Kings free agency, part 3

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spurs and Warriors will (barring major injuries) be the heavyweights of the Western Conference this season. But Portland may well fall out of the playoff picture. And I honestly believe that DeAndre Jordan going from the Clippers to the Mavs may damage both teams. I think Jordan is a great defensive anchor but asking him to shoulder more of the load offensively without Blake and CP3 feeding him for easy looks could be a bad idea. DJ plus an aging Dirk and post-injury Matthews may not be a better core than Rondo/Collison, Gay and Cousins (and possibly WCS depending on how quickly he starts contributing) when all is said and done. If the Kings can fill out the roster with solid role players I think there's an opening in the playoffs, especially with a full training camp under Karl.

I'd count on San Antonio, Golden State, Houston, and Memphis making the playoffs for sure. Likely the Thunder if Durant and Westbrook stay healthy. After that?

The Clippers, Pelicans, Suns, Mavericks, Blazers, Kings and maybe the Jazz fighting for three spots.

Depending on how the rest of the free agency period shakes out I honestly might like the Kings chances to make the postseason next year.

For what? Drafting well, treating their players with respect, or managing the team in a professional manner?

Yeah its tough to hate those guys...

Not only are they one of the best ran franchises in the country, (only behind the Giants imo) but they do it the right way with out being cocky about it.

This doesn't make a lot of sense. Harris was an RFA. He got very close to the max from Orlando anyway. He could just have signed the alleged Kings max offer sheet, had Orlando match, and stay in Orlando for like $1M more a year or something. What's Orlando going to say? No? 4/64 is fine, but 4/68 and you can walk? It's Orlando we're talking about.

Did news of Harris' acceptance of the Orlando offer come after news of Rondo's acceptance of our offer? That's the way I seem to remember it. And if so, I don't even think we have cap room to make a 4/64 offer once Rondo was on board.

I mean, I like the idea that we're going for all the big name free agents, but I'm a bit skeptical of some of these reports.

Yea, we've been seeing these for days now. Lies and lies to make the kings look as bad as possible.

Sam Amico@AmicoHoops
7 mins ago
Cavs and Spurs appear to be frontrunners for PF David West (Pacers). West indicated he's willing to take less $ to play for contender.

If I recall, early in FA it appeared that the Cavs had locked up Tristan Thompson but supposedly not much progress has been made since. If they land West, that gives them Love, Varejao, Mozgov, and West as bigs. I don't see how they have money/playing time left for Tristan. What would you guys think of Tristan as a 3rd big with the rest of our space? Great offensive rebounder but I'm not sure about the fit with Cuz

Sam Amico@AmicoHoops
7 mins ago
Cavs and Spurs appear to be frontrunners for PF David West (Pacers). West indicated he's willing to take less $ to play for contender.

If I recall, early in FA it appeared that the Cavs had locked up Tristan Thompson but supposedly not much progress has been made since. If they land West, that gives them Love, Varejao, Mozgov, and West as bigs. I don't see how they have money/playing time left for Tristan. What would you guys think of Tristan as a 3rd big with the rest of our space? Great offensive rebounder but I'm not sure about the fit with Cuz
They are paying the tax, so no.

Didnt mean it in an offensive way, but whatever.
Oh, I get the sentiment. But if you're directing ire, I think all of it should go to vivek. We had stability, new hope, wins, and a new arena. New Era, new Kings. Blah blah. We're different now. Phoenix rising. It would have been a pretty good sell as an underdog team. But Kings stock has never been lower.

We shouldn't be saying **** spurs, we should be actively looking for ways to build towards them. Their guys are loyal for life, even after they leave. Our guys talk crap once they get shipped out,and some during.

I cannot hate on the spurs, good for them.

I still don't understand why lilliard signed the max with Portland when their other 4 starters were either traded or left via FA. Damien would've gotten more in two years and had a chance to go to a legit championship team. Bad move by Damien. I don't see the trailblazers in the playoffs next year and it's an golden opportunity to takr their spot. (I think Utah us primed to take that spot)

Sam Amico@AmicoHoops
7 mins ago

I think he's gonna go for near max which we can't offer... it will be interesting to see if Portland will give him a max offer, they have a ton of cap space now and a hole at PF...

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Sam Amico@AmicoHoops
7 mins ago
The veteran minimum is a lot less than West could fetch on the open market. I mean, the Knicks/Lakers would probably give West $15M at this point, while his minimum is a bit less than $1.5M. I understand wanting to win, but wow.

more reports about FA some here wanted:

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
While continuing to monitor David West pursuit, Wizards moving on to re-sign Drew Gooden and add wing player, per sources.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
ESPN sources say Mavs firmly in mix for Jeremy Lin -- who broke into NBA as a Dallas summer leaguer -- but Lin can make more money elsewhere

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Free agent center Bismack Biyombo has agreed to a two-year, $6 million deal with the Toronto Raptors, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Anybody have the names of the International players linked with Kings? The two second rounders we got from Phillly and the big guy from Serbia or a neighboring country that Vlade was said to be interested in. Appreciate getting them. Thanks.

Do you think Koufos and Cousins can share the floor? I don't see it, would love to hear someone else's opinion about it.

I really like him as a player, but if he can't play together with Cousins I don't see him as a priority. I am more worried about the PF position, I don't like Rudy starting there and WCS is still a rookie...
Absolutely. Cuz allows you to pair him with whoever you want because he can do just about anything offensively. Defensively, it'd be fantastic too, especially since Koufos is so good at rotating on defense.

The veteran minimum is a lot less than West could fetch on the open market. I mean, the Knicks/Lakers would probably give West $15M at this point, while his minimum is a bit less than $1.5M. I understand wanting to win, but wow.
West has never been a guy concerned about money. He's taken far less than his market value with the Pacers in his last 2 contracts. And its not like he's made peanuts either, dude has 87mil in career earnings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh, I get the sentiment. But if you're directing ire, I think all of it should go to vivek. We had stability, new hope, wins, and a new arena. New Era, new Kings. Blah blah. We're different now. Phoenix rising. It would have been a pretty good sell as an underdog team. But Kings stock has never been lower.

We shouldn't be saying **** spurs, we should be actively looking for ways to build towards them. Their guys are loyal for life, even after they leave. Our guys talk poopoo once they get shipped out,and some during.
Maybe now isn't the time to renew the Vivek bashing. We're having an incredible run with Vlade making some great moves, IMHO. And how has that happened? Vivek has ceded control to Vlade and is obviously letting him do the heavy lifting. And I suspect the whole culture from the days of THE TEAM is definitely in Vlade's plans.

I find it rather hilarious that Deandre Jordan is going to be paid the same as Lamarcus Aldridge. What is Cuban thinking? Horrible signing for them and it makes the Clippers worse. Love it.