Kings trade Moe Harkless, Justin Holiday a protected first round pick for Kevin Huerter

I know there was a lot of talk going into the offseaon about the Kings/Vivek wanting to "Win now"

Some have even made the preposterous claim that Keegan Murray fell in line with that (which i refuse to believe)

But quite clearly the Kings are walking that fine line between Win Now and bringing in younger guys who fit with the core.
Yeah I'm pleased. Clearly Huerter was in the plans, which makes losing DDV (who didn't want to be here) easier to swallow. Monk and Huerter both fill tremendous needs in the now with their shooting/playmaking/scoring, while still having theoretical upside left on their game. For the Kings? That's about as good as you can hope for in FA.

Would like to see a wing added with the BAE and potentially a Holmes trade, but this is as good a roster the Kings have fielded in a long time.

Getting another high IQ guys is great and he's a good shooter, but I think his price tag is slightly steep and I don't think he can play SF against decent sized ones that well he's not strong enough imo Bogi could play SF better than Huerter. I give this a 6. or 7/10 atm. I'm glad the Kings are actually signing smart players. If the Kings could trade Barnes/Holmes now imo that would make it a even better offseason.

This is a pretty solid trade in my eyes, and definitely helps ease the loss of Divincenzo. Ultimately, I think Monk/Huerter/Murray is a sizable upgrade to DDV/Harkless/Holiday. The Kings get a little younger, with a bit more upside, and they certainly add a lot more outside shooting. I remain as skeptical as everyone else that Mike Brown will be able to improve the team's defense into even the top-20 range, but I suppose that's the challenge ahead and why the Kings are paying him the big bucks.

Yeah I'm pleased. Clearly Huerter was in the plans, which makes losing DDV (who didn't want to be here) easier to swallow. Monk and Huerter both fill tremendous needs in the now with their shooting/playmaking/scoring, while still having theoretical upside left on their game. For the Kings? That's about as good as you can hope for in FA.

Would like to see a wing added with the BAE and potentially a Holmes trade, but this is as good a roster the Kings have fielded in a long time.
I think that Murray is that wing. I know you keep slotting him into the PF spot in your depth chart but I think he's the SF and Barnes is the PF honestly.

I have watched a lot of Huerter over the years. Living in NY, I saw the Hawks/Knicks series a few years back. Huerter was extremely solid throughout the series. Very impressed. Last year I had Trae Young on 2 of my fantasy teams. I watched a lot of Hawks games. Huerter can play. He is a solid shooter and has play making ability. What I liked most about him was that he's a tough guy that doesn't back down. You look at him and think he will be a pushover. Far from it. He doesn't take crap on the court and will get in the face of his opponent. He may not have the strength and lateral quickness of the all world defenders, but he will play hard on defense and fight to the end. Just the kind of guy you want on your team.

Yes. Can't trade a first until 2028, at least, right now. Once the pick conveys then we can trade picks again. It goes like this:
2023? No, Stepien Rule
2024? To ATL 15-30
2025? No, because to ATL 13-30 if not 2024
2026? No, because to ATL 11-30 if not 2024/2025
2027? No, Stepien Rule
2028? YES
Technically, couldn’t they still offer an unprotected FRP if in the top 14 in 2024 or if top 12 in 2025, etc?

They would convey a FRP to only one team regardless of the outcome.

Looks like we're trying to gun our way to 8th and a first round exit, which I'd honestly be super psyched on after this crazy long post season drought.
As I said before, if true — that’s in no way, shape of form “winning now”.

That is extremely short-sighted nonsense. And this fan won’t be super psyched in the least.

Having the super low bar goal of being hyper focused on stopping the playoff drought so people will stop poking fun at you is yet another example why Vivek is the worst chairman owner in sports.

I’ve never been much of a fan of Huerter so I’m far from thrilled about this move. That said, I’ll continue to trust that Monte McNair knows what he’s doing until proven otherwise.

Technically, couldn’t they still offer an unprotected FRP if in the top 14 in 2024 or if top 12 in 2025, etc?

They would convey a FRP to only one team regardless of the outcome.
No because they cant trade 2 years in a row, ATL can still get the pick the next year.

The only time they can trade it is after (negotiated during, but consamated after the new year) the draft.

I suspect that if the Stepien Rule didn't exist that some GMs would go back to trading picks like they were candy.
Well, the only difference now is that they are handing out picks like candy but it’s pushing out the impact significantly into the future. What’s a bigger risk for the franchise taking a shot at a superstar via trade? 3 FRPs over the next 3 drafts or next 6? It’s not stopping GMs from mortgaging the future, it’s just spreading out the pain twice as long.

No because they cant trade 2 years in a row, ATL can still get the pick the next year.

The only time they can trade it is after (negotiated during, but consamated after the new year.
Only if it’s 14-30. If it’s 1-13 why can’t the KINGS theoretically still trade it? There’s no conflict under that scenario.

Huerter's a nice pickup - all in all an upgrade over DDV, especially for this team, one that a week ago desperately needed more outside shooting.

As many have noted, defense is a concern all around - and, in light of that, I'm also worried about rebounding. DDV was a phenomenal rebounder for the position; Huerter is not. Huerter/Fox/Mitchell/Monk - maybe the worst rebounding backcourt rotation in the league. It's one big reason I think Murray will get plenty of minutes. Kings'll need his work on the boards. And when Sabonis isn't on the floor...? Yikes. Mediocre defense and weak rebounding is a miserable combo, especially for a team that'll want to push the ball.

One thing that'll help the defense, in addition to Brown's chops and emphasis on that end: team depth. Right now I count at least 10 rotation-worthy guys.

Fox/Mitchell
Huerter/Monk
Barnes/Huerter
Murray/Lyles/Metu
Sabonis/Holmes

The Warriors played a deep rotation as a matter of course, and it wasn't just cuz they were sitting guys late in blowouts. Warriors had just one guy playing 34+ mpg (Curry); Kings had three at any given time (Fox, Barnes, Sabonis/Haliburton). Spreading those minutes out some and playing harder - that alone will help.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Only if it’s 14-30. If it’s 1-13 why can’t the KINGS theoretically still trade it? There’s no conflict under that scenario.
The Stepien Rule prohibits any trade that could possibly result in a team having no FRPs in two consecutive future drafts. Since under that scenario it would be possible to have to send a FRP to Team A in 2024 and a FRP to ATL in 2025, that falls afoul of the Stepien Rule.

Its like Schroedingers Cat. The pick both has and hasn't been traded. Until the lottery balls are dealt, the pick is considered traded. If the kings make the playoffs, then the pick will actually move, BUT if they are in the lottery, the same issue moves to the following year but with top 12 protection instead of top 14. Then so on the following year for with top 10 protection.

From my understanding, what they CAN do however, is make a selection for another team using their pick and send that player as part of a package to get return (ie, if Kings are picking at 12 in '24 and there is a player at 12 that another team covets, the kings can make that pick for them and send them that player in return for a package they like).

Btw its weird that like many of us, even ESPN is unsure if there was cap space vs MLE used to sign Monk. If it was MLE then we have the BAE left. If it was cap space, then we have $5M in MLE AND 4M BAE left.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/34131478/nba-trade-grades-breaking-every-move-draft-day

I think if we have money, with the team we assembled, it wouldnt be the worst idea for swing for a TJ Warren deal maybe using the $4M BAE with for 2 yrs with the 2nd year being a TO OR the $5M MLE if we actually have it available.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm pleased.

Cody Martin – Charlotte Hornets (restricted): Like his twin brother, Cody Martin has also come a long way in his development. He’s not quite the shooter his brother is, but he’s close. Both are two of the better 3&D options on the market. Unlike the Heat, the Hornets tend to get overly frugal and sometimes that causes them to let players slip away. Keep an eye on this Martin twin.

Throw your BAE to Cody - seems like best Backup SF FA avail in our price range
If not then Bring Sasha over

We can always sign Wings to min contracts from SL
Ellis & Rhoden or Horne for 2 - two-way contracts make Queta Regular contr

Last edited:
Well, the only difference now is that they are handing out picks like candy but it’s pushing out the impact significantly into the future. What’s a bigger risk for the franchise taking a shot at a superstar via trade? 3 FRPs over the next 3 drafts or next 6? It’s not stopping GMs from mortgaging the future, it’s just spreading out the pain twice as long.
And likely to the next GM :)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Btw its weird that like many of us, even ESPN is unsure if there was cap space vs MLE used to sign Monk. If it was MLE then we have the BAE left. If it was cap space, then we have $5M in MLE AND 4M BAE left.
No - if it were cap space, the moment we waived enough cap holds to clear the space to sign more than the BAE (such as the Monk contract), the BAE evaporates. Poof! It's gone, and it doesn't come back. But if we signed Monk with cap space, then we would have the Room MLE available, which is a bit more than the BAE at a reported $5.4M.

gunks

Hall of Famer
As I said before, if true — that’s in no way, shape of form “winning now”.

That is extremely short-sighted nonsense. And this fan won’t be super psyched in the least.

Having the super low bar goal of being hyper focused on stopping the playoff drought so people will stop poking fun at you is yet another example why Vivek is the worst chairman owner in sports.
I just don't think it's as black and white as when we had Vlade "running" the show. Goofus couldn't plan further out than his next cigarette.

It looks like McNair is setting up the Fox/Sabonis core for as much success as possible with all the shooters so he can gauge how far a team built around them could conceivably take us in the post season. I'd say Sabonis's deal is the timeline on that, and Fox is the only real big money we're locked into.

What else should we do? Tank forever?

Last edited:
The Stepien Rule prohibits any trade that could possibly result in a team having no FRPs in two consecutive future drafts. Since under that scenario it would be possible to have to send a FRP to Team A in 2024 and a FRP to ATL in 2025, that falls afoul of the Stepien Rule.
Eh, I forgot about that stupid consecutive draft rule. Probably because it’s so ridiculously stupid.

Thanks for the reminder.

From my understanding, what they CAN do however, is make a selection for another team using their pick and send that player as part of a package to get return.
Yet another reason why the rule is ridiculously stupid.

Brought to us by the same geniuses that think it makes sense to make traded players on draft night wear the hat of the team they won’t be playing for. SMH.

Why they can’t follow the lead of the NFL, who for all their own problems manage to run the very best, most popular draft of all the pro sports leagues, is beyond me.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I still get the feeling that Barnes is going to be traded. He's in his last contract year and I don't think he re-signs. I still see a more physical athletic younger wing in the cards, but it may be just wishful thinking.

LMFAO.

I just watched a CBS Sports HQ report about this trade and was quickly reminded why I always mock the Nat’l media talking heads for not knowing jack $#/t. Same applies to the NFL too.

The reporter brought in Avery Johnson — who everyone knows is a former player and coach — and when asked how far away the KINGS are from being a playoff team he actually brought up Buddy Hield‘s name saying the KINGS need to figure out what they’re gonna do about his unhappiness and citing that he wants to be traded to the LAL.

As I’ve said before, these media guys follow like 4-5 teams and can’t be bothered to do their job and actually have in depth knowledge about the entire league. It’s laughable when these guys are put on the spot to talk about teams and presented as expert analysts.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Its like Schroedingers Cat. The pick both has and hasn't been traded. Until the lottery balls are dealt, the pick is considered traded. If the kings make the playoffs, then the pick will actually move, BUT if they are in the lottery, the same issue moves to the following year but with top 12 protection instead of top 14. Then so on the following year for with top 10 protection.

From my understanding, what they CAN do however, is make a selection for another team using their pick and send that player as part of a package to get return (ie, if Kings are picking at 12 in '24 and there is a player at 12 that another team covets, the kings can make that pick for them and send them that player in return for a package they like).

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/34131478/nba-trade-grades-breaking-every-move-draft-day

I think if we have money, with the team we assembled, it wouldnt be the worst idea for swing for a TJ Warren deal maybe using the $4M BAE with for 2 yrs with the 2nd year being a TO OR the $5M MLE if we actually have it available.
You get the winner of this thread award just from the Schroedinger's Cat reference. Everything else is secondary.

45% of the time on defense Huerter guarded one of the other teams forwards. Just an idea that Huerter has in the past defended opposing 3’s so it’s not something completely new to him.
Well at 6'7" its not unreasonable. That said i see him at the 3 off the bench next to mitchell (1) and TD (2). Mitchell and TD can hid him a bit on defense and he can be a 2nd ball handler and facilitator on that second unit.