Kings first round of coaching candidate interviews comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
It’s hilarious to me some are telling ourselves “ITS OKAY REALLY WE’RE GETTING THE GUY WHO LAID THE GROUNDWORK FOR THE WARRIORS DYNASTY!”

… who hasn’t been hired in the following 8/9 years for reasons. If such an instrumental part of a future dynasty was just hanging out ready for the taking you’d think teams would be tripping over themselves to hire the guy. But naaaaaa, just Sacramento a decade later because we’re the Sacramento Kings.

Interesting article that contradicts the narrative we have on Jackson today. It pretty much states that Jackson turned the team around and made them into who they are. But at the end of the day Lacob is the owner and can do what he wants.

Ultimately everything worked out, but the article by no means indicates Lacob had a vision. Quite the
It’s essentially an opinion piece. We really don’t know how wide spread the trouble was but at the very least we know two of his assistants and a front office guy didn’t get along with him. Maybe it was just those few or it could have been more we just don’t know.

as far as the owner lying, I saw that more as him not airing dirty laundry to the media during the season. Maybe he is petty and fired him due to the son but again we just don’t have enough info.

one could argue It does open up the possibility that the drama was blown out of proportion.

the other thing to consider is Vivek should have more info than all of us considering he was there. It is odd considering he is friends with basically everyone at the Warriors that he would want to hire a guy with that reputation there (if he earned it)

Last edited:
What’s funny to me are the tweets that keep saying Vivek had “no involvement” in the first round of interviews trying to spin he’s not meddling. You can have your favorite be known to your employees and not physically be “involved” in the interviews.
im not sure having a favorite qualifies as meddling. If he is telling Monte who has to be on his list and then makes the hire himself that is different. I think it’s ok for him to have input.

It’s essentially an opinion piece. We really don’t know how wide spread the trouble was but at the very least we know two of his assistants and a front office guy didn’t get along with him. Maybe it was just those few or it could have been more we just don’t know.

as far as the owner lying, I saw that more as him not airing dirty laundry to the media during the season. Maybe he is petty and fired him do the the son but again we just don’t have enough info.

one could argue It does open up the possibility that the drama was blown out of proportion.

the other thing to consider is Vivek should have more info than all of us considering he was there. It is odd considering he is friends with basically everyone at the Warriors that he would want to hire a guy with that reputation there (if he earned it)
Agreed. In the end, you do have to get along with the owner and owner's son. Even if you're just faking it.

It speaks to Jackson's ego that he even considered having that battle.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
What’s funny to me are the tweets that keep saying Vivek had “no involvement” in the first round of interviews trying to spin he’s not meddling. You can have your favorite be known to your employees and not physically be “involved” in the interviews.
yeah like the boss doesn't need to attend any interviews with his son for his kid to get the job.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
IF this is true. And IF Vivek gets his way and hires Mark Jackson, and IF things go exactly how I think they will, the NBA should step in to replace Ranadive as an owner for gross mismanagement.

In what way is Mark Jackson even an upgrade to Gentry? And for being such a Warriors obsessive, how does Vivek think hiring the guy that ultimately had to be fired before the Warriors reached their potential will drag the Kings out of the doldrums?

I never thought I'd be hoping this much that Clifford or Brown is the next Kings coach . . .

Last edited:
If Monte wants Brown and is overruled he should submit his resignation immediately. I would not work for someone who doesn’t allow me to do my job. Im skeptical of these reports however
I'd normally be skeptical but they align with exactly what we've come to expect. Power struggles. Moving positions of power around at random. Vivek inserting himself into GM/coaching calls.

They've happened repeatedly in the past so I'm no longer skeptical anytime the rumor is that the Kings are about to make the dumbest decision possible.

since i don't know the procedure, how likely is scenario vivek getting pushed out by NBA itself? did it occur in some other franchises, ever?
besides donald sterling and similar cases of course.

second, i do hope vivek will find some other toy, like some english football club, or some other european football powerhouse.
ok, he was too small to have a shot at purchasing chelsea, but there's a plenty of other EPL teams.

if we really want something to change, vivek must sell his stake and evaporate...

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If Jackson was Dumars's top pick and Dumars just took an NBA executive job I think it's safe to say Jackson being hired won't even be a straw on the camel's back.

FWIW, Lakers fans here in So Cal really want Mark Jackson as their new head coach. I prefer Mike Brown to the other finalist. But, if the Lakers really want Mark Jackson, I'm sure he would pick LeBron over us. So the Lakers may wind us helping us out if they sign Mark Jackson first!

since i don't know the procedure, how likely is scenario vivek getting pushed out by NBA itself? did it occur in some other franchises, ever?
besides donald sterling and similar cases of course.

second, i do hope vivek will find some other toy, like some english football club, or some other european football powerhouse.
ok, he was too small to have a shot at purchasing chelsea, but there's a plenty of other EPL teams.

if we really want something to change, vivek must sell his stake and evaporate...
It's exceedingly unlikely. Even Donald Sterling's ouster was a controversial decision (particularly amongst the NBA's Board of Governors). Vivek Ranadive's mismanagement of the Sacramento Kings is no worse than a dozen other examples of poor franchise stewardship that likewise would never have resulted in a forced sale by the league.

Vivek's been a pretty crummy owner since he bought the team, but it would take an enormous infraction, indeed, for the league office to step in and strip him of his governorship.

FWIW, Lakers fans here in So Cal really want Mark Jackson as their new head coach. I prefer Mike Brown to the other finalist. But, if the Lakers really want Mark Jackson, I'm sure he would pick LeBron over us. So the Lakers may wind us helping us out if they sign Mark Jackson first!
My Lakers fan friends are the same. They like the idea of Mark Jackson.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It depends on what you try to accomplish with that cap space. To me paying a big chunk of your cap to veteran players while not being even close to actually competitive team is wasting that cap space.

Cap space could've been used to gain future assets, to help us become actually competitive when we have the talent and assets needed to do that. Either draft assets to keep adding cost&team controlled young players and increasing your odds to add (all) star players. Or you could build a war chest to use for trading for a great player in addition to your own talent. Also not signing expensive vets most likely leads to your own pick being higher, thus giving yourself a better opportunity to add top level talent.

We used our cap to play ourselves out from top picks and didnt add future assets by doing those salary dump trades for example. To me especially considering that with those vets we were still far from competitive, it was a waste. We could've been far from competitive those years but added extra assets plus better draft position pre lottery.

That learning from other players might be true but I'm quite sure you dont need to use 40million dollars of your cap space in one year to achieve that. This was the exact excuse I heard a lot at the time these signings happened. Zbo was supposed to make WCS and Skal much better players. Fox and other young guys would learn winning habits ect. The end result from these "mentor" signings look very bad. Fox as a defender still doesnt give full effort, Buddy didnt seem to learn anything, WCS, Skal, JJ, Mason are basically out of the league. I'm pretty sure that in the long term using most of that 40mil to gain additional draft capital would've been more beneficial to us compared to how we used it.

My point simply is that if you are not a good team yet, its hard to become one if year after year you fill your team with average NBA vets and hope that you hit a homerun with the 10th pick of the draft. In my point of view if you spend the 2-3 years when you are not going to be good anyway by gathering extra draft capital, drafting higher with more picks in the first round, you are probably in a much better position after that 3 year period. Especially as a team that isnt a free agent destination, I would 100% recommend being patient and forward looking for those 2-3 years. It also doesnt have to be 100% either or but with this franchise it has been pretty much full on win now for quite some time and clearly with the benefit of hindsight we can say that it has been the wrong approach
Have you considered the possibility that nobody else wanted to come play for the Kings? There is a minimum salary cap threshold and if you have 12 rookie scale contracts on your team, that means you probably have to spend $40 million on somebody just to reach that threshold. It ain't gonna be Lebron. I don't think the team was trying to shortcut their way to the playoffs by signing Zach Randolph in his twilight years and a 40 year old Vince Carter. Of the players you listed, only Rondo and Belinelli could charitably be called "win now" signings but that was with George Karl on the sideline, Rudy Gay coming off of back-to-back 20ppg seasons, and DeMarcus already an all-star and one year into his second contract. They made sense in that context.

I agree with you on principle that trying and failing to make the playoffs every season so that you never have a top 5 pick or establish a winning culture is a poor way to build a team, but I don't agree that this accurately describes what happened. Cauley-Stein was 6th overall in the 2015 draft. In the 2016 draft Vlade had three first round picks and that was after he had already traded for Buddy Hield (6th overall) in the middle of his rookie season. That's 5 first round picks in two years. He also traded for Bogdan who was a first round pick. Fox was 5th overall and he had two other picks in the first round that year. Bagley was 2nd overall in the 2018 draft. Now we're up to 10 first round picks in 4 years including a 5th overall, a 2nd overall, and two that were 6th overall. And that doesn't count the international player rights Vade acquired or the dozen or so 2nd round picks and undrafted free agents he took flyers on. He did exactly what you claim he didn't do. Assets, draft capitol, more bites at the apple. It didn't work because he drafted poorly.

Have you considered the possibility that nobody else wanted to come play for the Kings? There is a minimum salary cap threshold and if you have 12 rookie scale contracts on your team, that means you probably have to spend $40 million on somebody just to reach that threshold. It ain't gonna be Lebron. I don't think the team was trying to shortcut their way to the playoffs by signing Zach Randolph in his twilight years and a 40 year old Vince Carter. Of the players you listed, only Rondo and Belinelli could charitably be called "win now" signings but that was with George Karl on the sideline, Rudy Gay coming off of back-to-back 20ppg seasons, and DeMarcus already an all-star and one year into his second contract. They made sense in that context.
There is no minumum cap we need to reach. If we dont reach the minimum cap, we'll just pay the rest divided to our current players. We also could've used that cap space to get those salary dump trades to get additional draft capital. And thats exactly what I'm been saying we should and should've done with our cap space. Either those guys being win now vets or not, it was absolutely a failure to pay them that amount of money considering the results and the opportunity cost.

He did exactly what you claim he didn't do. Assets, draft capitol, more bites at the apple. It didn't work because he drafted poorly.
Well absolutely not. Either you dont understand what I'm saying or I'm not making myself clear. Yes he drafted poorly, thats obvious, as obvious that he should've never ever been hired as a gm by an Nba organisation. But his poor drafting doesnt mean his strategy wasnt awfull too

I agree with you on principle that trying and failing to make the playoffs every season so that you never have a top 5 pick or establish a winning culture is a poor way to build a team,
Yes its an extremely poor way to build a team and I'm glad we agree on that.

but I don't agree that this accurately describes what happened.
Thats pretty much what happened. If you draft poorly and imagine right from the start that you have enough talent to compete, you are probably wrong. If your team is bad even when you fill up all the possible cap space with expensive vets, you should probaly take a year or two to actually grow the top end talent base. The idea of "tanking" or "rebuilding" is that you can clearly see when your young top level talent is good enough to compete. Only after that you start spending your cap to win now vets. If you dont have enough top end talent, keep drafting and biting the apple, keep growing the war chest and once you are ready then make your moves.

Cauley-Stein was 6th overall in the 2015 draft. In the 2016 draft Vlade had three first round picks and that was after he had already traded for Buddy Hield (6th overall) in the middle of his rookie season. That's 5 first round picks in two years. He also traded for Bogdan who was a first round pick. Fox was 5th overall and he had two other picks in the first round that year. Bagley was 2nd overall in the 2018 draft. Now we're up to 10 first round picks in 4 years including a 5th overall, a 2nd overall, and two that were 6th overall.
Still the mistake is exactly the same that has happened year after year. We dont plan for future. The moves we make arent for future and thats why its extremely difficult to change anything. We make unnececary moves for win now that are absolutely meaningless and worthless and hurt us via opportunity cost and draft position. Our strategy hasnt been set to "lets be competitive in couple of years when we actually could have a chance and make moves according to that". No. The strategy has been win now for year after year. I'm assuming we arent disagreeing with this?

My proposition has always been building up a war chest of draft capital by using your cap space and trading your vets. Draft as high as possible with your own pick to have the best chance possible to getting best possible players and then have a lot of extra assets and young players for when you start to have good enough top level talent to actually make win now moves.

Vlade absolutely didnt do that. Kings hasnt absolutely done that and they have been the worst organisation in the whole league for the past 10+ years without competition. For that time the strategy has never been what I've been advocating for and it certainly wasnt it with Vlade.

Jackson to LA could really save us if that works out

I think there’s a chance Brown wouldn’t even consider us if he wasn’t already in the Bay. A lot easier to take the Kings gig if he doesn’t have to totally uproot his life and can just get a condo in Sac while staying wherever he is now

Jackson could be a great option for a team like that whereas the Kings shouldn't gamble like that right now. They don't need to. They have a potential youngish 2 star duo and cap space coming. There's a little bit of time and after that if it doesn't work it's blow up time anyway, nothing more. They just have to climb enough next year to go all in the year after. Jackson's a lightening rod that could help share some of the backlash in LA and has been a soldier all the way back to his playing days. He'll back his guys up. For them? They could use it. They have a limited window with clear talent on paper to be a contender NOW, there isn't much of anything else in terms of disappointment and mudslinging that can happen to that team, and they need something drastic to turn around their locker room. That isn't the Kings. Not at all. The Kings don't have a surefire LeBron/AD level duo nor anything on paper close to that core. However, the Kings might have a brighter future. If Jackson comes into Sacramento the damage he could potentially cause just in the media alone could set things back so far it's simply not worth it. Now is not the time to be desperate. Monte cleared a lot of impending mess at the deadline, don't blow this on the 5 yard line.

Status
Not open for further replies.