All things Woods ...updated (merged)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
He is entering his 6th year. The minimum salary for an NBA player going into their 6th year is $935K which is probably what he is making......again, he is signed for the MINIMUM!!!!!

Can we please not analyze every aspect of his game and assume that this is the worst signing in the history of the NBA and the Kings will never be good again????
Can we please not hype him as anything more than a 10th-12th man on a decent team who after 6 years is still not worth any MORE than the minimum?

Signing him doesn't really hurt the Kings (beyond it finishing our cap room and likely prohibiting us from signing anybody better). But you have to really be desperate to make every move out as something special to be excited over signing Loren Woods of all people. At that rate signing Kelvin Cato would have resulted in dancing in the streets and predictions of championship here we come. :rolleyes:

Can we please not hype him as anything more than a 10th-12th man on a decent team who after 6 years is still not worth any MORE than the minimum?

Signing him doesn't really hurt the Kings (beyond it finishing our cap room and likely prohibiting us from signing anybody better). But you have to really be desperate to make every move out as something special to be excited over signing Loren Woods of all people. At that rate signing Kelvin Cato would have resulted in dancing in the streets and predictions of championship here we come. :rolleyes:
I agree...that's why I am wondering why this thread has gone on for 15 pages because we signed someone to a minimum contract.

Well, K-Mart is, probably could get him for Bonzi.. KG I'd say will be by the deadline. Wilcox might still be S/T'ed, Gooden is unsigned, and the Cavs could well sign Reggie Evans. We don't need Gooden though. Etan Thomas is probably still up for trade, Wiz want to go more small-ball. Last I read. Swift? I've read conflicting things on him not wanting to be in Memphis, and him accepting being back there.

Not sure about anyone else.
Etan - http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=551573&start=36

Entity

Hall of Famer
you guys might want to do a comparison with Woods Cato and Olowakandi the last 2 years and you may rethink the Cato thing. Those guys are on a rapid decline in age and ability.

you guys might want to do a comparison with Woods Cato and Olowakandi the last 2 years and you may rethink the Cato thing. Those guys are on a rapid decline in age and ability.
Cato was injury plagued the last two seasons. But was rehabbing his most recent injury, the ankle. He's a pretty solid defensive big. Olowokandi barely played in Boston, wasn't bad in Minny. He would of had a regular oppurtunity here, and is an inside defensive presence.

Both aren't totally hops-less or mobile-less, and are very big.

Overall, I'm fine with getting Woods.

Entity

Hall of Famer
i was mostly going by the numbers min points reb and blks. All are about the same only woods has the advantage in reb and blks. Basically i just don't see where either of them would have been a huge upgrade. They would have required about 1 million more as well. so good job GP.

i was mostly going by the numbers min points reb and blks. All are about the same only woods has the advantage in reb and blks. Basically i just don't see where either of them would have been a huge upgrade. They would have required about 1 million more as well. so good job GP.
Just telling you they're situations. No Cato/Olowokandi wouldn't of been a huge upgrade.

If our roster stays the same with Potatohead, Hart, and Corliss...we should at least be a little excited about $11.5M coming off the books next year. Then hopefully we can do some shopping and get the guy we always wanted...KG. Maybe not, but someone good at least, hopefully.

I think we are a deeper team than last season (2nd half). Not resigning Bonzi sucks and a sign and trade seems out of the question, but i will not lose sleep over it (it was his choice after all). We now have 2 ? players in Salmons and Woods, while we got Douby and one (maybe 2) players from summer league. Overall, I think we are better, but we could still use one more big, though i think Petrie is waiting for a midseason trade or sign someone next summer, when the FA are better and have more to choose from.

I agree...that's why I am wondering why this thread has gone on for 15 pages because we signed someone to a minimum contract.
Exactly. Everyone is so bored with the offseason that a lot of people are exagerating this signing one way or the other. Either this is the shotblocking rebounder we've needed or he's a terrible signing and a waste of money. Honestly, he's a solid, low-level role player, who's never going to log big minutes for us (except maybe in very specific matchups), but he does give us another look off the bench and will be better than Jamal Sampson was in a supposedly similar role last year.

Loren Woods at Arizona

I don't mean to imply that this has anything to do with Loren
Woods in 2006, other than his 14 blocks in one game!! I just think it interesting to know some of the past history of Kings players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/2000/11/22/arizona_woods_ap/

Quote:< < Loren Woods will not be able to play until the Dec. 9 game against Connecticut. AP
TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -- The NCAA on Wednesday affirmed its six-game suspension of Arizona senior center Loren Woods for accepting money from a family friend last month.

Woods and school officials had appealed the NCAA decision, which came down Saturday as the top-ranked Wildcats were heading to Hawaii to open their season at the Maui Classic.

He will not be able to play for Arizona until Dec. 9 against Connecticut.

"I'm extremely disappointed at the inability of the NCAA to look at the welfare of the student-athlete in this case," Arizona athletic director Jim Livengood said. "This penalty just doesn't fit the specifics of Loren's situation."

The 7-foot-1 Woods set an NCAA record with 14 blocks against Oregon before missing the latter part of last season with a back injury that required two operations.

Woods, who grew up in St. Louis and transferred to Arizona from Wake Forest in 1998, reportedly has had a unidentified "mentor, adviser and family friend" who has given him financial support since high school.

Arizona officials said Woods' friend "provided Loren with meals, transportation and small amounts of money, sometimes in the form of a regular allowance" and "these ongoing financial contributions did not violate NCAA rules.

School officials said Woods "suffered a difficult spring and summer as a result of health and family issues" and "the family friend felt that providing additional money to Loren would be appropriate under the circumstances."

The friend reportedly gave Woods money twice in September that "were bigger than the permissible gifts," according to school officials who did not specify the amount.

The university learned of the larger contributions in early November and immediately notified the NCAA, seeking guidance regarding interpretation of rules relating to permissible gifts, school officials said.

Woods must repay the money given him by his friend last month as part of the NCAA sanction. >>

Sac.Kings said:
14 blocks in one game (wow), i am not sure if Brad could do that in half a season.
OMG, he had 14 blocks a game in a college level how cool.... come on man Brad is not a defender which is evident however he makes a impact Loren Woods however is not. 14 blocks is impressive but once again how long ago was this game?

I think we are a deeper team than last season (2nd half). Not resigning Bonzi sucks and a sign and trade seems out of the question, but i will not lose sleep over it (it was his choice after all). We now have 2 ? players in Salmons and Woods, while we got Douby and one (maybe 2) players from summer league. Overall, I think we are better, but we could still use one more big, though i think Petrie is waiting for a midseason trade or sign someone next summer, when the FA are better and have more to choose from.
I'm not so sure about the 2007 FA market being as much as most think after gathering some more on it.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_13008.shtml - lots and lots of options... but for non-option players and options that could not be exercised:

Varejao

Big Jake (I'd say with this following season and having a bigger role, the Grizz probably keep him)

Magloire

Collison (depends on what goes on with Seattles young bigs and Wilcox)

That's it. I'd say were set at the wings and PG... can only see Garcia possibly being dealt, if so, we'd get another wing back in some deal.

Vince Carter would be nice. But I think he stays with the Nets.

Kings113, Varejao would be a dream man, but no way the Cavs are letting him so go . . . they consider him untouchable infact they would trade Larry Hughes Big Z and other proven peices before they trade Varejao alot of the people in Cleveland think he's a star in the making.

Kings113, Varejao would be a dream man, but no way the Cavs are letting him so go . . . they consider him untouchable infact they would trade Larry Hughes Big Z and other proven peices before they trade Varejao alot of the people in Cleveland think he's a star in the making.​
Yup, they'll probably get him on an extension soon.

OMG, he had 14 blocks a game in a college level how cool.... come on man Brad is not a defender which is evident however he makes a impact Loren Woods however is not. 14 blocks is impressive but once again how long ago was this game?
Let me see you get 14 blocks in any game. College or not, it is still impressive. No one said Woods would make a huge impact and i am painfully aware that Brad is not a defender. Time has nothing to do with it, its not like his blocking disapeared and he is still only 28 (i think). If you get Woods more minutes, he will get you more blocks.

Kings113, Varejao would be a dream man, but no way the Cavs are letting him so go . . . they consider him untouchable infact they would trade Larry Hughes Big Z and other proven peices before they trade Varejao alot of the people in Cleveland think he's a star in the making.

I love Anderson big hair and all. :D

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Exactly. Everyone is so bored with the offseason that a lot of people are exagerating this signing one way or the other. Either this is the shotblocking rebounder we've needed or he's a terrible signing and a waste of money. Honestly, he's a solid, low-level role player, who's never going to log big minutes for us (except maybe in very specific matchups), but he does give us another look off the bench and will be better than Jamal Sampson was in a supposedly similar role last year.

Probably about right.

The thing with Woods is that we could easily have signed him during our peak years, and there would have been nothing wrong with it. The difference being if we did he would have been our 11th-12th man/3rd center, which is the only role for him on any elite team. Dallas could have had him last year...as their 3rd center. Miami could have had him...as their 3rd center. In fact its probbaly kind of a litmus test with a Lorne Woods -- you can tell where you are as a team by what role he's going to play for you:

12th man/3rd center: good team
backup center/rotation: middling team with some obvious weakness inside
spot starter: lottery team

The problem isn't with signing a guy like Woods, its in what it says about you if you are supposedly going to rely on him.

Last edited: