what was the last movie you watched?

Alien: Covenant,

It's basically a sequel too Prometheus. I came across an explanation of a story arc that exists between Alien,Predator, and Bladerunner, so, having already seen Prometheus, I decided to watch Covenant. The story arc of the 3 franchises is pretty great.
wait, there's supposedly a BR connection now? never heard that one.

I'll be hanging a new 4(faux)K projector tonight. Figure I'll start blasting through my backlog.

It's October so I gotta watch some scary movies. Watched Scream 2 last night as gf has been streaming a lot on netflix and had watched the first one over the weekend. I liked it more than I did when it came out.

So reading this article, and yes I’m pumped the franchise is still alive, but the last paragraph reads that there will be Aliens: Awakening but I interpret this as it’s not the 3rd prequel movie to the original Alien. Is this how you read this?
The 2nd to last paragraph is what made me think that was was a continuation of the prequels , but I could be wrong. It’s a shame covenant didn’t garner more attention/fanfare. I though stylistically it was in the same vein as Alien/Aliens and I had those same feelings watching it (and Prometheus)as I did those originals ...absolutely loved them

There is crossover with Weyland Yutani Corporation and or Tyrell Corporations in both movies when it comes to the androids. I forget which one exactly as one comes before the other. Also have read that there is a slight nod to one of the corporations in Westworld....an Easter Egg/tribute of sorts.

I’ve read as much as Blade Runner, Aliens, Predator, Total Recall, Minority Report, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, The Man in the High Castle and even Star Trek and Buffy the Vampire Slayer all being in the same shared universe with Kurt Russell’s forgotten late 90s action schlock Soldier being the connecting link for a lot of them. Gets kinda ridiculous really.

Could also throw Terminator on that pile depending on if you believe Hyperdyne was a parody of Cyberdyne or a necessary last minute script revision due to copyright issues.

As for Blade Runner and Alien specifically though, mostly tons of fan service and Easter eggs sprinkled around both franchises, but fairly explicit. Would add some sweet context to Roy Batty’s “Tears In Rain” speech with the whole “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe.”

<shivers> nuke it from space.

Finally saw The Grand Budapest Hotel after 5 years of it being on my “must watch” list.

Loved it. Easily my favorite Wes Anderson film, although to be fair, I’m not otherwise an Uberfan of his work.

Saoirse Ronan was a bit underutilized in my opinion and sometimes the intentionally and “artistically” crude humor was so jarring it briefly took me out of the pitch perfect “warped fairytale” angle, but easily a strong 8 to soft 9/10 from me.

When I was little my sitter came over with a pair of 3D glasses having just seen Parasite. This movie was one of the first of the Silver Age of 3D in the 80s, which featured many films very heavy on gag shots and pop out effects which is not something that came in the 00s revival. It was also Demi Moore's first feature role and it also had Cherie Currie of Runaways fame.

I finally got a chance to see this in 3D on Halloween night. It is not a good movie - the lead actor is absolutely terrible - but I have to say the 3D restoration is absolutely amazing and the effects were great. This is why I fell in love with 3D movies in the 80s.

I’ve read as much as Blade Runner, Aliens, Predator, Total Recall, Minority Report, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, The Man in the High Castle and even Star Trek and Buffy the Vampire Slayer all being in the same shared universe with Kurt Russell’s forgotten late 90s action schlock Soldier being the connecting link for a lot of them. Gets kinda ridiculous really.

Could also throw Terminator on that pile depending on if you believe Hyperdyne was a parody of Cyberdyne or a necessary last minute script revision due to copyright issues.

As for Blade Runner and Alien specifically though, mostly tons of fan service and Easter eggs sprinkled around both franchises, but fairly explicit. Would add some sweet context to Roy Batty’s “Tears In Rain” speech with the whole “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe.”

<shivers> nuke it from space.
Soldier at least has a direct lineage to Blade Runner. David Peoples was the second writer brought in to polish the Blade Runner script and he wrote the Soldier script as a spinoff using some of his discarded ideas from the first movie because he was broke and Clint Eastwood had bought the rights to his Unforgiven script only to sit on it for ten years so he needed screen credits to pad his resume. Of course it ended up being 15 years before that movie was made too by which time it hadn't aged well. I think it would have been a successful movie in the late 80s but by 1998 sci-fi action movies were a dime a dozen.

If you want to get really crazy with the connections though, Star Wars is quite obviously inspired by Dune and the entire art department for Alien came from Jodorowsky's failed attempt to film the first adaptation of that movie in the mid 70s. And the script for Alien only got picked up because it was the only sci-fi spec script on the Fox lot the week that Star Wars came out. After directing Alien, Ridley Scott was asked to direct Dune but eventually quit the project when script development was taking too long and made Blade Runner instead. We can only dream now about what a Ridley Scott Dune film(s) would have been like. But there is a new version coming out next year directed by, of course, Blade Runner 2049 director Denis Villeneuve. I don't know about the specifics of how these fictional worlds might fit together but they all share a common lineage so it makes sense that there would be thematic consistencies as well. You could also connect them to The Fifth Element, Tron, Willow and The Abyss through French comic book artist Jean Giraud (aka Moebius) and that gives you a third link to James Cameron who claims he quit his job and moved to Hollywood immediately after seeing Star Wars for the first time. And if you want to take another angle, both Dune and Star Wars are anti-war allegories in the same vein as The Lord of the Rings. Then there's the other Philip K. Dick adaptations of course and all the many works inspired by George Lucas, and Blade Runner, and Alien.

I don't know anything about Marvel but you could reasonably claim that blockbuster cinema as it currently exists all begins with a few writers in the mid 19th century and the generation that grew up imagining what the worlds they wrote about would look like.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just watched Terminator this morning. Hell yes, I enjoyed it. I’ve liked all of them. Thought the newbie characters were good additions. Thought Linda Hamilton held her own and of course, Arnold was great again.
I'm pretty much here, too. Other than 1 and 2, this was likely the best. A bit derivative from the first two at times, but very enjoyable. My only real complaint is:

One thing I liked about 1 and 2 is that the danger is close. The terminators are close-in killers and the action in these movies doesn't go too overboard or extreme with the stunts. In this one there are times where I think they got away from that (especially with the airplanes crashing together in midair, etc.), and it started making this feel more like a Mission Impossible movie or something.

Aside from a few documentaries, I finally watched Avengers End Game over the weekend. I felt it was a pretty satisfying end to the arc. I will probably wind up with Disney's streaming service so I look forward to whatever is next.

Also had watched The House with a Clock in its Walls with my kiddo after the basketball game we went to last week. It was a good spookyish movie that both of us could enjoy.

Lastly he made us watch Pixels. We had seen it in the theater 4 years ago when it came out. The reviews were terrible but as a child of that time period I guess it hit the right notes for me. It still held up as better than it should have been for me.

Oh yeah, watched Aquaman too. It was pretty fun, the final battle was a bit much for my tastes but the visuals were really cool. Also fun cast.

Aside from a few documentaries, I finally watched Avengers End Game over the weekend. I felt it was a pretty satisfying end to the arc. I will probably wind up with Disney's streaming service so I look forward to whatever is next.

Also had watched The House with a Clock in its Walls with my kiddo after the basketball game we went to last week. It was a good spookyish movie that both of us could enjoy.

Lastly he made us watch Pixels. We had seen it in the theater 4 years ago when it came out. The reviews were terrible but as a child of that time period I guess it hit the right notes for me. It still held up as better than it should have been for me.

Oh yeah, watched Aquaman too. It was pretty fun, the final battle was a bit much for my tastes but the visuals were really cool. Also fun cast.
agree on the house with clock in wall. We watched it with the kids, but my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. Goosebumps 1 and 2 had a similar feel as well.

agree on the house with clock in wall. We watched it with the kids, but my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. Goosebumps 1 and 2 had a similar feel as well.
We watched the first but not the second. Oddly I felt like Goosebumps 1 and Pixels were more or less the same story. I like Jack Black and know some don't - I think his absence in part 2 is why we didn't see it.

Watched Dr Sleep on Saturday morning. Big fan of Stephen King and read the book. I thought they did a very good job making the movie and I enjoyed it quite a bit. A great continuation of The Shining.

Took in Ford vs Ferrari last night. Really enjoyed it. I’m a big Christian Bale fan and thought he was great as Ken Miles. Not the biggest Matt Damon fan but also thought he did a good job as Carroll Shelby.

Watched John Wick 3 last night. Found it pretty enjoyable though I was expecting a little more continuity with some of the characters in chapter two, maybe that was wrong. Girlfriend walked out before the final battle. She thought it got a little repetitive. Maybe she has a point. Visually it was very cool - I think I finally dialed in the HDR settings on my new projector and this really showed it off.

Saw Jojo Rabbit this afternoon. The movie is in limited release, but I think it's supposed to go in wider release soon.

Excellent movie that contains a little of everything and maneuvers the fine line of being predictable, yet unpredictable; funny, but somber, heart breaking, yet life affirming.

The director is Taiki Waititi, who also directed Thor Ragnorok. Worth a look if you have a chance to see it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am arguably the last person on the planet who is a Marvel fan and yet had not, until today, seen Avengers Endgame. I watched every MCU movie in order of release before watching it... I am honestly amazed at what they created over the years. I may just watch every one of them again - this time in chronological order.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I am arguably the last person on the planet who is a Marvel fan and yet had not, until today, seen Avengers Endgame. I watched every MCU movie in order of release before watching it... I am honestly amazed at what they created over the years. I may just watch every one of them again - this time in chronological order.
My sister's family and I have been doing that off and on. I think they have done a FANTASTIC job of making a real "universe" out of it that holds together pretty well. And the movies are generally very good to excellent!

I was the same until I had my kids. Suffice to say I have watched a ton over tbe last few years and I am actually really enjoying them. Just watched captain marvel the other day and it was pretty good too.
guardians is my favorite though

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just saw a trailer for the "Hunt for the Bone Collector"... Hollywood has officially lost its freaking mind. You don't remake a classic Denzel Washington/Angelina Jolie movie.