The Official NBA Draft Day Thread 2014 Edition

During the offseason, I've...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
People have a right to their opinion, especially when it's backed up by reasonable evidence. Maybe some have gone too far, but most haven't. I'm a big fan of yours but your sarcasm tonight is just as bad as those going overboard. If people don't like the pick, they'll vent. Fandom isn't rational.
thank you! i mean, s*** if there weren't other fans on here talking about the draft it could be brick, tets and the 7 dwarves talking kings lol

Overreactionary fanbases in general. Pretty much true for every sport except baseball.

I suppose I'm just willing to give things time is all.
I'm all for giving time if those in charge give me some shred of confidence that they know what they are doing. So far, this FO has not..and yes I understand the mess the previous regime left, but there should still be some things that instill confidence.

By the way, I'm actually fine with the pick (if we move Ben). I'm upset that the FO seems to be insisting on having both Nik and Ben and playing them together.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's days like today that I hate the Kings fan base.
That's not fair. A lot of the people venting here are among the best fans in the NBA. I know, because I know I'll be sitting with some of them come opening night 2014...and they'll cheer and stand and show the love for the Kings they always have.

People are venting because we've seen this before. It's hard to get excited over what KG4 called Jimmer 3.0 Could we all be over-reacting and wrong? Oh hell yes. But KF is a place for Kings fans to share everything - highs and lows, joys and sorrows, excitements and frustrations.

Don't worry. Things will calm down. I'm pretty danged sure our fans will give Nik a hearty welcome and a fair chance to prove himself.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I suppose my big issue is with people acting like this pick has somehow ruined their life.

Maybe it's just that as a revering manic-depressive, I have an issue with people acting like a team's draft pick is going to irrevocably alter every aspect of their existence. Is it a bad pick? Maybe. Is it a good pick? Maybe. Either way, the overreactions on both sides really bother me.

And this is coming from a dude who is NOT a fan of the Stauskas pick.

Same. I already did not have a good impression of this FO but with all the trade talks I thought we were heading in the right direction. Right now they've disappointed me once again. So much so that even if this "experiment" succeeds I will likely chalk it up to luck more than the FO knowing what they were doing. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Even if it succeeds, we're left with a SG who doesn't play defense.

Why would be even be planning, if Stauskas can be become a legit starting 2 in this league, to start a poor defender at the 2? Are we going to get defenders at the 1 and 4? We've made zero headway on that.

It seems our FO talks a decent game but when the time comes to make a decision, they fall back on what they know. Den and GS.

I'm all for giving time if those in charge give me some shred of confidence that they know what they are doing. So far, this FO has not..and yes I understand the mess the previous regime left, but there should still be some things that instill confidence.
Exactly. It's not so much about the results but rather having a plan in place. If you don't know what you're doing at least look like you do. Right now we neither appear to know what we're doing long-term nor have the results to show for it. You see other teams at least building some sort of impressive core in place.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
Watch some Nik Stauskus video highlights on youtube and you'll feel better (kind of like how Neo felt better after eating a warm chocolate chip cookie in the Matrix)

I suppose my big issue is with people acting like this pick has somehow ruined their life.

Maybe it's just that as a revering manic-depressive, I have an issue with people acting like a team's draft pick is going to irrevocably alter every aspect of their existence. Is it a bad pick? Maybe. Is it a good pick? Maybe. Either way, the overreactions on both sides really bother me.

I recall you questioning whether to get any sleep before the draft started. Did you?

I really can't get behind this pick. Vonleh and Payton were on the board and seemingly many trade possibilities were out there. We draft Nick freaking Stauskas. Why, with so many options, do we chose another shooting guard?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Just think what might have happened if our fan base showed some of the passion and lack of control endemic with futbol fans. Hell the whole Downtown Plaza would be up in flames, along with STA and the practice facility... Perspective, my friend. Perspective... ;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Since I didn't see where someone answered this:

Details please? I quit watching after our pick.
I'm not watching either (watching ATL/SAS on WNBA Live Access right now), but according to Hidden Dragons, Adam Silver went up to the podium and said, "With the next pick, the NBA selects Isaiah Austin," apparently to thunderous applause.

I don't understand why people here got the idea that playing Stauskas and Ben together means playing them at SG and PG. I believe it means they can play together with a PG. Yes, it will be a small lineup, but you can use a small lineup for short periods during the games. The Spurs do that too with Parker, Ginobili and Belinelli or Green.

If we keep Ben I believe he will be better, especially on D. So will be Ray.

I'm also sure that there would be people complaining about the pick even if we drafted anybody else in this draft.
1. We aren't the Spurs.
2. Tony and Manu are HOF players.
3. Manu and Danny are great defenders.
4. Our frontline does not have Tim Duncan.
5. Ben and Nik aren't experienced vets in a good system.

I'm not seeing that at all. By that logic we shouldn't even bother with whether this team wins or loses. Why do many of us check in here on a daily basis? The Kings losing another 20 years doesn't change any real meaningful aspect of our lives. All I see are fans upset because this doesn't seem to make sense for the team. Where are these "OMG I'm going to kill myself now" reactions you seem to be speaking of?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Since I didn't see where someone answered this:

I'm not watching either (watching ATL/SAS on WNBA Live Access right now), but according to Hidden Dragons, Adam Silver went up to the podium and said, "With the next pick, the NBA selects Isaiah Austin," apparently to thunderous applause.

Thank you. That's pretty damned classy.

Even if it succeeds, we're left with a SG who doesn't play defense.

Why would be even be planning, if Stauskas can be become a legit starting 2 in this league, to start a poor defender at the 2? Are we going to get defenders at the 1 and 4? We've made zero headway on that.

It seems our FO talks a decent game but when the time comes to make a decision, they fall back on what they know. Den and GS.
true

dude12

Hall of Famer
I don't understand why people here got the idea that playing Stauskas and Ben together means playing them at SG and PG. I believe it means they can play together with a PG. Yes, it will be a small lineup, but you can use a small lineup for short periods during the games. The Spurs do that too with Parker, Ginobili and Belinelli or Green.

If we keep Ben I believe he will be better, especially on D. So will be Ray.

I'm also sure that there would be people complaining about the pick even if we drafted anybody else in this draft.
I think it's just taking 2 SGs in consecutive years....if Ben isn't traded, then it feels like we just spun our wheels and are preparing for another 28 win season......I'm usually very optimistic and get the moves being made.....I'm down with the Landry signing still......support the Ben pick a year ago still.....I'm not terribly happy about this pick.....at least for now....Stauskus will have to come out and shoot the crap out of the ball in Summer for me to get on board....or the team makes some moves and addresses some other areas.... Right now I'm bummed.

Status
Not open for further replies.