Your Dream Scenerio For the Offseason

Since this a Dream Scenario discussion here is one, it would involve Petrie pulling a chapter out of the Pritchard book and make tons of trades though.

1) Trade Nocioni to CLE for Pavlovic(ender) and #30
2) Trade Thomas, #30, #31 to WAS for #5, Stevenson, Songalia
3) Trade #4, #5, Udrih to MEM for #2, Arthur, Jaric

Sign Bobby Jackson and Chris Wilcox to 2 yr contracts
Draft Rubio and Terrence Williams

PG: Rubio, Jackson, Jaric
SG: Martin, Stevenson, Pavlovic
SF: Garcia, Greene, T. Williams
PF: Thompson, Arthur, Songalia
C: Hawes, Wilcox

By 2011, Jackson, Jaric, Stevenson, Pavlovic, Songalia and Wilcox would be expired. ( Which is better because I don't think we would get a big FA in 2010). And the other teams might go for it. WAS has a ton of expirings, plus 3 draft picks, 2 of which arent guaranteed. MEM get 2 top 5 picks and builds their front line with Thabeet and Hill plus a back up for Conley.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Umm, what? Speculation is there's a reasonable chance that Rubio falls to #4 straight up. Now, that doesn't mean it's going to happen by any means, but it would suggest pretty strongly that the price of moving from #4 to #2 is nowhere close to a #5, Jaric's bad contract and the useless Arthur. At this point, I'd be unlikely to offer more than either cash or the #31 pick to move from #4 to #2.

Let OKC get Rubio, then trade Kevin Martin for Westbrook and Collison (Rubio, Martin, Durant backcourt = beast). Then, sign Anthony Morrow and Birdman in free agency. Let Ike become a UFA, then sign him to a low priced deal. Then draft a guard.

PG Westbrook/Beno
SG Garcia/pick
SF Noc/Morrow/Greene
PF JT/Ike
C Hawes/Birdman/Collison

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Okay, sifting through the mess that that lottery yesterday created, I finally came upon a semi-plausible scenario that might be possible. Risky, but with a decided upside if things work out. Here are the components:

1) OKC has been looking for an OG
2) OKC has a bunch of big expirings
3) both teams are under the cap, allowing for flexibility in any trade
3) we have a proven OG

So:

1) Memphis picks at #2. Rumors are they are very high on Thabeet. So let's say they take him. That leaves Rubio there for OKC.
2) OKC just found their PG last season. What they need is either a SG or a C.
3) so, we trade:
Kevin Martin
for
#3 pick + expiring contracts + ?
4) we keep the #4 pick in this scenario
5) at #3 we take Rubio, at #4 we take Harden to replace Kevin
6) because we traded Kevin's $11mil contract for a pick who will earn about $4mil + a bunch of expirings, next summer when all of the expirings come off the books we can go be a major player in the big bounty free agent market.

so basically its OUT: Kevin, IN: Rubio, Harden + $6-7mil in caproom for 09-10 (or expirings to join with KT in a big midseason deal).

Why for OKC?: Fill their OG hole, and put a potent Westbrook, Martin, Durant, Green quartet out on the floor. Also, Scott Brooks has coached Kevin.

For us:
Cons: the normal proven player for unproven player stuff; and a marvelously unathletic backcourt
Pros: unathletic maybe, but a young saavy backcourt, to go with our young bigs -- 4 of our 5 starters in the 19-23yr range. And the expirings, joined with KTs, either allow us to grab a big $$ player mid year, or be a major player in FA next year.

Note: you could do the same thing if Memphis took Rubio and OKC was looking at Thabeet. In that case we get Thabeet and Hardin, but the PG position remains unfilled. Note however that one of the expirings OKC has is Earl Watson, so you could take him back and plug him into a platoon with Beno for the year while waiting for the John Wall draft and all that caproom.
You're right - it's an unathletic backcourt. That's why I wouldn't do it. As an aside, that's why I hate Curry for this team. We need athletes. I hope Petrie just stays pat at #4 and calls the OKC bluff. Kings get Rubio, then draft another pg at #23 (Teague or Mills), and somebody athletic for the 2nd rounder.

I would do this trade in a heart beat. Instead of Harden I think with that #4 we should go for a home run and try Derozan. He has questions marks but so does everyone else but with him at least we will have a athletic guard who can play some D while attracting fans with his big dunks.

Okay, sifting through the mess that that lottery yesterday created, I finally came upon a semi-plausible scenario that might be possible. Risky, but with a decided upside if things work out. Here are the components:

1) OKC has been looking for an OG
2) OKC has a bunch of big expirings
3) both teams are under the cap, allowing for flexibility in any trade
3) we have a proven OG

So:

1) Memphis picks at #2. Rumors are they are very high on Thabeet. So let's say they take him. That leaves Rubio there for OKC.
2) OKC just found their PG last season. What they need is either a SG or a C.
3) so, we trade:
Kevin Martin
for
#3 pick + expiring contracts + ?
4) we keep the #4 pick in this scenario
5) at #3 we take Rubio, at #4 we take Harden to replace Kevin
6) because we traded Kevin's $11mil contract for a pick who will earn about $4mil + a bunch of expirings, next summer when all of the expirings come off the books we can go be a major player in the big bounty free agent market.

so basically its OUT: Kevin, IN: Rubio, Harden + $6-7mil in caproom for 09-10 (or expirings to join with KT in a big midseason deal).

Why for OKC?: Fill their OG hole, and put a potent Westbrook, Martin, Durant, Green quartet out on the floor. Also, Scott Brooks has coached Kevin.

For us:
Cons: the normal proven player for unproven player stuff; and a marvelously unathletic backcourt
Pros: unathletic maybe, but a young saavy backcourt, to go with our young bigs -- 4 of our 5 starters in the 19-23yr range. And the expirings, joined with KTs, either allow us to grab a big $$ player mid year, or be a major player in FA next year.

Note: you could do the same thing if Memphis took Rubio and OKC was looking at Thabeet. In that case we get Thabeet and Hardin, but the PG position remains unfilled. Note however that one of the expirings OKC has is Earl Watson, so you could take him back and plug him into a platoon with Beno for the year while waiting for the John Wall draft and all that caproom.

So here's my ideal offseason plan...

Opening Day Roster
PG: Tony Parker/Ricky Rubio/Bobby Jackson
SG: Kevin Martin/Jeff Teague
SF: Hidayet Turkoglu/Francisco Garcia
PF: Jason Thompson/Dante Greene/Channing Fry
C: Spencer Hawes/Tyson Chandler

New Head Coach (All Geoffe Petrie's decision, not the Maloof's)
Must be all of these: Teacher/Leader/Creative Playcaller/Ego Manager/Media Savy/Winner
Excellent Assistant Staff build on experience, teachers of the game, and winners.
Perhaps finally get Doug Christie/Scot Pollard/Chris Webber envolved in the organization (coaches, scouts, executives, etc.)

Kings, the City, and the NBA finalize plans and begin construction on a new arena in Sacramento using private funds

San Antonio Trade

Beno Udrih
Andres Nocioni
Future 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected)

For

Tony Parker

New Orleans Trade

Kenny Thomas
Ike Diogu (sign/trade)
#31 Pick

For

Tyson Chandler

Draft

#4 Pick (Ricky Rubio)
#23 Pick (Jeff Teague)

Free Agency

Sign Hidayet Turkoglu to a 4 year contract
Resign Bobby Jackson to a 1 year minimum contract
Sign Channing Fry to a 2 year minimum deal

This team would have length, youth, experience, leadership, defensive savy, midrange shooting, outside shooting, ability to get to the line, good free throw shooting, low turnover rates, a quick and entertaining pace, front office and player stability, and a new beginning to the sell out streaks at Arco!

Last edited:
My dream is

#4 Rubio
#23 Mullens
#31 Tyler Hansbrough

Sign - HEDOOOOOOOO!

PG-Rubio/Beno
SG-Martin/Garcia
SF-Hedo/Nocioni
PF-Thompson/Hansbrough
C-Hawes/Mullens

Now that gives us a mix of veteran leadership and young talent. I could see Rubio/Martin/Hedo/Nocioni/Hawes on the floor at the same time as an energy lineup.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So here's my ideal offseason plan...

Opening Day Roster
PG: Tony Parker/Ricky Rubio/Bobby Jackson
SG: Kevin Martin/Jeff Teague
SF: Hidayet Turkoglu/Francisco Garcia
PF: Jason Thompson/Dante Greene/Channing Fry
C: Spencer Hawes/Tyson Chandler

New Head Coach (All Geoffe Petrie's decision, not the Maloof's)
Must be all of these: Teacher/Leader/Creative Playcaller/Ego Manager/Media Savy/Winner
Excellent Assistant Staff build on experience, teachers of the game, and winners.
Perhaps finally get Doug Christie/Scot Pollard/Chris Webber envolved in the organization (coaches, scouts, executives, etc.)

Kings, the City, and the NBA finalize plans and begin construction on a new arena in Sacramento using private funds

San Antonio Trade

Beno Udrih
Andres Nocioni
Future 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected)

For

Tony Parker

New Orleans Trade

Kenny Thomas
Ike Diogu (sign/trade)
#31 Pick

For

Tyson Chandler

Draft

#4 Pick (Ricky Rubio)
#23 Pick (Jeff Teague)

Free Agency

Sign Hidayet Turkoglu to a 4 year contract
Resign Bobby Jackson to a 1 year minimum contract
Sign Channing Fry to a 2 year minimum deal

This team would have length, youth, experience, leadership, defensive savy, midrange shooting, outside shooting, ability to get to the line, good free throw shooting, low turnover rates, a quick and entertaining pace, front office and player stability, and a new beginning to the sell out streaks at Arco!

You think the Spurs are willing to trade Parker? Dream scenario and all, that is a tad of a stretch. ;)

Since this a Dream Scenario discussion here is one, it would involve Petrie pulling a chapter out of the Pritchard book and make tons of trades though.

1) Trade Nocioni to CLE for Pavlovic(ender) and #30
2) Trade Thomas, #30, #31 to WAS for #5, Stevenson, Songalia

Sign Bobby Jackson and Chris Wilcox to 2 yr contracts
Draft Rubio and Terrence Williams

PG: Rubio, Jackson, Jaric
SG: Martin, Stevenson, Pavlovic
SF: Garcia, Greene, T. Williams
PF: Thompson, Arthur, Songalia
C: Hawes, Wilcox

By 2011, Jackson, Jaric, Stevenson, Pavlovic, Songalia and Wilcox would be expired. ( Which is better because I don't think we would get a big FA in 2010). And the other teams might go for it. WAS has a ton of expirings, plus 3 draft picks, 2 of which arent guaranteed. MEM get 2 top 5 picks and builds their front line with Thabeet and Hill plus a back up for Conley.

That would be my scenerio of a dream season if you just take out step three. I hate how you guys think Rubio is worth so much. Two top 5 picks is worth more then one top 3 pick IMO. If were to have those two picks we could draft a Evans/DeRozan combo or a Jennings/Harden combo or somthing along the lines, which IMO is better then just Rubio.

A

AriesMar27

assuming that rubio is available at #4....

draft rubio at #4 and mills or collison #23
trade future 1st, thomas and garcia for amare (bosh just doesnt do it for me. we need athletes)
trade nocioni and greene to the bobcats for wallace (if they are still trying to trade him)
trade 2nd round pick for kwame brown
sign gerald green or matt barnes for vet minimum...
trade beno to the raptors for kapono

so my realistic dream scenerio would be...

rubio/mills
martin/green or barnes
wallace/kapono (we could keep donte greene and send a future 2nd rounder)
amare/thompson
hawes/brown

sounds like fun... athleticism, size and shooting... with a splash of defense. this is a team that can and will compete with the best in the nba and will have the depth to handle the playoffs. maybe not win a ring the first year but will compete. if you like bosh so much you can swap him out for amare. but i just like amares power dunk style of play more than bosh, something about him just doesnt appeal to me. he's a good player but amare is just better.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Well, everything I'm reading makes this look unlikely, but my ideal off-season probably looks like this:

1) Brandon Jennings @ #4, Sam Young or Terrence Williams @ 23, BPA @ 31 (too many uncertainties to call that one)
2) Tom Thibodeau as coach
3) Re-sign Ike Diogu but not Rashad McCants
4) Shop Nocioni, Garcia, and Udrih for expiring contracts and/or draft picks
5) Find jobs in the organization for Doug Christie and Chris Webber
6) Get the new arena project underway (probably should be #1, actually)

Free agent wise, I'd be all for going after Hedo if we can lose at least one of the Nocioni/Garcia/Udrih contracts. I don't see any other FA's worth pursuing.

I have 2 flexible options. It's either we draft Rubio or we draft Thabeet.

First is if we get Rubio at #4,we should grab a SF at #23. Dajuan Summers might be a surprise at #23 but he will fill our need to have a big body to have at the SF spot. I think every team now needs a guy they can bang against the Lebrons and the Melos at SF. Then we get another surprise big at #31 in Heytvelt. Although his stock maybe slowly plummeting, I believe he will surprise people on how fast he can contribute in the NBA.

Lineup would be:

PG - Rubio/Udrih/Garcia
SG - Martin/McCants/Garcia
SF - Nocioni/Greene/Summers/Garcia
PF - Thompson/Greene/Nocioni/Heytvelt
C - Hawes/Heytvelt/Thompson

Then if we draft Thabeet at #4, we should put our stocks to possibly get Maynor at #23. I believe this kid is the most clutch and mature on this PG loaded draft. He's crafty and unorthodox and I feel a Sam Casell clutchness in this kid. Then again invest #31 for a backup big, Heytvelt.

PG - Maynor/Udrih/Garcia
SG - Martin/McCants/Garcia
SF - Nocioni/Garcia/Greene
PF - Thompson/Heytvelt/Nocioni
C - Hawes/Thabeet/Thompson

And BTW, resign McCants. He's been a good source of offense coming from the bench.

And we should feed our young bigs more food (carbs and protein) during the offseason. If only Hawes, Thompson, and Greene gaine at least 20lbs each. Then we should have a pretty strong frontline.

pick rubio at 4..

trade for wiz pick

trade wiz pick minnesotas 28th and 18th

trade greene for Portlands 55 and 56

draft
18th mullens
23rd casspi
28th Taj Gibson
31st Rodrique
55 nando de colo
56 chris johnson

kings line up

rubio/beaubois
martin/garcia/de colo
Nocioni/casspi
Thompson/johnson, Taj Gibson
Hawes/Mullens

ettore messina as coach

a very young team!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, everything I'm reading makes this look unlikely, but my ideal off-season probably looks like this:

1) Brandon Jennings @ #4, Sam Young or Terrence Williams @ 23, BPA @ 31 (too many uncertainties to call that one)
2) Tom Thibodeau as coach
3) Re-sign Ike Diogu but not Rashad McCants
5) Find jobs in the organization for Doug Christie and Chris Webber
6) Get the new arena project underway (probably should be #1, actually)

Free agent wise, I'd be all for going after Hedo if we can lose at least one of the Nocioni/Garcia/Udrih contracts. I don't see any other FA's worth pursuing.
Ramon Sessions!!

Here's a note from the Utah Jazz website... Looks more like a radio station analysis than a rumor, but thought I'd share...

Locke Dating Game: Francisco Garcia

1320, K-Fan Home of the Utah Jazz

Who: Francisco Garcia (6'7" shooting guard, Sacramento Kings, 13 pts; 3 rebs; 2 ast -- 44% 40% from three)

Why is he available: contract runs through 2013 averaging 6 million a year. Jumps from 1.4 million to 6 this year.

What would it take: Jazz could move an expiring contract of Harpring or Korver for Garcia contract

Why would they do it: With the #4 pick of the draft the best players are shooting guards and the roster all ready has Kevin Martin. They don't need a 6 million dollar back-up.

Why is this a good move: Garcia is a true shooting guard. He moves well without the ball. He was the #1 option when he was at Louisville and can handle the big moments. Tough minded. Started 36 games when Martin was out and averaged 13 pts that can go either as a positive or a negative, he shot 43% from the field and 40% from three as a starter. The Locke offensive rankings have him as a 19.5 in 07-08 and a 13.0 with extended time in 08-09. 19.5 is a starter caliber number. A shooter that has to be guarded.

In 07-08 the Kings were better when he was on the floor and were considerably better defensively when he was on the floor.

Why is this a bad move: Not very athletic. The slip in his numbers when he got more time is not a great sign. The Kings were just terrible when he was on the floor and the defense was historically bad all year and equally bad when he was on the floor. Is that Garcia or the Kings. This was not the case in 07-08 and 06-07.

Overall: The Jazz need a good shooting guard who can stretch the floor. I am not sure Garcia is a starting shooting guard in the NBA.
More..

Yeah, with more digging - the guy is the local radio guy for Utah.. here's another one he did about Noc.

http://www.kjzz.com/fansports/shows/locke/44903127.html?blog=y

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Yeah, with more digging - the guy is the local radio guy for Utah.. here's another one he did about Noc.
It appears as if this guy is looking for the Jazz to acquire any and every player, generally for expiring contracts.

If there's one thing we don't particularly need, it's expiring contracts. I can imagine either Noc or Garcia being shipped out, but not for expiring contracts just so we can fail to land a superstar in the '10 FA class...

Alright so I sorta changed my dream scenerio.

Ok so first off we buy New Orleans 21 pick

Then we trade the 4th and Beno and Garcia to Minnasota for the 6th & 18th the 45th and the 47th and Brian Cardinal and Mark Madsen (expirings).

Then trade Madsen, Cardinal, and Thomas for Amare or Bosh

6-Brandon Jennings or Johnny Flynn
18-Terrence Williams
21-Eric Maynor
23-Sam Young
31-Derrick Brown
45-Rodrigue Beaubois
47-Jodie Meeks

Then send Beaubois to the D League for the year or until we make room.
Lineup

PG-Flynn or Jennings/Maynor
SG-Martin/Meeks/Maynor
SF-Nocioni/Williams/Young/Brown
PF-Amare or Bosh/Thompson/Brown/Young
C-Hawes/Amare or Bosh

Hire Westphal or Rambis as a Head Coach and Messina as an assistant.

Alright so I sorta changed my dream scenerio.

Ok so first off we buy New Orleans 21 pick

Then we trade the 4th and Beno and Garcia to Minnasota for the 6th & 18th the 45th and the 47th and Brian Cardinal and Mark Madsen (expirings).

Then trade Madsen, Cardinal, and Thomas for Amare or Bosh

6-Brandon Jennings or Johnny Flynn
18-Terrence Williams
21-Eric Maynor
23-Sam Young
31-Derrick Brown
45-Rodrigue Beaubois
47-Jodie Meeks

Then send Beaubois to the D League for the year or until we make room.
Lineup

PG-Flynn or Jennings/Maynor
SG-Martin/Meeks/Maynor
SF-Nocioni/Williams/Young/Brown
PF-Amare or Bosh/Thompson/Brown/Young
C-Hawes/Amare or Bosh

Hire Westphal or Rambis as a Head Coach and Messina as an assistant.
Yeah, because you can trade 3 expirings for Amare or Bosh.:rolleyes:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
If there's one thing we don't particularly need, it's expiring contracts. I can imagine either Noc or Garcia being shipped out, but not for expiring contracts just so we can fail to land a superstar in the '10 FA class...
It doesn't really have anything to do with the 2010 FA class. All three of those guys have topped out on their potential and they're bench players. We don't really need to be spending $18 million a year for three backup players. Especially if we're not good enough to make the playoffs. Yes maybe their hustle is good for the team, but losing those contracts (3 years for Nocioni, 4 years for Garcia and Udrih) would help the team more. I don't think all three of them need to be traded, one or two would be fine, but I would make all three of them available and take the best offer.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
It doesn't really have anything to do with the 2010 FA class. All three of those guys have topped out on their potential and they're bench players. We don't really need to be spending $18 million a year for three backup players. Especially if we're not good enough to make the playoffs. Yes maybe their hustle is good for the team, but losing those contracts (3 years for Nocioni, 4 years for Garcia and Udrih) would help the team more. I don't think all three of them need to be traded, one or two would be fine, but I would make all three of them available and take the best offer.
I just don't feel that we need to be tossing away useful players (sure, they're not stars, but they're useful) for ending contracts at this point -- especially Beno. I've been thinking that the best case draft scenario for us, given that we don't make any trades, is the following:
#4 Rubio
#23 Lawal/Hansbrough
#31 Claver/Dasic

Now I know that people are going to hate the idea of Hansbrough, but he measured out better than expected in Chicago and he's a known quantity. Nobody expects him to be a star, but as the #3 big man in a frontcourt rotation? He should be solid. At #23 I don't see a T-Will falling to us, and at #31 I don't see a Casspi around. At #23 I'd really like to go big to get that #3 guy in the rotation. At #31 we could try to grab the #12 PG in the class or we could just try to find a Euro whose stock is a bit lower because they're not coming over immediately. Either way I don't think we can get an immediate contributor there.

Then I'd project out rotation minutes as follows:
Post (96 min): Thompson (32), Hawes (30), #23 (20), Nocioni (14)
Wing (96 min): Martin (30), Garcia (25), Nocioni (16), Greene (25)
PG (48 min): Beno (24), #4-Rubio (24)

Obviously I'd expect to give Martin (and maybe Hawes) more time on a per-game basis, but with their injury history he (they) will probably miss time and I'm accounting for that. I'm already giving Greene way more minutes than he has thus far earned, I'm stretching the #23, and Nocioni/Garcia still see 30/25 mpg.

I actually think we're going to need to USE these guys next year. And I'd much rather it be them than an expiring like Harpring/Korver who is less likely to help us. We're going to want to start on the upswing next year, shoot for 35 wins, and Nocioni/Garcia will be an important part of that. Beno? We need him as the PG anchor as we groom the rookie we draft at #4.

Once our new PG is ready to take over the reins, once Donte or some other SF is ready to start, then we can think about shipping off one or more of these guys. And hey, maybe there will be a trade that comes up that makes a more sensible use of them. I mean, I'd ship any combo of them off to Washington for the #5 and whatever trash they want to give us. But like it or not, these guys are probably going to be integral parts of the rotation for the next two years and I don't want to trade them for nothing right now. They'll be tradeable enough when the time comes.

A

AriesMar27

exactly, this team isnt good enough to be paying that much money to a bunch of back up players.... now that i think about it, i wonder if okc would trade #3 and watson for garcia and #4? as opposed to bricks idea trading kevin for expiring contracts. it would help them out a little more than trading for kevin since garcia can help with the ballhandling because westbrooke isnt really a true pg. garcia would be like a doug christie type of sg for the thunder.

beno and nocioni are a bit harder to trade. but i could see a team like orlando trading for beno if hedos asking price is too high. especially since nocionis contract decreases over time they could do a s&t with hedo for nocioni.

Draft Jordan Hill at 4.
Trade him with Kenny Thomas & Pick #31 for Ricky Rubio & Marko Jaric.

For the pick #23, let Geoff Petrie find a big man project.

Trade Andres Nocioni for Kurt Thomas, Matt Bonner & George Hill.
Cut Kurt Thomas & Matt Bonner to let them resign with the Spurs.

Resign Ike Diogu for $3M a year.

Sign Chris Wilcox for $15M and 3 years (the last year with a team option).

Sign Trevor Ariza for $35M and 5 years ($7m a year).
With Ricky Rubio as your point guard, he can be your Shaw Marion/Doug Christie type of player.

Ricky Rubio / Beno Udrih / George Hill

Kevin Martin / Francisco Garcia

Trevor Ariza / Donte Greene

Jason Thompson / Ike Diogu / pick #23

Spencer Hawes / Chris Wilcox

+ Marko Jaric

Ok people.. I had another "dream" last night.. I cannot believe how many dreams I am having about this stupid draft. Two in the last week or so.

The first dream had us taking Holiday, and the second dream had us taking Jeff Adrien.

Hopefully next week I have a dream of us taking Rubio :)