• Poor coaching/use of personnel

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • NBA 3.0

Votes: 43 58.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
The sad thing is that if Mike Malone had been forced to quit for family reasons etc. Then then most of the media would be making excuses for these losses as understandable because of the BAD luck the team had gone though. Instead it is willful self sabotage from the front office.

CALM DOWN EVERYONE! I think we have no choice but have patience. It will take time for everyone to adapt to the new tempo. When they do they will probably be able to play some defense and have less turn overs. Look at teams like the Spurs and Warriors. They play at a tempo that most other teams have trouble with. I think that is what they are trying to accomplish. Sacrifice some games now for a better faster team down the road. Really it doesn't do much good to constantly complain about it at this point. I just hope they have a plan that will work out in the long run.

CALM DOWN EVERYONE! I think we have no choice but have patience. It will take time for everyone to adapt to the new tempo. When they do they will probably be able to play some defense and have less turn overs. Look at teams like the Spurs and Warriors. They play at a tempo that most other teams have trouble with. I think that is what they are trying to accomplish. Sacrifice some games now for a better faster team down the road. Really it doesn't do much good to constantly complain about it at this point. I just hope they have a plan that will work out in the long run.
but the Spurs and Warriors (now) also play defense. They also have a vastly superior team.

Pete, that you?

I still don't understand why we couldn't have just done this before the season. If we fire him before the season, then at least it gives a new coach a direction to head in with a training camp. If Malone was here and the locker room was starting to break apart with comments with Cousins has had the last two days, then sure, maybe look to get rid of him. But.... ugh.
I think the answer is simple:
They looked at the early schedule and expected Malone and the team to fail.
So if we go 2-12 to start the season, then they can fire Malone, move to an interim coach, and have most of the fan base agree since we were not winning.

So they probably believed that firing Malone after a single season, especially after over-hauling the entire roster except for JT & Cousins, would cause fans to be upset as Malone wouldn't have had a 'fair' shot...with a full training camp with all the players.

So they figured they would save themselves some grief and fire Malone after we got killed in the early part of the season.

The problem is that EVERYONE on the team bought in to what Malone & Cousins were trying to do...and we were winning instead of losing...and they then looked at the cupcake December/January schedule and fired Malone before he got back to winning games again.

To me, it's the only thing that makes sense...and it's just really pathetic.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So I'm guessing you didn't see DeMarcus after the game, talking about how some guys just aren't pulling their weight and have given up? It's really easy to tell people to calm down but there are lots of reasons for Kings fans to be very vocal right now about what they see.

We have every right in the world to question and complain. In fact, if we didn't question what was happening now we wouldn't be Kings fans.

I'm really glad that you're willing to settle for just hoping "that they have a plan that will work out in the long run." I'm just not that trusting any more. I've invested 30 years of my life into being a Kings fan. I think I've earned the right to speak my piece. And I showed enough patience already to last a lifetime.

Vivek made some pretty big promises to all of us. I think we all have the right and obligation to hold him accountable.

I think the answer is simple:
They looked at the early schedule and expected Malone and the team to fail.
So if we go 2-12 to start the season, then they can fire Malone, move to an interim coach, and have most of the fan base agree since we were not winning.

So they probably believed that firing Malone after a single season, especially after over-hauling the entire roster except for JT & Cousins, would cause fans to be upset as Malone wouldn't have had a 'fair' shot...with a full training camp with all the players.

So they figured they would save themselves some grief and fire Malone after we got killed in the early part of the season.

The problem is that EVERYONE on the team bought in to what Malone & Cousins were trying to do...and we were winning instead of losing...and they then looked at the cupcake December/January schedule and fired Malone before he got back to winning games again.

To me, it's the only thing that makes sense...and it's just really pathetic.
Their plan totally backfired

So I'm guessing you didn't see DeMarcus after the game, talking about how some guys just aren't pulling their weight and have given up? It's really easy to tell people to calm down but there are lots of reasons for Kings fans to be very vocal right now about what they see.

We have every right in the world to question and complain. In fact, if we didn't question what was happening now we wouldn't be Kings fans.

I'm really glad that you're willing to settle for just hoping "that they have a plan that will work out in the long run." I'm just not that trusting any more. I've invested 30 years of my life into being a Kings fan. I think I've earned the right to speak my piece. And I showed enough patience already to last a lifetime.

Vivek made some pretty big promises to all of us. I think we all have the right and obligation to hold him accountable.
Ok. No offence.

I must admit, that this was disgusting. DMC not crossing the timeline, DMC not boxing out, DMC playing lazy defense, DMC not getting enough touches on offense and standing around at the 3 pt line way too often - part of it might be the consequence of the new playstyle, but to me it looked like DMC really checked out and isn't interested anymore. He was back to his old, always upset self - if he was upset by the general playstyle or by his own at times poor performance remains to be seen.
Pushing the ball over the timeline as fast as possible, looking for a good shot and to pull it out and wait for DMC to get into position, if the look isn't there still seems not too bad of a plan to me, but we can't wait for 15 seconds before DMC even crosses the timeline. He might be in poor condition because of his illnesses - i don't know.
If this is our new playstyle and the best Corbin can do for the remainder of the season, we are doomed. If DMC doesn't even try to pick up the pace the whole plan of PDA and Vivek will blow up quickly. Maybe DMC hasn't the right mindset :p? I agree that he isn't build for running non stop, but i'm pretty sure, that it doesn't need to look like what we saw in this game.
Illness or another power struggle - this time between GM, Advisor, Owner, Coach and the franchise player and once in a decade center? Concerning to say the least.

As always our offense was too turnover prone, but not really the problem (still there was way less pick&roll and way more ISO - clearly a step back). We scored enough. But you won't win games with defense like this. What's concerning is, that our D was set most of the time and still the Nets scored at will.

What did DMC say after the game? There was no coverage on league pass. Thanks!

K

KingMilz

I must admit, that this was disgusting. DMC not crossing the timeline, DMC not boxing out, DMC playing lazy defense, DMC not getting enough touches on offense and standing around at the 3 pt line way too often - part of it might be the consequence of the new playstyle, but to me it looked like DMC really checked out and isn't interested anymore. He was back to his old, always upset self - if he was upset by the general playstyle or by his own at times poor performance remains to be seen.
Pushing the ball over the timeline as fast as possible, looking for a good shot and to pull it out and wait for DMC to get into position, if the look isn't there still seems not too bad of a plan to me, but we can't wait for 15 seconds before DMC even crosses the timeline. He might be in poor condition because of his illnesses - i don't know.
If this is our new playstyle and the best Corbin can do for the remainder of the season, we are doomed. If DMC doesn't even try to pick up the pace the whole plan of PDA and Vivek will blow up quickly. Maybe DMC hasn't the right mindset :p? I agree that he isn't build for running non stop, but i'm pretty sure, that it doesn't need to look like what we saw in this game.
Illness or another power struggle - this time between GM, Advisor, Owner, Coach and the franchise player and once in a decade center? Concerning to say the least.

As always our offense was too turnover prone, but not really the problem (still there was way less pick&roll and way more ISO - clearly a step back). We scored enough. But you won't win games with defense like this. What's concerning is, that our D was set most of the time and still the Nets scored at will.
That's exactly what I was seeing and we had Rudy Gay play the role of Isaiah Thomas

This Jet has almost reached the crater. Way to save the team from moving only to destroy the team from within ! This will not end well. Not hiring a decent coach after firing a good coach is the same as raising the White Flag. I am disgusted and appalled by the fact that the Front Office has gutted this franchise after they had started off so well. Ego's and Hubris have destroyed what may have been special. But we will never know because just as the flame of hope arose in the fan base, PDA squatted and peed on it, snuffing out all hope for who knows how long. I'll be checking box scores for now on. Signing off...

This Jet has almost reached the crater. Way to save the team from moving only to destroy the team from within ! This will not end well. Not hiring a decent coach after firing a good coach is the same as raising the White Flag. I am disgusted and appalled by the fact that the Front Office has gutted this franchise after they had started off so well. Ego's and Hubris have destroyed what may have been special. But we will never know because just as the flame of hope arose in the fan base, PDA squatted and peed on it, snuffing out all hope for who knows how long. I'll be checking box scores for now on. Signing off...
I'm with you.
I won't buy another ticket. Sign Karl and things might change.

Thank God! I am not alone.

I did not agree with the Malone firing either. However, it has happened and Corbin is now the coach. I do not see how becoming very angry, hurling insults at PDA and Vivek (who's good far exceeds any mistakes he may have made) or otherwise seething with resentment helps anything. It does not help the enjoyment of the sport and it certainly does not help a team win games.

It will be at least 1 year before we know the ramifications of Malone's firing as it takes time to learn a new system/style of play. Right now, all that can be said is the the FO was not satisfied with having an "adequate" coach. They are looking for a "great" coach and are willing to take risks even if that means hurting some feelings along the way.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
One year?!
Mein gott.

Vivek's words indicated releasing Malone now would result in wins this year. He needs to be held accountable.

I'm in the middle of an orchard and am getting Internet because the wind is blowing, else I'd say more.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Thank God! I am not alone.

I did not agree with the Malone firing either. However, it has happened and Corbin is now the coach. I do not see how becoming very angry, hurling insults at PDA and Vivek (who's good far exceeds any mistakes he may have made) or otherwise seething with resentment helps anything. It does not help the enjoyment of the sport and it certainly does not help a team win games.

It will be at least 1 year before we know the ramifications of Malone's firing as it takes time to learn a new system/style of play. Right now, all that can be said is the the FO was not satisfied with having an "adequate" coach. They are looking for a "great" coach and are willing to take risks even if that means hurting some feelings along the way.
So when you're a loyal customer who frequents other businesses and they turn their product upside down, you don't get an opinion on it? When a business relies on your money and you support as a customer and consumer of their product or service, and they turn that product or service on its head, as a consumer or customer you're supposed to just say hey, it's fine, who cares if some feelings get hurt?

No, that's not the way the world works. As a consumer/customer of a business you get three options when the product turns horrible.

1) Sit by and continue to support the failing product, which many times is a waste of both money and time but hey, it's your money and time and you can waste it if you like. Many won't. Whether in food service, dealing with appliances or buying a car, you generally try to go where you're assured your money and time is the surest investment.

2) Complain. Let your feelings be known. Let the business know you're unhappy as a consumer or customer of their product and you'll be taking your business elsewhere if the situation isn't fixed.

3) Take you business elsewhere. Flat out move on. We see this regularly when bad businesses go under and lose their support base. In a customer based business reliant on paying consumers, the only thing that matters is is the consumer happy with the product or not. Whether or not the owner of that business felt satisfied with his product or not and decided to put out a worse one in the opinion of most of his customer base means nothing. When I go buy a microwave or a sandwich or a car, the feelings of the owner do not come into play. What does is making sure my money is well spent and is a safe investment.

What you fail to grasp is that people are angry and are still talking about, which is better than the alternative. The alternative and next step is just not caring, it's apathy, it's saying this isn't worth my time or attention. In life, that's when businesses fail. An angry support base is still a support base. You seem confused about the way the business world operates. It's not the customers responsibility to sit back and accept a poor product for a year or more. It's the responsibility of the business to produce a product that is better than the competitors. It's capitalism. If you produce a poor product in a competitive environment, your customers will look elsewhere. Shifting the responsibility of a poor business onto the shoulders of the customer for not blindly supporting that product simply isn't reality in the world we live in. Blockbuster could blame Netflix and the average movie renting consumer for taking their business elsewhere, but in the end it doesn't matter, they went bankrupt. They didn't provide the service their customer base wanted.

If you have no standards and just throw away your money and time no matter the quality of product, that's your choice. However, to be surprised most won't do the same simply ignores the way the world works. Many do have standards. Many do have expectations.

How many times have the Kings kept an opponent under 100 points since they canned Malone?
Now it is obvious that Malone made a lot of progress on the defensive end, that no one else has been able to do in recent memory.
I find the Kings hard to watch now for a whole half. We know what they are capable of defensively. We rarely see it.

Sadly, I was at this game...it was even worse live as it was on TV, you could really see it in the team's body language (and Boogie screaming at Stauskas after he missed a wild pass). They never got into their offense, played lottery-era Kings defense, and I nearly walked out at the end of the first half. Blech.

Side note: Arco truly has the best layout out of any arena I've attended (please correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't been to every single venue). This "new era" of giant lower levels in new NBA arenas, pushing upper decks further back and higher up from the court, makes lower-level seats a necessity but not anything near the value, intimacy nor experience that you get at Arco...and the upper deck? Well, better off staying at home. Enjoy the stacked layout of Arco while you can, I miss that arena!

So when you're a loyal customer who frequents other businesses and they turn their product upside down, you don't get an opinion on it? When a business relies on your money and you support as a customer and consumer of their product or service, and they turn that product or service on its head, as a consumer or customer you're supposed to just say hey, it's fine, who cares if some feelings get hurt?

No, that's not the way the world works. As a consumer/customer of a business you get three options when the product turns horrible.

1) Sit by and continue to support the failing product, which many times is a waste of both money and time but hey, it's your money and time and you can waste it if you like. Many won't. Whether in food service, dealing with appliances or buying a car, you generally try to go where you're assured your money and time is the surest investment.

2) Complain. Let your feelings be known. Let the business know you're unhappy as a consumer or customer of their product and you'll be taking your business elsewhere if the situation isn't fixed.

3) Take you business elsewhere. Flat out move on. We see this regularly when bad businesses go under and lose their support base. In a customer based business reliant on paying consumers, the only thing that matters is is the consumer happy with the product or not. Whether or not the owner of that business felt satisfied with his product or not and decided to put out a worse one in the opinion of most of his customer base means nothing. When I go buy a microwave or a sandwich or a car, the feelings of the owner do not come into play. What does is making sure my money is well spent and is a safe investment.

What you fail to grasp is that people are angry and are still talking about, which is better than the alternative. The alternative and next step is just not caring, it's apathy, it's saying this isn't worth my time or attention. In life, that's when businesses fail. An angry support base is still a support base. You seem confused about the way the business world operates. It's not the customers responsibility to sit back and accept a poor product for a year or more. It's the responsibility of the business to produce a product that is better than the competitors. It's capitalism. If you produce a poor product in a competitive environment, your customers will look elsewhere. Shifting the responsibility of a poor business onto the shoulders of the customer for not blindly supporting that product simply isn't reality in the world we live in. Blockbuster could blame Netflix and the average movie renting consumer for taking their business elsewhere, but in the end it doesn't matter, they went bankrupt. They didn't provide the service their customer base wanted.

If you have no standards and just throw away your money and time no matter the quality of product, that's your choice. However, to be surprised most won't do the same simply ignores the way the world works. Many do have standards. Many do have expectations.
2 things are apparent from your post:

1) You have decided that this move is a "failure" before even giving it a chance.

2) Vivek and PDA have higher standards for the product than you. They demand better than a coach who delivers a 28 win season and blown 20 point leads.

The Netflix example is ironic. They changed the industry by taking a risk and doing something completetly different with wild success.

I am not trying to start a fight with you or anyone else. I am simply offering another perspective.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The top four teams in terms of pace last season were Philadelphia, the Lakers, Denver and Minnesota. The Spurs and the Kings played at nearly the same pace LAST year. The Warriors are the top team in terms of pace this season but they also lead the league in effective FG%. The Kings are 19th.

Right now I don't see how they even get back to being as good as they were under Malone. And even if they do, how many games will they have lost trying to get back to a level that they were already at. That's throwing away a season for what? A different style of play? Why on earth would you not wait until the offseason?

Everyone who is preaching patience and faith in the front office is essentially saying "there MUST be a plan". That's a leap of faith I don't have in me as a fan right now. Right now I see a worse team, playing worse defense and trying to push the pace with a roster whose best players operate best in the half court and whose franchise player is looking completely frustrated and disheartened. If the team is so confident in their plan then why haven't we heard a peep out of D'Alessandro as the fans continue to complain?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 things are apparent from your post:

1) You have decided that this move is a "failure" before even giving it a chance.

2) Vivek and PDA have higher standards for the product than you. They demand better than a coach who delivers a 28 win season and blown 20 point leads.
Do you think the Kings are better with Tyrone Corbin at the helm than Malone? Do you believe that Malone was such a poor coach that merely removing him will improve the team?

15 games in the Kings were on pace to win 49 games. At the time of Malone's firing (when DMC had missed 9 straight games with viral meningitis) the team was still on pace to win 38 games an improvement of 10 games over last year. Both of those despite the Kings having one of the most difficult schedules in the league to start the season.

Would you be willing to wager that if Corbin stays the Kings win 39 games or more?

If not, then why on earth would the Kings fire Malone midseason without the right replacement in place?

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Kupman:

How much longer before you deem something a success? The right move will show instant improvement. Karl, for example, has a history of quick turnarounds. This is not an example of growing pains. There's no growth. Why don't you show me the growth? Are we taking better shots? Are the possessions, pace-adjusted, any better? How about that defense?

Businesses go under in the blink of an eye. Vivek knows this. That's why you have to be "two steps ahead". Plans like these require a quick resolution. Twisting in the wind is bad for business, and that's what we're seeing.

This is not a transition; it's a regression. It's players yelling at each other. It's Cousins trying to be dad, since dad was kicked out. Cousins is being the leader we need him to be, not the cipher PDA wants him to be. He's doing it for the right reasons, and has my support.

You can believe that canning Malone is a move for the better, but, ironically, for those of us who believe patience was required with Malone, understand that apathy will result in a loss of Cousins, and have no patience for further foolishness.

Surprisingly, the fact that this is as united kingsfans.com has ever been should be pretty telling. It isn't even 50/50 - it's like 98/2.

There's something very Orwellian about the FO right now. I'd rather oppose the moves now, than happily hum all the way to the glue farm.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
How many times have the Kings kept an opponent under 100 points since they canned Malone?
Now it is obvious that Malone made a lot of progress on the defensive end, that no one else has been able to do in recent memory.
I find the Kings hard to watch now for a whole half. We know what they are capable of defensively. We rarely see it.
Same team and same players as before firing but now all opponents (especially those with worse records) score 100+ points, TO's are up, FT down meaning no driving to bucket. Only difference is Coach and mis-guided Owner apparently micro-managing. Maybe Kings are trying to follow Reno scheme, which doesn't work for them either. Am getting sick of this, at least out here in the desert I can bury my head in the sand until.............don't even know "until what" any more.