World Cup 2006 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
I would just like to join in on team England's performance so far: I don't know what you guys expected, but if you can name one English squad that played pretty soccer in the last 15 years, then I can understand how you can be disappointed with how they play in this WC. They have a GREAT midfield, solid enough defense and very little up front (but their midfielders pose the most danger). Just because they didn't create that many opportunities, it doesn't mean that they didn't play well... how many opportunities or shots on goal Ecuador had ? It was very clear who the dominant team was in that game. Also, keep in mind that just like Italy, England sort of plays at the similar level to their competition, so do not be surprised if they look like a completely different team against Portugal.
They haven't played pretty or clicked yet, and they reached the final 8 nonetheless, well, if they click, that will be scary.

With all that said ... FORZA ITALIA!!! FORZA TOTTI!
England played well in 1996. Gaza,Anderton, McManaman with Sheerer up top - played great. Unfortunately, Southgate missed the PK

England played well in 1996. Gaza,Anderton, McManaman with Sheerer up top - played great. Unfortunately, Southgate missed the PK
Not really. They still played ugly, long balls and rare opportunities. the only reason why they went far was because they were on home turf. This team is more capable than that one.

Not really. They still played ugly, long balls and rare opportunities. the only reason why they went far was because they were on home turf. This team is more capable than that one.
In the semi final of Euro '96 the England team that lost on penalties to the Germans was David Seaman, Gareth Southgate, Tony Adams, Stuart Pearce, Darren Anderton, David Platt, Paul Ince, Paul Gascoigne, Steve McManaman, Teddy Sheringham, Alan Shearer .

Certainly a talented team, Anderton and Mcmanaman were there to run at defenders and Gazza could potentially come up with a match winning piece of skill. The defence was solid enough, what Pearce and Adams lacked in pace they made up for in heart. Shearer is a legend.

However, if i comapare position by position i think i would still go with the current team in terms of capability.

It was 5 -5 when Southgate blasted his spot kick at the German keeper. If England find themselves in the penalty shoot out lottery in this competition im definatley to be found hiding behind the sofa. ;)

However, if i comapare position by position i think i would still go with the current team in terms of capability.
Yes, I agree. This England team is stronger, but they just need to find that something extra they know they have. If they are saving themselves for the final stages then everyone else should be afraid, very afraid.
One thing is for sure, we will see a great game on Saturday. I remember the 3:2 spectacle in 2000, now that was football people.

It was 5 -5 when Southgate blasted his spot kick at the German keeper. If England find themselves in the penalty shoot out lottery in this competition im definatley to be found hiding behind the sofa. ;)
It will happen my friend, sooner or later, you can count on it. My advice to Sven would be not to let defenders shoot at any cost. When he runs out of attackers and midfielders, let the keepers shoot.

okay, so today its England vs Portugal.

The results between the two teams over the past 40 years have been as follows:-

1966 World Cup semi-final Egnland 2 Portugal 1
1974 Euro Champ qualifier England 0 Portugal 0
1975 Euro Champ qualifier Portugal 1 England 1
1986 World Cup round 1 Portugal 1 England 0
2000 Euro Championship Portugal 3 England 2
2004 Euro Championship Portugal 2 England 2*
*(Portugal win 6-5 on pens)

For this current match up both sides have some great players in the line up. I fear the trickery and pace of Christiano Ronaldo, Simao is very quick, Maniche has shown he can find the back of the net and Postiga is just waiting to make an impact on this tournament.

The midfield battle should be interesting, will Tiago and Petit be effective replacements for the suspended Deco and Costinha? - I have to hope not ! ;)

Come on England !!

GO ENGLAND!!!:D No Rooney or Beckham, this could be ugly!
Why is this on the same time as the Agassi-Nadal match? Dammit! I want to see both!:mad:

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's a shame it came down to whose goalie was better. As a novice observer, however, I just thought England looked very tired even before the PKs. Their goalie - Robinson? - just didn't look like he had anywhere near the energy or focus that Ricardo did.

Congratulation to Portugal on thier progression to the semi-finals.

Going out on penalties is a heart-wrencher.

I was 39 years old when the game started, now it feels like its time to pick up my state pension on Monday !

Euro 2008 feels a long way off! ::insert tears emoticon::

Wow, from the moment extra time ended I knew Portugal were through. I mean when Lampard stepped up to shoot, it was so clear that he would miss. He missed everything this year. It was all downhill from there...

But it's heartbreaking, it really is. I'm glad I'm not English right now, because it must hurt. Keep your chin up LK, England has a lot of promising youngsters, you'll get it next time. It's not the end of the world. One thing though, when will this stupid red card thing stop? In 1998 it was Beckham, this time it was Rooney. If you want the title this has got to stop.

Brazil - France up next! :eek:

In an hard fought match like this, the luckiest team would win. I'm just happy that we were the luckiest ones. Scolari is very far from being a great coach but he sure is the luckiest one. By far. Neither side really played well and that resulted in a pretty bad match, which has been a feature of the championships in this quarter finals. The quality of play has decreased from past world campionships.

It was a pitty for England that Rooney had that knucklehead reaction. But even then England fought to the end and still had chances to win. Penalty kicks are always a lottery and Ricardo (who btw is not a good pk keeper) hit the jackpot. He just seems to get inspired against England.

England has a great team and not for injuries to owen and king (before the wc) and a bit more luck and they could even win the competition. They seem to be lacking something that Portugal don't have also, a good to great striker. But i believe this England team has a bright future, especially with such a great midfield.

I don't think that Portugal is going into the semis as bookmakers favorites but i believe that we can beat anyone and we shold be stronger than in this game againt England. Deco, our best player, is returning after suspension. Cristiano Ronaldo shold be fully recovered from his injury, which he isn't yet. So it can be a very interesting game in the semi finals. And i really dont care who it is against, Brasil or France.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
In an hard fought match like this, the luckiest team would win. I'm just happy that we were the luckiest ones. Scolari is very far from being a great coach but he sure is the luckiest one. By far. Neither side really played well and that resulted in a pretty bad match, which has been a feature of the championships in this quarter finals. The quality of play has decreased from past world campionships.

It was a pitty for England that Rooney had that knucklehead reaction. But even then England fought to the end and still had chances to win. Penalty kicks are always a lottery and Ricardo (who btw is not a good pk keeper) hit the jackpot. He just seems to get inspired against England.

England has a great team and not for injuries to owen and king (before the wc) and a bit more luck and they could even win the competition. They seem to be lacking something that Portugal don't have also, a good to great striker. But i believe this England team has a bright future, especially with such a great midfield.

I don't think that Portugal is going into the semis as bookmakers favorites but i believe that we can beat anyone and we shold be stronger than in this game againt England. Deco, our best player, is returning after suspension. Cristiano Ronaldo shold be fully recovered from his injury, which he isn't yet. So it can be a very interesting game in the semi finals. And i really dont care who it is against, Brasil or France.
I didn't get up in time to see that live. I didn't understand what the announcers were talking about until afterwards... It's always a shame, regardless of the sport, when a player does something like that and truly hampers his team. (Anthony Peeler comes to mind immediately...)

As far as Portugal goes, I was very impressed with Ricardo. If he's not usually a PK keeper (?), then he sure picked a great time to step up.

Oddly enough England may have played its best match today. Though that says more about the quality of its other matches.

Portugal was lucky in the end to survive all those scrimmages.

Bra-Fra => Zzzz...

I didn't get up in time to see that live. I didn't understand what the announcers were talking about until afterwards... It's always a shame, regardless of the sport, when a player does something like that and truly hampers his team. (Anthony Peeler comes to mind immediately...)

As far as Portugal goes, I was very impressed with Ricardo. If he's not usually a PK keeper (?), then he sure picked a great time to step up.
The only penalty kicks that i remember Ricardo stop, were in both ocasions against England (2004 and today). In 2004 he almost became a national hero for taking out his gloves and defending the last England PK barehanded. And we went through to the semis of the european championship played here in Portugal. And now he did it again against England. He sure likes the Brits.

Well, big upset. Brazil was rather vulnerable in this tournament, but you'd expect them to scrape through. And not lose in the QF, to France.

Ronaldo did absolutely nothing again (same goes for Kaka, and well, most brazilians). Robinho should have come in much earlier..

ALLEZ LES BLEUS! ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!

GO FRANCE GO baby!

7th win in a row VS Brazil in the world cup.. last defeat dated back to 1958 when Pelé was 17 years old.

The French are overrated, they're too old, past their prime... yeah say all of that if you want but they just convincely beat two great soccer teams in Spain and Brazil.

Tough match VS Portugal next..

Vive La France! Vive Les Bleus! Montré leurs qui sont les vrais rois du foot!

Gerard and Lampard really sucked throughout the World Cup, culminating in the missed PKs. England was talented enough to go to the semis or finals, but those guys really choked.

What an interesting day. I thought England and Brazil would pull it off even though I had been chronically underwhelmed by both teams the entire tournament. When Beckham went off I knew they were done, when Rooney got sent off it was almost laughable because it meant even if they did get through they'd have nobody besides robo-oaf and a 17 year old who's never sniffed playing time up front. Then they pull the only person that was able to score a goal without Beckham's assistance to put the giant oaf in. I guess the English fans are glad that the SGE era is officially over.

Brazil... well. I can't even laugh about them. So much talent completely wasted this tournament.

Gerard and Lampard really sucked throughout the World Cup, culminating in the missed PKs. England was talented enough to go to the semis or finals, but those guys really choked.
They've not only sucked in World Cup, but they've sucked all the time playing for England. They do absolutely well for their clubs (Liverpool and Chelsea respectively), but it seems they can't bring their level to the national team. Same goes for players like Henry (FRA), Toni (ITA), Gilardino (ITA), Villa (SPA). In Gerrard's and Lampard's case, the consensus is that these two players are too similar. It doesn't work out that way. The midfield is full of big names (with beckham), but ultimately it misses that right kind of mix of skills. These players only shine when they're in possession themselves.

It is a typical case of "it looks awesome on paper, but it sucks in reality".

Of the 4 teams left, I guess Portugal is the one I will cheer for. OK, if they don't make it, then let the Germans have their party. I usually hate them, but this team is different thanks to Klinsman, a player I liked when he was still playing. One thing is for sure, Italy must not win. If they do, I'm gonna destroy things. Heck, any team other than Italy will do. I hate them...

Status
Not open for further replies.