Kings trade Tyrese and Buddy for Sabonis and Holiday and Lamb

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
People were talking about us sending Fox and multiple firsts for Sabonis and all it took was Tyrese AND we got to unload a bad contract and pick up good wing depth in the process.
Emotionally, this trade sucks but as an actual basketball trade it makes the Blazer moves look even worse in comparison.
This isn't a bad trade in terms of basketball value. But it feels like a bad trade in terms of roster building.

Haliburton and Sabonis both have noted flaws. But their strengths matched pretty perfectly. Holmes would need to go (still does) and you would want want a vertical lob threat at PF for Tyrese to run the P&R with, but if you can find that piece and add a 3&D wing you have a pretty solid roster of Mitchell, Haliburton, 3&D wing, athletic PF, Sabonis.

That's not hard to put together. But now?

Fox
???
???
???
Sabonis

I'm not even sure who your idealized players are to maximize those two as your best players. It's just a very different fit.

NBA twitter loves nothing more than clowning the KANGZ. Often, it's very justified.

NBA twitter also thought the Lakers were going to walk into the finals with the Russ trade. They're often not the best judge of NBA talent.

Basketball logic, this deal is great for a Kings "win now" move. We all know something like this was coming with Vivek as an owner and he'll just never sign off on an actual rebuild. So may as well do "win now" right".

Just absolute gut punch to lose Hali, one of the few real bright-spots this team has had in 15 years.

our only two wins with that backcourt came against an imploding Nets team and a team actively trying to lose. I get what you’re saying but any winning with that backcourt was probably a few years down the line.
i’d take those losses and a possible top 5 pick this year over the (at best) 8th seed and what might end up a low ceiling treadmill team

Sums it up perfectly. Basketball wise, Kings got the better deal by a significant margin. Heart wise, I hate it here.
No they didn’t. I keep on hearing people say Sabonis is an “all star” and “skilled”, in actuality yes he’s skilled but so is Boban. I’m basketball terms a shooting guard with plsymdking abilities (Haliburton) is way more valuable than a post scoring big who doesn’t shoot & can’t defend the paint.

Can someone please create a lineup with Sabonis & Fox that can defend well enough to contend ? And create an offensive scheme that’s above average? You can even pick guys from other teams. I just don’t see it

Most you guys wanted a trade. Well, you got it!

Many of you lobbied for the ridiculously overrated Sabonis. Well, you got him!

Meanwhile the KINGS continue to not be able to get out of their own way regardless of who is running things.

This reeks of a Vlade Divac decision. Except he no longer can be blamed.

Tyrese was arguably the teams best all-around player. Not only did they include him in this stupid trade, they also added Buddy Hield who could have been used to net something else in a different trade. Trading both in one deal was @##%@^@ stupid unless it was for a clear cut star player better than both.

Unreal.

The KINGS get lucky in a draft and they **** it away -- again.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
No they didn’t. I keep on hearing people say Sabonis is an “all star” and “skilled”, in actuality yes he’s skilled but so is Boban. I’m basketball terms a shooting guard with plsymdking abilities (Haliburton) is way more valuable than a post scoring big who doesn’t shoot & can’t defend the paint.

Can someone please create a lineup with Sabonis & Fox that can defend well enough to contend ? And create an offensive scheme that’s above average? You can even pick guys from other teams. I just don’t see it
Lol you didn’t really just compare Boban and Sabonis did you?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Holmes for PJ Washington absolutely needs to happen now. Adding his spacing and defense (and youth) is pretty much essential at this point to starting to build the right fit around Fox/Sabonis.
Adding PJ to Barnes, Holliday, Harkless, and Lamb would suddenly make the Kings one of the deepest teams at the wing-forward spot after an entire season of us having to play Buddy as a small forward.

I love Haliburton, but I am good with this trade. The Kings finally have some playmaking in the front court. And a dude that will set serious screens. And no more Buddy stuff out there.

Playing Barnes at the 4 and Sabonis at the 5 will free up Fox a bunch. It’s do or die time for DeAaron. The Fox Hali backcourt just never clicked.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Most you guys wanted a trade. Well, you got it!

Many of you lobbied for the ridiculously overrated Sabonis. Well, you got him!

Meanwhile the KINGS continue to not be able to get out of their own way regardless of who is running things.

This reeks of a Vlade Divac decision. Except he no longer can be blamed.

Tyrese was arguably the teams best all-around player. Not only did they include him in this stupid trade, they also added Buddy Hield who could have been used to net something else in a different trade. Trading both in one deal was @##%@^@ stupid unless it was for a clear cut star player better than both.

Unreal.

The KINGS get lucky in a draft and they pee it away -- again.
I liked your post but I think its clear Buddy was a net negative we've been shopping him for a year and the Lakers deal would have been striking gold but somehow the NBA's prize organization had their eye on an even worse deal.

But yeah, this feels like the move the dumb GMs we've had make. I dunno though, as much as I like Haliburton part of the reason I wanted to keep him was he is underpaid and Fox is (right now as of today) overpaid. I'm glad we didn't trade our pick. I think Barnes is the vet player we have with trade value. I guess Holmes is on the table. Bagley is still a huge ???. I'm sad we missed out on the Hart + a pick deal. But maybe we can still deal with NY? Not ideal but ...

To me the best argument for Sabonis was his fit with Haliburton.

And you even got the side benefit of starting Mitchell in the backcourt as he and Tyrese fit well together.

Tyrese was one of the few reasons I was still engaged with this team at all. I'll wait until the trade deadline passes to see if other moves are made, but it's likely that I'm done as a Kings fan until this team gives me a reason to support it.
You summed up my feeling pretty neatly.

This trade just kinda proved to me what I long suspected. I never lived in Sacramento. I fell in love with this team for C-Webb, Vlade, Peja... the talents. Pity they didn't win but I'd rather be the Sacramento Kings and lost than the Kobe-Shaq Lakers and win. This trade exposed my own stance that maybe I'd rather win with Haliburton.

I get it. You're mad. I am too. Gut punch.

But let's not compare a 2-time 25 year old star with incredible impact stats and C-Webb level passing/creation to Boban. Please.

Exactly. Sabonis is a bad defender. Scoring 130 points without any three point shooters is going to be tough.

Still can't believe they traded an elite playmaker who is clutch and also a natural leader. Another talent lost to the mindless "win now" mantra.