IT = Rumor of 3/24 offer from Pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sign-and-trade deal involving Josh Smith and Isaiah Thomas "may be in the works," according to Grantland.com.
The Pistons are believed to be interested in signing the restricted free agent while Greg Monroe reportedly wants to see Smith get traded, so it makes sense. The Smith signing did not go well and the Pistons weren't a very efficient offense while their defense wasn't great either. Smith would play a little further from the basket compared to most power forwards, which works next to DeMarcus Cousins. Although, a Smith, Cousins and Rudy Gay frontline doesn't sound great on paper. Jul 2 - 2:43 PM
Source: Grantland.com

A sign-and-trade deal involving Josh Smith and Isaiah Thomas "may be in the works," according to Grantland.com.
The Pistons are believed to be interested in signing the restricted free agent while Greg Monroe reportedly wants to see Smith get traded, so it makes sense. The Smith signing did not go well and the Pistons weren't a very efficient offense while their defense wasn't great either. Smith would play a little further from the basket compared to most power forwards, which works next to DeMarcus Cousins. Although, a Smith, Cousins and Rudy Gay frontline doesn't sound great on paper. Jul 2 - 2:43 PM
Sounds like this is more speculation than a report from a source. Still woudlnt be surprised, but not getting too carried away with this thought yet.

I can't see a Sign and Trade for IT and Josh Smith without the Kings moving either JT or Landry in the deal. The Kings won't just bring in another power forward, JSmith, without dumping a Power Forward contract or two.

The other pieces would probably involve either JT or Landry and the Kings getting back a guard, probably Brandon Jennings. To make it work cap wise for both teams, a ending contract (i.e. Jason Terry) would have to be included.

The Kings would really be high flying if that were to occur.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Analytics would hate us forever. :p

The question would really be, could you turn Josh Smith into older Kenyon Martin? In other words could you convince him to quit even trying to be aprimary offensive weapon? Because that's the key to that working. If he comes in and is ok being 14-8 with whatever shotblocking help his remaining athleticsm allows, then Cousins/Smith/Gay is still overstuffed, but with a pass first PG who never shoots...maybe.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Look at the numbers Aaron Brooks put up as a MIP. Houston fans thought he was a potential All Star too. How did that work out? Nick Young also put up big numbers in Wash. Kevin Martin....the list goes on.

Have to look beyond the numbers. IT is a starting level PG for some teams, a 6th man candidate for most.
6th man for us.

Last edited by a moderator:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Analytics would hate us forever. :p

The question would really be, could you turn Josh Smith into older Kenyon Martin? In other words could you convince him to quit even trying to be aprimary offensive weapon? Because that's the key to that working. If he comes in and is ok being 14-8 with whatever shotblocking help his remaining athleticsm allows, then Cousins/Smith/Gay is still overstuffed, but with a pass first PG who never shoots...maybe.
I think with Cuz in the fold, and maybe Gay too, Smith cold be reeled in. Excluding last years debacle in Detroit, his stats for his career have been more than solid. Yes, he an be a knucklehead at times but looking at his year by year stat line on this good ATL teams, he has been way better than anything that JT or Landry has done and he's still only 28. Lots of miles but still has some good years left.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Only thing with Smith, he is what he is. He isn't going to get better other than mentally in my opinion. He played for a one and done playoff team in Atlanta for numerous seasons and he still had the tendency to jack up threes and long two's which are the worst shots you can take. If he couldn't get his act right in Atlanta and still has this lingering issue almost ten years in the league, I just don't think this team would be the right team for him to get his head straight and play like he should and not how HE thinks he should.

Do you think that was due to Gay and Cousins getting familiar with one another or IT?
I think it was because all three of them getting familiar with each other.
why can't it be because ben mclemore and the bench sucked? like, we had ben, jimmer, thornton, outlaw, derrick williams, and quincy acy. no defense, only one good shooter, ball hogs, weak passers, and no center. yikes! it's a miracle that cousins, gay, and thomas carried this team to a near .500 record, and it speaks to how good they could be.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
why can't it be because ben mclemore and the bench sucked? like, we had ben, jimmer, thornton, outlaw, derrick williams, and quincy acy. no defense, only one good shooter, ball hogs, weak passers, and no center. yikes! it's a miracle that cousins, gay, and thomas carried this team to a near .500 record, and it speaks to how good they could be.
I'm sorry but that is not a successful big three moving forward if we have hopes and aspirations of becoming anything relevant, ever.

if I were the pistons, i would keep josh smith over monroe. smith and drummond is a hell of a lot better defensively than monroe and drummond. they should trade monroe for a perimeter star, maybe eric gordon.

Bricklayer

if I were the pistons, i would keep josh smith over monroe. smith and drummond is a hell of a lot better defensively than monroe and drummond. they should trade monroe for a perimeter star, maybe eric gordon.
Smith is also a 10 yr vet, and a smallish none too bright 10yr vet.

Oo you take the bigger younger Monroe every day and twice on Sundays. Why they haven't been able to make that work I am not sure. He has the post game Drummond lacks. Drummond has the defense he lacks. And together they dominate the glass. Would really help Monroe's career to develop a little faceup jumper however.

Smith is also a 10 yr vet, and a smallish none too bright 10yr vet.

Oo you take the bigger younger Monroe every day and twice on Sundays. Why they haven't been able to make that work I am not sure. He has the post game Drummond lacks. Drummond has the defense he lacks. And together they dominate the glass. Would really help Monroe's career to develop a little faceup jumper however.
maybe in a vacuum, but i don't think it's that clear in real life because monroe is a center, and so is drummond. josh smith is a worse rebounder than monroe, but he is a PF, can be good in post, and has the passing ability of monroe, and he also brings defense. monroe would be traded for a ~25 year old perimeter star, so age ain't that big of a concern.

Last edited:
Not sure where criticisms of Monroe come from. He's really good.

As for Josh Smith, he needs to get back to the 4. He played out of place last year. Still a really good player and he'd be a huge help for us. That said, Monroe is still better at this point in their careers.

Cuz, Smith would be a nice twosome and Gay, Nik would be a nice scoring combo. only real worries I'd have with that team is the bench and starting PG.

Bricklayer

maybe in a vacuum, but monroe is a center, and so is drummond. josh smith is a worse rebounder than monroe, but he is a PF, can be good in post, and has the passing ability of monroe, and he also provides defense. monroe would be traded for a ~25 year old perimeter star, so age ain't that big of a concern.
Twin Towers sets have a long and prominent history. Especially in today's game where basically nobody has the personnel to guard them anymore.. Monroe may be called a "center", but that's a technicality really. He's no less mobile than Dirk at this point in Dirk's career, has a pretty good handle, good passer, rebounder, post game. The only thing separating him from big PF hood is a little facing jumper.

Twin Towers sets have a long and prominent history. Especially in today's game where basically nobody has the personnel to guard them anymore.. Monroe may be called a "center", but that's a technicality really. He's no less mobile than Dirk at this point in Dirk's career, has a pretty good handle, good passer, rebounder, post game. The only thing separating him from big PF hood is a little facing jumper.
you know what, you've convinced me. obv, monroe and drummond didn't work most of the time last year because they didn't have any shooting. they had jennings, stuckey, and smith. yikes. next year, SVG will probably play more singler, meeks, caldwell-pope, and maybe Jennings has a bounce back three point year because of the other shooters.

Bricklayer

you know what, you've convinced me. obv, monroe and drummond didn't work most of the time last year because they didn't have any shooting. they had jennings, stuckey, and smith. yikes. next year, SVG will probably play more singler, meeks, caldwell-pope, and maybe a PG who can shoot.
yeah I think you can immediately see the influence of SVG in their early free agent work here. He will Orlando it all over again if he can.

If you compare them just by stats, you can argue that IT is as good a player as Kyrie Irving. They both don't play much defense and other than being bigger, I don't really see much of an advantage for Irving.

Irving just got a max deal and I'm not surprised IT is getting a lot of interest. I think Kyrie is overrated, but thats another story.

With no better options, IT at $6-7 million is the best way to go. With the current FA class, I don't really see us finding a better replacement. Unless he secretly changed his mind, Rondo doesn't want to play in Sac. There is no point to beg someone to like you and play for you. His negative attitude towards Sacramento is not worth it.

Should've locked IT up for lower rates earlier.

From Sam Amick USAT:

"With Lowry off the market, the best available point guards are restricted free agents Eric Bledsoe, who almost surely will stay with the Phoenix Suns, and Isaiah Thomas of the Sacramento Kings."

Ka Ching $$$$$$$$$$$

From Sam Amick USAT:

"With Lowry off the market, the best available point guards are restricted free agents Eric Bledsoe, who almost surely will stay with the Phoenix Suns, and Isaiah Thomas of the Sacramento Kings."

Ka Ching $$$$$$$$$$$
I know I'm turning into a broken record with this but who is left that has money and wants/needs to sign a PG like IT?

Not a big list.

Status
Not open for further replies.