NBA Lottery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The thing for me about Sengun is, with the obvious conceit that he is still really young and has a small chance of being the next Jokic, I’m not sure he provides that much more value at nine than, say, Petrusev at 39.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Let it be another lesson on openly tanking.

I'm glad DET, who was nowhere near openly tanking like HOU and OKC, got #1.
Detroit tanked.. the only difference is that they were actually bad unlike the Thunder who sat Al Horford and SGA for most of the back half of the season when they realized they were going to be too good to land in the top five.
And that still didn’t work.

ETERNALLY NUMBER 9 BABY
Funny, but they haven't had #9 since 1984. And got a pretty darn good player with that pick in Otis Thorpe. My favorite KING for the first few seasons after they moved to town.

I'd be happy with lightning striking twice.

The lottery pick they've historically been cursed with is #7. They've owned it SIX times.

They've also held 5, 6 and 8 three times each.

So of the 25 lotteries the KINGS have participated in (retaining their own pick) today marks 15 lotteries selecting in the 5-8 range. 60% of the time.

Last edited:
Detroit tanked.. the only difference is that they were actually bad unlike the Thunder who sat Al Horford and SGA for most of the back half of the season when they realized they were going to be too good to land in the top five.
And that still didn’t work.
That's why I said "openly tanked" ;)

They were still playing the best players they had. And didn't go the Philly route of filling out the team with G-League'rs.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If they did, I had forgotten about it.
I remember that was when I still watched, we had a huge first half lead on them and it collapsed with a monster comeback I think they were up 10 and then with 2 minutes left, it evaporated. They made bad in bounds plays and even threw up some free throws that looked like Kevin Durant trying to force a second OT of a Game 7. :D

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
how would you feel about him if we did
In terms of skillset Johnson is a good fit for the current NBA as a playmaking 4. But the difference between him being a rotation player and a star are (1) developing his outside shot and (2) his mental makeup.

There's obvious evidence to critique the first and circumstantial evidence to worry about the second.

I was a big fan of Johnson coming into this year and was disappointed at how his season ended at Duke. But if McNair were to gamble on him at #9 I wouldn't be disappointed by that choice.

I remember that was when I still watched, we had a huge first half lead on them and it collapsed with a monster comeback I think they were up 10 and then with 2 minutes left, it evaporated. They made bad in bounds plays and even threw up some free throws that looked like Kevin Durant trying to force a second OT of a Game 7. :D
I just checked. We split with them 1-1.

We lost to the Pistons at home in the midst of one of our 9 game losing streaks.

The game we won in DET was 55-52 at the half and the Pistons held a 5 point lead heading to Q4.

I'm thinking maybe is another team you're think of? Or perhaps not this season??

I realize it's only a 9 pick but I am overly wary of picking Duke players even from our limited sample size.
I've long subscribed to the "not drafting players from Duke" theory. And our personal limited sample size doesn't have the most to do with it.

There just haven't been many healthy, great players from there. Grant Hill had the best NBA career I can remember and he was oft injured too.

Plus, I'm an UNC basketball fan ... so there's that too ;)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I just checked. We split with them 1-1.

We lost to the Pistons at home in the midst of one of our 9 game losing streaks.

The game we won in DET was 55-52 at the half and the Pistons held a 5 point lead heading to Q4.

I'm thinking maybe is another team you're think of? Or perhaps not this season??
Here's the game thread (I may have been hyperbolic about 50pts):
https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/kings-pistons-2-26-21-5pm-pst-8pm-est.77565/

In summary (jump to page 7ish) they came back from 17 points down only to cede the lead back in the closing minutes and intentionally miss free throws in a two point game with time on the clock on at least two occasions.

theoretical question, how much would you be willing to give up to pick Cade with the second overall pick?
I'm not a draft expert and don't watch college basketball as broadly as I once did -- but I do like Cunningham's game and potential fit with Fox and Haliburton.

I'd be willing to give up a lot. Just not Fox or Hali.

HOU can have Buddy, Bagley (or substitute any other players they could want besides Fox and Hali) and #9.

Here's the game thread (I may have been hyperbolic about 50pts):
https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/kings-pistons-2-26-21-5pm-pst-8pm-est.77565/

In summary (jump to page 7ish) they came back from 17 points down only to cede the lead back in the closing minutes and intentionally miss free throws in a two point game with time on the clock on at least two occasions.
Gotcha.

Well, we did lose to them nearly 6 weeks later. During a 9-game losing streak.

So maybe we were the ones tanking?? LOL.

That shouldn't be the case drafting in the lottery.
Except that literally happens in every lottery. Every player has something they need to work on. Most people are very high on Barnes, hell I like him too, but he's basically Ben Simmons on offense. If you wanted a player that didn't have a question mark in their game you would be picking top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.