The Official NBA Draft Day Thread 2014 Edition

During the offseason, I've...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look what 10 get for sliding to 12.
a 2017 first round pick? Really? You'd be excited about that? Maybe in 3 years and then you have to hope it's not a top 11 pick. Oh, they got a 2015 2nd round pick, too. Yippee.

Trades like that rarely net anything of immediate value unless the other team is shedding salary.

That's not how smart NBA teams draft. That's how smart NFL teams draft. Stauskas was going to be gone in the next couple picks. No way he'd slide anywhere from 12-16. McDermott went #11 and I think that pick would have been Stauskas if he hadn't been there.

As I said, If you LOVE a player like the Kings seemed to love Nik, you take him. Don't mess around. Don't chance it. Take your guy. If there's a player that you like but there's also some others that you like, sure...go for it. drop down. Get your 2nd round pick.

But since you know more than I do, what do you think the Kings would have gotten for moving down to the 12th pick? I say it'd be likely a no-upside veteran bench player and a mid-late 2nd round pick that won't make the team. That'd be complete idiocy. As I said, debate the player they took, but you can not run a draft like that and expect to succeed.

Now, if the Kings had went hard after the Bulls' two picks, maybe I wouldn't argue with you on this. It'd be a much bigger reward.
You can go take a look at some of the deals that were made these last couple days and gauge for yourself what they could have gotten.

a 2017 first round pick? Really? You'd be excited about that? Maybe in 3 years and then you have to hope it's not a top 11 pick. Oh, they got a 2015 2nd round pick, too. Yippee.

Trades like that rarely net anything of immediate value unless the other team is shedding salary.
First, they would have been jumping up to 8 not 10. Plus, if my guy was going to be there (big if), you bet I'd take another 1st plus a 2nd.

Going to be some decent undrafted FA's. I'd guess PDA decided not to use another 2nd rounder to move into this years 2nd. Kings need to take a break from trading the 2nd rounders for a year, let them breathe.

Ejim and Kane might not get drafted. I think PDA likes Kane.

I'm not going to fault PDa for that. Hastily closing out trades for the sake of closing out trades is what leads to Kenny Thomas taking up space on your bench for half a decade. And we don't really know what was being offered in those scenarios.
As opposed to the brilliant methodical mind that brought you Carl Landry taking up space on your bench for almost half a decade.

That's not how smart NBA teams draft. That's how smart NFL teams draft. Stauskas was going to be gone in the next couple picks. No way he'd slide anywhere from 12-16. McDermott went #11 and I think that pick would have been Stauskas if he hadn't been there.

As I said, If you LOVE a player like the Kings seemed to love Nik, you take him. Don't mess around. Don't chance it. Take your guy. If there's a player that you like but there's also some others that you like, sure...go for it. drop down. Get your 2nd round pick.

But since you know more than I do, what do you think the Kings would have gotten for moving down to the 12th pick? I say it'd be likely a no-upside veteran bench player and a mid-late 2nd round pick that won't make the team. That'd be complete idiocy. As I said, debate the player they took, but you can not run a draft like that and expect to succeed.

Now, if the Kings had went hard after the Bulls' two picks, maybe I wouldn't argue with you on this. It'd be a much bigger reward.
Going after the Bulls picks flies completely in the face of your logic that you dont pass on players you love, so im confused

Going after the Bulls picks flies completely in the face of your logic that you dont pass on players you love, so im confused
I should have added that you'd have to be overwhelmed by the offer. the 16th and 19th picks could have netted us two starters. I'm not sure if the Bulls called the Kings, but I would have definitely been interested. Big risk, though. We could have ended up getting two players we didn't really care for instead of the one we did.

Some early grades. Of course, it's tough to really grade players who have never played, but this gives everyone an idea of a wider perspective (that seems to match the fan's bewilderment).

8. Nik Stauskas | 6-6 | 207 | SG | Michigan | 20
The Kings are a team with a ton of talent but are quite possibly the most dysfunctional group in the NBA. With guys like Noah Vonleh still on the board, this pick is a head scratcher. Stauskas had a great combine and really showed scouts and GMs that he's more than just a jump shooter. He's a better athlete that most thought and is a better all-around offensive player than most give him credit for. The issue here is that the team just drafted Ben McLemore a season ago and not to mention they owe Rudy Gay roughly $20 million next season. They have more glaring needs at the PF spot so this pick might be on the move with other teams in the late lottery showing interest in the forward from Michigan. -Clayton Crowe
-NBADraft.net

Nik Stauskas | SG, MichiganHeight: 6-6 Weight: 205Better talent here. Stauskas is slow to move and could struggle with the ball. Could have found another shooter.
Grade: D+
-CBSSports

8. Sacramento Kings: SG Nik Stauskas, Michigan

Aaron Gordon was a reach at No. 4, but this one is a true head-scratcher. Stauskas is a fine player, probably the best shooter available in the draft. But the Kings drafted Ben McLemore, who has more upside and talent, seventh overall. And he, too, was a sharpshooting guard who probably can’t play any other position. This pick simply doesn’t make sense, especially with Indiana power forward Noah Vonleh on the board. Power forward was a bigger need for the Kings, and Vonleh was rated as high as fourth on some draft boards. Sacramento discussed trading down, and they might have been able to do that and still land Stauskas or a similar-level player. Stauskas can score, but the Kings have scorers. Stauskas can shoot, but the Kings have a shooting guard of the future. Grade: D

-USA Today

Listening to the press conference drives me nuts. It's literally the same nonsense as last year except with some ridiculous statements thrown in.

Some high/lowlights:
1. We really tried to get extra picks in the 1st and 2nd. 2 straight drafts where we claim that but couldn't. Why do so many other teams manage to do it.
2. Considered trading UP to get Nik? WTF?
3. Playing Ben and Nik together and having Ben guard 1's
4. Weren't willing to trade 8 even for other pieces since they wanted Nik.
5. Be strong with IT in FA to fill the PG role.

Some early grades. Of course, it's tough to really grade players who have never played, but this gives everyone an idea of a wider perspective (that seems to match the fan's bewilderment).

-NBADraft.net

-CBSSports
I don't agree with CBS. I think he is actually pretty quick with pretty good athleticism. I think he is above average handling the ball for a SG.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Listening to the press conference drives me nuts. It's literally the same nonsense as last year except with some ridiculous statements thrown in.

Some high/lowlights:
1. We really tried to get extra picks in the 1st and 2nd. 2 straight drafts where we claim that but couldn't. Why do so many other teams manage to do it.
My goodness.

Any chance we can get Petrie back? he once actually built a good team. That gives him a 1-0 edge on the current crew.

More press conference:

Talking about the skills they like and never mention d once.

Even when pressed on D, PDA has no idea on how to respond.

Did mention maybe going after a shotblocker. Trades to come.

-NBADraft.net

-CBSSports

-USA Today

They share pretty much my exact thoughts when the pick when down and Vonleh an Payton were still there

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

I hope I eat my words but what I realized so far is that PDA is all TALK and no action.
He keeps talking about all these amazing moves but nothing to show for it. One thing I thought for sure was that he could at least get us a second round pic. Nope. He failed to even convert such a simple feat. This is something he was very adamant about. He was sure that he'd get a second rounder because of the success the organization had with second round pics recently.
Losing faith and hope in the organization.
If this pic doesn't have something to do with Rondo, I give up.

I'm not going to fault PDa for that. Hastily closing out trades for the sake of closing out trades is what leads to Kenny Thomas taking up space on your bench for half a decade. And we don't really know what was being offered in those scenarios.
PDA got on camera and on radio and talked about how they were going to acquire a 2nd round pick. Told anyone who would listen that they were looking to trade the 8th pick. I agree you don't trade for the sake of trading. In fact, I was against most of the trade rumors involving the Kings. But you also don't announce to the world that you're about to do something and then not pull it off. You lose credibility. Not to just the fans, but you have to deal with other GM's as well. Other teams are watching how we do business. Every team is looking for good deals and trade opportunities. But how come every time the Kings pick up the phone, EVERYONE knows? That in itself could say something not so flattering.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

PDA got on camera and on radio and talked about how they were going to acquire a 2nd round pick. Told anyone who would listen that they were looking to trade the 8th pick. I agree you don't trade for the sake of trading. In fact, I was against most of the trade rumors involving the Kings. But you also don't announce to the world that you're about to do something and then not pull it off. You lose credibility. Not to just the fans, but you have to deal with other GM's as well. Other teams are watching how we do business. Every team is looking for good deals and trade opportunities. But how come every time the Kings pick up the phone, EVERYONE knows? That in itself could say something not so flattering.
Like I said, PDA is all talk. He got his way to GM because he makes people believe that big things are going to happen when in reality it's the opposite. He's a good salesman. However, that's not going to cut it if the Kings stay in the lottery for another season. If we finish with one of the top 6 worst records in the NBA, I think PDA is fired (barring no major injuries to Cousins or whomever leads this forsaken team).

I should have added that you'd have to be overwhelmed by the offer. the 16th and 19th picks could have netted us two starters. I'm not sure if the Bulls called the Kings, but I would have definitely been interested. Big risk, though. We could have ended up getting two players we didn't really care for instead of the one we did.
Unless that meant they got who they wanted at 16 (i.e. Stauskas) I was never on board with trading for 2 mid first rounders. My ideal scenario was getting back a later pick along with player of value.

Lol. So this. At leasing TC is right around the corner
The 49ers had their dark years, too, but football at least can give you false hope at the beginning of every season. I don't know what to do with these Kings. It just seems like they have no direction. I'm at the point where I'll never root for another team, but I may just take a considerable amount of time away from being a rabid fan. It's very frustrating!

Some high/lowlights:
It's like everything leading up to the pick was smoke..

Status
Not open for further replies.