Worried about Casspi

Once again, excuses, excuses. It's funny how every time somebody is critical of a Kings player you come up with a million excuses for that player and then bash the poster for being critical. These are highly trained athletes that are paid millions of dollars. This isn't 4th grade basketball where we praise all the kids for "trying their best." Omri has made tons of mental mistakes the past month or more. It's getting old. It got so old to PW that he told him to take the night off when he was perfectly healthy. He could have just not played him but he actually told him to take the night off. That's unheard of in the NBA.
Being critical is one thing, but the way you expressed it, it sound like you're ready to throw Casspi under the bridge and let him drown. You make it sound like Casspi gave up and quit.

Casspi is in a slump, trying a little too hard and not getting the job done correctly. We all know that he been sucking lately but you give the guy no room to breath. IMO, that is not being critical but being hostile.

(If you don't mean it to be hostile, it just came out that way to me)

Your reasoning for being a professional and making millions, he should perform up to expectation. While we hope that is possible you can't be on top of your game all the time and that you can lose your mojo for a period of time. It happens to many professional athletes. But one thing for sure about him being a professional, when giving time to play, he gave it all he got. That is expected from all professionals. Anway...he's just a rookie, mistakes will be made and some very often. 6-8 weeks of bad games don't mean he's a lost cause.

Even college student graduated with PHd for whatever field they've been training to do, still need a learning curve as a professional.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Omri's been carrying the extra burden of kind of carrying an entire country's hopes on his back. And people forget just how young he is. We just aren't going to know with him until next season. I'd be very interested to know HIS offseason plans -- Reke already has the make a superstar summer lined up. But guys like Omri and Donte have just as big summers coming up. Not only basketball, but working on his body, really settling in and acclimating himself to the States, and just generally getting himself right physically and mentally for next season.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's hard to believe that all his off-the-court ambassadorial duties hasn't contributed to his being burned out. I keep hearing how generous he is with his time. Well, like everything else, too much generosity can be a bad thing. I think his mind is punishing him right now for his extreme generosity. He doesn't look very good on the court, and he's got to know that. So now he needs to set some rules for himself on how much time he's going to put into being ambassador. This is especially important for next year. He's done his duty. Now he has to protect himself from the throng and stick to his knitting as basketball player.

Omri's been carrying the extra burden of kind of carrying an entire country's hopes on his back. And people forget just how young he is. We just aren't going to know with him until next season. I'd be very interested to know HIS offseason plans -- Reke already has the make a superstar summer lined up. But guys like Omri and Donte have just as big summers coming up. Not only basketball, but working on his body, really settling in and acclimating himself to the states, and just generally getting himself right physically and mentally for next season.
Apparently, he's committed to playing for the national team. I understand he feels he must, but I don't think that's going to help his NBA game much. :(

Like I said, my biggest issue is how he's forcing shots and just doing things that he shouldn't be doing. He could go 0pts 0reb 0ast in a game and I would be perfectly fine with it if he was playing hard on the defensive end, scrapping as much as he could and not going on the offensive end thinking he's Jordan. To me it's not about his drop in productivity which I understand is quite natural and expected, it's how he seems to just need to get a few bad shots up a game.

K

Kingsguy881

This is a pointless discussion displaying some serious lack of intelligence by some posters. Not to mention a lack of reality :rolleyes:

Omri is a deity in whatever city he goes, he is travelling more now than ever before, in a strange land, around different people. His time demands and the physical strain are getting the best of him. Over in Europe, he played a 50 game season. Anyone tried drawing the correlation between the 50 game mark and his rookie wall yet :rolleyes:

Casspi will be just fine. It's some of the posters contributing around here I'd be more worried about :cool:

Apparently, he's committed to playing for the national team. I understand he feels he must, but I don't think that's going to help his NBA game much. :(
I actually think it will, believe it or not. At this point, I think this will give him a release and some fire again, playing for his country...confidence too. I'm not REALLY worried about Omri...we know how he plays when not frustrated like he is now, and I think as he grows as a person and player, we'll be able to SEE the maturity. Right now everything's moving so fast in his life I bet, 1st Israeli player ever in the NBA, being an upstart rookie that everyone was taking notice of REAL fast early on, being an emotional player on top of all that...he was bound to hit a wall that he was going to have to learn from. Playing for Israel will let him recharge again and come into next season more mature, IMO..., we'll see I guess.

Omri's been carrying the extra burden of kind of carrying an entire country's hopes on his back. And people forget just how young he is. We just aren't going to know with him until next season. I'd be very interested to know HIS offseason plans -- Reke already has the make a superstar summer lined up. But guys like Omri and Donte have just as big summers coming up. Not only basketball, but working on his body, really settling in and acclimating himself to the States, and just generally getting himself right physically and mentally for next season.
In May+June he'll be training with Joe Abunassar (http://www.impactbball.com) and in July the national team's trainings begins for the games that will be held in August.
Also, if i remember correctly, Paul Westphal wants him to gain about 10 pounds of muscles in the summer, so he'll be working on that too.(by the way, he gained 5 pounds last summer)

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This is a pointless discussion displaying some serious lack of intelligence by some posters. Not to mention a lack of reality :rolleyes:

Omri is a deity in whatever city he goes, he is travelling more now than ever before, in a strange land, around different people. His time demands and the physical strain are getting the best of him. Over in Europe, he played a 50 game season. Anyone tried drawing the correlation between the 50 game mark and his rookie wall yet :rolleyes:

Casspi will be just fine. It's some of the posters contributing around here I'd be more worried about :cool:
Well, those are still just excuses for some. Rookie's aren't allowed to have a learning curve anymore. Development is a word that doesn't exist for some. Youth doesn't excuse the inability to perform like a veteran, apparently. It's all-nba or bust. The rookie wall doesn't exist and it is inexcusable for a rookie to tire or struggle during his first nba season. Adjusting to the nba game and american culture for the first time is as simple as applying for a new job for most of us.

I'm shocked how anyone living in that reality can get anything done on a daily basis.

K

Kingsguy881

Well, those are still just excuses for some. Rookie's aren't allowed to have a learning curve anymore. Development is a word that doesn't exist for some. Youth doesn't excuse the inability to perform like a veteran, apparently. It's all-nba or bust. The rookie wall doesn't exist and it is inexcusable for a rookie to tire or struggle during his first nba season. Adjusting to the nba game and american culture for the first time is as simple as applying for a new job for most of us.

I'm shocked how anyone living in that reality can get anything done on a daily basis.
I wonder how these people would be if they were suddenly sent over to Europe and had the demands placed on them Casspi does, not to mention doing their job at 150% clip against tougher competition.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

That's always been an aggravation with non-U.S. born players, but it is what it is. Hopefully it does not stunt him vis a vis a peer like Tyreke who will be woking nonstop all summer. I'll be more aggravated if it pops up one day when we are ready to contend again. Right now, who knows it might even work out ok if he gets to go back and play big man on campus. But if he poops out again next season it will be time to sit him down and have a talk. The annual NT madness was never designed with the brutal NBA schedule and physical game in mind.

I'm not worried at all about Casspi, because the man has HEART! His passion for basketball speaks loudly to me. I believe this year was a huge adjustment for him. He'll be fine.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I wonder how these people would be if they were suddenly sent over to Europe and had the demands placed on them Casspi does, not to mention doing their job at 150% clip against tougher competition.
Not to go off on a tangent, but my fiancee grew up in eastern europe in Sofia, Bulgaria, right about half way between Istanbul and Belgrade. The same challenges she has had adapting to this culture are similar to the ones Vlade, Peja, and Hedo experienced. And now Omri. Being halfway around the world from your family, culture, cuisine, native language, are all considerable challenges for anyone to go through, let alone someone in there early 20's. Learning to do everything in your 2nd or 3rd language is extremely difficult. My fiancee has been here 5 years and still gets homesick. Her stuggles are something I have witnessed up close. I respect her even more for having gone through it.

Now, for people on here to act like being half way around the world from everything you ever new, for the first time, is not going to require an adjustment period....I don't even know how to respond. Either they have never travelled, never met someone who has gone through it, or are just too ignorant to even debate with.

K

Kingsguy881

Not to go off on a tangent, but my fiancee grew up in eastern europe in Sofia, Bulgaria, right about half way between Istanbul and Belgrade. The same challenges she has had adapting to this culture are similar to the ones Vlade, Peja, and Hedo experienced. And now Omri. Being halfway around the world from your family, culture, cuisine, native language, are all considerable challenges for anyone to go through, let alone someone in there early 20's. Learning to do everything in your 2nd or 3rd language is extremely difficult. My fiancee has been here 5 years and still gets homesick. Her stuggles are something I have witnessed up close. I respect her even more for having gone through it.

Now, for people on here to act like being half way around the world from everything you ever new, for the first time, is not going to require an adjustment period....I don't even know how to respond. Either they have never travelled, never met someone who has gone through it, or are just too ignorant to even debate with.
Thats what I am thinking. And kudos to you for the engagement, and her for having the bravery to make such a change.

I know when I went to college in New Orleans, that was a helluva transition and it was quite scary for an 18 y/o. The time difference alone was enough to throw me off balance. I can only imagine being halfway across the WORLD as opposed to just the country, and what that might do to someone.

Money does not buy happiness, and anyone who harps on the fact that these athletes make millions of dollars, well, that's just an excuse too. You don't think about your bank account when you are having a rough time on the court.

I'm not worried about Casspi. He has the heart and determination to make it in the NBA. Sure there is the adjustment period. Not only to NBA basketball but to the culture here. Sacramento is pretty easy going compared to other NBA cities, so he caught a break coming to Sacramento. The speed of the NBA is more difficult to prepare for, and Casspi did a very good job early on, but as teams learned his game and tendencies, he was not able to adapt and change his game to take advantage of the scouting report. He will learn in the off season how to pace himself and to deal with NBA defenses. He is a rookie, and is playing just like a regular rookie plays his first season. Tyreke is not the norm for rookies. There is a reason he is up for ROY! He is playing like a veteran his first season, which is special. I sure hope he recovers from that vicious attack by Ilyasova. I cant BELIEVE that a fine didn't come down from the league office. If that was an accidental elbow, I'll eat my HAT! They took Evans out on purpose because they desperately needed to win that game and Evans had beaten them single handedly before! I believe it was on purpose, but it doesn't matter now. What does matter is that he recover fully.

Don't worry about Casspi. It is his rookie season. He's having a fine rookie season. He will be better for the struggles he goes through this year. Next season, Casspi being a hard worker will have more stamina and endurance to make it the whole season without running out of gas. He has never played this many games in this long a season. Next year he will have more gas in the tank and will pace himself better. Omri is going to be a great European player. Playing for his national team will hopefully sharpen his game and build his confidence. Lets just pray he doesn't get an injury playing for FREE overseas. I wish teams would write in a clause in Euro players contracts that if they play on their national teams and get injured, they have to forfeit some of their salary. That would be fair to the NBA team that is paying them big money to play for another team for free. I understand national pride, but the cost of an injury playing on another team should be shared by the player. That would certainly dissuade Euro players from playing, but give them the opportunity to do so if they accept the possibility of getting injured and forfeiting some of their salary. Not all of it, but like 25-30% of it. I think that would be totally fair and would provide some relief for the NBA team that has to carry an injured player on their roster because of a game he played in the summer that had nothing to do with the NBA. That would take some of the sting the NBA team feels when a player that is on THEIR payroll is injured in a game that does not benefit the NBA team at all. Playing in those highly emotionally charged games for national pride is dangerous! I am not certain there is any benefit at all to the NBA team if they have a player going into a situation like that. The players are forced to play for their National team or suffer shame and ridicule! It is unfair to the player, but that is part of the Euro experience. Hopefully he is NOT injured and comes back next season with a renewed energy and focus to compete in the NBA.

Casspi is a great shooter and he is going to help the Kings next season. He very well could be the starting small forward next year! Lets hope he builds up his stamina and works on his game. He won't run out of gas next year I bet! :) Casspi is under a ton of pressure right now, but as the newness of his being in the NBA wears off, he will be able to settle down and play some good basketball here. That is what happens for most Euro players that are hyped and play in the NBA. Right now, the Euro fans are off the charts crazy about their guy, but as he settles into a career in the NBA, the craziness will calm a bit and he will become a fine consistent player for the Kings. Right now, he has crazy obligations to fulfill and certainly has been distracted somewhat by those obligations. I think he burned the candle at both ends and he is now paying the price by having run his fuel tank to empty. It would be perfect if he could have rested and recharged in the off season, but that apparently will not be the case. I sure hope Omri gets a rest or vacation of some kind to re-energize and recuperate from a long NBA season. Hopefully the National games he plays will be short lived and he gets the opportunity to rest at some point. I'm sure Omri fans don't want to hear that, but I hope his Euro team gets eliminated quickly and Omri gets a breather. He needs to rest and get prepared for his "Paying Job". Next year he wont be mobbed quite so much and his off court obligations will be less, so he won't be out of steam before the season ends. I think it is fantastic that his fans are so fanatic, but at some point you gotta let the Kid play ball! He needs to earn a living and if he isn't given a chance to rest, he will start breaking down. No one wants that to happen so I hope his fans let him rest and be the great player he is going to become.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight. Omri was picked #23, and took everyone by surprise with how quickly he could contribute. He played well in nov, very well as a starter in dec, continued solid play through most of jan, and started to slide leading up to allstar weekend. He seemed to crash or hit the wall right after the allstar break, and has played very poorly since then, for about the last 6-8 weeks.

If you look at his season as a whole, he has contributed much more than most players picked around him in the 20's. On top of that, he has the pressure of being the first Israeli player ever to play in the nba, and often has numerous interview and media requests when on the road. The pressure he's facing is not comparable to an american player coming out of college. On top of that, he's only 21, and adjusting to a new culture.

As recent as the 2nd half of jan, most here thought he was our future sf. Now, only 2 months later, we have fans who have decided he can be a decent backup at best, for the rest of his career. Nevermind looking at the history of the nba, the history of rookies, and the history of foreign rookies in this league, they jump to their own conclusions and attempt to forecast entire nba careers while throwing logic out the window completely. Dirk, both Gasol brothers, Tony Parker, Hedo, Bargnani, Bogut, Peja, and others, all stuggled immensely at times as rookies, and none resembled as rookies the players they developed into down the road.

It's also funny how some choose to ignore the fact that Omri is making the transition from Euro basketball to NBA basketball. Or the fact he played more as a pf and closer to the basket in Israel, while he is learning how to becomes a fulltime wing in the nba. I am not at all surprised at the struggles he's going through.

There is also the history of some kings fans saying this about numerous players in the past. I long time ago I heard the same things about Peja and Hedo. At that time no one thought Tony Parker would make it in the nba either, and that was only a year or two after Dirk getting hammered by the local media as an nba rookie. Then it was Kevin with us. Not many thought he would become a quality nba starter, or even approach that level. Recently, over the past year, JT, Spencer, Beno, and Donte have all been criticized for not being nba quality players. This summer I read on this forum numerous times that Donte simply wouldn't make it in the nba. Funny how things change.

I really question if some on here have ever watched an nba rookie develop over his first 3 seasons. Watched the ups and downs The rollercoaster ride most young players go through. This is normal for most rookie's, and most rookie's don't have all the national pressure and media attention Omri recieves from Israel. This is all about youth, transition to the nba, adapting to another culture, gaining experience, and really going through a full nba season for the first time. Omri will learn from this and be a better player because of it. He will know how to pace himself, and deal with the media attention much more effectively next season, and the following.

Will Omri be an allstar down the road, or one of the top sf's in the game? Who knows. Judging by what Dirk, Parker, Peja, and Hedo did as rookies, no one thought they would ever sniff an allstar game. To attempt to forecast a rookie's career is one of the most arrogant and ignorant things a fan can do. Just based off the improvemnt Donte has shown from last season to this, I have to wonder if some of there fans are blind, and only see what they want. Donte went from an NBDL player late last season, to the player who some want to see as our future sf, and arguably has more star potential than anyone on this team not named Tyreke. Apparently that is completely lost on some.

Sorry for the rant. Probably wasted my time given we will go through the same thing next year with whoever we end up drafting in June.
I read your whole message and all I have to say is: word up

should we actually sit him out the rest of the year?.. i think he should play at least the last home game... but seriously should we just rest him the rest of the games??? hes looking really really tired....

its been a pretty big bummer that one of the big reasons i was so excited about this team this year.... has officially been ran into the ground...

i dont remember seeing a player nose dive quite like Casspi has... he didn't just hit a wall, he hit a wall then another wall and another....

its weird to see him getting so badly burned on defense, and out hustled... hes not really banging into people and being as scrappy either... his offense is pretty much gone...

its just crazy... hes got nothing left...

whats worrying me is that he plans to play for his national team this offseason, and this nose dive we're seeing right now will repeat itself again next year if this dude doesn't get a chance to bulk up and rest...

just saying
Not weird, just typical. He's young and tired. Not to mention he played at 125% for the first half of the year.

Just don't let him become your new Hawes. :p

Once again, excuses, excuses. It's funny how every time somebody is critical of a Kings player you come up with a million excuses for that player and then bash the poster for being critical. These are highly trained athletes that are paid millions of dollars. This isn't 4th grade basketball where we praise all the kids for "trying their best." Omri has made tons of mental mistakes the past month or more. It's getting old. It got so old to PW that he told him to take the night off when he was perfectly healthy. He could have just not played him but he actually told him to take the night off. That's unheard of in the NBA.

I will give credit where credit is due. For example, Beno has played tremendously as of late and he's been solid all season. I have a lot of respect for him in the way he's turned things around after having an abysmal season last year. He's earning his checks now. Hawes is another player that I've been critical of in the past but I'm starting to see signs of life from him. Maybe he's finally getting it. If and when Casspi ever "gets" it I will praise him as well but, for now, I will call it how it is.
:rolleyes:

Being mentally tired is part of being tired.. You don't just go from playing once a week to playing 3-4 times a week without affecting you both physically and mentally. Yes mentally.. Go out and run a mile a week for 6 weeks then after the 6 weeks are up go run 3 miles 3-4 times a week and right after you get home start discussing Wittgenstein over a game of backgammon. (shameless Simpson's Plus) Tell me your mind will be "right" and that the shock to your system wont affect your thinking as well.

Im not at all worried about Casspi. Hes a rookie. Hes already shown me what hes capable of. His conditioning and maturity will improve and at some point this conversation will never be had again.

I will give credit where credit is due. For example, Beno has played tremendously as of late and he's been solid all season. I have a lot of respect for him in the way he's turned things around after having an abysmal season last year. He's earning his checks now. Hawes is another player that I've been critical of in the past but I'm starting to see signs of life from him. Maybe he's finally getting it. If and when Casspi ever "gets" it I will praise him as well but, for now, I will call it how it is.

You appear to me to be simultaneusly logically challenged, and hyperbole gifted. That is not a combination I cherish.

Question: Was Caspi playing better earlier in the season than he is now?

if the answer is "yes" ... then discussions aimed at seeking to explain why there was a CHANGE are looking for an explanation, which is different from providing an excuse. no?

L

LWP777

You appear to me to be simultaneusly logically challenged, and hyperbole gifted. That is not a combination I cherish.

Question: Was Caspi playing better earlier in the season than he is now?

if the answer is "yes" ... then discussions aimed at seeking to explain why there was a CHANGE are looking for an explanation, which is different from providing an excuse. no?
Sorry, as much as I'd like to respond to your post, I cannot due to fear of being censored by VF21. Have a nice day.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sorry, as much as I'd like to respond to your post, I cannot due to fear of being censored by VF21. Have a nice day.
Oh good grief. Grow up.

Nice that you decided to quote your post, but not my response OR your reply to it...

You were told to take your comments down a notch because terms like "Casspi fanboy" are not appropriate, especially when used in a demeaning or derogatory manner. That's ALL that was said.

I said nothing about you not responding in the future. I know it's always easy to take a potshot at a moderator, but - as Warhawk has said in another thread - if you have a problem, you take it to PMs and we deal with it off the board.

If you have a response that is germane to the topic at hand - which is Omri Casspi - please feel free to post it. If you're still crying over the slap on the wrist, get over it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
A little advice. When your posts (not you, but anyone) become more about you, than the subject, then you've failed and its time to rethink your approach. If your seriously trying to make a point, and all your doing is causing irritation and anger, then your point is getting lost in the process. So it could be that your approach might not be the right one.

Futher more, its unrealistic to believe that everyone is going to agree with you when you post. I'm sure I could say that the sky is blue and someone would want to argue over what shade of blue. You have to expect disagreement, and do your best to respect that disagreement. Keep an open mind, and don't assume that your always right. When you circle the wagons you close your mind to all outside considerations. Believe it or not, your not the smartest or most knowledgable person on this fourm. And neither am I.

I was taught by my great aunt that raised me, that people who have no ability to discuss things in an intelligent manner, will be the first to call others names. This is not intended to brand you. I've called others names in my life and I've always regretted it. She was right!

Fourms like this one, too often fall prey to people who like to call others names. Its a place where people who wouldn't have the courage to say something to another persons face, can abuse normal societial rules without penalty. What makes this particular fourm so unique, is that its not tolerated. And thank god, and the moderators for that.

So if your truely trying to communicate a point. And all your finding is unnanimous disagreement. Then is possible that there's something wrong with either your point, or your approach. The worse thing you can do is to call them names. Peace! :)

Omri on the Road

I went to the Kings - Clips games at Staples last weekend, and it was a scene like I haven't witnessed before at a basketball game. Before tipoff I am sitting lower level, and opposite side of the court there is a group of about 100 fans. They have signs and matching T-shirts, and they break out into a chant:

OM-RI CASS-PI <clap> <clap> <clap clap clap clap> OM-RI CASS-PI <clap> <clap> <clap clap clap clap>

Mind you the game hadn't yet begun! Needless to say I got a kick out of this.

To paint the picture a little more, the PA system was friggin loud. But when it was not for the piped in sound effects, the whole lower bowl could hear the Omri chanting. (By the way, Staples Center is a beautiful facility. Though when I ventured into the Laker/Clip team store, I felt I had entered into the bowels of hell :D).

Then the game starts, and about a minute into the game the chant starts up

OM-RI CASS-PI <clap> <clap> <clap clap clap clap> OM-RI CASS-PI <clap> <clap> <clap clap clap clap>

Omri is on the bench at this point and PW has no intention to put him in the game until the end of the first quarter.

I felt bad for the fans because Omri went scoreless, and they were SO enthusiastic and worshipping of the guy. The fans kept at all game long and broke into Omri chants at least a dozen times.

So just to reinforce the type of attention Omri gets. He has dealt with it as well as can be expected. And lets hope he ends the year on positive note and regains his shooting touch a little.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You may have missed it, but sitting with those Omri fans were some So. Cal Kingsfans.com fans, who went to the game as a planned event. You can read about it here

He's fine. For a long stretch there, I would even argue that he was our second best player, behind Tyreke--that's a testament to the impact he had (and still has) with us. Yes, his impact and his numbers have steadily dropped over the course of the season due to the aforementioned fatigue and sporadic minutes, but I firmly believe that he still has the makings of a very solid starter, if not better. Many have already touched on it--he might be feeling the stress of playing for his country, he's had a lot of mileage, etc.--he's super young and will recover from it. What makes me most intrigued is that his defense, overall for this season, has been impressive for a rookie, and the faster you pick it up, the better it bodes well for your future.

L

LWP777

In his last 10 games:

He is 16 for 57 from the floor for 28%

He has shot only 2 FT's during that span (in 141 minutes)

He has grabbed 25 rebounds (2.5 per game)

Yep, no worries here. It's the rookie wall. He'll be an All-Star in 2 years.

not worried, he doesn't have the strength and 82 games plus practice and air travel is alot for a guy to get used to. Once he finds his niche, he might be an allstar, but he would need to start playing PF for that to happen, because at SF he isn't quick enough to compete.