Greivis Vasquez triple double 2/8/13 highlights

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I've mentioned several times that this is not a player who impresses visually, highlights or otherwise.

He finds ways to get things done, but his glaring lack of footspeed makes it always look hard since he can't get separation from anybody The best thing he does actually is play over the top -- he's obviously very long for a PG, and he knows how to pass over the top and shoot over the top even when being contested. With him its all a game of half a step here or half an inch there. You can't make him look dominant even in highlights, but maybe you can aim for saavy.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

I love nothing more than watching players like Vasquez who are IQ/Skilled based players and don't have to rely being able to out-jump or outrun someone to be a effect player, to me that's the most beautiful thing in all sports, people who win with smarts rather than athletic ability. Nothing warms my heart more than when skill/technique are able to crush athletic ability/physicality.....sadly it rarely happened's in sport since athletic ability is just nearly impossible to overcome in most sports but when it does I'm a happy man.

I had watched those You Tube highlights a couple days ago. Vasquez has game. I also noticed Robin Lopez sets a mean pick and Ryan Anderson has a sweet stroke. Both of those players played a large role in this triple double. I'm thinking Vasquez plays within the structure of team ball most of the time. He appears to rarely break off the play and go to iso ball. It would be refreshing to see the Kings consistently run plays on the offensive end.

For me the beauty of Sports is a system that emphasizes team ball. I enjoy watching Rick Adelman coached teams along with the SA Spurs. That's why I was such a fan of Bill Walsh.

So for me I'm hoping this Kings team can be greater than the sum of its parts.

KB

K

Kingsguy881

I've mentioned several times that this is not a player who impresses visually, highlights or otherwise.

He finds ways to get things done, but his glaring lack of footspeed makes it always look hard since he can't get separation from anybody The best thing he does actually is play over the top -- he's obviously very long for a PG, and he knows how to pass over the top and shoot over the top even when being contested. With him its all a game of half a step here or half an inch there. You can't make him look dominant even in highlights, but maybe you can aim for saavy.
Like a taller Mike Bibby?

He reminds me of an older Billups and Andre Miller. He beats you with skill and timing rather than athleticism.

He looks solid... good ball handler who's looking pass first. Even looks like he can shoot a little bit. Not expecting 9apg but I'd be shocked if he wasn't above 6 or even 7 for us.

The best thing he does actually is play over the top -- he's obviously very long for a PG, and he knows how to pass over the top and shoot over the top even when being contested. With him its all a game of half a step here or half an inch there. You can't make him look dominant even in highlights, but maybe you can aim for saavy.
With his height, at least we most likely won't have to worry about his direct over-the-top pass to Cousins. Just do it 15-20 times a game.

And yeah we'll need another scorer outside of this set up. Preferably a speedy, quick first step, dribble inside and out kinda guy.

He may be slow, but he see's the floor better than anyone the Kings have had in years, and he has some really good floaters that make up for his lack of speed/athletic ability.

Sort of off-topic, but I was just thinking the Kings could have four new players in their starting lineup:

Vaz
MLM
Luc
Carl

Cuz

Not sure if Landry was promised a starters role to come to the Kings or not, but I wouldn't doubt it, although he's much better off the bench.

Sort of off-topic, but I was just thinking the Kings could have four new players in their starting lineup:

Vaz
MLM
Luc
Carl

Cuz

Not sure if Landry was promised a starters role to come to the Kings or not, but I wouldn't doubt it, although he's much better off the bench.
Not seeing Luc or Landry starting. But I think there's a good probability that we have three new starters out there... MLM might start out the gates if we trade Thornton. Vasquez looks like a shoe in to start. SF is up in the air but there's a good chance we bring someone new in I think.

Not seeing Luc or Landry starting. But I think there's a good probability that we have three new starters out there... MLM might start out the gates if we trade Thornton. Vasquez looks like a shoe in to start. SF is up in the air but there's a good chance we bring someone new in I think.
what bench player is Luc supposed to be defending, though? pretty much gotta start or he'll soon look as useless as Chuck does right now. if I'm guessing, it's going to be

Vasquez
McLemore
Mbah a Moute
Patterson
Cousins

still quite a bit of trading to be done, though, otherwise there will be some really weird lineup stuff going on,

Vaz
MLM
Luc
Carl

Cuz

It wouldn't surprise me if it took a year for Ben to beat out Thornton at the two, although we don't know how Ben will perform in summer league/preseason or how the roster will look come next season

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
He may be slow, but he see's the floor better than anyone the Kings have had in years, and he has some really good floaters that make up for his lack of speed/athletic ability.
There's a difference between having complete control of a pick & roll, spread offense where you'll rack up assists by default and having clearly superior vision to anyone we've had in a much more scattered system without roles.

NO has a history of inflating PG's assist totals due to their system.

Hello everyone, I am a new Kings fan coming here with Vasquez.

I have been watching him playing since he played in Maryland. I love watching him set up big men and 3 point shooters, like the video below

He is a floor offense general that understands each of his teammates' scoring ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, I am a new Kings fan coming here with Vasquez.

I have been watching him playing since he played in Maryland. I love watching him set up big men and 3 point shooters, like the video below

He is a floor offense general that understands each of his teammates' scoring ability.
Welcome to the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love getting someone in here that has heart, plays with a chip on his shoulder and can be a true general of this offense. Can he find a way to be average on d or is it just not in his physical makeup? If it isn't, I can see why we had an interest in Calderon and why he might be a one year guy