NBA Lottery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of interesting story lines to come in the next month.

Assuming Cade goes #1, will Houston take the consensus #2 even though they have Wood and the league is leaning towards Wings?

If Houston passes on Mobley will Cleveland too? They are about to sign Allen to a big contract. Do they sign and trade Allen?

A couple of Orlando’s options at 5 and 8 will be power forwards. Will they take best player available if it’s a 4 even though they want to build around Isaac?

Will Golden State trade their pick for a veteran? How about Wiseman, Wiggins and the #7 to Minnesota for KAT :D

Will Tinker McNair move the pick in a swing for the fences trade?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Lots of interesting story lines to come in the next month.

Assuming Cade goes #1, will Houston take the consensus #2 even though they have Wood and the league is leaning towards Wings?

If Houston passes on Mobley will Cleveland too? They are about to sign Allen to a big contract. Do they sign and trade Allen?

A couple of Orlando’s options at 5 and 8 will be power forwards. Will they take best player available if it’s a 4 even though they want to build around Isaac?

Will Golden State trade their pick for a veteran? How about Wiseman, Wiggins and the #7 to Minnesota for KAT :D

Will Tinker McNair move the pick in a swing for the fences trade?
if Draymond enjoyed getting on Wiseman’s ass for not playing tough and blowing assignments on D, he’s gonna looooooooove playing with KAT

Hahhahahahgagagahga
Fill me in on the joke. I suspect it’s some form of millennial humor.

If you wouldn’t give that up, jokes on you.

If you think it’s not enough, the question wasn’t “what do you think the ROX would agree to” it was “ what would you be willing to give up”.

So, again, enlighten me on the joke.

Except that literally happens in every lottery. Every player has something they need to work on. Most people are very high on Barnes, hell I like him too, but he's basically Ben Simmons on offense. If you wanted a player that didn't have a question mark in their game you would be picking top 5.
The KINGS have drafted top 5 before and found players that had question marks. Many of them.

Meanwhile, they drafted Hali #12 who has less of them than most.

You’re generalization has question marks to it too.

Lastly, Harrison Barnes is nowhere close to Ben Simmons offensively (which I suspect you really mean “shot wise”) That’s a ridiculous statement that can easily be proven incorrect.

Hollinger came out with his top 23 today. Some curve balls relative to common mocks:

1. Cunningham (says not by much)
2. Mobley
3. Scottie Barnes (thinks he may end up being the best in the draft; I agree)
4. Alperen Sengun

5. Jalen Green
6. Suggs
7. Wagoner
8. Kuminga
9. Jalen Johnson
10. Giddey
11. Jared Butler
12. Kispert
13. Bouknight
14. Moody
15. Garuba
16. Mitchell
17. Miles McBride
18. Keon Johnson (much lower than others)
19. Duarte
20. Springer
21. Roko Prkacin
22. Neemias Queta
23. HERB JONES (MY PERSONAL FAVE)

Missing Donsumu , who would be in the 10 - 20 range for me.

See here: https://theathletic.com/2666193/202...1-cade-cunningham-ranks-no-1-but-not-by-much/
interesting point was he felt the talent falls off a cliff at 9 but his 9 isn’t other people’s 9.

Detroit tanked.. the only difference is that they were actually bad unlike the Thunder who sat Al Horford and SGA for most of the back half of the season when they realized they were going to be too good to land in the top five.
And that still didn’t work.
yeah I suspect if you sit players it wouldn’t surprise me if Silver pulled out their lottery balls. A bit different than Detroit that didn’t sit people and were legitimately bad.

interesting point was he felt the talent falls off a cliff at 9 but his 9 isn’t other people’s 9.
This is one of those drafts where there isn’t a generational player, but lots of sometimes all stars. So I think the entire lottery is a crap shoot this year. Where Jalen Johnson has a 35% chance of being better than Cade rather than the 1% chance in previous years against Lebron, AD…

9th is a pretty good spot to be in this year. I'm only nervous about Orlando picking ahead of us twice. They've made a habit of snapping up plus defenders. The top 4 seems pretty set now (Cade, Mobley, Green, Suggs) unless Toronto does something unexpected or Cleveland finds a way to screw things up again. Kuminga to Orlando fits their organizational M.O. After that it's pretty wide open. I'm also hoping Jalen Johnson ends up falling to us.
It will be interesting what Cleveland does with Sexton if they take Green. Cleveland is hoping Detroit perhaps takes Green.

The KINGS have drafted top 5 before and found players that had question marks. Many of them.

Meanwhile, they drafted Hali #12 who has less of them than most.

You’re generalization has question marks to it too.

Lastly, Harrison Barnes is nowhere close to Ben Simmons offensively (which I suspect you really mean “shot wise”) That’s a ridiculous statement that can easily be proven incorrect.
Drafting a Haliburton is extremely rare, so much so that it was pointed out in every broadcast how mature his game was for a rookie. Those kind of players are the exceptions. One could say that is the job of the GM, to find those exceptions, but you will be disappointed most years if that's how you base success in the draft. A majority of the time you will be drafting someone that is rough around the edges but you can see the diamond through the rough.

And we are talking about draft picks. I assumed people would realize I meant Scottie Barnes since he has been mentioned multiple times, and is high on most people's draft picks at #9. So I'm sorry for the confusion.

Fox+small filler or Hali+9+big filler. As long as we get to keep one of Fox or Hali, I'm emptying the holster for him
I don't hate the idea. Not sure if this was mentioned, but Woj on the broadcast said Hou does want an all star level talent in exchange for the #2 to accelerate their rebuild. I don't think Haliburton fits that for Houston yet, unless they are very high on him. Obviously Fox would fit the bill.

If I'm Monte, moving Fox HAS to be part of a bigger deal where I can also unload and get value for one of the three players I've been shopping (Barnes, Buddy, Bagley). I don't know what return that nets us or if a third team needs to get involved, but I would likely move Fox to get the 2 and legit value for one of those 3 guys.

Fill me in on the joke. I suspect it’s some form of millennial humor.

If you wouldn’t give that up, jokes on you.

If you think it’s not enough, the question wasn’t “what do you think the ROX would agree to” it was “ what would you be willing to give up”.

So, again, enlighten me on the joke.
LOL no need to get offended because I think your trade is funny lol buddy Bagley is the start of every delusional kings trade we come up with cause we want them off our team but you never stop to ask yourself: does the team im trying to trade with have any interest or find any value in these players? Again sorry if you got a little ups triggered by me laughing but it’s moreso about how all of us kings fans think the recipe to every trade proposal is Buddy + Bagley

LOL no need to get offended because I think your trade is funny lol buddy Bagley is the start of every delusional kings trade we come up with cause we want them off our team but you never stop to ask yourself: does the team im trying to trade with have any interest or find any value in these players? Again sorry if you got a little ups triggered by me laughing but it’s moreso about how all of us kings fans think the recipe to every trade proposal is Buddy + Bagley
For what it’s worth as well, back to your original question of what would the Rockets want and for a #1 pick the price should be steep, meaning two of your best players or atleast one. Offering Hou nothing but bench fodder isn’t going to get much traction if you’re not starting with atleast Hali + our pick you’re not seriously considering it from their standpoint as well as ours

gunks

Hall of Famer
I didn’t say they’d do it. Just saying what I’d give up. That, after all, was the question that was posed.
Fair enough! Just being snarky because we didn’t miraculously jump to 1!

For the record, I’d give that up just to move into the top 4! Let alone #2. Hopefully there’s some Baglievers out there on draft day.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Seems like the top 6 are set in the mocks and then they throw darts.
Was Hali in most of the top 5s before draft day? Let's cross our fingers that bad GMs do what bad GMs do.

Would love to see both Mitchell and K. Johnson go before we pick, but I doubt that's actually how it will go down.

If the Kings come out of this draft with either Moody or Barnes, I'll be very excited. If we come out with Wagner or Z. Williams, I'll be happy. If we come out with anyone else, I'll likely be disappointed. I admittedly don't see the hype for J. Johnson. He just seems like he is worse than Barnes in almost every facet of the game besides maybe iso scoring?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Would love to see both Mitchell and K. Johnson go before we pick, but I doubt that's actually how it will go down.

If the Kings come out of this draft with either Moody or Barnes, I'll be very excited. If we come out with Wagner or Z. Williams, I'll be happy. If we come out with anyone else, I'll likely be disappointed. I admittedly don't see the hype for J. Johnson. He just seems like he is worse than Barnes in almost every facet of the game besides maybe iso scoring?
Then maybe you'd like this mock?
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2021/6...021-instant-first-round-picks-detroit-pistons

I don't really know anything about J. Johnson except I made clear my thoughts on Dukies.

If we come out with Wagner or Z. Williams, I'll be happy.
It's funny to notice the subtle impact the mocks already are having on me, because my first instinct would be to agree on being happy with Wagner or Williams, but also to wonder if taking them at 9 would be a "reach." Of course, the truth is they may be the right value at 9, especially if the notion that there's not a ton of difference between guys currently mocked around roughly 7-16 or so is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.