5 game subset to validate your point is a blatant misuse of stats. I mean, I guess SAR is really a 41% shooter from the floor ... I never knew. If you can't see a marked increase in rebounding activity from SAR compared to last year, than you're choosing not to see it.

Tonight he was on pace to get 10-12 boards until the game became a blowout. At which point, SAR went into la-di-da mode, which is annoying ... but give credit to the rebounding when the game actually mattered.

He's not a strong rebounder, but I think he's superior to what he showed last year. I'm glad one year is enough to make a case your you Brick. Great logic, brah.

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned about this if the Kings weren't a top 10 rebounding team. Clearly something is going right on the boards right now, and as long as the team is rebounding I'm not going to sweat who is getting the boards.

I'd be more concerned about this if the Kings weren't a top 10 rebounding team. Clearly something is going right on the boards right now, and as long as the team is rebounding I'm not going to sweat who is getting the boards.
Thank you.

Of course, according to people here it's because we've played at home and played these pathetic teams. That's all.

When we play a powerhouse - we're going to get squashed. I mean, I guess a win isn't a win unless you beat the defending world champs ... away.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Here are any way you want to cut this:

For you fans of W-Ls:

Our 6 opponents thus far are a combined 14-24. Thankfully Chicago made it back to .500 or we would have been the only team in the league to have not played a single team currently .500 or above. As is, we and San Antonio are the only two to have faced all of 1.

For you fans of 82game.com (not especially me but...):

Reef: own/opp production 11.4/16.7 -5.3; on/off court -13.1
KT: own/opp production 9.1/20.1 -11.0; on/off court -8.4

They are what we have. But they are NOT why we are winning. Not remotely.

Our opponents on the glass (in reb%):
14th, 15th, 22nd, 26th, 26th, 27th

Those trends will not stay forever. Sooner or later we will get better tests. Some of which we will likely win. And right now, barring injuries, it seems clear that we have the goods to be a 40-something type win season. But we've played NOBODY, have a mess up front, and its a long long season. Whipping the Raptors mneans pretty much diddly and squat. EVERYBODY whips the Raptors. And in our 8 years of playoff runs I can only think of once or twice when we would have met them on our home floor and been anything except decisive favorites (maybe in the first couple of years when they still had Vince, TMAc and Doug and we were just getting started).

Last edited:
Here are any way you want to cut its:

For you fans of, you know, W-Ls:

Our 6 opponents thus far are a combined 14-24. Thankfully Chicago made it back to .500 or we would have been the only team in the league to have not played a single team currently .500 or above. As is, we and San Antonio are the only two to have faced all of 1.

Yikes.:eek:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Reef is playing out of position and is probably the 4th option for scoring now that he's a starter. KT is undersized and isnt even taking 6 field goal attempts per game.

Of course theres going to be a bad point differential considering these guys arnt really a big part of the King's offense.

And taking into account the allstar quality bigs KT and Reef have had to deal with these first few games, it could be a lot worse.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Of course theres going to be a bad point differential considering these guys arnt really a big part of the King's offense...
Because players that don't figure prominently into a team's offense should be expected to have a bad differential, right?

Oh, wait a minute, what have we here?

Any basic level statistics class will tell you that the sample size is too small.

Things have been in our favor, but that's a good thing. Basketball has a massive mental component - and winning breeds confidence which breeds more wins.

Further, each of those teams are sub-500 partially because they played us. The season is only a few games in. You're usage of numbers at this point is ... well.. pointless.

Either you've got to be happy we're getting the lowhanging fruit or just want to look for something to complain about.

Because players that don't figure prominently into a team's offense should be expected to have a bad differential, right?

Oh, wait a minute, what have we here?
Right, let's choose arguably the best defender in the game, on the best defensive team in the game to make a statement about the norm.

That's a brilliant manipulation of statistics. A+!

Let's look at other pointless stats:
http://www.82games.com/0607/06SAC4D.HTM
Opps ... perhaps we ought to take KMoney off the floor?

It's too early in the year to judge on stats. The sample size isn't large enough.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Right, let's choose arguably the best defender in the game, on the best defensive team in the game to make a statement about the norm.
Is this guy arguably the best defender in the game, on the best defensive team? No, but he is a starter, who somehow manages not to negatively effect his team's scoring prospects. Is that so unreasonable?

It's too early in the year to judge on stats. The sample size isn't large enough.
It's too early to judge on anything, but that doesn't stop blind optimists from crowing about how good we seem to be. Don't boast too loudly about how "good" you think you are after beating losing teams at home, unless you're prepared accept that some people might not agree that you've been that "good" after all.

Last edited:
Here are any way you want to cut this:

For you fans of W-Ls:

Our opponents on the glass (in reb%):
14th, 15th, 22nd, 26th, 26th, 27th

Those trends will not stay forever. Sooner or later we will get better tests. Some of which we will likely win. And right now, barring injuries, it seems clear that we have the goods to be a 40-something type win season. But we've played NOBODY, have a mess up front, and its a long long season. Whipping the Raptors mneans pretty much diddly and squat. EVERYBODY whips the Raptors. And in our 8 years of playoff runs I can only think of once or twice when we would have met them on our home floor and been anything except decisive favorites (maybe in the first couple of years when they still had Vince, TMAc and Doug and we were just getting started).
I wouldn't call Detroit and Chicago nobody teams. The NBA is just a bit muddled right now. I expected the Kings to start off sort of lost and muddling, but didn't realize this trend would hit nearly every team in the NBA.

I don't think it's just a matter of us playing poor teams, because starting off on the road and playing Minnesota twice (which has always been a tough team for the Kings) didn't look like an easy schedule to me before the season.

In years past, I would know which teams were for real and which weren't even this early in the season. This year, there's no clear upper tier yet.

Is this guy arguably the best defender in the game, on the best defensive team? No, but he is a starter, who somehow manages not to negatively effect his team's scoring prospects. Is that so unreasonable?

It's too early to judge on anything, but that doesn't stop blind optimists from crowing about how good we seem to be. Don't boast too loudly about how "good" you think you are after beating losing teams at home, unless you're prepared accept that some people might not agree that you've been that "good" after all.
Yeah, okay. Let's again grab stats that translate into virtually nothing and try to huff-and-puff them to brilliance.

As for being a "blind optimist", I'm anything but. I've said repeatedly that I'm cautiously optimistic and have seen movement in the direction I feel is good (and that doesn't include just winning). So, thank you for your kind words and overly aggressive post.

Status
Not open for further replies.