Kings trade Moe Harkless, Justin Holiday a protected first round pick for Kevin Huerter

LMFAO.

I just watched a CBS Sports HQ report about this trade and was quickly reminded why I always mock the Nat’l media talking heads for not knowing jack $#/t. Same applies to the NFL too.

The reporter brought in Avery Johnson — who everyone knows is a former player and coach — and when asked how far away the KINGS are from being a playoff team he actually brought up Buddy Hield‘s name saying the KINGS need to figure out what they’re gonna do about his unhappiness and citing that he wants to be traded to the LAL.

As I’ve said before, these media guys follow like 4-5 teams and can’t be bothered to do their job and actually have in depth knowledge about the entire league. It’s laughable when these guys are put on the spot to talk about teams and presented as expert analysts.

Smh

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Huerter's a nice pickup - all in all an upgrade over DDV, especially for this team, one that a week ago desperately needed more outside shooting.

As many have noted, defense is a concern all around - and, in light of that, I'm also worried about rebounding. DDV was a phenomenal rebounder for the position; Huerter is not. Huerter/Fox/Mitchell/Monk - maybe the worst rebounding backcourt rotation in the league. It's one big reason I think Murray will get plenty of minutes. Kings'll need his work on the boards. And when Sabonis isn't on the floor...? Yikes. Mediocre defense and weak rebounding is a miserable combo, especially for a team that'll want to push the ball.

One thing that'll help the defense, in addition to Brown's chops and emphasis on that end: team depth. Right now I count at least 10 rotation-worthy guys.

Fox/Mitchell
Huerter/Monk
Barnes/Huerter
Murray/Lyles/Metu
Sabonis/Holmes

The Warriors played a deep rotation as a matter of course, and it wasn't just cuz they were sitting guys late in blowouts. Warriors had just one guy playing 34+ mpg (Curry); Kings had three at any given time (Fox, Barnes, Sabonis/Haliburton). Speaking those minutes out some and playing harder - that alone will help.
Valid concern. Another reason why I don't see Barnes in the cards for this team next season, and maybe not Holmes either.

Well at 6'7" its not unreasonable. That said i see him at the 3 off the bench next to mitchell (1) and TD (2). Mitchell and TD can hid him a bit on defense and he can be a 2nd ball handler and facilitator on that second unit.
I was actually just thinking about that as a possible line up. Would be asked to be our point getter on the second line as well, a spot I think he’d excel at.

There's no way we were going to fill every hole this offseason. There's a lot better chance that adding three shooters will unlock the full potential of the Fox & Ox connection than adding a defensive player was going to make a real difference in our overall defense. The best chance of improving from a bottom-of-the barrel defense is the whole roster buying into a team concept.

… how protected are we talking?
per Ham, “League source confirms the details of the pick involved in the Kevin Huerter trade. Kings first-rounder is lottery-protected in 2024, top-12 in 2025, top-10 in 2026 and converts into two seconds if it isn’t conveyed in 2026.”

He’s better (and way younger) that Bogi
Not sure about better currently... But i do think he can be as good or better in the future. I just worry he will be one of those guys who forgets how to play when he gets paid or winds up in Sac or both.

Btw, anyone thinking with the current roster, we are in a good situation to be able to take a flyer with our remaining money for TJ Warren? $4M BAE (with 2nd year being a TO)?

gunks

Hall of Famer
Not sure about better currently... But i do think he can be as good or better in the future. I just worry he will be one of those guys who forgets how to play when he gets paid or winds up in Sac or both.

Btw, anyone thinking with the current roster, we are in a good situation to be able to take a flyer with our remaining money for TJ Warren? $4M BAE (with 2nd year being a TO)?
I think there's a direct correlation between players "forgetting how to play when they get to Sac" and the straight up dog crap quality of coaching we've had in these parts for almost two decades now.

Remains to be seen how it goes with Brown, but I think he exceeds the low low bar set in the Luke/Gentry era at least.

45% of the time on defense Huerter guarded one of the other teams forwards. Just an idea that Huerter has in the past defended opposing 3’s so it’s not something completely new to him.
He can at times the question is overall fit. He also played a lot with Hunter next to him or someone like Wrigh or Bogdan. Can he do that with Fox/Monk, or even Fox/Mitchell? That's the question. This unit is smaller than the Hawks.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Not another version of Bogi unless he pounds the hell out of the ball, jacks dumb 3s, and gives up easy offensive rebounds to opposing guards by passively ball watching on defense.

Although I did just give crappy Kings players the benefit of the doubt due to crappy coaching a few posts ago, so maybe Bogi was just another casualty.

Last edited:
I think there's a direct correlation between players "forgetting how to play when they get to Sac" and the straight up dog crap quality of coaching we've had in these parts for almost two decades now.

Remains to be seen how it goes with Brown, but I think he exceeds the low low bar set in the Luke/Gentry era at least.
Then do we say people forget how to coach in Sactown? Joeger, Malone, Gentry, Karl, all had successful coaching careers but failed miserably. Coaching was less the issue and poos GMing and owners (Magoofs and Vivek) were the real culprits.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Then do we say people forget how to coach in Sactown? Joeger, Malone, Gentry, Karl, all had successful coaching careers but failed miserably. Coaching was less the issue and poos GMing and owners (Magoofs and Vivek) were the real culprits.
Joerger and Malone were good coaches who succumbed to weird power struggles with their GMs (in Joerger's case almost entirely of his own making). George Karl was in it for the paid vacation and Gentry was in a total no-win situation and is still on the staff.

Joerger and Malone were good coaches who succumbed to weird power struggles with their GMs (in Joerger's case almost entirely of his own making). George Karl was in it for the paid vacation and Gentry was in a total no-win situation and is still on the staff.
I get all that, but we always blamed the coaches. The reality is the rosters have been utter trash. Not a single good roster in 16 years. Bad decision after bad decisions. Im hoping this is changing. Monte had a deep deep hole to dig out of but so far this roster looks at least capable of competing, IF they buy in and put some heart into the defense. I just hope they get a bit of stability. New and 1st coaching hire of this now year 3 GM. I would lime the GM and the coach to at least be put on the same contract period so that there is some stability.

How sad have we been getting happy as GMs made moves for cast offs from other teams, we hoped would fit in well and suddenly take off (as if we were seeing diamonds other teams were just missing). This is the first time we are acquiring actual YOUNG contributors. Hope something pans out for us.