Kings trade Moe Harkless, Justin Holiday a protected first round pick for Kevin Huerter

I’m not enjoying the “ignore defense” approach McNair is taking. We’ve been a bottom 10 defensive team essentially every year we’ve missed the playoffs during this drought. Do we really think Brown is such a difference maker that he’s going to lift this team to defend at least an average level? God I hope so…
Eh, we basically just got started yesterday. Defense is great but shooting was also a huge necessity around here. One thing at a time

Im not sure our 4.1 BiAnn exception is enough to get either of the Martin Twins, both RFA
A 4.1 mil offer sheet probably wont cut it

Summer League signing may be only place to shop - Keon? Poach another team SF standout?

I’m officially starting to get excited.

This is exactly what the Kings needed to do. The reason the momentum of the Domas trade died so quickly was because the Kings couldn’t sustain credible outside shooting which made the Fox/Domas puzzle a quick solve after a few games.

Huerter, Monk, (maybe)Vezenkov…this is the correct way to build around Domas and Fox.

Monte is making moves

and no, I’m not too worried about the defense. The Kings are much closer to becoming a dynamic offensive juggernaut than they are of become a shutdown defensive team. I don’t mind seeing how far offense can carry the team…and then evaluate how to fill defensive holes without compromising the name of the game(ball in basket). Especially since the current goal is as modest as simply winning more games than they lose.

With Walton gone, and with the moves made this off-season, including the Sabonis trade. I will watch my Kings play again. First time I have been excited for the team in close to a decade. We legitimately can fight for the 8th seed now if Brown can put it all together.

At least one more trade is upon us for sure.

This is a great trade. I think we can get better with our defense. Monte has been stacking high iq players, similar to a team like the Warriors. Warriors aren't exactly full of insane athletes, but what they are filled with is extremely high iq players that play good team defense.

Now I'm not saying we will be the Warriors, but I think we can be far better than what we have been as a team on defense. As long as we have a good system.

So whats lineup?
And should we keep Barnes at this point?
And can we get Bamba and dump Holmes?
I think you are starting Fox-Huerter-Barnes-Murray-Sabonis and then coming with Mitchell, Monk, Davis, and Holmes off the bench for a 9 man rotation. Add in some Lyles or Metu as needed, keep Len as a third big body, and give room at the end of the rotation and in Stockton for guys like Ellis and Queta to develop.

The guys off the bench (Mitchell, Monk, and Davis) are small, but I think you are probably running some three guard lineups for some limited parts of the game (with Davis or Monk as the 3), and you are probably running some Huerter at 3, with Barnes/Murray at the 4. Overall, a lot of potential to do different things.

I think the best lineup is Fox-Huerter-Barnes-Murray-Sabonis. Or maybe sit Murray if he isn't ready, and replace him with Mitchell or Monk depending on what you need. This roster could also go lots of different looks for a few minutes at a time:

Cutter and shooter heavy- Monk-Huerter-Barnes-Murray-Sabonis
Small and fast- Fox-Mitchell-Monk-Murray-Holmes
Small ball 5- Fox-Monk-Huerter-Barnes-Murray
Big - Fox- Huerter- Barnes- Lyles- Sabonis

Lots of possibilities

dude12

Hall of Famer
Really like the deal. Monte putting pieces around Fox and Sabonis that fit. 3 point shooting to help Fox and cutters, high IQ guys for Sabonis to feed. Coach Brown is going to be creative in maximizing the defense. So far, this team makeup is way more talented than what we have had.

Yes. Can't trade a first until 2028, at least, right now. Once the pick conveys then we can trade picks again. It goes like this:
2023? No, Stepien Rule
2024? To ATL 15-30
2025? No, because to ATL 13-30 if not 2024
2026? No, because to ATL 11-30 if not 2024/2025
2027? No, Stepien Rule
2028? YES
Picks can’t be traded with conveyance contingent on the Atlanta pick?

Really like the deal. Monte putting pieces around Fox and Sabonis that fit. 3 point shooting to help Fox and cutters, high IQ guys for Sabonis to feed. Coach Brown is going to be creative in maximizing the defense. So far, this team makeup is way more talented than what we have had.
Brown has his work cut out for him on defense for sure, but a good offense trumps a good defense anyway.

While I will say I was very down on not bringing back DDV, i do think overall we got better at the 2. That said, we are have 1 defensive player and that is Mitchell. That is going to be a big problem. The warriors werent just a good defense because they have high IQ players despite only a handful of standout athletes, they had a number of high IQ players who mads their papers primarily with their defense or had the physical gifts to be grimy defenders which were unlocked by the warriors (ie they got those guys to buy into being grimy defenders).

Guys like GP2, Otto Porter, Draymond and Klay were always strong to excellent defenders. The main player voice on the team is a former DPOY and 7 time all nba defensive team guy... So we are not in the same boat. We however can make progress by getting guys with the physical tools to be good defenders and the guys without physical tools to be average to just below average (they are abysmal currently so just below average is an upgrade).

Guys with the ability to be + defenders include Fox, Monk, TD, Barnes, Murray, Holmes, metu, len and Sabonis. If half of these guys develop to at least be interested in defense, we can significantly improve. Sabonis has in the past been a reasonable to good defender, so we need a system which works for these guys. The physical tools are there however.

Abysmal defensers who dont have the physical gifts are Huerter and Lyles if we can get them from abysmal to meh id consider it a win.

The most balanced lineup here that i see is:
Fox/Mitchell
Monk/TD
Barnes/Huerter
Murray/Lyles/Metu
Sabonis/Holmes/Len

I dont see Monk playing behind Huerter given his chemistry with Fox. Additionally, Huerter has very good BBQ IQ and is likely as good if not a better facilitator than Mitchell at this point which will help unlock mitchell to score but also helps holmes in a PnR game (i expect Huerter and Holmes will be very regular match in that role off the bench). Monk is a great shooter too, but as far a slashing to the basket for passes from Sabonis, i think Monk will be better than Huerter.

Defensively, i also think Monk can be hidden by Barnes (and Fox if he buys into playing defense) and TD and Mitchell can hid Huerter a bit.

As for the FRP, i dont expect it will ever convey unless we make the playoffs, in which case it wont matter as much i think. In the last 14 years we have picked exactly 1 time outside the top 10, and that was Haliburton. The only other time was 2019 when our picks had stupidly been sent to PHI and subsequently Boston.

Overall a good trade.

Love it! i like that Huerter & Monk can handle the rock and have playmaking ability. hopefully backup SF, backup PF, barnes & holmes can all be replaced by lockdowns defenders now.

Yes, but the Stepien rule really messes things up. Can't trade the 2024 or 2025 contingently due to that. Could trade the 2026 (contingent on conveying to ATL in 2024) or 2027 (contingent on conveying to ATL in 2024 or 2025).
The Stepien rule is crazy stupid. It seems like a byproduct of a different age of NBA GMing.

I predict Murray won’t be only playing the 4, but a lot of 3 due

Sasha and KM can easily hold down the 3 spot in rotation to relieve players on the block. Barnes isn’t alone, but we should retain him for sure.
Maybe Murray follows a Paul Milsap development arc. My money is on him following an Al Horford arc and whether he can defend the 5 like Horford will ultimately determine his ceiling.

I know there was a lot of talk going into the offseaon about the Kings/Vivek wanting to "Win now"

Some have even made the preposterous claim that Keegan Murray fell in line with that (which i refuse to believe)

But quite clearly the Kings are walking that fine line between Win Now and bringing in younger guys who fit with the core.