Greivis Vasquez triple double 2/8/13 highlights

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
He looks solid... good ball handler who's looking pass first. Even looks like he can shoot a little bit. Not expecting 9apg but I'd be shocked if he wasn't above 6 or even 7 for us.
Shooting is the weakness. That's one of those things that a highlights package heavily distorts because it just shows you the makes.

Bricklayer

Famous for it. Was a study done several years back and they led the league in the split between the number of assists their PGs got at home vs. on the road.

In this case though the splits don't look too obvious that way. It was 9.86 ast/per 36 at home, vs. 9.08 ast/per 36 on the road. That could be some of their old number jiggering, but its looks to be within the curve of legitimate possibility.

ah, you guys mean the scorekeepers are padding assists for them eh? lol, well, i'm not going to argue about conspiracy theories

Last edited:
There's a difference between having complete control of a pick & roll, spread offense where you'll rack up assists by default and having clearly superior vision to anyone we've had in a much more scattered system without roles.

NO has a history of inflating PG's assist totals due to their system.
So wait, is it a team system or a conspiracy regarding their scorekeepers? Because you guys are confusing me.

He looks solid... good ball handler who's looking pass first. Even looks like he can shoot a little bit. Not expecting 9apg but I'd be shocked if he wasn't above 6 or even 7 for us.
Seems like his game goes well with spot up shooters too.. Hellllllllo Ben McLemore..

Famous for it. Was a study done several years back and they led the league in the split between the number of assists their PGs got at home vs. on the road.

In this case though the splits don't look too obvious that way. It was 9.86 ast/per 36 at home, vs. 9.08 ast/per 36 on the road. That could be some of their old number jiggering, but its looks to be within the curve of legitimate possibility.

Was about to say that Per game his home and away was pretty close. 9.2 to 8.9 but it looks like you had it up. I see you used the 36 to maybe show more of a disparity? Anyway, the difference per game was only .3 so it's no big deal for me.

Vasquez actually scored better on the road and rebounded better. 4.6 away and 4.1 at home rebounds per game. Scoring had a large margin between home and away. At home Vasquez only scored 12.7ppg and away he scored 15.1ppg

So Greivis's road game stats were;
15.1ppg 4.6rpg 8.9apg 44.1%fg 34.8%3ptFG 85.9%ft
Not too shabby!

He did have one more turn over per game on the road though.

Last edited:
Shooting is the weakness. That's one of those things that a highlights package heavily distorts because it just shows you the makes.
Shooting is the one thing we shouldn't be primarily concerned about with our PG. See: last season. The team had a ton of shoot-first players, and no distributors. The team was 25th in the league in assists, and they just picked up the league's assist leader on a team whose best scoring option was Ryan Anderson. I'm ok with this.

Didn't someone show stats in the Vasquez trade?

Shooting is the one thing we shouldn't be primarily concerned about with our PG. See: last season. The team had a ton of shoot-first players, and no distributors. The team was 25th in the league in assists, and they just picked up the league's assist leader on a team whose best scoring option was Ryan Anderson. I'm ok with this.
Maybe he will shoot like he did on the road last year?

44.1%fg 34.8%3ptFG 85.9%ft

So wait, is it a team system or a conspiracy regarding their scorekeepers? Because you guys are confusing me.
missed the Vasquez thread, eh? answer is: both factor in. if you don't believe me, look no further than Brian Roberts, their backup PG. he stepped in for Vasquez when he was hurt and averaged 10APG in those 5 starts. the guy used to be a shooting guard in the German league two years ago.

missed the Vasquez thread, eh? answer is: both factor in. if you don't believe me, look no further than Brian Roberts, their backup PG. he stepped in for Vasquez when he was hurt and averaged 10APG in those 5 starts. the guy used to be a shooting guard in the German league two years ago.
5 starts? Small sample size.

Anyone can be a superstar for a 5 game stretch. Just go ask Jeremy Lin

Don't forget about Darren Collision when he stepped in for Chris Paul during Paul's injured season. in 41 starts he averaged about nine assist per game.

so you're denying that Vasquez assist numbers were inflated?
How does my post even come close to saying that? sheesh.

Im saying that using a 5 game sample size is an incredibly weak argument. For anything. I honestly don't know if NO PG's have their assist numbers inflated. I haven't really looked into it

How does my post even come close to saying that? sheesh.

Im saying that using a 5 game sample size is an incredibly weak argument. For anything. I honestly don't know if NO PG's have their assist numbers inflated. I haven't really looked into it
it doesn't, it's also really irrelevant to the point here then. just assumed you might actually have something to say about that. for the record, I never cited Roberts as proof, just as an indicator in case someone would think there's no merit to the discussion at all (which seemed to be the case in the post I was quoting).

P.S.: for somebody as bullish as you've been on Vasquez not to have looked closely into the circumstances of his play seems a bit lazy. sorry.

Last edited:
it doesn't, it's also really irrelevant to the point here then. just assumed you might actually have something to say about that. for the record, I never cited Roberts as proof, just as an indicator in case someone would think there's no merit to the discussion at all (which seemed to be the case in the post I was quoting).
Well, I don't really put much belief into counting stats like counting stats like APG anyway. As been pointed out, it's subjective as to what is an "assist" and the concept is just flawed in the first place. But that's another discussion for another time.

Whether Vasquez averages 9 or 8 or 7 APG, doesnt really matter. What matters most to me is that he's the first main ball-handler we've had in a long time that will be actively looking to get others involved rather than look to score. Reke, IT, Salmons, Thornton, Cousins, Jimmer, Brooks. All "Score first, pass second" players. Just his presence on the floor alone will help get us away from our ISO ball offense the last 5 seasons

Bricklayer

Was about to say that Per game his home and away was pretty close. 9.2 to 8.9 but it looks like you had it up. I see you used the 36 to maybe show more of a disparity? Anyway, the difference per game was only .3 so it's no big deal for me.

Vasquez actually scored better on the road and rebounded better. 4.6 away and 4.1 at home rebounds per game. Scoring had a large margin between home and away. At home Vasquez only scored 12.7ppg and away he scored 15.1ppg

So Greivis's road game stats were;
15.1ppg 4.6rpg 8.9apg 44.1%fg 34.8%3ptFG 85.9%ft
Not too shabby!

He did have one more turn over per game on the road though.
You use per 36 to show the truth of the matter without minutes obscuring it. people who object to them most strenuously are normally trying to hide something.

Its a longtime thing with the Hornets. Just going back year by year for the last 5, these are the per48 H/R splits of their primary PGs (I'm using per48 here because that's how ESPN has the stats, and I see no point in having to calculate them myself -- same principle as per36:
[table="width: 600"]
[tr]
[td]Year[/td]
[td]Player[/td]
[td]Home Ast/48[/td]
[td]Road Ast/48[/td]
[td]Differential[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2008-09[/td]
[td]Chris Paul[/td]
[td]15.0[/td]
[td]12.7[/td]
[td]+2.3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2009-10[/td]
[td]Chris Paul[/td]
[td]13.9[/td]
[td]13.1[/td]
[td]+0.8[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2009-10[/td]
[td]Darren Collison[/td]
[td]10.8[/td]
[td]8.8[/td]
[td]+2.0[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2010-11[/td]
[td]Chris Paul[/td]
[td]14.2[/td]
[td]11.8[/td]
[td]+2.4[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2011-12[/td]
[td]Jarret Jack[/td]
[td]9.0[/td]
[td]8.9[/td]
[td]+0.1[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2011-12[/td]
[td]Greivis Vasquez[/td]
[td]10.4[/td]
[td]9.8[/td]
[td]+0.6[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2012-13[/td]
[td]Greivis Vasquez[/td]
[td]13.1[/td]
[td]12.1[/td]
[td]+1.0[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

And to preempt any suggestions that's normal, the study was pretty thorough in that regard -- its not, and road team PGs weren't getting the same benefit of the doubt. Probably a major reason why Reke wanted to leave us actually :p -- in his 4 years here his H/R per48 ast differentials were -0.5, +0.1, -0.8 +0.1. Over there if Jrue ever suffers an injury (Jrue should average 10apg) Reke should be able to get a least 8apg.

Last edited:
Unlike Collison and Roberts, Vasquez actually looks to pass first. Not saying that his number weren't inflated with the Hornets but the Kings need this mentality.

It's obvious where some people want to go with this, but at the end of the day two points is two points. Whether he should be credited for the assist or not, it was still the right pass. He wouldn't be the first player to be accused of being a system player or having inflated stats.

It's obvious where some people want to go with this, but at the end of the day two points is two points. Whether he should be credited for the assist or not, it was still the right pass. He wouldn't be the first player to be accused of being a system player or having inflated stats.
Not really. The point of the argument isn't to say that he's not a pass first guy or that he isn't a good playmaker. The point is that one should have very different expectations of how a 7apg guy will change the team as opposed to a 9apg guy. 9 apg rightly puts you as one of the best playmakers in the entire league.

Not really. The point of the argument isn't to say that he's not a pass first guy or that he isn't a good playmaker. The point is that one should have very different expectations of how a 7apg guy will change the team as opposed to a 9apg guy. 9 apg rightly puts you as one of the best playmakers in the entire league.
He average 9apg. Will he average 9apg here?

Make the right pass.

K

KingMilz

Don't know why people are so obsessed by a number, seriously Vasquez is a very good passer regardless if his totals are inflated or not, end of the day he's the best PG we have had in ages and I'm glad we got him. If he makes the right plays I don't care what his assist totals are, he will be a solid fit on this team people are just nitpicking cause they so butt hurt over Evans getting traded.

Don't know why people are so obsessed by a number, seriously Vasquez is a very good passer regardless if his totals are inflated or not, end of the day he's the best PG we have had in ages and I'm glad we got him. If he makes the right plays I don't care what his assist totals are, he will be a solid fit on this team people are just nitpicking cause they so butt hurt over Evans getting traded.
I can't speak for others, but personally I'm really happy to have Vasquez despite being upset that Evans was let go. The point that I feel we are making is that we cannot expect Vasquez to put up those kind of numbers here. Nobody has said he isn't the best PG we've had in years, nobody is saying our ball movement won't improve. What they are saying is don't mistake the guy for the next coming of Steve Nash just because he averaged 9 assists last season. I don't understand why it's ok to be excited about a player but not to be critical of him. And I'm sick and tired of people writing off valid skepticism and criticism without so much as a counter argument, instead equating any analysis of a player whatsoever to being irrelevant because the poster is an Evans supporter. This is a damn sports forum. If you don't want to hear people analysing playrrs, which often includes nitpicking, don't come here. Nobodys stopping anyone from being perfectly happy with every player we have.

K

KingMilz

I can't speak for others, but personally I'm really happy to have Vasquez despite being upset that Evans was let go. The point that I feel we are making is that we cannot expect Vasquez to put up those kind of numbers here. Nobody has said he isn't the best PG we've had in years, nobody is saying our ball movement won't improve. What they are saying is don't mistake the guy for the next coming of Steve Nash just because he averaged 9 assists last season. I don't understand why it's ok to be excited about a player but not to be critical of him. And I'm sick and tired of people writing off valid skepticism and criticism without so much as a counter argument, instead equating any analysis of a player whatsoever to being irrelevant because the poster is an Evans supporter. This is a damn sports forum. If you don't want to hear people analysing playrrs, which often includes nitpicking, don't come here. Nobodys stopping anyone from being perfectly happy with every player we have.
My point is who cares about assist totals, if Vasquez makes the team better it does not matter how many assists he gets, if he averages 5 assists and helps the team that's a tremendous help. People are placing to much weight on numbers, Vasquez is a good guy and player who will make the team better. Patterson didn't average many assists and the moment he came into games last season the ball movement was so much better, Vasquez will do the same, people need to realize it's about impact on winning not numbers.....

OK help me out here:) Is part of the claim that the people counting the assists in NOLA are being very generous on what an assist is?

Then the other portion of the claim is that due to running the plays they were asked to run the NOLA PG's had more assists:confused:

Is this what is being claimed:confused:

Also not that I am skeptical, is there any links to articles where this is pointed out in the media? Or perhaps links to video of the assists that should not be assists? I would love to see this stuff.

Thanks for helping me out,
KB

Last edited:

Bricklayer

My point is who cares about assist totals, if Vasquez makes the team better it does not matter how many assists he gets, if he averages 5 assists and helps the team that's a tremendous help. People are placing to much weight on numbers, Vasquez is a good guy and player who will make the team better. Patterson didn't average many assists and the moment he came into games last season the ball movement was so much better, Vasquez will do the same, people need to realize it's about impact on winning not numbers.....
All true. I think if people weren't doing the homer justification thing this wouldn't even be worthy of any more mention.

Greivez Vasquez very likely had his assist totals artificially raised last year by cheating scorekeepers. Just flat out, the truth. Very likely. Just the way it has long worked down there. Something people should know when trying to assess or use numbers with New Orleans PGs.

However in Vasquez's case last year the inflation does not look to rise to such a level as to essentially overstate the nature of his game, so its not worthy of major talking pointness unless you consider that 9apg mark to be signficiant.

Now, the thing about the "made the right pass/who cares" argument is this: Vasquez's New Orleans' offense was not one of the better ones last year. Nearly identical to ours in percentages, and one of the worst in pts scored (which is likely pace related):

New Orleans FG% .448
Sacramento FG% .447

New Orleans 3pt% .363
Sacramento 3pt% .363

New Orleans Pts/gm 94.1 (25th in NBA)
Sacramento Pts/gm 100.2 (10th in NBA)

So when you say "who cares he made the right pass"...well it comes down to if the numbers aren't legit, and the team numbers weren't sparkling with him at the PG, just how legit is he?? And that's a legit argument. Its not like there is a visible Nash effect. In fact our team last year appeared to get it done just about as well as Vasquez was with his. But of course that's a complex debate with many factors that we could argue about for months -- teammates, offenses, ball dominance and just so on, and before we were doen with the debate the season would be upon us and we would just see.