2023 TRADE DEADLINE MEGATHREAD

looking at likely waivers and buyouts, would we consider Kevin Love. I'd put him in there with Noel and Ibaka as possibly guys you might let Len go and pick up one of them for the rest of year?

Also what's up with Danny Green? Is he hurt?
I hate to say it but would Love come here? Or join his ring buddy in LA? I still think looking at bringing back Justin Holiday if he's bought out is what we're looking at here.

I hate to say it but would Love come here? Or join his ring buddy in LA? I still think looking at bringing back Justin Holiday if he's bought out is what we're looking at here.
I had actually identified Love as an off season target for a bench role earlier this season. He can't play defense but is generally still considered a good shooter, rebounder and passer and high iq. I really haven't paid attention to the Cavs this year but is he out of the rotation? He is an expiring so not sure what the incentive would to cut him be unless its a luxury tax situation.

I had actually identified Love as an off season target for a bench role earlier this season. He can't play defense but is generally still considered a good shooter, rebounder and passer and high iq. I really haven't paid attention to the Cavs this year but is he out of the rotation? He is an expiring so not sure what the incentive would to cut him be unless its a luxury tax situation.
A favor thing I'm sure. He looked OK early in the year from what I saw.

I think the ship’s sailed on the three seed. Just gotta avoid the play in. I need a real series. Not a chance to be bounced in the play ins.
Possibly, but the Kings have gone so far beyond their preseason expectation, that nothing would surprise me with this club. So it's there's until they lose it.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I am assuming the Lakers are now good for big men? I do remember when he was a child he thought he was too good to play at UOregon so I guess LA or even the Bay would have more appeal.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Kind of sneakily, but MEM and DEN basically stood pat as well at the deadline. And they're waaaaaaaaaaaay further into their titles hopes than we are. Wonder if their fans are freaking out
I definitely noticed that. Both teams that "it could be their year" but also teams that are well positioned to have "their year" anytime in the next few years.

Kind of sneakily, but MEM and DEN basically stood pat as well at the deadline. And they're waaaaaaaaaaaay further into their titles hopes than we are. Wonder if their fans are freaking out
Memphis better be concerned. The Nuggets have an MVP on their roster so I doubt it. I'm not sure how much better the Nuggets could really get TBH. They're probably in that stage where they figure one more MLE piece and they're good.

I'm not convinced that Holmes doesn't help the team more than Metu, if given regular playing time to get a rhythm going. The one game where he got extended time in LA, he played well
I'm convinced that Holmes > Metu. When it looked for a minute - couple seasons back in limited minutes - that Metu had real stretch-4 potential that would have given him a significant advantage over Holmes (and meant he could now have shared the floor w/Domas). But that was a blip and now Metu hardly takes 3's, which is for the best. Would love to see Holmes get those min behind Domas. Would love to see our other backups 5's get occasional matchup-based runs too, for that matter.

The only thing i can think is that not playing holmes at all had hurt his trade value and no one wanted to take those pieces back. The other issue could be the chemistry is good and they didnt want to mess with it.

I'm convinced that Holmes > Metu. When it looked for a minute - couple seasons back in limited minutes - that Metu had real stretch-4 potential that would have given him a significant advantage over Holmes (and meant he could now have shared the floor w/Domas). But that was a blip and now Metu hardly takes 3's, which is for the best. Would love to see Holmes get those min behind Domas. Would love to see our other backups 5's get occasional matchup-based runs too, for that matter.
Flat out, the Lyles/Metu combo is total feast or famine. They'll go on an offensive run, then give it back and more in a flash. Holmes isn't the greatest defender by any stretch but Brown consistently yanks Metu in and out for a reason. Metu can defend but the effort is way up and down. Plus on switches teams are going to lick their chops. We never got to see Lyles in that backup slot after looking like a great mismatch late in that big win. Oh well.

The only thing i can think is that not playing holmes at all had hurt his trade value and no one wanted to take those pieces back. The other issue could be the chemistry is good and they didnt want to mess with it.
Once they traded for Sabonis and didn't move Holmes that very day (if possible) it was a matter of time before that contract became the new K9/JT. If moving Holmes is at all possible then draft night with a first round pick stuffed in his pocket is the way.

Yeah...based on what has transpired today around the league, I am glad that we didn't "bite the bullet" and swing a deal just to be able to tell people that we swung a deal.

So.

DEN- Gets: Thomas Bryant, Trades: Bones Hyland
MEM- Gets Luke Kennard
LAC- Gets Bones, EG, Plumlee,
Pelicans- Gets: Josh Richardson
Lakers get: DAR-Bamba-Vandy-Beasley
PHX gets KD
DAL gets Kyrie
Blazers get Thybulle

So the Lakers, PHX absolutely cleaned up, LAC really improved their bench but not for any individual major needle mover and DAL is risking Kyrie the experience. Everyone else overall pretty bleh in terms of their deadline improvements.

Perhaps we're more so freaking out because all 3 teams below us are 3 teams that really pushed all-in to make a run. The Lakers Imo are just too far outside of us at this point to be overtly worried about.

So.

DEN- Gets: Thomas Bryant, Trades: Bones Hyland
MEM- Gets Luke Kennard
LAC- Gets Bones, EG, Plumlee,
Pelicans- Gets: Josh Richardson
Lakers get: DAR-Bamba-Vandy-Beasley
PHX gets KD
DAL gets Kyrie
Blazers get Thybulle

So the Lakers, PHX absolutely cleaned up, LAC really improved their bench but not for any individual major needle mover and DAL is risking Kyrie the experience. Everyone else overall pretty bleh in terms of their deadline improvements.

Perhaps we're more so freaking out because all 3 teams below us are 3 teams that really pushed all-in to make a run. The Lakers Imo are just too far outside of us at this point to be overtly worried about.
When/if the Pels get Zion back, that stumbling block in the West might become a brick wall. If Fox keeps being Fox and the Kings can get some of that 3 point magic back they should be able to compete with anyone for the majority of the game. I mean, there's no way to put it as anything other than uh oh on paper. The Suns are a super team, and the teams we were hoping would possibly go the other direction and into the draft sweepstakes just swerved right into the Kings path. Now the hope is that these new squads don't hit the ground running. If there is a team built to find the fatigue issue heading into the postseason, it's the Kings.

When/if the Pels get Zion back, that stumbling block in the West might become a brick wall. If Fox keeps being Fox and the Kings can get some of that 3 point magic back they should be able to compete with anyone for the majority of the game. I mean, there's no way to put it as anything other than uh oh on paper. The Suns are a super team, and the teams we were hoping would possibly go the other direction and into the draft sweepstakes just swerved right into the Kings path. Now the hope is that these new squads don't hit the ground running. If there is a team built to find the fatigue issue heading into the postseason, it's the Kings.
How many pounds will Zion gain being out?