Paris Olympics 2024

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Summer McIntosh (CAN) wins the Women's 200m butterfly, with an Olympic Record (2:03.03)! Regan Smith (USA) settles for Silver, Yufei Zhang (CHN) takes Bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
USA has moved into second place in the Gold Medal count, behind China, and still maintain a healthy lead in the overall medal count. The bad news for China is that we've just about reached the end of the events that they're competitive at, whereas the United States is just getting warm.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Is my memory ****ing with me, or is the music the gymnasts are using on floor somehow different for the prime time replay than what I heard live?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I haven't watched a lot of the non-USA stuff. This one man commentary crew for the Japan-Brazil game is something else.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I do have a friend who is going to Paris with his GF soon as she got tix a while back to go watch the horses (she loves horses, he is more ambivalent about them). She got the tix with some girlfriends before they were together, so he doesn't have to go sit through Olympic dressage but still gets the trip to England and Paris. Not a bad gig if you can get it. Not sure I'd want to be in Paris with all the additional crowds on top of the normal tourists, but it should still be a very cool environment to be in (Olympics in Paris!).
Um, I just realized the entire US dressage team isn't competing. Ooops.

As the self-appointed, unelected Kingsfans women’s artistic gymnastics correspondent, I unfortunately (for me at least) won’t be able to catch the event finals due to traveling.

Here’s a rundown of the last events before Olympic gymnastics at Paris come to a close, and the chances of the US bringing home 7 more medals, including potentially 4 golds.

This would be one of the seemingly more clear cut events finals as there is such a huge gap between the top three and the rest of the field.

Biles is literally unbeatable if she hits her Biles II, being the most difficult vault a woman can perform. That leaves Andrade and Carey to fight for silver.

Andrade unleashed her new vault in the all around finals, which helped her keep pace with Biles, but not enough to overcome her.

Carey might have a new vault to unveil too, which makes this one even tougher to call. Plus, she’ll be motivated to redeem herself after the flub on vault in Tokyo.

Beyond them, everyone else is a half a point or more behind.

Prediction:
Gold - Biles
Silver - Andrade
Bronze - Carey

This one is a bit tougher to gauge. Both Nemour and Qiu have the highest difficulty of anyone competing, but Nemour has performed better, and Qiu fell during the all-around.

After them it’s Lee, who is spectacular on bars, but operating on a shade lower difficulty than the top two, and defending Olympic champion on bars Darwael who cannot be counted out.

And unlike vault, the field is close enough that Zhang, D’Amato, Downie, and Kervic can at least be considering in the running for bronze.

Prediction
Gold - Nemour
Silver - Qiu
Bronze - Lee

Here’s another one that’s wide open, and predictions got even more scrambled when the odds on favorite Zhou, fell on beam during team finals - which has been a theme for China in Paris, their stars scrubbing on their specialties. That said, barring another fall, Zhou’s difficulty rating otherwise makes her untouchable on beam.

Lee also looked shaky during both quals and all around on beam, but smashed it during team finals, so she is perfectly capable of taking silver at the least. As long as she comes into the event final with that competitive fire we saw in her during all around, she could come away from beam with her seventh Olympic medal, tying Shannon Miller.

Biles also looms having earned bronze on beam in the past two Olympics and if Zhou and Lee hit, then Biles is in position to make it three Olympics in a row with a bronze on beam.

Andrade is of course in the field as well and is always dangerous. Voinea could make a move as she tries to bring home Romania’s first medal in gymnastics since London. Esposito and D’Amato are also strong competitors for Italy. Soares in place of Saraiva makes the field a shade less competitive, but she is still within striking distance.

Again, beam is wide open.

Prediction
Gold - Zhou
Silver - Lee
Bronze - Biles

This one is less of mystery, but no less exciting.

As we saw during the all around, Biles is a supernova on floor. Andrade is also spectacular in a comfortable second. And Chiles’ routine has become a crowd favorite putting her solidly in third, with an outside shot to take over silver from Andrade.

No one else is close to those three except perhaps again Voinea who will have one more chance to bring Romania a medal.

Prediction
Gold - Biles
Silver - Andrade
Bronze - Chiles

Last edited:
IMG_5119.jpeg
Well well well, who would have guessed.

Biles wins gold on vault. Her third gold of these games and seventh overall.

Andrade wins silver.

Carey takes bronze, still fighting what seems to be a week long stomach flu.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yo, did we not even bother to send anybody in boxing and judo, or were we unusually sorry this cycle? I don't remember the USA ever leaving an Olympics empty-handed in combat sports?
Americans just may not be that into Judo as they are into BJJ or wrestling. how many judo places are there in your state or city compared with other joints?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Americans just may not be that into Judo as they are into BJJ or wrestling. how many judo places are there in your state or city compared with other joints?
I live in a small "majority minority" suburb. I don't think we have any of either. What's in Atlanta, I don't know, nor do I have the curiosity to find out.

Either way, I forgot that the wrestling doesn't start until the day after tomorrow: it looks like we have seven medal contenders (3 men, 4 women) and four medal favorites (2 men, 2 women).

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Ryan Crouser (USA) threepeats as Olympic Gold Medalist in Men's shot put. Joe Kovacs (USA) gets Silver, Rajindra Campbell (JAM) gets Bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Summer McIntosh (CAN) wins the Women's 200m Individual Medley, with an Olympic Record (2:06.56)! Kate Douglass (USA) settles for Silver, Kaylee McKeown (AUS) takes Bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Julien Alfred (LCA) wins the Women's 100m. Reigning World Champion Sha'Carri Richardson (USA) settles for Silver, Melissa Jefferson (USA) gets Bronze.

According to the broadcast coverage, this was the first-ever Olympic Medal for the country of Saint Lucia.