Kings trade Moe Harkless, Justin Holiday a protected first round pick for Kevin Huerter

gunks

Hall of Famer
Then do we say people forget how to coach in Sactown? Joeger, Malone, Gentry, Karl, all had successful coaching careers but failed miserably. Coaching was less the issue and poos GMing and owners (Magoofs and Vivek) were the real culprits.
Yeah, poo rolls downhill alright! I've always been happy to blame our owners. They've been miserable. Not sure about those coach examples though.... but nothing I can say about it that Tetsu didn't mention already a few posts up.

Between the terrible owners, rosters, FOs, and coaches that have been associated with the franchise these past two decades, it kinda makes one wonder why we're all still here.... Aside from SLAB, I think he draws some kind of strange sustenance from the everlasting sorrow of Kings fandom.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, poo rolls downhill alright! I've always been happy to blame our owners. They've been miserable. Not sure about those coach examples though.... but nothing I can say about it that Tetsu didn't mention already a few posts up.

Between the terrible owners, rosters, FOs, and coaches that have been associated with the franchise these past two decades, it kinda makes one wonder why we're all still here.... Aside from SLAB, I think he draws some kind of strange sustenance from the everlasting sorrow of Kings fandom.
Hell, it only took SLAB a week to recover from the shock of us selecting Keegan Murray.

Huerter was the second best player for the Hawks during their ECF run in 2021. Not a particularly awesome defender but probably around Bogi level and gives us secondary creation and legit basketball IQ.
That's being nice on the defensive opinion. The draft criteria tells you where the Kings org hopes to be each year....but +.500 in March ALL THAT MATTERS. I like the Monk Free Agency signing better than this trade some.

Well, Joerger was right in wanting Luka over Bagley who Williams wanted.
Divac was the GM who made that pick. Williams and Joerger are not relevant in regards to that final decision. They can voice their opinions, but don't have final say. If Joerger wants his roster choices to be the final decision, then he needs to become a GM. Williams is not important and when fans bring him in to the Luka discussion, it gives Vlade a pass he didn't earn.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Hell, it only took SLAB a week to recover from the shock of us selecting Keegan Murray.
I’m still generally staying out of the Keegan discussion. The ever rising optimism I keep reading about this guy blows my mind. I think he’ll be… fine. He won’t be a bust. But I’m still thoroughly uninspired by the pick. I want to be wrong, I really do.

True. But we're talking about a two year window. And an FRP.
Right, but after seeing what holiday brought after the trade last year, it’s hard to imagine the guy is on the upswing. I get your point, the averages aren’t all that different, but Huerter is 23 with presumably more growth in his game and under a good (not great) contract.

I’m still generally staying out of the Keegan discussion. The ever rising optimism I keep reading about this guy blows my mind. I think he’ll be… fine. He won’t be a bust. But I’m still thoroughly uninspired by the pick. I want to be wrong, I really do.
You'll get your wish. :D

Right, but after seeing what holiday brought after the trade last year, it’s hard to imagine the guy is on the upswing. I get your point, the averages aren’t all that different, but Huerter is 23 with presumably more growth in his game and under a good (not great) contract.
Holiday's numbers in the 25 games with the Kings were 8.3 ppg, 2.2 rpg, and 1.5 apg on 34.8% from the field and 34.2% from 3 with a PER of 7.9 in just a couple mpg less than what he was getting in Indy. In short, he played some of the worst basketball of his career in that stretch.

Divac was the GM who made that pick. Williams and Joerger are not relevant in regards to that final decision. They can voice their opinions, but don't have final say. If Joerger wants his roster choices to be the final decision, then he needs to become a GM. Williams is not important and when fans bring him in to the Luka discussion, it gives Vlade a pass he didn't earn.
By all means Williams is understood to have been the loudest voice in the room on that decision. I don’t think acknowledging that lets Vlade off the hook since he has never wavered from insisting it was the right call.

I think the important/good thing is that at present this org seems free of a Pete/BW/Dumars character in the front office. How long can it last?

Joerger and Malone were good coaches who succumbed to weird power struggles with their GMs (in Joerger's case almost entirely of his own making). George Karl was in it for the paid vacation and Gentry was in a total no-win situation and is still on the staff.
Karl made the mistake of daring to suggest Boogie was tradeable, and somehow the fans sided with Boogie. Not long after Karl was run out of town, Boogie was traded…which turned out to be fortunate. What if we’d done the deed while Karl was still employed?

Karl made the mistake of daring to suggest Boogie was tradeable, and somehow the fans sided with Boogie. Not long after Karl was run out of town, Boogie was traded…which turned out to be fortunate. What if we’d done the deed while Karl was still employed?
Playing the “What If” game as a Kings fan is like playing Russian roulette with a bullet in every chamber.

No Karl couldn't coach any more. He can barely talk with his throat issues. The assistants were doing everything.

IMHO, no coach should be suggesting their players are tradable (especially their star player), when the are currently coaching them. The coach is supposed to have his players back, not stabbing them in the back.

Top 57 is not bad. Thats average of 2nd best shooter on any team.
151st is the 5th best shooter on the worst shooting team haha. 57th from 3 is the second best shooter on the third from last place 3 point shooting team. This ain’t the stat to champion DDV

Edit : I’ll add that his FG%, 3P%, and FT% were pretty bad while with the Kings, they were actually better than other seasons he’s had prior. So I don’t know how much the arrow is pointing up on bettering those numbers.

Last edited:
IMHO, no coach should be suggesting their players are tradable (especially their star player), when the are currently coaching them. The coach is supposed to have his players back, not stabbing them in the back.
Kings fans: XXX can't win because our roster is bad!!

Also Kings fans: You can't say that your players are tradeable!

Just for recollection, I think this was the particular quote: I’ve had some great players and I’ve never had one player that I have said is untradeable. You always got to be ready for the possibility of a great trade that could come your way.”

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kings fans: XXX can't win because our roster is bad!!

Also Kings fans: You can't say that your players are tradeable!

Just for recollection, I think this was the particular quote: I’ve had some great players and I’ve never had one player that I have said is untradeable. You always got to be ready for the possibility of a great trade that could come your way.”
There's a huge, massive, absolutely undeniable difference between fans saying they want a guy traded and an actual head coach wanting a guy to be traded.

Last edited:
There's a huge, massive, absolutely undeniable difference between fans saying they want a guy traded than an actual head coach wanting a guy to be traded.
While it is factual that Karl did indeed want Cousins traded eventually, at that particular point he simply said that no one was untradeable. There's a huge, massive, absolutely undeniable difference between an actual head coach publicly saying nobody is untouchable and saying he wants a guy traded. Cousins took offense to the former.