Kings first round of coaching candidate interviews comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, basically Jackson and maybe Brown, any of these candidates would be solid.

Jackson would be totally KANGZ though, so lets hope Monte continues to have a brain.
The thing about Mike Brown is that he’s only had two stints as a coach without Lebron and both of those stints were disasters but probably not entirely his fault (The late-Kobe era Lakers and between-Bron Cavs). He’s not my first choice but he at least isn’t a bad interview.

The thing about Mike Brown is that he’s only had two stints as a coach without Lebron and both of those stints were disasters but probably not entirely his fault (The late-Kobe era Lakers and between-Bron Cavs). He’s not my first choice but he at least isn’t a bad interview.
I know Dray credits Mike Brown for a big portion of the GSW defense, which would be a welcome change.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
With the exception of Jackson and Clifford (both Van Gundy tree guys) and D’Antoni, every single coach mentioned here is a Pop tree guy so I’m pretty damn sure Borrego’s (two stints with the spurs) gonna get interviewed as well.
don't the other pop guys have ties to Wilcox though? Does Borrego?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
D'Antoni is 70 years old. For a team desperate for continuity in its coaching staff, that's not a good hire.

I feel like we know who Mark Jackson, Mike Brown, and Steve Clifford are at this point, and let's just say I'm not super enthused by any.

I really don't know much of anything about Ham (I vaguely remember his college play), Lee, or Hardy, but at least they seem to be of an age where it's possible they could anchor our coaching staff for a long time. Borrego would fit that mold too, but he definitely has a bit more track record. I'd be quite a bit happier with somebody out of this group than picking up a retread.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I want to just kick everyone out and Luke Walton hire Borrego.
Obviously that could not be the best move when compared with a full coaching search, but I have to admit a Borrego Insta-Hire seems to be far, far, far more likely to work than a Luke Walton Insta-Hire.

I think Jamal and kb02 need to make a bet on who the new coach is going to be.
Lolzzz.

Double Lolzzz...Mike D'Antoni.

Here's the future press release:

After a wide, exhaustive, deep, thorough, process-orientated search, the Sacramento Kings have hired Michael D'Antoni.

Vivek: I want to welcome Mike to the Sacramento Kings. He was an early proponent of playing fast from his days in Phoenix and Houston. Maybe we will finally play 5 on 4 or maybe not. I'm not sure, to be honest, because I totally didn't have anything to do with this hire. My hands are clean. This is 100% Monte's, I mean, the basketball people's hire. Go Kings!!

Mike D'Antoni: I would like to thank the Sacramento Kings, Vivek, Matina, and Monte McNair!!!! for this opportunity. I know Monte!!!! well from our days in Houston. Though, to be clear, Monte totally didn't text or call me before the interview. I went into this blind, didn't know what the Kings were looking for, but it became obvious from the first bro hug with Monte that the fit between the Kings and me was just absolutely perfect. Go Kings!!

Monte McNair: Although this was an exhaustive, deep, thorough, process-orientated search, we ended up hiring Mike. Although I knew Mike well, I totally didn't talk to Mike before the formal interview. During that interview, he just totally blew us away with his vision, which just happened to line up perfectly with our vision. Go Kings!!

Matina: I'm not on the basketball side, so I have no input. I didn't know Adelman, the 7 or so coaches in between, and I don't know Mike. So although I've been here for every year of the 16 seasons of no-playoffs, I know nothing about the hoops side and bear zero responsibility for that side of the business. Go Kings!!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
No F'ing way do I want D'Antoni.

As for Jackson, what exactly is the objection? I've listened to over an hour now on ESPN radio and these cowards won't explicitly say what the objection is; they just talk elliptically, cryptically, and PC-cowardly about Jackson, saying they wouldn't hire him. So what are the details?

I honestly think it is an appealing job to walk into. Fox/Sabonis/Davion, DDV RFA, no long-term cap problems, all future picks, a likely top 7 pick this year.
Only 30 HC roles. That's the appeal. You remember that sad parade of former Kings, some super brief, who showed up after that one season where the Kings were looking for a new coach? Del Negro, Theus...all these dudes trying to be one of the 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.