Jimmer Fredette

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Sam Amick interviewed just now on KHTK thinks IT may be on trade block because on his impending FA. Although he doesn't think he'll be traded by deadline said Kings biggest immediate need is all centered in backcourt - both upgrading PG and SG.
Interesting.

How'd Grant respond? I know he doesn't like Amick and has IT posters all over his bedroom walls.

Can't say I'm surprised by that rumor, although saying IT might be on the trade block yet wouldn't be traded by the deadline is a conflicting statement unless an unlikely sign and trade is done this summer.

The pick-roll play in the CHI game where he set up Cuz for the first time was odd.... wasn't it? First you had Cuz looking at him quizzically with his hands out (palms up) when Jimmer was trying to get the pick set...(like "what's wrong with you, what are you trying to do?") Cuz didn't do much so Jimmer drove left and then cut right.... then it was like Cuz realized that the play worked and crashed to the hoop for the easy bucket. Afterwards, there seemed to be some type of convo between Cuz and Jimmer, but I couldn't figure out what it was... Was Cuz chiding Jimmer? After that, they seemed to be on the same page though....
He was saying and motioning "what are you waiting for". In his view, he had set the pick and the play was ready to go. Jimmer waited...and then the play worked out to perfection, with Cousins still getting the easy hoop. I think to his surprise

Guess you stopped reading right before I said dont have to be 100%. I understand you are angry to the point of reading what you want to. Good job.
Angry? Whatever.

He said "4-4 with 10 pts that's what I expect." So if he only goes 3-4 then it is ok? Just seems like there is a really unrealistic expectations for him. The truth is he has been playing really well for the last 6 weeks and unless he goes into superhero mode (with Aaron Gray and Quincy Acy as his bigs) then he has failed.

Guess you stopped reading right before I said dont have to be 100%. I understand you are angry to the point of reading what you want to. Good job.
But his point was this... You expect better performance out of your bench than you do your starters. But if they were good enough to go in and do that consistently, they would be starters.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Angry? Whatever.

He said "4-4 with 10 pts that's what I expect." So if he only goes 3-4 then it is ok? Just seems like there is a really unrealistic expectations for him. The truth is he has been playing really well for the last 6 weeks and unless he goes into superhero mode (with Aaron Gray and Quincy Acy as his bigs) then he has failed.
Jimmer not scoring is = mutumbo not blocking or altering a shot. That's what he does that's his talent. So yes he goes 0-4 1-5 2-7. He failed. That's not unrealistic. At least in my eyes. If cousins gets 12pts and 6 reb. That will be failure as well

He was saying and motioning "what are you waiting for". In his view, he had set the pick and the play was ready to go. Jimmer waited...and then the play worked out to perfection, with Cousins still getting the easy hoop. I think to his surprise
and I think the pointing (Jimmer pointing to the left side) may have been to throw off the defender - I don't know if Cuz realized that either.

Entity

Hall of Famer
But his point was this... You expect better performance out of your bench than you do your starters. But if they were good enough to go in and do that consistently, they would be starters.
No not when shooting is your only true talent. You MUST HAVE a scorer off the bench no matter who it is. Jimmer had a shot to be that guy

Jimmer not scoring is = mutumbo not blocking or altering a shot. That's what he does that's his talent. So yes he goes 0-4 1-5 2-7. He failed. That's not unrealistic. At least in my eyes. If cousins gets 12pts and 6 reb. That will be failure as well
It is though. Name the reserves that played less than 15 minutes a game and shot more than 50% for a season? By that expectation you will always be disappointed with who ever is coming off the bench.

No not when shooting is your only true talent. You MUST HAVE a scorer off the bench no matter who it is. Jimmer had a shot to be that guy
Never ever ever seen a shooter come off the bench and shoot +60% from the field. That's just silly. Fortunately for you, you backed off the expectations from your initial post (at or close to 100%) and smartly suggested failure was 0-4, 1-5, 2-7... Is Jimmer's current % (47% from Field and 3) good enough for you? That's pretty good for a guard.

Interesting.

How'd Grant respond? I know he doesn't like Amick and has IT posters all over his bedroom walls.

Can't say I'm surprised by that rumor, although saying IT might be on the trade block yet wouldn't be traded by the deadline is a conflicting statement unless an unlikely sign and trade is done this summer.

Radio interview was with Jason Ross and Henry Turner who usually take mic from Napear in last part of his show while he scurries off to get ready for TV duties.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Sam Amick interviewed just now on KHTK thinks IT may be on trade block because on his impending FA. Although he doesn't think he'll be traded by deadline...
Wait. So he's on the trade block, but he won't be traded by the deadline...at which point he can no longer be traded and thus is off the block. Sure, makes sense.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Another nice stint for Jimmer. Each tim, with more minutes, he shows improvement and that he can lead the team. IT's value off the bench helps the Team get to the next level. It's a developing year, time to see who meshes with whom, who stabilizes the team and plays both ends agressively.

Another nice stint for Jimmer. Each tim, with more minutes, he shows improvement and that he can lead the team. IT's value off the bench helps the Team get to the next level. It's a developing year, time to see who meshes with whom, who stabilizes the team and plays both ends agressively.
The one major flaw in Jimmer's game right now is that he is turnover prone, which is partially a continuing problem with handling the ball against pressure and partially him making some bad passes. I suspect he will continue to improve in both areas, and while he may never be great running the point, he is no longer abysmal.

His shooting is at least as good if not better than it was at BYU. His defense is, while not good, at least not bad enough to keep him off the floor entirely, and he has shown the ability to get off crafty little shots both inside and in the midrange that make up for his lack of raw athleticism when it comes to scoring off the dribble.

I pointed out earlier in the thread that he is the second most efficient scorer off the dribble behind the three point line behind some guy named Durant. If you include pull-up jumpers inside the three point line, he is the single best shooter off the dribble in the entire league. If I'm PDA, I'm calling every eastern conference playoff team and selling them hard on Jimmer being a counter-weapon to Indiana's defense that denies threes and layups and gives up long twos.

Oh I think there is a market for Jimmer. And I believe there was a market for Thorton too but this injury is a setback for any trade ideas perhaps. I do believe the Kings will pull the trigger on a trade to bring in a veteran PG. Maybe not a big name but someone who can run the point and distribute the ball. Put IT back on the bench where he can excel at the 6th man again.

I like this trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ptytwbd

Denver gets a shooter and a bench SF, while Kings get a vet rent-a-guard for the point.

The one major flaw in Jimmer's game right now is that he is turnover prone, which is partially a continuing problem with handling the ball against pressure and partially him making some bad passes. I suspect he will continue to improve in both areas, and while he may never be great running the point, he is no longer abysmal.

His shooting is at least as good if not better than it was at BYU. His defense is, while not good, at least not bad enough to keep him off the floor entirely, and he has shown the ability to get off crafty little shots both inside and in the midrange that make up for his lack of raw athleticism when it comes to scoring off the dribble.

I pointed out earlier in the thread that he is the second most efficient scorer off the dribble behind the three point line behind some guy named Durant. If you include pull-up jumpers inside the three point line, he is the single best shooter off the dribble in the entire league. If I'm PDA, I'm calling every eastern conference playoff team and selling them hard on Jimmer being a counter-weapon to Indiana's defense that denies threes and layups and gives up long twos.
You make excellent & accurate points as it pertains to Jimmers game. The unknown quantity is Jimmers value on the trade market. If a trade is not able to be complete, & Jimmer either continues to improve his game, or wins over some love from D'Allesandro, it creates an interesting situation. I think Jimmer can play combo guard. Last night we seen him in their with I.T in the final minutes. He's winning over some trust from Malone it seems. I would assume he would command around 2M-2.5 this offseason. Would you say their is a chance Sacramento resigns Jimmer?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Some people simply evaluate what they see. If that happens to be negative, do you think they are biased?
I do think we can be programmed for a certain expectation. For instance, just about every time Jimmer turns the ball over, it becomes a point of conversation, but if IT, or Gay, or Cousins, turns the ball over, its just, Oh well, no big deal. The expectation is that Jimmer isn't capable, therefore the turnover is proof of that. McLemore falls into the same catagory. The accepted version of McLemore is that he's a terrible ballhandler, therefore, the expectation is that he'll turn the ball over, and when he does, its proof that he's a terrible ballhandler.

Jimmer's ballhandling has improved. Is he Tyreke Evans? No! Of course not. In reality, he has improved, but in the perception of some fans, he's still the same ballhandler that came into the league his first year. If you look for mistakes you'll find them. The question should be, do the mistakes out weigh the pluses?

I do think we can be programmed for a certain expectation. For instance, just about every time Jimmer turns the ball over, it becomes a point of conversation, but if IT, or Gay, or Cousins, turns the ball over, its just, Oh well, no big deal. The expectation is that Jimmer isn't capable, therefore the turnover is proof of that. McLemore falls into the same catagory. The accepted version of McLemore is that he's a terrible ballhandler, therefore, the expectation is that he'll turn the ball over, and when he does, its proof that he's a terrible ballhandler.

Jimmer's ballhandling has improved. Is he Tyreke Evans? No! Of course not. In reality, he has improved, but in the perception of some fans, he's still the same ballhandler that came into the league his first year. If you look for mistakes you'll find them. The question should be, do the mistakes out weigh the pluses?
The other thing is that Jimmer has arguably the shortest leash of anyone of this team. There's really only so much you can make out of an 11 minute stint that a guy has. And even when he does get minutes we have to look at whether he makes use of opportunities to produce or not. Take for example the Raptors game. The box score shows Jimmer going 2-5 for 5 points, with no rebounds or assists in 15 minutes. That may look disappointing but we have to take a closer look. He essentially went 2-3 in 5 minutes in the first half. Second half he spends mostly passing to Rudy and Cousins who are forcing the offense and there's no ball movement at all. In 10 minutes played in the second half he gets one good look for a 3 which he misses, still putting him at a very respectable 50% for the night. Then he's forced to take that last second shot to avoid a shot clock violation after getting the ball passed to him late in the clock. Compare this with IT who shot 4-12 but still finished with 20+ points because he got 16 FTAs - 2 of which came from technicals on the Raptors and 6 in the last minute and a half as the Raptors played the foul game.

J

jdbraver

If jimma could win us games consistently the coach would play him. Its as simple as that. I'm gonna go ahead and go with the coach that sees him practice everyday.

If jimma could win us games consistently the coach would play him. Its as simple as that. I'm gonna go ahead and go with the coach that sees him practice everyday.
I suppose this was meant as a dig, but he's gone from 0 minutes per game and not in the future or current plans to 15 min per game.... so he must be doing something right in Malone's eyes.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I suppose this was meant as a dig, but he's gone from 0 minutes per game and not in the future or current plans to 15 min per game.... so he must be doing something right in Malone's eyes.
Well on that front what he pretty clearly did was be the last backup PG standing after the Gay trade.

Jimmer's situation will pretty much be as its always been unless we decide dot move IT at the deadline. Even if we do it could likely be the same assuming we brought back a major PG the other way.

Well on that front what he pretty clearly did was be the last backup PG standing after the Gay trade.

Jimmer's situation will pretty much be as its always been unless we decide dot move IT at the deadline. Even if we do it could likely be the same assuming we brought back a major PG the other way.
Assuming you have a full-sized starting point guard (we'll call him Pajon Pondo) and a relatively solid 2-guard (we'll call him Mabo Mefalosha), do you think Jimmer has improved enough from his rookie year to fill in as the third guard in a three guard rotation?