Trade Bagley?

Agreed. When you're unable to exercise properly, let alone play basketball for a year, how in the world can that be counted as experience? The argument that he hasn't improved falls apart if you accept the fact that he had no opportunity to improve for a full year. So they must include that missed year to solidify their grievance. Next they're going to tell us Marvin should be more muscular because while he was rehabbing, he was watching other guys lift weights.
That's the other thing....it's only a matter of time, before he falls with another major injury. Durability will not be his strong suit, among everything else

gunks

Hall of Famer
He is the idiot who handed the keys to Divac in the first place
Oh for sure. Massively dumb move to hire a guy with zero experience as a fan service/PR move.

I’m not sure if a different GM would have picked Luka at 2 (he did drop to 5 after all), but I’d imagine somebody other than Vlade would have gotten better value with the 2nd pick than grabbing Bagley 5-6 spots too high and calling it a night.

We have another year of his rookie deal IIRC, so I’d like to see how Bags plays under a different coach before trading him. He is finally showing some improvement lately, I’d hate to see McNair sell low.

He is not. The same shortcomings are there that we saw on his college tape: He cant create any offense for others as his one of the lowest ast% proves, he is clearly a bad defender, he isnt a great floor spacer even if he might have improved some on that. Behind all that, all of the (advanced) metrics still indicate that hes still as much of a net negative as he has been since he entered the league.

Basketball IQ related stuff would've improved already if it was to improve drastically. Hes still bad as a help defender or as a pick n roll defender, offensively he doesnt seem to be able to do much else than just finish plays. That stuff would've developed by being a part of a professional organisation but since its even very rare that this type of stuff developes a lot its very tough to still hope for that after 3,4,5 being in the league.

His trade value is very low so its debatable wether its worth it to trade him now. For me I would just take the very late first if we were lucky, even couple of seconds and maybe a cost controlled player attached to that. Better to get something rather than nothing and imo we are only waiting for one gm overvaluing him because waiting on him becoming a net positive starting level player is not happening.

Arguing that being injured means you are not having an opportunity to develope is false imo. You can do a lot of stuff while rehabing, watching tape, improving your handle, learning the game ect especially if you want to improve some basketball iq related stuff. Its hard to improve and thats why you shouldnt bank on that either way but if a player is clearly a net negative in his third year with the same exact concerngs in his game, then expecting him to suddenly become a net positive is a lost cause imo. Especially considering what the concerns in his game are
I'm not arguing with you over this because I don't think I can change your mind. But two seconds for Bagley? I'm glad you are not the GM:)

Oh for sure. Massively dumb move to hire a guy with zero experience as a fan service/PR move.

I’m not sure if a different GM would have picked Luka at 2 (he did drop to 5 after all), but I’d imagine somebody other than Vlade would have gotten better value with the 2nd pick than grabbing Bagley 5-6 spots too high and calling it a night.

We have another year of his rookie deal IIRC, so I’d like to see how Bags plays under a different coach before trading him. He is finally showing some improvement lately, I’d hate to see McNair sell low.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ranadive has already told McNair not to trade him. Then they'll decide to let him go after the contract and get nothing for the the most important pick in franchise history

That's the other thing....it's only a matter of time, before he falls with another major injury. Durability will not be his strong suit, among everything else
A roided out man karate chopping Bagley's hand and breaking it doesn't make him injury prone. He had some foot issues as well, which is more concerning, but they were not major as you described. In the larger context, the Kings organization has not done well with managing injuries for any of its players. It is difficult to tell if his foot problems were recurring or mismanaged. Time will tell, but he has been fine thus far. So there is no reason to assume a major injury will occur.

I'm not arguing with you over this because I don't think I can change your mind. But two seconds for Bagley? I'm glad you are not the GM:)
For m the idea of two seconds plus a cost controlled young guy is based on his current plus probable future value and the opportunity cost with the cap space. I think his amount of salary could be better used in other ways plus I dont think his market improves a lot, still I fully understand if someone doesnt want to take that type of offer.

Last edited:
For m the idea of two seconds plus a cost controlled young guy is based on his current plus probable future value and the opportunity cost with the cap space. I think his amount of salary could be better used in other ways plus I dont think his market improves a lot, still I fully understand if someone doesnt want to take that type of offer.
You have to appreciate the irony:) I'm the guy who's avatar is Vlade's white board and I'm defending MBIII.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Let’s see, team not going anywhere, should be playing younger prospects to see if they can be a part of this future, Kings playing Bagley big minutes because they need to see what the 21 year old who is putting up good numbers can be, some want to deal him for minimal return and probable bigger long shots of any younger guy being better.....ohhhh kayyy.

I don't recall any draft predictions that projected Bagley at 7-8. There was no way that Bagley was going to fall that far.

Let’s see, team not going anywhere, should be playing younger prospects to see if they can be a part of this future, Kings playing Bagley big minutes because they need to see what the 21 year old who is putting up good numbers can be, some want to deal him for minimal return and probable bigger long shots of any younger guy being better.....ohhhh kayyy.
If I knew for a fact that the team would smartly aim their focus from this season to the future and thus give Bagley an opportunity to +30min a game to improve his value then he certainly shouldnt be traded.

If it continues as it is, trying to desperately scratch and claw tight W's against weak opponents by playing 8 man rotations with mostly vets, then there is no reason to expect Bagley to improve his trade value

gunks

Hall of Famer
I don't recall any draft predictions that projected Bagley at 7-8. There was no way that Bagley was going to fall that far.
I think a bunch had him around 5-6. I’m more talking in a re-draft though, so of course hindsight is 20-20. Can’t see Bags higher than 8 if you’re ranking prospects today.

I think a bunch had him around 5-6. I’m more talking in a re-draft though, so of course hindsight is 20-20. Can’t see Bags higher than 8 if you’re ranking prospects today.
Most of the draft experts had Ayton going #1 & Luka going 2nd. Almost all of them had Bagley & Jackson as the next 2 picks. A few had Bamba mixed in there, but not many. The NBA big boards was a different matter. For instance, several with good knowledge said that at least half of the NBA teams didn't have Luka in their top 5.

dude12

Hall of Famer
If I knew for a fact that the team would smartly aim their focus from this season to the future and thus give Bagley an opportunity to +30min a game to improve his value then he certainly shouldnt be traded.

If it continues as it is, trying to desperately scratch and claw tight W's against weak opponents by playing 8 man rotations with mostly vets, then there is no reason to expect Bagley to improve his trade value
I agree with that but not at the expense of little in return. I’m also not at the point that all we need to do is to raise his value to deal Him. Offensively, he’s shown good Improvement and if he can continue the improvement, we need to find out where it caps out. Defensively, I think he’s improved already but still has a ways to go.....but there has been improvement. That is on Marvin AND the coaching staff.

He’s 21 years old. WTF people? He didn’t draft himself. He keeps looking better and better on offense. His defense is still terrible - but so is the whole team. It’s not like he’s the piece that’s wrecking the D. Let’s play him, see what we have, and keep an open mind. If he ever gets stronger - which is likely - this dude will be a stud.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Most of the draft experts had Ayton going #1 & Luka going 2nd. Almost all of them had Bagley & Jackson as the next 2 picks. A few had Bamba mixed in there, but not many. The NBA big boards was a different matter. For instance, several with good knowledge said that at least half of the NBA teams didn't have Luka in their top 5.
Yeah I remember Luka dropping draft day as well with all the concerns about his perceived “low ceiling”.... it was a weird draft.

Anyways, I can admit to being a tad bit hyperbolic and we can move on! :p

Speaking of hyperbole... Bagley can average 25/12, if his defense doesn’t improve he’s still not a plus player on the court at his position, unless he also becomes a MUCH better playmaker (see Randle’s jump).

I’m rooting for him, but I think hoping he increases value as a trade chip is a better bet than hoping he can develop into a core player for the franchise.

Some of PJ's scoring was on Bagley. The Hornets ran a lot of plays to get Bagley to switch off of PJ. PJ scored on HB, Bjelly and the guards while MBIII was covering the guy the scheme had him switch to.
Yeah. I was a little harsh on @Section 101 specifically, when my frustration is in general about the scapegoating.

Without digging in too deep, the team may not have the personnel to execute the scheme the coaches want. IMHO, the breakdown is initially happening at the guard level affecting everything else from there in large part.

Yeah. I was a little harsh on @Section 101 specifically, when my frustration is in general about the scapegoating.

Without digging in too deep, the team may not have the personnel to execute the scheme the coaches want. IMHO, the breakdown is initially happening at the guard level affecting everything else from there in large part.
Part of it is also the defensive scheme. In the 4th quarter, Charlotte created a switch putting Beli on Ball almost every time down the court, & we never made an adjustment.

Part of it is also the defensive scheme. In the 4th quarter, Charlotte created a switch putting Beli on Ball almost every time down the court, & we never made an adjustment.
I could only listen to this game so missed that detail. But I do remember this was an adjustment Luke failed to make during game after game in the bubble. Shame he hasn't progressed.

Our best bet with Bagley is to continue developing him. He has improved no matter what the naysayers have said (and I’m not a big fan)

he is no longer a black hole. He is a poor passer but he at least plays within the offense.

he can hit the three at a reasonable clip. Big skill he has clearly worked on.

he has stayed healthy- he was heading towards the nickname “walking boot Bagley” before the season.

Let’s say next year he improves his free throws to 73 percent, improved his PR with Fox and becomes stronger with at least 20 percent better defense.

At the very least that is a player that has value and could be traded. If he does those 3 things, stays healthy and retains or improves his 3pt shot he will either be useful to the team or worth a first rounder. Someone will bet on a 22 year old kid with size and athleticism

To finish up on this, I just listened to a clip of Walton's press conference on the D-Lo and KC show. Waltin said that the team is letting players drive straight to front of the rim and that the players have to at least contain the offensive player for 2 or 3 dribbles. Then they can talk about weak side defense. But letting the man drive straight line to basket is the biggest issue.

Paraphrasing of course, but he actually said what I was trying to convey. The guards are putting our big men in all kinds of no win situations.

To finish up on this, I just listened to a clip of Walton's press conference on the D-Lo and KC show. Waltin said that the team is letting players drive straight to front of the rim and that the players have to at least contain the offensive player for 2 or 3 dribbles. Then they can talk about weak side defense. But letting the man drive straight line to basket is the biggest issue.

Paraphrasing of course, but he actually said what I was trying to convey. The guards are putting our big men in all kinds of no win situations.
It's reassuring to hear him say these things. Hopefully it will manifest into a visible on court improvement at some point. The team has several key players who need to improve their defence.