DeMar DeRozan Rumor

. I had enough when DDR was with Toronto.
He is 6'6"??? Maybe in high heels.
I'm OK with most bball players. Though in NBA I want nothing to do with Draymond Green and DDR. Just my personal take.
I will take a wild guess and assume that you were watching him in Toronto because of Kleiza at that time?

I am also torn about this upcoming deal, first i am excited in case it will finally take place cause after quite a long time we will be getting via trade a known player, former All star etc. My worry is that I am not sure if he matches the chemistry of the team. It's not that he doesn't pass the ball, but he keeps it quite long, playing with his back against the basket in order to make a fadeaway shot, he doesn't seem to be the perfect fit for a team like Kings or... Pacers for instance, that the ball moves a lot and fast. Of course it's up to the coaching staff to use him in the best way possible and he would be a major upgrade if he will replace Barnes in the lineup.

I think all the major trade targets that have been mentioned (Ingram, Kuzma) have their flaws, and so does DDR as well. Lauri seems like a different case (I am sure he is not perfect either) but he is by far the hardest one to get not only because of his value but because Utah will ask "for the sky and its stars" (Greek expression) in order to agree in a trade involving him.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Anyway? Back on track. How much of a 20mil contract (assuming) can we absorb with space? Is it even possible? Just seeing if possible we can get one of the other players we have been linked to as well.

derozen/ lauri
Derozen/ Kuzma
Derozen/ Ingram.
I'll side-step the contract question because a DeRozan signing would likely eliminate the need to get a Markkanen, Kuzma, or Ingram. These guys are all offensive stars -- if you give up a ton of assets to get one of them you want them taking a lot of shots to justify your investment. The whole point of pursuing DDR is that he's going to give us similar offensive production than these other guys for a lot less (in contract dollars and trade assets) and he's about to turn 35 so he'll likely accept a smaller role for a chance at a championship in the short-term and will be ready to retire or move to the bench when our young guys (Keegan, Keon, and Devin) are all hitting their career primes.

If we sign DDR I hope Monte uses the rest of his cap space and/or trade assets to find defensive role-players -- guys who don't need many shots but will improve our overall team defense.

I would caution to not get too high or low based on these reports. We’ve been used as leverage before, and also I think it’s a possibility this report may be a smokescreen to put pressure on another team.
It's possible. Then again, Monte was supposedly after Collins from the Hawks for like a year + and ended up with Huerter. The Kings being in on LaVine this whole time and ending up with someone else on the same roster should surprise nobody, lol.

Kings were

20-7 when HB scored 15 or more points

24-7 when Keegan scored 20 or more

11-4 when Huerter scored more than 15

Point being, having another reliable scorer who can contribute 20 a game is massive for the Kings. Perhaps the difference between 46-48 win pace and a 55-56 win pace. DeRozan isn’t a guy “capable” of it. He can give you that good HB night every night.

DeRozan isn’t really declining either despite his age. This would be a very consequential addition. It likely won’t cost the Kings any picks, it will leave one of HB or Huerter to use in another trade to address other weaknesses.

His record of availability is good.

I’ll be pretty happy with him

Kings were

20-7 when HB scored 15 or more points

24-7 when Keegan scored 20 or more

11-4 when Huerter scored more than 15

Point being, having another reliable scorer who can contribute 20 a game is massive for the Kings. Perhaps the difference between 46-48 win pace and a 55-56 win pace. DeRozan isn’t a guy “capable” of it. He can give you that good HB night every night.

DeRozan isn’t really declining either despite his age. This would be a very consequential addition. It likely won’t cost the Kings any picks, it will leave one of HB or Huerter to use in another trade to address other weaknesses.

His record of availability is good.

I’ll be pretty happy with him
I didn't really think of him tbh, this summer, but he does make a ton of sense. He fixes a lot of problems:

-ft shooting and drawing fouls
-elite secondary creator that can help with playmaking
-can go create shots off his own bounce;something we really only tap Fox and a little
-impact numbers all still look very good from last year.

Maybe we sign him and he loses to father time, right away, but I doubt it. He's adapted his game so well to getting older

You know. The Demar I think about Demar, Demar I like it.

Short-term, proven bucket, solid size 6’6, will cost way less, allows us to free up money when we need to pay everyone else, solid defender (looking at his past defensive ratings), and is always active on the boards, and a play maker/20 point scorer/someone who can get his own shot.

He can slot right into our starting SF spot and it will most likely only cost us Heurter/Duarte and maybe a 2nd. Sign me up.

DDR is pretty durable for his age. He hardly missed any game and at age 34-35, he is still putting up consistent numbers. That tells you one thing: he's a true star! He will be playing the role of Barnes but going to line way more often and that alone, can win you close games. How many times have the Kings throw away games because they keep running around finding open man only to succumb to bad shots? DDR PER stats is off the charge!!
1720211255370.png

I am not the biggest fan of his. As an analytics based FO, I doubt Monte is either. In fact if this is who we get it tells me Monte lost the game.
If it's who we get, it definitely ain't some last minute decision to settle. Monte would rather do no move than just some silly panic move and he's proven that already. If we get Derozan, it's because this front office has spent a considerable amount of time weighing every pro and con there is.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I mean he's just better straight up, but assuming we don't have to part with a FRP for DDR? Not even close
Unless we can find a team with space who actually wants Huerter for free, we'll probably have to give up a pick (protected?). I mean, teams know what we want, and they'll play hardball. If Chicago takes any salary at all, they might want a second, but I think that just the TPE created alone should give them incentive to help us out without too much complaining.

If DeRozan's number is $25M, like the Sac Bee thinks, then either Barnes or Huerter alone isn't going to cut it, and we'd have to throw somebody else (presumably Duarte) into the mix, and we might need Chicago, rather than Anonymous Third Team to pick up that contract.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I know the fit is a little weird but the dude is a straight baller and one of the best clutch scorers of this century. I feel like that probably has to count for something
I don't know that the fit is altogether that bad. We'd pretty surely be playing him primarily as a SF. Assuming Huerter/Duarte are outgoing, we'd be looking at:

Fox/Carter
Ellis/Monk
DeRozan/Barnes/Colby
Keegan/Lyles/McDaniels
Sabonis/Len

(Ellis/Monk could swap, but Monk's O off the bench and Ellis' D with the starters seems better than having our best 2 defensive players coming off the bench.)

So that's 12 players. Grab somebody as a McGee-type emergency five (Drew Timme may be trying out for that starting tomorrow), throw in some bench depth at the wing (so if there are G injuries DDR can swing to SG) and call it an offseason. Fox/Domas/DDR/Keegan/Monk as the centerpieces with Carter/Ellis/Barnes/Lyles as contributors is a potent rotation. I'll roll the dice with that.

He is 35 years old I don’t see the Intrigue
I think because he’s still playing at a high level and has stayed relatively healthy eases concerns. Also the fact he can be had on a 2-3 year deal as we will be looking to re-sign fox, Murray and possibly Ellis allows for room that may not be available if we land Ingram and he gets close to a 5 year max

Unless we can find a team with space who actually wants Huerter for free, we'll probably have to give up a pick (protected?). I mean, teams know what we want, and they'll play hardball. If Chicago takes any salary at all, they might want a second, but I think that just the TPE created alone should give them incentive to help us out without too much complaining.

If DeRozan's number is $25M, like the Sac Bee thinks, then either Barnes or Huerter alone isn't going to cut it, and we'd have to throw somebody else (presumably Duarte) into the mix, and we might need Chicago, rather than Anonymous Third Team to pick up that contract.
You're right, team may not want to help facilitate. In that case, Chicago have to absorb Huerter's contract. It's only 1 more year and also they can send a player our way so that they don't get into the 1st apron tax. Chicago can definitely to this without a problem since they like Huerter.

I don't know that the fit is altogether that bad. We'd pretty surely be playing him primarily as a SF. Assuming Huerter/Duarte are outgoing, we'd be looking at:

Fox/Carter
Ellis/Monk
DeRozan/Barnes/Colby
Keegan/Lyles/McDaniels
Sabonis/Len

(Ellis/Monk could swap, but Monk's O off the bench and Ellis' D with the starters seems better than having our best 2 defensive players coming off the bench.)

So that's 12 players. Grab somebody as a McGee-type emergency five (Drew Timme may be trying out for that starting tomorrow), throw in some bench depth at the wing (so if there are G injuries DDR can swing to SG) and call it an offseason. Fox/Domas/DDR/Keegan/Monk as the centerpieces with Carter/Ellis/Barnes/Lyles as contributors is a potent rotation. I'll roll the dice with that.
I mean if that’s our roster going into the season, without sacrificing significant draft capital then I’m all in. Gives us a couple years to see if Keegan takes a leap and then retool around our big 3.

The more I think about it the more I like DD as a two year stop gap while Murray gets comfortable being a top NBA option. Heck, even if Murray looks good to go next year we could have DD as a fat expiring that would be a valuable trade asset with the new second apron cap rules (assuming he gets a big two year deal).

If we gotta throw in a first rounder, I'd hope it has heavy protections on it. Give them as many 2nd rounders as they want, Monte gets 2nd round caliber prospects in undrafted FA year after year anyways.

Huerter and/or Barnes outgoing is very fine and dandy.

I think this is my favorite trade scenario now, spacing be damned (allegedly)!

Eh. 35-year-old scorer who can’t/doesn’t shoot 3s (I don’t want to hear about how he can shoot 3s…. It’s the same people telling me that Sabonis can too).

The floor spacing would be atrocious and the defense wouldn’t be improved, but I don’t think Monte can afford to go into next season without making a big move.

That’s the only reason why I would be semi-ok with this. Our current team isn’t working and I can’t be mad at him if he tries something else.

Don’t think we should give up a 1st though.

Eh. 35-year-old scorer who can’t/doesn’t shoot 3s (I don’t want to hear about how he can shoot 3s…. It’s the same people telling me that Sabonis can too).

The floor spacing would be atrocious and the defense wouldn’t be improved, but I don’t think Monte can afford to go into next season without making a big move.

That’s the only reason why I would be semi-ok with this. Our current team isn’t working and I can’t be mad at him if he tries something else.

Don’t think we should give up a 1st though.
I highly doubt Monte (or anyone else for that matter) would be bringing him to Sacramento to shoot 3s. It's the other things that he brings, and does, that makes him an intriguing candidate to bring to Sacramento and plug into the rotation.

DDR is pretty durable for his age. He hardly missed any game and at age 34-35, he is still putting up consistent numbers. That tells you one thing: he's a true star! He will be playing the role of Barnes but going to line way more often and that alone, can win you close games. How many times have the Kings throw away games because they keep running around finding open man only to succumb to bad shots? DDR PER stats is off the charge!!
View attachment 12719
It’s remarkable how there isn’t any noticeable drop off from a 24 year old player to a 34 year old player. In fact, there’s some areas where he improved. His game was definitely built for a productive 20 year career.

obviously his usage will likely go down by a lot and regardless of where he ends up he will be entering a new phase of his career. Like I think he’ll be asked to take more threes with the Kings(IF they land him).His attempts were already trending up last season while usage down

..but he’s one of the best scorers in the NBA that looks like he’ll be acquired for Klay Thompson money…despite one still being an all star and the other being well over the hill