2023 TRADE DEADLINE MEGATHREAD

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Kind of sneakily, but MEM and DEN basically stood pat as well at the deadline. And they're waaaaaaaaaaaay further into their titles hopes than we are. Wonder if their fans are freaking out
I can tell you Denver is pretty happy here. Of course, it doesn't hurt when your center is casually throwing around triple-doubles and wins. Murray and Porter are healthy. When the worst starter is KCP, you're doing OK. My big concern is the bench, but other than that, they don't need to throw anything away to join the "arms race."

It's not sexy, but this is absolutely the right way to view the trade deadline. The quote was from Masai, but I can easily envision this coming out of Monte's mouth. You've built a team with a great amount of thought, assembled a cohesive group of guys that really love to play together. Now, after training camp and 4 months of the season with a steady climb up the standings, there's this pressure to make a significant change to the team. I'd imagine Monte had his list of 4 or 5 targets that they have long coveted for their talent and ability to integrate into the Kings "system". If he didn't get anyone to bite on those 4 or 5 targets, he wasn't going to make a rash decision just to make a move. Monte is a very disciplined guy.... as we've seen in historical deadlines/off seasons. I believe that he (along with Brown) have finally convinced Vivek that they need to be building towards a sustained level of competency and then excellence that will last a number of years.

It's not sexy, but this is absolutely the right way to view the trade deadline. The quote was from Masai, but I can easily envision this coming out of Monte's mouth. You've built a team with a great amount of thought, assembled a cohesive group of guys that really love to play together. Now, after training camp and 4 months of the season with a steady climb up the standings, there's this pressure to make a significant change to the team. I'd imagine Monte had his list of 4 or 5 targets that they have long coveted for their talent and ability to integrate into the Kings "system". If he didn't get anyone to bite on those 4 or 5 targets, he wasn't going to make a rash decision just to make a move. Monte is a very disciplined guy.... as we've seen in historical deadlines/off seasons. I believe that he (along with Brown) have finally convinced Vivek that they need to be building towards a sustained level of competency and then excellence that will last a number of years.
THIS...

If I could "like" this more than just once, I would.

And if I could plaster this comment all over this forum for everyone to see (especially "those" people...) without being overly annoying and unbearable, I most certainly would.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I believe that he (along with Brown) have finally convinced Vivek that they need to be building towards a sustained level of competency and then excellence that will last a number of years.
I've said most of the time that Vivek's failures largely boil down to hiring two horrible GMs and putting faith in them, but I don't think this point can be overstated. Aside from online content creators who need the Kings to do something to give them content, the biggest "do something, do anything" danger we have is Vivek. And we didn't make a move just to make a move. Something the Colin Robinsons of this board would say a dutiful middle manager just trying to save his job would do. It shows the team is sticking to its guns. If you believe in Monte, you should uh... trust the process? oh jesus.

So.

DEN- Gets: Thomas Bryant, Trades: Bones Hyland
MEM- Gets Luke Kennard
LAC- Gets Bones, EG, Plumlee,
Pelicans- Gets: Josh Richardson
Lakers get: DAR-Bamba-Vandy-Beasley
PHX gets KD
DAL gets Kyrie
Blazers get Thybulle

So the Lakers, PHX absolutely cleaned up, LAC really improved their bench but not for any individual major needle mover and DAL is risking Kyrie the experience. Everyone else overall pretty bleh in terms of their deadline improvements.

Perhaps we're more so freaking out because all 3 teams below us are 3 teams that really pushed all-in to make a run. The Lakers Imo are just too far outside of us at this point to be overtly worried about.

Yeah, and overlooked is what people gave up. Phoenix gave up Cam and Bridges. Dallas lost DFS and Dinwiddie. Portland lost Hart and GP.

To me, the teams that are probably significantly better are Phoenix and the lakers. I don’t think LA is so much better that they are beyond the playin. And Phoenix is a real threat in the playoffs, but maybe not regular season. They won’t have KD for 4 games, and then have a 22 game sprint to figure it out. Assuming they will go like 16-6 seems really optimistic, especially if KD misses any more games. There will be some growing pains. But I dont want to play them in the playoffs.

I think Minnesota got better, but not where it swings the race. The Pellies added Richardson, but not clear that is the missing piece. It feels like he is really redundant on their roster. LAC added, but I don’t think their moves tipped the scales. Put differently, Minnesota, NO, and LAC may end the season ahead of us, but I don’t think it is because of what they did today.

I continue to think Dallas is not better off. Portland had a confusing/treadmill day. OKC (not buying) and Utah (selling) suggest they are probably out of the race.

So I think Memphis, Denver and Phoenix are definitely in.

Dallas, Minnesota, Sac, NO, LAC are definitely in at least the playin.

last two spots between GS, LAL, ,Portland, Utah, OKC. I’d bet on GS and LAL.

Given the possibility of a healthy GS and LAL in the playin, it really puts the emphasis on staying top 6.

The Raps got bested, period. Once the Nets went boom that over the moon package they wanted for OG wasn't happening. KD hits the market and 2nd bests drop drastically. The thing about it though is the east depleting to feed the West might open a spot for the Raptors now. Yah for mediocrity!

Buyouts im watching would be Nerlens Noel, Will Barton, and Pat Bev. Id love to pick up Noel and Barton for the bench squad. Barton would be a legit backup for barnes at the SF though he isnt the defender he was pre-injury. The other guy I'd keep my eye on is Andre Drummond who would be good for rim protection and rebounding when sabonis is on the bench. That said, i think that Holmes and lyles combo should also be given some run time instead of Metu. I think with some consistent time, Holmes may be able to contribute more reliably and would be a better rebounder and rim protector than metu.

Buyouts im watching would be Nerlens Noel, Will Barton, and Pat Bev. Id love to pick up Noel and Barton for the bench squad. Barton would be a legit backup for barnes at the SF though he isnt the defender he was pre-injury. The other guy I'd keep my eye on is Andre Drummond who would be good for rim protection and rebounding when sabonis is on the bench. That said, i think that Holmes and lyles combo should also be given some run time instead of Metu. I think with some consistent time, Holmes may be able to contribute more reliably and would be a better rebounder and rim protector than metu.
The buyout market is going to be interesting. I can totally see these new superteams adding more depth unfortunately.

The Raps got bested, period. Once the Nets went boom that over the moon package they wanted for OG wasn't happening. KD hits the market and 2nd bests drop drastically. The thing about it though is the east depleting to feed the West might open a spot for the Raptors now. Yah for mediocrity!
On one hand sure. On the other hand the raptors have a ton of talent and could still figure it out. Not a terrible plan to see if that happens on their part

I guess you can look at it like that. Or, you can assume they weren’t simply trying unload OG, that they set a price they had to get in order to trade him, they didn’t get it and so happily moved on with a player they otherwise felt was super valuable. They stuck to their guns.

Kings have one All Star reserve, maybe two, depending on injury replacements. But they have the best offence in the NBA because the team has been carefully constructed and each piece compliments the other.

Phoenix acquired an all NBA talent/ offensive cheat code, but gave up it's All Defence/ DPOY candidate who was also the perfect complimentary piece on offence. I'm not going to bet against Durant, but this feels like "plan A didn't work, let's take a punt".

I like (don't like) the Lakers moves because they added high quality support players that complement their stars and removed an oncourt cancer.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kings have one All Star reserve, maybe two, depending on injury replacements. But they have the best offence in the NBA because the team has been carefully constructed and each piece compliments the other.

Phoenix acquired an all NBA talent/ offensive cheat code, but gave up it's All Defence/ DPOY candidate who was also the perfect complimentary piece on offence. I'm not going to bet against Durant, but this feels like "plan A didn't work, let's take a punt".

I like (don't like) the Lakers moves because they added high quality support players that complement their stars and removed an oncourt cancer.
Not like D-Lo is much better in that regard though

Plumlee was the one I was upset about since he only cost one ‘28 second rounder but we would have had to trade Len and either Metu or Delly to match salaries. Maybe Monte valued the Chemistry with Metu or the leadership of Delly over the 10-15 back up minutes

There’s going to come a breaking point in a season or two where teams are going to have so few picks to move that the trade market is going to stagnate.
I know one thing, agents can't like this activity. At all. Look at the Warriors for example. They might be on the way to killing or certainly depreciating the opportunities for all that recent 1st round lottery talent they had.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Naw, Someone will have those picks and not enough rosters spots for picks.
Ainge has shown in the past that he’ll just pick guys who become busts instead of trading picks for actual players. Presti has sorta shown the same thing. No idea what the Pels are going to do with their picks. Nets are probably going to cycle through those picks they acquired since they don’t actually have their own picks thanks to the original Harden trade.

We’ll see but I think the league has thoroughly split between win now teams with no assets and win in five years teams with all the assets with the exception of the Kings, Pels, Grizzlies (all currently younger playoff teams with most of their own picks intact+).

No way Carlisle starts Mathurin next to Buddy and Haliburton. If anything, Benn would be pushed further down the rotation by OG.
maybe not right away but I think Mathurin can get better defensively. At some point they probably would have looked for a stretch 4 or maybe nesmith figured it out

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
No way Carlisle starts Mathurin next to Buddy and Haliburton. If anything, Benn would be pushed further down the rotation by OG.
Pacers fans are apoplectic about Benn's play since Hali came back. He was putting up big numbers in his absence but has had a huge minutes reduction since the return, and have one win over a Foxless Kings to show for all of this.

Also I'm a TJ McConnell fan, but he is eating up Nemby's minutes too. They are burying their young players outside Haliburton. The smartest thing KP can do up there is get a new coach stat.