MARVIN BAGLEY III

Relying on playmakers is standard for big men. It’s why they are hardly offensive savants which I documented earlier. This is why if you’re drafting a big man with a top pick he must project as an elite defender.
I agree. I mean if your big man requires another player to set him up, then why not draft JJJ or Bamba or even Robert Williams and get the defense out of him as well?

Bagley has to be capable of taking other players 1 on 1. Maybe not right this second, but it'll be absolutely required in the future or else this is a wasted pick.

I didn't say everyone is doing it, I said it's the second person I've seen take an unnecessary dig at him today. Forgive my hostility but I was hoping that the one good thing that would come from trading him, would be the ceasing of cheap shots from his detractors. Fair enough you don't fall into that category, but I'm struggling to see how your comment wasn't both incorrect and a slight.

Months later, and in completely unrelated threads, I still have to wade through anti-Cousins nonsense. Maybe I misinterpreted your post, then.
Well.. as long as there is always pro-Cousins sentiment and resentment to trading him, there will always be anti-Cousins sentiment and resentment of his time in Sacramento. You have fans here who hate on Buddy Hield simply because we traded Cousins for him. Can't have it both ways.

With regards to Summer League - looking at stats alone does not predict future success/ failure. But you should see glimpses of skill/ athleticism if a player is really going to be good in the future. As someone said, all we needed is one look at PapaG's "post moves" and him trying to back down his defender for 10 minutes and we could easily say it would take a miracle for him to even be a rotation player.

It's harder to gauge skills for bigs because they don't have the ball in their hands, and in any case the league is trending away from post moves (i.e. I expect that more and more players entering the league will not have good post skills). I think it's fair to want to see more from a potential franchise player, #2 pick, and a reasonable level of disappointment is certainly fair and expected. It is also largely driven by warranted lack of faith in our GM.

One thing that we should take away from these games - our PG spot may not be getting scrutinized enough. If our offense is so reliant on Fox and pushing the pace, we need to start thinking about what happens when Fox is off the court, or gets injured (remembering that thus far Fox is not the sturdiest of players), because I sure as hell am not counting on Frank Mason to do the job.

Some advanced stats from his college days:

Def Reb Perc 21% Total reb Perc 17.9%

Both of these fall out of the top 20 and below Ayton/Bamba. He was 7th overall in the ACC in def reb %.

PPS 1.14 (less than other bigs)
PPS in PnR 1.5 (good)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I mostly agree with Jalen there. I mean I expect more from the #2 pick in summer league but at the same time, what's with the Kings always neglecting to put their best prospects in positions to succeed?

He only took 2 shots but he had a handful of opportunities. Of course most of them were of the 1 on 1 variety. We would be looking at an 0-6 or a 1-10 type day if he would have taken more shots.
I don't mostly agree with Rose. I totally agree with Rose. He does know what he's talking about!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I agree. I mean if your big man requires another player to set him up, then why not draft JJJ or Bamba or even Robert Williams and get the defense out of him as well?

Bagley has to be capable of taking other players 1 on 1. Maybe not right this second, but it'll be absolutely required in the future or else this is a wasted pick.
Look, Bagley can take player's one on one all day long if they get him the ball on the move. As Rose intimated, you're not going to be successful getting him the ball when he's stationary in the post on a regular basis. He's just not developed physically enough to do that. When he's 22 years old maybe we can "bag" on him for not being physical or skilled enough in the post. At this point, it's a ridiculous bar set too high so as to insure disappointment.

Is Total Rebounding Percent a particularly useful stat when looking at someone like Bagley who played next to another top caliber big man in Wendell Carter?
Carter DREB % was slightly higher at 23%.

For comparison, Willie's is 22% last year and 20% the year before.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Marvin Bagley III experienced a tweak in his right hip flexor/groin area during tonight’s game vs. Suns in Vegas. He will undergo an MRI on Monday and more information will be shared at that time. He will not play tomorrow against the Clippers and is doubtful on Tues vs. Memphis</p>&mdash; James Ham (@James_HamNBCS) <a href=" ">July 8, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think a lot here are expecting a close to nba ready player from game 1 but this draft class wasnt that in my opinion. Every team drafted for potential and I think Bagley was the best choice. Lets see what the kid does game 1 after a summer of practice.

Last edited:
I haven't watched MBIII a lot before draft, but I like what I see..

kid has a great athleticism, motor, motivation and character.. he really fits Kings..

he is still raw prospect, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes from the bench at the begining, but his ceiling is high.. and I like that he has all the tools to reach it.. will he, depends on him.. good thing about him is that he will give you something even on a bad day..

problem in his first games is that he doesn't get what he needs from point guard, as we could see when Fox was there, he lookd much productive.. and second thing it looks like he tries to much to impress, and he put himself a bagage of expectations on sholders when there was no need to.. I think he will look much better in regular season.

also I like his partnership with Gilles and I think Gilles and Fox as one of the new faces of franchise also had something to do with him being pick at #2..

now Doncic is in my opinion most NBA ready player on this draft, he is already mentaly matured, he already played at high level so he is prepared for this step.. so he will be better in first two seasons than Bagley for sure.. answer for a question did Kings made a mistake on this draft we will get in couple of seasons and Bagley will give an answer.. Doncic will play on his (above average) level of basketball, but if Bagley starts getting closer to his ceiling he will surpass Doncic for sure..

If he had the confidence Giles has in his shot he'd be deadly, and needs more work in his lateral agility and handles. Not giving up on him yet, but he needs to start the year strong.
Definitely not. Even if he never becomes a superstar that some crazily hyped after his rookie year, there is absolutely nothing wrong drafting rotational 3rd big in the late first round. That's a success if he sticks. I mean, in two years, he's averaged 9 points and 5 boards in 20 minutes of play. I'm hoping this summer he's in the weight room to work on his core strength and he's shooting hundreds of 3's. I think he's destined to be our stretch 4 off the bench for many years to come.

Ive really liked what ive seen from Bagley. I dont see poor play during SL to be much of an issue. Youre supposed to expect sloppy play at this level. The game that he has flashed is consistent with what made him a top prospect. The only downside for me is his lack of ability to use his right hand. Im sure everyone including Bagley is aware it needs work. I think its ok to assume that he will improve it.

If he had the confidence Giles has in his shot he'd be deadly, and needs more work in his lateral agility and handles. Not giving up on him yet, but he needs to start the year strong.
Confidence in his shot? How about any confidence at all or the semblance of some sort of toughness? He makes Charmin ultra soft toilet paper look like 100 grit sandpaper. He gets pushed around on defense, lost half the time on offense, and is super hot/cold with his jumpers. I cringe when he comes into the game because he can't stop anyone.

I've got nothing against him personally, but weak minded players like him typically don't do well. They don't have the confidence and the necessary toughness to hang in this league. Everyone keeps giving him tissues for all of "struggles" he had in college and his confidence being broken. Demarcus Cousins was a nutcase half the time and we were the worst franchise in all of sports and even with those odds he became a perennial all star. Skal couldn't even find time to stay on the court last year with a pitiful roster filled with holes; he spent significant portions of the season in the doghouse. Does that not tell you all you need to know?

Enough with the kid gloves with this kid. This is what we did with Ben. Flashes of this and flashes of that. Ben sucked and I knew it after the first season. Skal is no different. Just because he's a nice kid doesn't mean he's a good player. He's far from it. That being said, I wouldn't trade him just to trade him, but if a trade came along and his salary fit the bill, then goodbye it is. Wouldn't hesitate a second. We kept Ben way too long and paid the price. I don't want us to repeat the same mistake.

Skal has had a better start to his career than Ben, and a higher ceiling imo. I met Ben and he didn't know how to use a vending machine for crying out loud.

That's not saying much, most players have better starts than Ben. Ben was garbage from early on. Let's look at some details. Skal played in 60 games (28 of them starts) last season compared to 33 (12 starts) the year before that, so almost double and he played about 2 minutes more per game, up from 18.5 to 20.7...

-Field goal attempts went up from 6.6 to 7.6 but FG% went from 54% to 45%. Awful
-He shot way more threes last year and hit only 35% of them. This is supposed to be a strong suit
-Free throw attempts actually went down from 2.2 his rookie year to just 2 attempts a game last year (he did have a higher % last year though)
-Rebounds per game decreased from 4.9 to 4.8 (even with Cousins gone, still couldn't rebound)
-Blocks and assists did go up

To sum it up: He played more minutes, started more games and had a bigger role. He responded by shooting 9% percent worse, rebounded less, short a worse percentage with threes, and had less free throw attempts. His assists do go up and along with his block rate so I give him credit there. Overall though, very disappointing.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/labissk01.html