IT = Rumor of 3/24 offer from Pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Bs. Not sure what games it fans were watching last year but as someone who graded him on multiple occasions, this effort myth has to end. He was frequently the first guy to quit on a play, lazily rotate and then watch as the defense collapsed.
Agreed....this whole FA process with IT is just reinforcing that I wish the Kings would have drafted Payton and then tried to sign a cheaper FA SG. It wouldn't be ideal going into the season with a rookie(Payton) or a 2nd year guy(Ray) but I like both guys. I think Payton can match what MCW did last year and Ray is capable of running a team and putting up numbers. With our cap where it is.....it feels like we are going to get cornered with the IT free agency and there is no way he is worth $8mill per year.....can he put up good offensive numbers? Yes...it's why most want him to be a 6th man. Is he a capable defender? No, he's a liability and that is why he's not worth that type of salary for us.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Semi-related note since IT is linked with Detroit:

How much cap space do Detroit even have? That is a ridiculous contract btw, Meeks is definitely not worth that. They're going to regret that.
Wow.....was not expecting him to get that amount...then again, front offices just can't help themselves it appears.

Semi-related note since IT is linked with Detroit:

How much cap space do Detroit even have? That is a ridiculous contract btw, Meeks is definitely not worth that. They're going to regret that.
Thought they had around $20m.

Also signed Cartier Martin.
Yeah, I think $20 million looks right, but Monroe also has a $10 million cap hold. So, subtract out Meeks and I'm not sure they can offer IT anything significant until Monroe is taken care of.

Assuming the Kings do let IT walk or move him in a sign-and-trade, I do wonder who will be the obect of Kings' fans wrath next year? That's just how it works with fans of bad teams. Somebody has to take all of the blame and there is usually a "golden boy" and a "whipping boy". If IT is gone next year somebody has to take that responsibility...lol

No doubt Isaiah has his flaws and limitations but it is pretty astounding how much hate he gets considering he has improved every year, he was the last pick of the draft, he works extremely hard, and he's mostly overcome his lack of height and succeeded at the highest level.

I don't like his skillset as a PG because shoot-first "combo guards" who don't play much defense and don't make their teammates better are a dime-a-dozen in the NBA.......but most of those guys were drafted much higher than IT and they also stand much taller. He does deserve some credit for doing so with less and none of the experts predicted him to do so. He's not the right fit (as a starter) for this team going forward but he doesn't deserve the amount of negativity that surrounds him.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It's not about what you believe he is worth. It's about getting the maximum value for him if you don't want him. If there is a cluster of market value around $8 mill, they should sign him to $8 mill, even though with all their wisdom they believe he is not worth what the market is telling them. Then they can trade him for value at $8 mill down the line. If, however, there is a Tyreke situation and there is an outlier that wants to pay him $9 mill whereas the cluster of teams is at $8 mill, then they're screwed, just like with Tyreke.
That's not even remotely true though. IT is getting interest at $8 million per this summer, that's no guarantee he'll be trade-able at that amount next season or the season after. What if his stats decline next season? What if he gets injured? What if Boston and Detroit settle their PG needs elsewhere and nobody else is in the market for a scoring guard? Overpaying a guy with the intention of possibly trading him down the line is almost never going to work out. You look at the season IT just had and his age and his value right now is probably the highest it will ever be. In the poll I voted for $4 million per because at that amount he is either a bit of a bargain as a top 6th man or a player you should be able to trade down the line to fill a different roster need. I also think he's a poor fit so it had better be a bargain for me to consider keeping him mainly as a trade asset. At twice that amount you'd better be comfortable with him as your starter because you could easily be stuck with him like it or not.

That's not even remotely true though. IT is getting interest at $8 million per this summer, that's no guarantee he'll be trade-able at that amount next season or the season after. What if his stats decline next season? What if he gets injured? What if Boston and Detroit settle their PG needs elsewhere and nobody else is in the market for a scoring guard? Overpaying a guy with the intention of possibly trading him down the line is almost never going to work out. You look at the season IT just had and his age and his value right now is probably the highest it will ever be. In the poll I voted for $4 million per because at that amount he is either a bit of a bargain as a top 6th man or a player you should be able to trade down the line to fill a different roster need. I also think he's a poor fit so it had better be a bargain for me to consider keeping him mainly as a trade asset. At twice that amount you'd better be comfortable with him as your starter because you could easily be stuck with him like it or not.
You can say the "decline" thing about literally any player in the league.

Expecting Thomas to sign at $4mm is as realistic as expecting Lebron to come to Sacramento. And no, I'm not being sarcastic. Here's guys in the 4-5mm range:

http://espn.go.com/nba/salaries/_/page/4
http://espn.go.com/nba/salaries/_/page/5

Guys in that range include Brad Miller, Elton Brand, Darius Songaila, and Jared Dudley. Guys who are either 8th-10th guy in the rotation or in their late 30s and on the last contract. Be a little more realistic

That "negligible value" turned into Rudy Gay though. Ultimately after all of the dominoes fell and several pieces were moved, Tyreke was let go in favor of Rudy Gay. They don't get Rudy Gay from Toronto without Vasquez.

So sometimes these "negligible value" sign-and-trades lead to much bigger things.

Best case scenario with Thomas is that Boston really wants him and that he wants to go there. If the Kings could manage to pull off an IT/Ben for Rajon Rondo + Filler deal that would be great. Then just have to pray that Rondo stays healthy.
Don't want to pray that way. Let's leave Rondo to make or break somebody else's team.

If we could S&T IT and Terry for Rondo, then swing Landry and Outlaw for for Sanders we could go into this season looking like this.

PG: Rondo/Stuaskas/Ray
SG: Ben/Stauskas/Ray
SF: Gay/Williams/Acy
PF: Sanders/JT/Evans/Acy
C: Cousins/JT

Assuming Boston wants IT and wants to dump Rondo, we give them the player they want and Cap relief.

With Milwaukee, you rid them of a large contract give them a post scorer and salary relief.

I think, these are win wins.

If we could S&T IT and Terry for Rondo, then swing Landry and Outlaw for for Sanders we could go into this season looking like this.

Assuming Boston wants IT and wants to dump Rondo, we give them the player they want and Cap relief.

With Milwaukee, you rid them of a large contract give them a post scorer and salary relief.

comical roster. plsying Cs at PF, PFs at center, PFs at SF, SGs at PG, scrubs as starters. this roster has it all.

I agree except that Stauskas jumps ahead of Ray in the pg rotation. I don't include ANY of our youngsters in a deal for a injury risk/expiring Rondo. Boston has no cap space and can't back us into a corner regarding IT if they are truly interested.

comical roster. plsying Cs at PF, PFs at center, PFs at SF, SGs at PG, scrubs as starters. this roster has it all.
What in the world are you talking about?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Jodie Meeks got paid! wow...that is exactly what I am afraid of, hopefully we don't do the same for a player that is a one trick pony.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
You can say the "decline" thing about literally any player in the league.

Expecting Thomas to sign at $4mm is as realistic as expecting Lebron to come to Sacramento. And no, I'm not being sarcastic. Here's guys in the 4-5mm range:

http://espn.go.com/nba/salaries/_/page/4
http://espn.go.com/nba/salaries/_/page/5

Guys in that range include Brad Miller, Elton Brand, Darius Songaila, and Jared Dudley. Guys who are either 8th-10th guy in the rotation or in their late 30s and on the last contract. Be a little more realistic
Which is fine. I don't want IT back.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Assuming the Kings do let IT walk or move him in a sign-and-trade, I do wonder who will be the obect of Kings' fans wrath next year? That's just how it works with fans of bad teams. Somebody has to take all of the blame and there is usually a "golden boy" and a "whipping boy". If IT is gone next year somebody has to take that responsibility...lol

No doubt Isaiah has his flaws and limitations but it is pretty astounding how much hate he gets considering he has improved every year, he was the last pick of the draft, he works extremely hard, and he's mostly overcome his lack of height and succeeded at the highest level.

I don't like his skillset as a PG because shoot-first "combo guards" who don't play much defense and don't make their teammates better are a dime-a-dozen in the NBA.......but most of those guys were drafted much higher than IT and they also stand much taller. He does deserve some credit for doing so with less and none of the experts predicted him to do so. He's not the right fit (as a starter) for this team going forward but he doesn't deserve the amount of negativity that surrounds him.
I think it is funny that you start with the "hate" comment (which is definitely overblown with IT - very few don't like him, most just don't want to pay him more than MLE± and like him as a super 6th man), and then you proceed to agree with the shortcomings some use to say his fit as a starter on this team is not feasible.

So are you a "hater" too??? ;)

Jodie Meeks got paid! wow...that is exactly what I am afraid of, hopefully we don't do the same for a player that is a one trick pony.
All around great scorer, elite penetrator(we have no other one in our roster in a league that stresses dribble penetration and 3 point shooting, i.e Spurs, Heat) , solid spot shooter, leadership and intangibles, work ethic, home grown, hardly a "one trick pony".

All around great scorer, elite penetrator(we have no other one in our roster in a league that stresses dribble penetration and 3 point shooting, i.e Spurs, Heat) , solid spot shooter, leadership and intangibles, work ethic, home grown, hardly a "one trick pony".
Cracks me up how every FA season fans cry "too much!". Meeks was high on my list, even with two young SG's.

Like you said, he actually does a lot more than just spot up and shoot 3's. D'Ant also played him on defense against 1's last season. He's worth it, imo.

FA is all about overspending. Teams sometimes get good deals on their own players...ie GSW signed Curry to 11/44 a couple season ago, and some thought it was too much then.

Salary cap keeps going up up up.

He's a shooter, nothing more. You don't get paid for being home grown. 6 mil per is going to come back and bite them in the ass. Someone who puts up 2.5 boards and under 2 assists in 33 minutes is absolutely one dimensional.

edit: sorry jamal, I misread your post. Thought you were talking about Meeks.

Cracks me up how every FA season fans cry "too much!". Meeks was high on my list, even with two young SG's.

Like you said, he actually does a lot more than just spot up and shoot 3's. D'Ant also played him on defense against 1's last season. He's worth it, imo.

FA is all about overspending. Teams sometimes get good deals on their own players...ie GSW signed Curry to 11/44 a couple season ago, and some thought it was too much then.

Salary cap keeps going up up up.
I was actually describing IT, calling IT a one trick pony is laughable no matter how much you hate the guy. I agree Meeks on paper would seem like a pure spot shooter, but watching him last season his off the dribble stuff was much improved and he's the only Laker I saw that gave it 100% night in night out, and clearly had improved his game from previous years. I would say Detroit overpaid slightly, I see him more as a $3-$4 million per year player. However in a league where dribble penetration and 3 point shooting are of high value, Meeks was amongst the best spot shooters on the market.

Thats the one thing people overlook about IT, he has proven he can get around his man and get in the lane against practically every guard in the league(Paul, Westrbrook, Rondo etc. couldn't contain him). If we can get actual good shooters around Cousins/Gay/IT(not Ben McLemore or Marcus Thornton), we could really see team play improve.

He's a shooter, nothing more. You don't get paid for being home grown. 6 mil per is going to come back and bite them in the ass. Someone who puts up 2.5 boards and under 2 assists in 33 minutes is absolutely one dimensional.
1.4 steals and a good on-ball defender...that is what you consider "one dimensional"? And with Detroit's frontline, with Drummond as the anchor, I think they targeted Meeks because he can defend on the perimeter, at least to the point where Drummond comes into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.