IT = Rumor of 3/24 offer from Pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually describing IT, calling IT a one trick pony is laughable no matter how much you hate the guy. I agree Meeks on paper would seem like a pure spot shooter, but watching him last season his off the dribble stuff was much improved and he's the only Laker I saw that gave it 100% night in night out, and clearly had improved his game from previous years. I would say Detroit overpaid slightly, I see him more as a $3-$4 million per year player. However in a league where dribble penetration and 3 point shooting are of high value, Meeks was amongst the best spot shooters on the market.

Thats the one thing people overlook about IT, he has proven he can get around his man and get in the lane against practically every guard in the league(Paul, Westrbrook, Rondo etc. couldn't contain him). If we can get actual good shooters around Cousins/Gay/IT(not Ben McLemore or Marcus Thornton), we could really see team play improve.
Especially if IT comes off the bench as the 6th man.

His one dimension is very very good too, btw. 5.2 3pt attempts at 40%. That's pretty elite.
But the rest of his career he's at around 36/37%. Good but not elite.

Not in huge disagreement. I'm just wary of guys playing beyond their norms in free agent years, especially when they play in stat inflating systems.

But the rest of his career he's at around 36/37%. Good but not elite.
He'll get better looks in DET than he did in LA. Whatever, I like this move by SVG. That team needed/needs shooting in the worst way. They got one of the best shooters in FA that can also defend, and is entering the prime of his career.

Cracks me up how every FA season fans cry "too much!". Meeks was high on my list, even with two young SG's.

Like you said, he actually does a lot more than just spot up and shoot 3's. D'Ant also played him on defense against 1's last season. He's worth it, imo.

FA is all about overspending. Teams sometimes get good deals on their own players...ie GSW signed Curry to 11/44 a couple season ago, and some thought it was too much then.

Salary cap keeps going up up up.
This is what people are missing. Salary cap is $63MM next season and gonna keep going up.

Elite players cost you 18-20, second tier stars are $11-15. Winning formula is $30-40mm in your top 2 guys, $20-25mm for the next 3 guys (read: $6-10mm a piece) and then you fill out your last three spots with rookie contracts and cheap vets / role players.

I understand people not liking IT, but he clearly falls in the middle category: not a marquee player, but a very good one (with weaknesses) that fits in the $6-10mm range. Whether you like him as a long term fit is one thing, but there is no doubt that $8mm is fair for him.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
All around great scorer, elite penetrator(we have no other one in our roster in a league that stresses dribble penetration and 3 point shooting, i.e Spurs, Heat) , solid spot shooter, leadership and intangibles, work ethic, home grown, hardly a "one trick pony".
You can try to disguise it any way you please, the truth is he is a scorer and that's fine. He is good at doing so. However, you don't go and over spend for one like that, it doesn't help that he is 5'9..if that is even his true height. His value is obviously inflated due to the new CBA where teams will over pay for talent because teams throw out offers and that dictates his value more than what it really should be.

This is what people are missing. Salary cap is $63MM next season and gonna keep going up.

Elite players cost you 18-20, second tier stars are $11-15. Winning formula is $30-40mm in your top 2 guys, $20-25mm for the next 3 guys (read: $6-10mm a piece) and then you fill out your last three spots with rookie contracts and cheap vets / role players.

I understand people not liking IT, but he clearly falls in the middle category: not a marquee player, but a very good one (with weaknesses) that fits in the $6-10mm range. Whether you like him as a long term fit is one thing, but there is no doubt that $8mm is fair for him.
True. If the Kings can get Rudy to sign an extension in the $15-16 range, then the Kings will be on the low end of that equation. Problem is, the big boys haven't gotten paid yet this FA and Rudy's agent is going to at least put him in a tier just below LBJ and Melo. Just like he did for his other contract...scary, but true.

You can try to disguise it any way you please, the truth is he is a scorer and that's fine. He is good at doing so. However, you don't go and over spend for one like that, it doesn't help that he is 5'9..if that is even his true height. He obviously is a part of the new CBA where teams will over pay for talent because teams throw out offers and that dictates his value more than what it really should be.
I think the biggest issue for the Kings is they don't really like IT's game overall as far as their concepts go, but it will be hard to pass up what he brings. He's pretty rare, especially how well he plays in the 4th Q.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think the biggest issue for the Kings is they don't really like IT's game overall as far as their concepts go, but it will be hard to pass up what he brings. He's pretty rare, especially how well he plays in the 4th Q.
There is no question he is a talent, and we are short of it. What I am hoping we don't fall a victim of is the infatuation of an undersized chucking guard, if you want to bring him back as a 6th man, which I believe is the main goal here, then bring him back for 5-6 mil. otherwise let other teams nab him away, we won't really miss a beat because we lack so many other things too that one doesn't out weight the other.

My only hesitation with letting IT go is he is a great 4th Q player. I love him off the bench, which I would pay $8million since he can start too. But I don't think IT wants anything to do with being a 6th man, even though he'll finish games. Some other team will promise starting role. Kings will have to match a salary and a position if the want to keep him.

My only hesitation with letting IT go is he is a great 4th Q player. I love him off the bench, which I would pay $8million since he can start too. But I don't think IT wants anything to do with being a 6th man, even though he'll finish games. Some other team will promise starting role. Kings will have to match a salary and a position if the want to keep him.
We only have to match a salary

We can then Play him as a starter
Trade JT for a new Starter
Play him as a reserve
or trade him to a team that will give us a defensive Big

You can try to disguise it any way you please, the truth is he is a scorer and that's fine. He is good at doing so. However, you don't go and over spend for one like that, it doesn't help that he is 5'9..if that is even his true height. His value is obviously inflated due to the new CBA where teams will over pay for talent because teams throw out offers and that dictates his value more than what it really should be.
You can disagree with IT for his money and fit, but this kinda crap pisses me off. You can easily look up his measurements. In 2011 he had 3 official measurements and he was 5'9" without shoes and between 5'10"-5'11" with shoes (which is how everyone lists heights). If you want to disagree with these numbers, you also have to remove the combine as a reputable source of all measurements. Otherwise, your flippant remarks just make you look ignorant.

Great in the 4th quarter? I remember a huge amount of crucial, unnecessary TOs by him in 4th quarters. I'm not saying he can't score in clutch situations, he's already demonstrated the ability to do so. But ideally you have him in there with another guard who can take care of the ball, because IT is way too loose with it.

Great in the 4th quarter? I remember a huge amount of crucial, unnecessary TOs by him in 4th quarters. I'm not saying he can't score in clutch situations, he's already demonstrated the ability to do so. But ideally you have him in there with another guard who can take care of the ball, because IT is way too loose with it.
I don't disagree, but his positives (fearless, clutch) makes him a rare commodity when it comes to the 4th Q. Most players fade...

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You can disagree with IT for his money and fit, but this kinda crap pisses me off. You can easily look up his measurements. In 2011 he had 3 official measurements and he was 5'9" without shoes and between 5'10"-5'11" with shoes (which is how everyone lists heights). If you want to disagree with these numbers, you also have to remove the combine as a reputable source of all measurements. Otherwise, your flippant remarks just make you look ignorant.
So you don't believe height is his issue then?

Excuse me, but not all listed him at 5' 9".

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre...011&source=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

Isaiah Thomas:
Height without shoes: 5' 8.75"
Height with Shoes: 5' 10.25"

i doubt anyone else even offers him that much besides Detroit, they were just drunk dialing all the free agent guards last night i think. Look what they gave Jodie Meeks o_O
I would like to see Detroit make their offer official or on paper before I even believe this 3/24 or 8m/year.

These are unconfirmed rumors. The rumor might have come from the IT camp. Maybe Detroit called and was told the asking price of IT was 8M/year. And now, someone makes it look like Detroit offered 8m/year. So, let's see what the official offer will be.

Anyways, I will be happy for IT the offer becomes official. But more so over, I will be very happy for the Kings because it is more likely they will not match the offer. This will mean no more defensive mismatch on the backcourt, less me-first players, and there will be no possibility of IT freezing Stauskas on offense or whomever we get to improve our offense.

Last edited:
Exactly. Everyone else's listed height is their height in shoes. Why is it different for IT?
It's a fallacy of extremes. Exaggeration. They latch on to the shortest guys shortest possible measurement, but for the taller guys they'll go with the in shoes measurement and also round up.

Thankfully the game isn't played standing still and on paper

Based on what exactly? That he can score 20ppg?
Did you see the games where Isaiah was hurt last year? Offense was completely stagnant and consisted of only Cousins or Gay isolations, no player or ball movement and opposing PG's pretty much had a day off on defense, no dribble penetration to worry about. People want a defensive pass first PG but don't think about the consequences of that. Letting guys like Parker, Curry, Westbrook, Conley, Dragic, Bledsoe etc. have plays off on defense because they can just sag off or not worry too much about the other guy means they can expend all their energy on the offensive end. NO player in the league will shut guys like that down with the way the game is called these days, what we need is a rim protector and an overall emphasis to defend from EVERYBODY on the team 1 through 5. Without Duncan and Splitter Parker is viewed a poor defender, without Bogut and O'neal Curry is viewed as a poor defender, Westbrook has Ibaka to intimidate, Conley has Gasol. We have Cousins and JT to go along with overall poor team defense, HUGE difference.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If Kyrie Irving can get a max $18 million a season contract, it is a joke that we are arguing whether IT is worth $7 or $8 million, let alone for a small market team like us that will NEVER sign a free agent as talented as IT.
To be fair, Cleveland has been run by crazy people for the past ten years

To be fair, Cleveland has been run by crazy people for the past ten years
Oh I agree, that franchise is a joke but someone else would have paid that much too due to him being a #1 pick, all star appearances, and the overall marketing behind him. If IT was 4 inches taller he would easily be in the $10-$12 range, if he played in a big market that would push him to the $13-$14 range based on performance and potential. We should feel lucky if we can retain him for $6-$7 million imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.