Kings trade Tyrese and Buddy for Sabonis and Holiday and Lamb

SLAB

Hall of Famer
James Ham @James_HamNBA
Confirmed. Kings have a framework of a deal that sends Tyrese Haliburton, Buddy Hield and Tristan Thompson to the Pacers for Domantas Sabonis, Jeremy Lamb, Justin Holiday and a 2027 second round pick. @Adrian Wojnarowski first.
I nearly put a hole in a Sacramento theatre wall (Game Grumps Live!) when the Kings traded DeMarcus. At least they did this while I’m at work so I can’t kick the **** out of anything this time.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Look, Kings fans were begging for Monte to pick a course of action and make a deal and holy mother of god did he.

I don’t think he’s done yet either.
It's true. While most of us here wanted to just secure a high draft pick then do something, the twitter, including all of Sacramento media apparently, wanted him to do this kind of thing and I wouldn't be surprised if ownership was involved for that reason. Or hell, if not this is actually really good sign about Monte not being wedded to his first ever pick. But I think this is more about that 10 spot and acquiescing the media voices. which I hate.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Things could be worse. We could be the Blazers who didn't get an all-star back for CJ McCollum
This. Haliburton was arguably the cornerstone of the trade for Sabonis. In a vacuum, this isn't a bad trade because we unload Hield and Thompson.

That said, we obviously don't live in a vacuum. We need outside shooting and better starters at the 2 and the 5, preferably those who can stretch the floor. If Monte isn't done, he needs to somehow use Bagley to fill one of those issues.

Again, I think it sucks, but I can somewhat see what's happening, depending upon what happens during the next 36 hours.

I am much higher on sabonis than most appear to be on this site, but man I don't like this trade. If Monte goes all in with another move or two I may change my mind, but this is disappointing. It's clear that the rest of the league did not believe in Fox as much as we do and so to make a meaningful change we needed to sacrifice our best asset.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I nearly put a hole in the wall when the Kings traded DeMarcus. At least they did this while I’m at work so I can’t kick the **** out of anything this time.
I was at the gym that day. It fueled the workout.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I guess my silver lining is we didn't trade anything of value for Nurk which is also a thing kingstwitterverse liked.

Synergy Sports Tech @SynergySST
Tyrese Haliburton ranks third in the #NBA in points created passing out of ball screens and has shot an eFG% of 61% in spot up and 72% in transition situations. He was born on leap day and will turn 22 at the end of the month.

StatMuse @statmuse
Tyrese Haliburton last 24 games: 17.3 PPG 9.4 APG 2.6 TOV 47/43/87% He is a career 41.1% shooter from three. Look away Kings fans. pic.twitter.com/1OCrNs1Fei

Matt Williams @StatsWilliams
Tyrese Haliburton ranks in the top-6 in both total assists and steals this season. He is 1 of 3 players to rank in the top-6 in both categories, along with Chris Paul and Dejounte Murray.

Ky Carlin @Ky_Carlin
Domantas Sabonis is a damn good player, but man, you don’t trade Tyrese Haliburton for him. Wow. That’s absolutely insane.

-----
The last tweet just about sums up the overall reaction.
Kangz forever.
Dude, why are you posting this now? I'm still in the denial phase.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
To me the best argument for Sabonis was his fit with Haliburton.

And you even got the side benefit of starting Mitchell in the backcourt as he and Tyrese fit well together.

Tyrese was one of the few reasons I was still engaged with this team at all. I'll wait until the trade deadline passes to see if other moves are made, but it's likely that I'm done as a Kings fan until this team gives me a reason to support it.