DeMar DeRozan Rumor

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Complete NO to Demar from me. Yes, he can score. Taking scoring chances from his teammates. He never passes or plays any defense. Any SG under the contract with Kings is a better choice. Let him play as SF??? Nuts.
He never passes? Over his last 7 years he has averaged 5.6 assists per game. Tough to do if you never pass, particularly when you aren't the point guard.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Complete NO to Demar from me. Yes, he can score. Taking scoring chances from his teammates. He never passes or plays any defense. Any SG under the contract with Kings is a better choice. Let him play as SF??? Nuts.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of someone else? DeRozan has averaged 5+ assists per game for most of his career.

He never passes? Over his last 7 years he has averaged 5.6 assists per game. Tough to do if you never pass, particularly when you aren't the point guard.
He passes only when he can not take the shot. Keeps the ball too much in his hands. Anyway, maybe he changed when he aged? I haven't watched much of his game lately, true. Though his time with Toronto is etched in my memory. Couldn't make a three pointer. Even with the dunks and lay-ups, his FG% was around 43% in Canada. He was always resting on defense... Anyway, I'm rarely harsh on a player, though in Toronto he was nothing but me first stat-padder.
Nothing will change. Kings are loaded with talent at SG position. No need to overpay an expired product.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He passes only when he can not take the shot. Keeps the ball too much in his hands. Anyway, maybe he changed when he aged? I haven't watched much of his game lately, true. Though his time with Toronto is etched in my memory. Couldn't make a three pointer. Even with the dunks and lay-ups, his FG% was around 43% in Canada. He was always resting on defense... Anyway, I'm rarely harsh on a player, though in Toronto he was nothing but me first stat-padder.
Nothing will change. Kings are loaded with talent at SG position. No need to overpay an expired product.
He hasn’t played for Toronto for five seasons. He also hasn’t been a full time shooting guard since the Raps traded Rudy Gay which was like a full decade ago at this point.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
As I've pointed out, the completely (OK, maybe only "partially") cray-cray @reptilexcq2 proposal to land both DeRozan AND Ingram could be pulled off financially with DDR starting at $21M. (Link) And the Bulls technically don't take on any money (but they do have to send out their only true C). But they're tanking this year anyway, so why not? The real problem is that Chicago ends up with a really full roster so they'd probably have to find another deal to get some elbow room. Still, the crazy idea could make sense even for them?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
How bout sending Huerter to Magic, they send top 10 protected 2026pick to Bulls and we send a 2nd rounder to bulls as well. S/T DDR for $20M/yr (2-3 yrs).

Fox/Carter
Ellis/Monk/Jones
DDR/Barnes/Duarte
Murray/Lyles/Barnes
Sabonis/Len
Magic don’t have any cap space available to just take a guy in anymore. Fanspo hasn’t factored in free agent signings at all yet since they aren’t official until the 6th.

Seems like there’s a significant difference between the Bulls being unwilling to take on salary and not necessarily wanting to. Sidery showing why we can’t necessarily trust him as an aggregator here.

The Yahoo article the other day suggested the Bulls would be mostly concerned with staying under the tax (I think they’re about $18M under). Either Barnes or Huerter would fit, and likely give DDR his slightly over $20M per year deal given the flexibility with salary matching rules, right?

If the Demar deal go through, it's going to be something like this:

Bulls get Huerter + 2nd round
Kings get Demar for ($20mil/yr) and Javon Carter <-this is needed for Bulls to get under tax)
If the Bulls don't want Huerter, then Kings probably can find a home for him and get that team to ship another 2nd round to Bulls.

After that...

Kings can still do deal to get Ingram
But they're going to have to throw in Trey Lyle and Duarte (expired contracts in 1 yr). It can work if Kings throw in ONE OR TWO 1st round? Pelicans is going to have suck it up without a good center.

Last edited:
What do we think about DDR being captain midrange and having the defenses able to be back just a little more?

I won’t argue with adding a talent like him, but the fit seems a little iffy with Fox and his driving and guys already not having to guard Sabonis on the perimeter. We’d need another 3Pt sniper next to Keegan to keep defenses honest.
I think it's likely Brown runs a lot more guard ball next season. DDR playing some PF like he did with Chicago is certainly possible as well.

DDR would be a super interesting fit. I like the idea of him and Domas in a 2 man game could do.
What do we think about DDR being captain midrange and having the defenses able to be back just a little more?

I won’t argue with adding a talent like him, but the fit seems a little iffy with Fox and his driving and guys already not having to guard Sabonis on the perimeter. We’d need another 3Pt sniper next to Keegan to keep defenses honest.
I was just writing pretty much the same question. Anyways, surrounded by Keegan, a good defender and who will likely regain his 3 point game and savvy defenders at the two spot as well as Monk hitting threes should work out fine.
DeRozan at SF in the starting lineup, is an improvement and again, he shouldn’t cost us crazy draft capital.

He’s below Markkanen and Ingram on the list for me, but ahead of guys like Kuzma, Grant and so on.

Fox/Carter
Ellis/Monk/Huerter(?)/Jones
DeRozan/Barnes(?)/Duarte
Murray/Lyles
Sabonis/Len

I’m assuming one of Huerter or Barnes would be moved to make way for Demar, salary wise. If we trade Barnes, I think we’ll also get rid of Huerter simply because we don’t have room for him with all our guards now. If we trade Huerter to create space, I think we keep HB for wing depth.

He’s below Markkanen and Ingram on the list for me, but ahead of guys like Kuzma, Grant and so on.

Fox/Carter
Ellis/Monk/Huerter(?)/Jones
DeRozan/Barnes(?)/Duarte
Murray/Lyles
Sabonis/Len

I’m assuming one of Huerter or Barnes would be moved to make way for Demar, salary wise. If we trade Barnes, I think we’ll also get rid of Huerter simply because we don’t have room for him with all our guards now. If we trade Huerter to create space, I think we keep HB for wing depth.
only Detroit and Utah have cap space to absorb Huerter with nothing coming back.

I could totally misread the situation but it seems to me that the DDR's agent is trying to get him a contract via sign and trade rather than face the free market with so many teams at or near the cap. But if that is the case the smart money would be to sit back until they're ready to take FA offers and make a vet minimum offer for him. If it trade involves red velvet and some second rounders fine, but this is not a situation I would put many assets on the table for I'd rather try to buy cheap in the open market.

A dude like DDR is just such a smart player and he's a brilliant passer. While he's not a spacer, he commands a ton of attention out there. From just a pure talent perspective, he's a good upgrade and the numbers say he's still very productive.

Always like the idea of getting dudes like that in a offensive system like ours. Good things bound to happen

A dude like DDR is just such a smart player and he's a brilliant passer. While he's not a spacer, he commands a ton of attention out there. From just a pure talent perspective, he's a good upgrade and the numbers say he's still very productive.

Always like the idea of getting dudes like that in a offensive system like ours. Good things bound to happen
and he's plenty capable of hitting a 3. Have seen him do it late in games many times.

He just doesn't launch lots of 3's in volume as a primary method for his scoring, which is a nice change up from most players. He plays to his strength, which is putting pressure on the defense and getting as close to the basket as he can for his shots....and it leads to lots of free throws that he makes at an elite %, which this team needs.

Fox is actually at his best, when he plays more like DeRozan. It would be interesting to have two guys always putting pressure on the defense in the mid and short range, along with Sabonis at the rim.

and he's plenty capable of hitting a 3. Have seen him do it late in games many times.

He just doesn't launch lots of 3's in volume as a primary method for his scoring, which is a nice change up from most players. He plays to his strength, which is putting pressure on the defense and getting as close to the basket as he can for his shots....and it leads to lots of free throws that he makes at an elite %, which this team needs.

Fox is actually at his best, when he plays more like DeRozan. It would be interesting to have two guys always putting pressure on the defense in the mid and short range, along with Sabonis at the rim.
DDR isn't an off ball player. If he's with the Kings, don't expect any different. However, a bunch of Kings players can work within that including Keegan and Monk.