(3)Kings versus (6)Warriors Pre-Playoff Series Thread

Guess the end result.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The over/under win total was the safe bet. I'm not going to risk my toy fund on this one even though it would buy me a pretty sweet Les Paul Custom.
A Les Paul guy. Nice! I always knew there was something I liked about you beyond being a KINGS fan.....

I own a 1993 LP Studio. First guitar I actually bought. Had a few others first, but acquired them w/o buying from a store.

I believe we absolutely can win this series. The warriors just don’t have the same team chemistry as in the past and are prone to mistakes (as their road record will attest do). Regardless of how well their defense plays, I think the key will to have two of Keegan, Huerter, Monk or TD catching fire from three most games. If we get a couple of those guys hitting 4 to 6 threes a game I think our offense will blow them over.
I agree that the KINGS will need at least 2 of those guys making shots in a given game. They'll also need Domas and Swipa to continue doing what they've been doing most the season. Be all-stars.

If Huerter steps up like he did for ATL a few seasons ago, I really like our chances a lot better. We also need HB to not be invisible. He doesn't need to blow up offensively, but he can't be totally absent.

Not sure what the cost will be for standing room, but if I was younger I’d grab a ticket with a friend, get in as doors open and post up at the Sierra Nevada deck upstairs. We’d switch off beer and bathroom breaks to keep our spot.
This is actually what me and a group of friends do. We were at the NOP game that eventually got cancelled just before tip off in March 2020.

We all buy upper-level tickets on the cheap then hang out at the overlook of the Sierra Nevada bar. There's anywhere from 4-8 of us so it's easy to keep our spot. It's much more fun hanging out in a group, jumping up and down and high fiviing all game than being in our assigned seat.

My wife and I would buy 10 game packages in the upper-level. When she'd go with me we'd typically sit in the assigned seats. But when I'd take a friend, we'd do the group hangout thing at Sierra Nevada.

I noticed that SRO tickets weren't available during Monday's ticket sale. Anybody know when those go onsale? Are they game-day release only??

I'll be curious how much we use Len. Outside of Looney, there's no one for him to really defend and he'll just get picked apart when the Warriors go small. I think Kessler makes more sense as the 9th man than Len to match up with their wings/guards.
Len is for the Lakers/AD and Suns/Ayton. But I've also seen Len impact perimeter D by being a solid second line. Will be curious to see how he's used as well. Feels like Coach as some tricks up his sleeve. Brown is remarkably open in the media about his philosophy/approach. Gut says that he's sneakier than he lets on - and selectively reveals info to give other teams a false sense of security about how they scout us. I just have this feeling that we are going to "outperform" on the defensive end in the playoffs.

I believe we absolutely can win this series. The warriors just don’t have the same team chemistry as in the past and are prone to mistakes (as their road record will attest do). Regardless of how well their defense plays, I think the key will to have two of Keegan, Huerter, Monk or TD catching fire from three most games. If we get a couple of those guys hitting 4 to 6 threes a game I think our offense will blow them over.
Wait so a guy clocking a teammate upside the head in practice isn't good for chemistry?

I think another interesting aspect is who do the Warriors put Steph on? In a lot of there playoff runs, they've been able to sort of hide him on some no-offense wing. But you can't hide anybody on defense vs us.

I imagine GPII/Wiggins gets a majority of the work on Fox. Klay probably goes on Huerter, Dray goes on HB, which would leave Steph on Keegan. That'll be a match-up to really watch; we're probably going to need a few 20 point games from Keegan if he's the one who gets the mismatch.

Having said that, I predict a warriors series win in 6. Steph is Steph and Klay is shooting great again. Those two can will that team to win big games….and if that happens, it’s not a failure of a season. I want to see this team fight and show a lot of grit when they go through stretches of missing shots. This is a stepping stone season. Of course I want to see us advance as far as possible, but regardless I think we take another big leap next year as our defense starts to catch up to our offense.
Thompson had a better offensive season than most realize. He made over 300 3's in 69 games played. He's still capable of going nuts at any time

The standing room only is cool. I got sweet Rodgers Water upgrades hanging out there. We thought they were trying to kick us out (theres some ADA access issues there) but no, stage left about 13 rows up.

I think another interesting aspect is who do the Warriors put Steph on? In a lot of there playoff runs, they've been able to sort of hide him on some no-offense wing. But you can't hide anybody on defense vs us.

I imagine GPII/Wiggins gets a majority of the work on Fox. Klay probably goes on Huerter, Dray goes on HB, which would leave Steph on Keegan. That'll be a match-up to really watch; we're probably going to need a few 20 point games from Keegan if he's the one who gets the mismatch.
They tend to hide him in the corner on defense, so probably Keegan.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
A Les Paul guy. Nice! I always knew there was something I liked about you beyond being a KINGS fan.....

I own a 1993 LP Studio. First guitar I actually bought. Had a few others first, but acquired them w/o buying from a store.
I have an 88 Standard that was my third guitar (first guitar was passed to my brother then a cousin, second was traded so I could get my 4th which I still have, an HM Strat).

Also a 58 VOS DC Junior (I think its 2019?) and an SG. But I am hunting the elusive birth year Alpine White Custom (74) that won't break the bank. Randy Rhoads and Steve Jones both played these so it's tough to come by. I have a couple Fenders, a Gretsch and some random stuff too, but I've accepted I am a Gibson guy through and through.

which would leave Steph on Keegan. That'll be a match-up to really watch; we're probably going to need a few 20 point games from Keegan if he's the one who gets the mismatch.
I can already see it. MB knows exactly what you guys speak here.

The KINGS attack Curry with Murray. And several different times Curry falls down because he can't handle the much bigger Keegan.

Automatic whistle, charging call. Keegan gets in foul trouble.

That's one thing I absolutely loathe about the NBA. Smaller players getting rewarded for flopping or being overpowered by bigger, more physical players. That's not "defense".

Last edited:
Listening to 95.7 in the Bay Area breaking down the kings. This week is gonna be awesome!
Their key is to get domantas in foul trouble. If they can do that they can break us down. We can all but guarantee that we are gonna get a huge taste of Draymond running his big mouth trying to get under sabonis skin
It will be flop city, for sure. Green is probably taking acting classes as we speak.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Me and a good friend use to sneak into arco in the early 2000's, probably not even an option at the G1C. You know, the whole "act like you belong and they won't bother you" kind of sneaking in........
Not at Arco but I remember days like these. 9/11 seemed to change everything (of course I was allowed to be the places I was going into, but I never had to have any credentials except the year I worked at the Masters Tournament).

Me and a good friend use to sneak into arco in the early 2000's, probably not even an option at the G1C. You know, the whole "act like you belong and they won't bother you" kind of sneaking in........
I did that once at the original ARCO during the 86/87 season. It was kinda easier due to the layout and setup of that smaller building.

Michael Jordan didn't play in SAC during the inaugural 85/86 season, and by the next season the "Air Jordan" hysteria was at a fever pitch. I didn't have tickets to the game, but talked my poor mother into driving me out to ARCO so I could try to get MJ's autograph.

One cool thing about the 1st ARCO was that the visiting players had to exit the building to get to their bus. We knew where that area was, which was right next to one of the fan exit points. We got out there early in the 2nd half and I noticed a few people exiting early for whatever reason. I told my mom if it happens again I'm gonna grab my younger sisters arm and go inside as the people are exiting. Sure enough, a few moments later the door opened and we just went right in.

We got to see much of the 2nd half. MJ scored 40 that game, with some highlight dunks. For some reason, I never tried to sneak in again that season. The next season the newer ARCO opened. The opponents bus was inside the building behind a roll up door. So the 1st two seasons of fairly easy autograph seeking went up in smoke.

On a side note, my hunt for MJ's autograph that night ended up in vain. He exited the building surrounded by a half dozen or so security guards and got right on the bus. I think the next night in Portland he was chased by fans, so the extra attention and precautions were certainly warranted.

All these so-called "experts" are writing off the Kings against the Warriors due to experience. But, Phoenix just went to the NBA Finals in the 20-21 season with a roster full of inexperienced playoff players, except for Chris Paul. They also went through the previous year's experience laden Champs in the First round (the Lakers) to get to the Finals that season.

I still believe that the Kings can make that deep run in the playoffs this year too. They just have to believe in themselves, which I think they do.

GO KINGS!!!

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Experience might matter in a Game 7. The team could be too inexperienced to know not to win their first series in 5 just so they can rack up some win or die experience.

Happens to high seeds.

Though the smoking area?

ARCO had that large smoking area outside that spanned about 10 entrance doors and only had some flimsy 90’s wrestling event guardrail keeping outsiders out. Nobody at the doors to make sure the people coming back in had tickets.

i doubt G1C has such section and even if it did, not enough people smoke nowadays to make event staff not bother regulating the area. That area was packed in the 90’s and early aughts.

I know a lot of people that got in after the first quarter or so through the smokers area.

All these so-called "experts" are writing off the Kings against the Warriors due to experience. But, Phoenix just went to the NBA Finals in the 20-21 season with a roster full of inexperienced playoff players, except for Chris Paul. They also went through the previous year's experience laden Champs in the First round (the Lakers) to get to the Finals that season.

I still believe that the Kings can make that deep run in the playoffs this year too. They just have to believe in themselves, which I think they do.

GO KINGS!!!
The "reasons" come after the conclusions (as in most things). People have opinions for completely different reasons than they claim. And yes, I do have a BA in psychology from ITT tech thank you very much.

"Experience" is very overrated. The reason it's cited so much is because it's the most convenient excuse for not picking the newcomer. Again, the IBM dilemma. But we have experience where it counts anyway: in the head coach.

I think our starters will be able to match the GSW starters blow for blow. I think this series will come down to the benches.

If Monk, Lyles, Mitchelll, Kessler Edwards, Len, TD, Metu can play at a high level, like they were playing right after the ALL Star Break, I think the Kings take this series. I think Monk and Lyles play will be the key to the series.
Also, i can’t help but think about the last time we had an extended break like this. I believe we scored 176 points the last time we had a few days of true rest. Hmmm, I’m hoping we come out firing and settle down into our beautiful offense in game 1 + the extra tenacity we’ve been seeing on defense lately.

Screw that, whoever they put Curry on, i want them cutting and moving until he gets too exhausted to hit those patented 3’s. The key is not letting he or Klay completely obliterate us from that range as they’ve done to us and everyone else over the years.

They’ll get theirs of course, but, it can’t be an outrageous amount and we certainly can’t do that stupid thing where we come flying at a 3 point shooter and fouling or simply contesting the shots too late. I’ll riot.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This was a major major F-up by the Kings front office. They refused to sell tickets early unless you bought season tickets. Then they put them online where apparently brokers snapped them up and sold them at Bay Area prices…..

when Golden 1 center is a pro warriors crowd blame Vivek….

@Vinny Basketballerino if you are in the media I hope you tell this story correctly.
The "reasons" come after the conclusions (as in most things). People have opinions for completely different reasons than they claim. And yes, I do have a BA in psychology from ITT tech thank you very much.

"Experience" is very overrated. The reason it's cited so much is because it's the most convenient excuse for not picking the newcomer. Again, the IBM dilemma. But we have experience where it counts anyway: in the head coach.
RIP to ITT Tech, I went there too. Did you learn anything from attending?

Status
Not open for further replies.