Kings trade Tyrese and Buddy for Sabonis and Holiday and Lamb

I am much higher on sabonis than most appear to be on this site, but man I don't like this trade. If Monte goes all in with another move or two I may change my mind, but this is disappointing. It's clear that the rest of the league did not believe in Fox as much as we do and so to make a meaningful change we needed to sacrifice our best asset.
Not everyone here believes in Fox.

How is Sabonis a proven star? What am I missing? He’s a throwback skilled big that has value but it’s hard to form a team around his skill set. There’s a reason he hasn’t uplifted the Pacers anywhere since he’s been the focal point.
He's a very very good player. In my opinion, it's not a crazy trade value for value. However, I still don't like it given Hali's upside and style of play.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
To me the best argument for Sabonis was his fit with Haliburton.

And you even got the side benefit of starting Mitchell in the backcourt as he and Tyrese fit well together.

Tyrese was one of the few reasons I was still engaged with this team at all. I'll wait until the trade deadline passes to see if other moves are made, but it's likely that I'm done as a Kings fan until this team gives me a reason to support it.
I like torturing myself so I'll still be here.

Also because my love of the Patriots and Red Sox also paid off it's just a matter of time with the Kings right?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He's a very very good player. In my opinion, it's not a crazy trade value for value. However, I still don't like it given Hali's upside and style of play.
That’s where I’m at too. Domatas is an all-star and a very skilled player. Tyrese also could be an All-Star in the future but for now Sabonis is the better player. It sucks but this isn’t like the time we traded Webber for three bad contracts because we wanted cap flexibility.

people talked about following the Bulls model with Fox. Well, we just got our Vuc.

Honestly, just feels like a bigger gut punch because how much we love Hali. But the fact you get off Buddy Hield, made use of the TT expiring and DON'T have to include a FRP for a 25 year old 2-time all-star with 2 more seasons on his deal is insane when you think about it.

This is the upside swing McNair has been talking his whole time here. Win the draft, flip for a stud when it becomes available. We'll see. Just hate that it was Hali, a dude who loved the Kings be the guy to make it happen.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Honestly, just feels like a bigger gut punch because how much we love Hali. But the fact you get off Buddy Hield, made use of the TT expiring and DON'T have to include a FRP for a 25 year old 2-time all-star with 2 more seasons on his deal is insane when you think about it.

This is the upside swing McNair has been talking his whole time here. Win the draft, flip for a stud when it becomes available. We'll see. Just hate that it was Hali, a dude who loved the Kings be the guy to make it happen.
Boogie cried when we traded him but we some how got over it. It’ll take time and we’ll have to see how things work out but this trade isn’t an F.

That’s where I’m at too. Domatas is an all-star and a very skilled player. Tyrese also could be an All-Star in the future but for now Sabonis is the better player. It sucks but this isn’t like the time we traded Webber for three bad contracts because we wanted cap flexibility.

people talked about following the Bulls model with Fox. Well, we just got our Vuc.
At least I'm now interested in this team again. Disdain turned to apathy, turned to shock and anger at the trade, and now hopefully I'll actually have a little bit of fun/interest watching games again. That's all I can hold out for at this point.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Sums it up perfectly. Basketball wise, Kings got the better deal by a significant margin. Heart wise, I hate it here.
People were talking about us sending Fox and multiple firsts for Sabonis and all it took was Tyrese AND we got to unload a bad contract and pick up good wing depth in the process.
Emotionally, this trade sucks but as an actual basketball trade it makes the Blazer moves look even worse in comparison.

Alright now that I’ve calmed down. This looks like a sure fire unintentional tank but at the same time we have a foundation now. Let’s a get a top pick and trade it for another player to build around Fox

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think my biggest fear is we're going to chase the 10 seed with this. If we keep on sucking and get a top 4 pick I will be ok.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
People were talking about us sending Fox and multiple firsts for Sabonis and all it took was Tyrese AND we got to unload a bad contract and pick up good wing depth in the process.
Emotionally, this trade sucks but as an actual basketball trade it makes the Blazer moves look even worse in comparison.
Until the Blazers get Chet.

Sums it up perfectly. Basketball wise, Kings got the better deal by a significant margin. Heart wise, I hate it here.
well we probably win more games this season if Fox comes back but what does this cost us over the next 10 years? Hali-Mitchell was showing a lot of potential as the backcourt of the future if we moved on from Fox and got a good pick this year that helps us find a wing or a big and sets us up for the future. Instead we have 2 years to try to make whatever this is work. And now Davion makes even less sense on this roster

In basketball logic, this makes sense, but I've never come so close to actually puking from a trade in any sport. This one really hurts. Hali was my fave player on the Kings and there's no close second. Damnit
I have no words. Can't even process the basketball implications because Tyrese was the one player on this team that I wanted to be a King for life.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
well we probably win more games this season if Fox comes back but what does this cost us over the next 10 years? Hali-Mitchell was showing a lot of potential as the backcourt of the future if we moved on from Fox and got a good pick this year that helps us find a wing or a big and sets us up for the future. Instead we have 2 years to try to make whatever this is work. And now Davion makes even less sense on this roster
our only two wins with that backcourt came against an imploding Nets team and a team actively trying to lose. I get what you’re saying but any winning with that backcourt was probably a few years down the line.