KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the Kings draft Ivey and then trade Davion to a team in need of a PG in exchange for a wing?
I think they might have to... that is if Barnes is involved in the Collins deal. At the very least, it would have to make a trade down from 4 and a deal with Washington or SA a lot more appealing.

But I suppose you could use Davion as trade bait too.

Sure we can..he's as good a prospect ss any. He's got all the talent in the world. He's just a straight from high-school player from.a technically. If we can get him and some assets I'd be totally ok with the pick
Did you watch his interviews? Maybe he's the next superstar but I won't give anybody flack for missing on him because he has all the signs of someone who's going to wash out of the league in a few years.

Did you watch his interviews? Maybe he's the next superstar but I won't give anybody flack for missing on him because he has all the signs of someone who's going to wash out of the league in a few years.
Is it wrong that I can't get over his giant diamond stud earrings? He gives off the vibe of the guy who is still talking about his high school sports career in his 30s.

Ugh I hate myself for saying this but I feel like I'm starting to move from the Murray crowd to the Ivey crowd (from a BPA perspective). I hate it because...
  • I'm not a big fan of the fit with Fox
  • We have Fox, Mitchell, DiVincenzo, Davis, & Holiday who can all play PG/SG already
  • We really need to address our defense and not a big fan of Ivey on that side of the court
But his scoring, shooting, ability to get to the FT line, ball handling, playmaking, size, length, athleticism, & improvement from year 1 to year 2 are enticing. Even his ability to block shots at his position/size is interesting. I think Donovan Mitchell is an interesting comparison for him and I do see a path for him to become that type of player.

When assessing Murray, there's a handful of items that are starting to concern me when I think about his star potential:
  1. Is he athletic enough to beat his man off the dribble?
  2. Is he long enough to shoot over the top of his man (only a 6'11" wingspan while standing 6'8")? He didn't measure at the combine either which makes me wonder if he knew his measurements may be a detriment to his draft position.
  3. Is his ball handling advanced enough to create his own shot?
  4. Is his passing advanced enough to punish defenses when they rotate to help?

When I think back to Haliburton, he definitely had #4 and somewhat of #3. However, Murray is lacking in all of these areas which makes me question his top end potential.

Coming back to Ivey though, I have a hard time believing McNair would draft Ivey without a deal being made before the offseason. If the Kings don't make the playoffs this year, I'd be shocked if Vivek keeps him. Does McNair have the luxury of drafting a player who might not be as impactful this year due to the fit? I don't think he does.

So if Murray feels like a reach at #4 due to his top end potential and drafting Ivey at #4 (without another trade lined up) feels like it could lead to McNair's firing, what is McNair to do? He's either hoping...
  1. One of the top 3 PFs drops to him at #4
  2. He can trade back and acquire a veteran in the meantime
  3. He can trade out of the draft completely for a big name veteran

I don't really envy McNair's position right now.
yeah, I think it’s safe to say many of us would be more comfortable choosing Murray if we were picking a spot or two lower.
I’m a Daniels, or Murray fan if we move down for assets and a slightly lower pick. I’m leaning moving up as my preference and shoot for Chet or hopefully Smith. There’s little debate that either of those two would not fit and improve this team.

True but you may trade him to get a high level 3 and D wing. I just don’t think you can have Fox, Mitchell and Ivey……but there is 96 minutes to fill out
I think Davion has to show more before he would be worth that. He had some of the worst metrics in the entire league. He'll need to prove he can play winning basketball before a team gives up a Covington type player for him.

True but you may trade him to get a high level 3 and D wing. I just don’t think you can have Fox, Mitchell and Ivey……but there is 96 minutes to fill out
Yeah, it can absolutely work. You can find times for all 3 to be on the floor together and I think all 3 are interchangeable to play together at the 1-2. Flex DDV at the 3 and the remaining guard minutes. It'll take some managing of egos and non-Luke Walton esq rotations to make it work, but there's room for all 4 to have sizeable minutes roles. It's obviously just not as seamless as plugging Murray in for 30 at the starting 4 slot.

People underestimate what a dunk can do to a game. The only thing that can change the game of basketball more than a facial dunk is a curry 3. And there is only one curry
Especially when it's over defenses. Fox can do that once and awhile, Ivey is a threat to do that every play. Now, he's not moving guys around at the rim like Fox though which IMO is more important.

I feel pretty good about the fit with most of the prospects in our range this year. I think any of them will have a spot in the rotation so it's really just a matter of finding the player we believe in the most.

It's hard for me to see Ayton and Sabonis working out as a front court, but I also wouldn't mind being the team that gets to take advantage of Ayton's revenge tour next season. His biggest question mark dating back to his time at Arizona was his motor. Getting benched by the Suns in the conference finals might be the best thing that could have happened for his career if he uses that as motivation to play hard every night and prove he belongs in the MVP conversation. He has that level of talent if he wants it bad enough.

With the attention being paid to Ivey as a candidate they would be wrong. At least in terms of value. This pick has to at least partially be viewed as an asset first and foremost IMO. If Mitchell or someone becomes available this deadline you better be bringing some goodies to the table.
Yeah, this is where I've arrived at the last few days. In a vacuum BPA board, I have Murray 4, Ivey 5. But if we believe all the attention being paid to the 4 pick, the Kings should be able to extract real value from selling the Ivey draft slot if a team truly believes in him and we don't have the same evaluation.

I wouldn't be mad at KM being the pick obviously, but I'll definitely feel like we missed an opportunity to extract value from the draft slot.

I'm fully off the Sharpe train at this point. His interview doesn't help but it was more going back to the only film we have on him to see that he struggled to turn the corner or get a step on HS defenders, played essentially no defense, and lost the ball a LOT. Combine that with the unwillingness to compete or even really workout beyond his "pro day" and I see a lot of red flags.

He's essentially counting on the hype from being the #1 rated HS recruit and being a mystery box prospect.

It's what got Wiseman drafted at #2 by the Warriors, but even he had tape from 3 college games.

You know who else was a #1 HS prospect? Harrison Barnes. And Marvin Bagley. Also OJ Mayo, Josh Jackson, Shabazz Muhammad, Brandon Jennings, and some other former less than stellar NBA players that I'm forgetting.

I think Sharpe has an uphill battle to be a good NBA player, let alone a great one. And if he gets there, it won't be any time soon. He's played no college ball and missed the last part of his final year of high school. The Thunder make a lot more sense for him than the Kings as he's going to need a lot of development and a patient organization.

I'm fully off the Sharpe train at this point. His interview doesn't help but it was more going back to the only film we have on him to see that he struggled to turn the corner or get a step on HS defenders, played essentially no defense, and lost the ball a LOT. Combine that with the unwillingness to compete or even really workout beyond his "pro day" and I see a lot of red flags.

He's essentially counting on the hype from being the #1 rated HS recruit and being a mystery box prospect.

It's what got Wiseman drafted at #2 by the Warriors, but even he had tape from 3 college games.

You know who else was a #1 HS prospect? Harrison Barnes. And Marvin Bagley. Also OJ Mayo, Josh Jackson, Shabazz Muhammad, Brandon Jennings, and some other former less than stellar NBA players that I'm forgetting.

I think Sharpe has an uphill battle to be a good NBA player, let alone a great one. And if he gets there, it won't be any time soon. He's played no college ball and missed the last part of his final year of high school. The Thunder make a lot more sense for him than the Kings as he's going to need a lot of development and a patient organization.
People have made a great point that Jaden Hardy and Pat Baldwin would both be Top 10 picks this year if they sat out Sharpe style. Not to say Sharpe is either of those guys, but the risk and downside of investing in high school only tape is staring teams right in the face of the same draft.

Is it wrong that I can't get over his giant diamond stud earrings? He gives off the vibe of the guy who is still talking about his high school sports career in his 30s.
The jewelry doesn't bother me but if you're drafting someone out of HS with no game tape from the last year you at least want him to come across as a student of the game, extremely motivated, and/or preternaturally skilled in workouts. I don't see any of that from Sharpe and I don't really like his high school tape either. If looking good finishing lobs and pull up threes made you a star in the NBA we'd all be wearing Ben McLemore jerseys right now.

With the attention being paid to Ivey as a candidate they would be wrong. At least in terms of value. This pick has to at least partially be viewed as an asset first and foremost IMO. If Mitchell or someone becomes available this deadline you better be bringing some goodies to the table.
yes value, sure, if you can't trade the pick and you go with him and he's not your guy that isn't so good

The jewelry doesn't bother me but if you're drafting someone out of HS with no game tape from the last year you at least want him to come across as a student of the game, extremely motivated, and/or preternaturally skilled in workouts. I don't see any of that from Sharpe and I don't really like his high school tape either. If looking good finishing lobs and pull up threes made you a star in the NBA we'd all be wearing Ben McLemore jerseys right now.
I guess I haven't noticed any of the other top 5 guys we've talked about being blinged out so it stands out to me.

Yeah, this is where I've arrived at the last few days. In a vacuum BPA board, I have Murray 4, Ivey 5. But if we believe all the attention being paid to the 4 pick, the Kings should be able to extract real value from selling the Ivey draft slot if a team truly believes in him and we don't have the same evaluation.

I wouldn't be mad at KM being the pick obviously, but I'll definitely feel like we missed an opportunity to extract value from the draft slot.
And unless Monte absolutely hates Ivey's guts (which I wouldn't understand at all personally) you take him then wait. If he busts you at least took a swing that might change the course of this franchise at some point either via development or trade. The difference to me on Murray is if Murray doesn't change much on his own, which almost NO rookie does, or looks every bit a stretch 4 role guy in this system then this value won't hold up the way an Ivey's will. The plan should be compete this year with as flexible a future cap as you can have. Get into that play in if you can. Develop your chemistry and let your young guys grow within that. If a superstar is there for the taking to add to the core go for it and use these young guys as the bait. If not, use your FA money next season to either land another major piece or build your team completely around your core. Take another step the next year. Then if Ivey did need some development he's likely to have a much higher bump in his 3-4 season than his counterparts. That's when you peak out.

On the other hand, if this is still a disaster by the deadline, you start a rebuild around a nice backcourt and use that space to make some Thunder type moves.

Givony has Sochan falling to 13, the Hornets' first pick, in his new mock. If the Hayward dump for a pick thing turns out to be a real option, that could be a good swing for the Kings.
This was one of my ideal draft day scenarios -- try to get that #13 pick from Charlotte and nab Sochan to give us at least one plus defender at the wing/forward positions. I think with Queta/Jones, Mitchell, and Sochan we'd have enough plus defenders in the rotation to implement Mike Brown's defensive system around the Fox/Sabonis core. It also frees us up to take a chance on someone like Ivey knowing that there will be help defense available to rotate and stop guard penetration.

I was team Luka but I made peace with the Bagley decision early on. I stuck up for him right until his agent demanded the trade before opening night. Bagley was 4th on my big board that year (which admittedly did not include Trae). Under Joerger I liked what we saw.
I didn't even have him in my top 6.

I was blindsided when the pick was announced.

Like many fans on this site, I was livid and voiced my displeasure for about a week. Then I decided to give it a chance.

Then it proved out to be an even worse decision than it seemed on draft night.

But like you said, we have to make peace and get over it.

What's important now is to not make the same mistake again....

Status
Not open for further replies.