Kings free agency, part 3

I think Arturas may have a chance to be a contributer this year.

I hope vlade can get him over to play. Philly had invited him to their summer league already.

Spurs and Warriors will (barring major injuries) be the heavyweights of the Western Conference this season. But Portland may well fall out of the playoff picture. And I honestly believe that DeAndre Jordan going from the Clippers to the Mavs may damage both teams. I think Jordan is a great defensive anchor but asking him to shoulder more of the load offensively without Blake and CP3 feeding him for easy looks could be a bad idea. DJ plus an aging Dirk and post-injury Matthews may not be a better core than Rondo/Collison, Gay and Cousins (and possibly WCS depending on how quickly he starts contributing) when all is said and done. If the Kings can fill out the roster with solid role players I think there's an opening in the playoffs, especially with a full training camp under Karl.

I'd count on San Antonio, Golden State, Houston, and Memphis making the playoffs for sure. Likely the Thunder if Durant and Westbrook stay healthy. After that?

The Clippers, Pelicans, Suns, Mavericks, Blazers, Kings and maybe the Jazz fighting for three spots.

Depending on how the rest of the free agency period shakes out I honestly might like the Kings chances to make the postseason next year.

May be a pipe dream, but what about absorbing David Lee's contract? Even a remote possibility? I've always liked the guy's game. I think he's at $15 mil, I *think* the Kings have about $14 mil, maybe something could be tweaked to make it work?

May be a pipe dream, but what about absorbing David Lee's contract? Even a remote possibility? I've always liked the guy's game. I think he's at $15 mil, I *think* the Kings have about $14 mil, maybe something could be tweaked to make it work?
I think we are better off using the money to strengthen our depth. Going after players to create bench depth and versatility like Casspi, Bass, and Wesley Johnson (or a solid 3 who can shoot and defend ) would be more valuable in my opinion. I do like Lee and having another winner on the team would be great, but 15 mil for a player who is past his prime is probably not the wisest. I do think he would work great in the second unit with Bellinelli / BMAC, and Collison though.

We have to re-sign Omri Casspi for a decent contract, last year he proved all the criticizers that he is an important component of the Kings squad, a hustle player, loyal player, gives his heart out on the court and plays with a lot of enthusiasm, in Israel we call it a "soul player" it means that he is a player that is very crucial for building and sustaining a team's chemistry, a big factor for pushing the team for better results and better accomplishments, not necessarily by his basketball performance but also by his commitment and mental strength.

Casspi proved last season that he is capable to improve more aspects of his game, displayed some decent numbers in rebounds and assists, and as the season winded-up Casspi even got better under George Karl's leadership, breaking his career high in points and establishing a new career high for 31 points.

Casspi constantly persists about how much he enjoys living in the city of Sacramento and how much he likes playing for the Sacramento Kings, he really sees this team, this city and this community as his second home.

I really wish that the Kings will reward him with a prolongation of his second stint with this team.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Now that will be a scary team....

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Spurs are aggressively pursuing free agent David West with a veteran minimum offer now, sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
ESPN sources say that Gregg Popovich, as of now, is intent on coaching out his entire five-year contract that he signed last summer
Awesome.

I don't want GS or Lebron winning another ring. Sac vs Spurs in the 2018 WCF.

The only time Pop was cocky was here, and it was glorious.

There's nothing not to like about the Spurs. Gives hope to every small market franchise.
I love arrogant Pop and apparently he is also good at recruiting since LMA decided to sign there after meeting him...

That's good recruiting- Chandler Parsons level good...

Did our Trade exemptions expire already? I hope we go after KJ McDaniels. I loved him from last years draft

Pipe dream but not in the way you think of. They've maintained that they will take care of him. This means trading him to a contender or where he wants, even if they get less on the trade. He's earned it imo.

Maybe now isn't the time to renew the Vivek bashing. We're having an incredible run with Vlade making some great moves, IMHO. And how has that happened? Vivek has ceded control to Vlade and is obviously letting him do the heavy lifting. And I suspect the whole culture from the days of THE TEAM is definitely in Vlade's plans.
Fair enough. The point was to not try and disparage the Spurs for success, but try to use their example as a way to fix ourselves. We're the problem, not them.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Can we also take a moment to laugh at the Mavericks for paying DeAndre Freaking Jordan as much as Aldridge got?
Why? They've only got so many years left with Dirk so the goal should be to throw money out there and try to make once last run.

Signing Matthews/DA is obviously a gamble, but Cuban has shown he's willing to take gambles and if those guy can stay healthy, and they find a PG/a few bench guys, it's really not the joke some are making it out to be.

They didn't really have a choice either. Think Dirk would be happier without DA and more cap space? To spend on whom? How's it that funny given the money we've offered a few FAs? We've thrown big numbers at questionable players only to be rejected.

Why? They've only got so many years left with Dirk so the goal should be to throw money out there and try to make once last run.

Signing Matthews/DA is obviously a gamble, but Cuban has shown he's willing to take gambles and if those guy can stay healthy, and they find a PG/a few bench guys, it's really not the joke some are making it out to be.

They didn't really have a choice either. Think Dirk would be happier without DA and more cap space? To spend on whom? How's it that funny given the money we've offered a few FAs? We've thrown big numbers at questionable players only to be rejected.
They got Jordan, a massively overrated defender, for his defense. At the max. Losing Tyson Chandler, a greatly underrated roleplayer who cost half as much. One fourth of their cap will be consumed by a glorified roleplayer.

They have to start thinking beyond the Dirk era. Dirk is declined to the point where he won't lead them anywhere. So they HAVE to get a better PG for this to work. Losing Ellis means they have zero perimeter creativity on the roster. Jordan is an offensive pylon without someone feeding him easy shots.

Regardless of whether they do or don't get a PG, it was a severe overpay for Jordan. As of right now Dallas' roster is demonstrably worse than last season.

While the west will be stronger overall, it now has 2 clear heavyweights. Memphis, Houston and OKC a notch below SA and GS.

Dallas has tons of question marks. What if Wes isn't the same or gets hurt again? What if Dirks game takes an even bigger fall? Can they mask Deandre's weaknesses like the Clippers were able to?

How will the Clippers far with no Center and now quality wing defenders?

The West will be tough, but there will also be more winnable games to be had. Dominating the East and protecting your home floor will be key.