Woj - Kings Simmons pursuit OVER

So regardless of the above
On my drive into work this morning:

Carmichael Dave thinks if Nets are unhappy enough with Ben Simmons

They might consider Trading him to the Kings

He thinks that If we give them Barnes, Holmes and our 1st Rd pick - unprotected for 2022
We might pick up Simmons at his lowest value

There is still Hope KB02! LOL

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
That's three useful players to get one giant question mark. Frankly that's absurd if you ask me, because we finally are in position to have 5 useful starters and that is partially contingent on turning Holmes and the pick into top 7 players on the roster immediately.

He thinks that If we give them Barnes, Holmes and our 1st Rd pick - unprotected for 2022

I was just thinking about how it's looking like we dodged a major bullet not trading for this guy. It sounds like Brooklyn was fully expecting him to play today, and then he woke up this morning and said nah. The only price I'd pay for dude right now is spare parts. And definitely not any picks.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
That's three useful players to get one giant question mark. Frankly that's absurd if you ask me, because we finally are in position to have 5 useful starters and that is partially contingent on turning Holmes and the pick into top 7 players on the roster immediately.
Sure, on the premise that Simmons is a question mark, that's kinda risky. On the premise that Simmons (who reportedly requested to be traded to a California team while in Philly) is actually excited about playing here with Sabonis and Fox and can convince the Kings he can pass a physical (and a mental)...I mean, you can't turn that deal down, can you?

A lineup of:
PG - Fox
SG - DiVincenzo
SF - WHO KNOWS?
PF - Simmons Who Wants To Play
C - Sabonis
6th - Mitchell
is easy playoffs, 50+ win lineup, right?

I mean, maybe we try to get cute and keep #7/8 this year and send off an unprotected 2024 and a pick swap in 2025, and hope to land a passable SF (Sharpe? Mathurin? Griffin?) this year.

Bottom line, I would be surprised if a deal that low for Simmons would ever be on the table. But if it were, and Simmons is a medical green light, don't we kind of have to?

Sure, but the Nets aren’t going to do that deal. They’ll require Mitchell and this year’s first. And I think Monte would likely bite given his desperation. Though from a shooting perspective, that would be one of hell of a sh*tshow.

Sure, on the premise that Simmons is a question mark, that's kinda risky. On the premise that Simmons (who reportedly requested to be traded to a California team while in Philly) is actually excited about playing here with Sabonis and Fox and can convince the Kings he can pass a physical (and a mental)...I mean, you can't turn that deal down, can you?

A lineup of:
PG - Fox
SG - DiVincenzo
SF - WHO KNOWS?
C - Sabonis
6th - Mitchell

I mean, maybe we try to get cute and keep #7/8 this year and send off an unprotected 2024 and a pick swap in 2025, and hope to land a passable SF (Sharpe? Mathurin? Griffin?) this year.

Bottom line, I would be surprised if a deal that low for Simmons would ever be on the table. But if it were, and Simmons is a medical green light, don't we kind of have to?
40+ easily. Shooting is an issue. A huge issue. 4 below average shooters on the floor.

I don’t think you get Simmons without two lotto picks. Mitchell and #7 this year.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I was just thinking about how it's looking like we dodged a major bullet not trading for this guy. It sounds like Brooklyn was fully expecting him to play today, and then he woke up this morning and said nah. The only price I'd pay for dude right now is spare parts. And definitely not any picks.
But....I kept hearing from everyone how it's all fake and he'll be good to go with a week or two of conditioning once he's traded?!?!?

Yeah, at this point I'm still glad we didn't land him. And we still have no idea if he'll ever play.

40+ easily. Shooting is an issue. A huge issue. 4 below average shooters on the floor.

I don’t think you get Simmons without two lotto picks. Mitchell and #7 this year.

Might be worth it. They would have just created the best passing duo since Webber/Vlade in the front court. If it's not enough shooting then maybe they flip Fox for something else later although I think Fox/Sabonis/Simmons might makeup for it with physicality and triple threat abilities.

Might be worth it. They would have just created the best passing duo since Webber/Vlade in the front court. If it's not enough shooting then maybe they flip Fox for something else later although I think Fox/Sabonis/Simmons might makeup for it with physicality and triple threat abilities.
For sure I would do it in a heartbeat. Two elite passing bigs is rare. Get those two and everything else can be figured out later.

Barnes,Holmes,Mitchell and our #7 for a guy that didn’t even show up to support his team while he sits at home with Icyhot on his back? That’s a big hell no from me

Barnes,Holmes,Mitchell and our #7 for a guy that didn’t even show up to support his team while he sits at home with Icyhot on his back? That’s a big hell no from me
It is tough and could totally blow up but that would essentially be Monte getting everything he was wanting (Simmons/Sabonis) without touching his franchise player. Rarely do you get to pull that off.

At this point the term distressed asset doesn't do the situation justice. It's one of 2 things.
1.Klutch is forcing him to LAL if it scorches the earth
2. Simmons just doesn't have a flame burning for basketball.

If we want to take a flyer it's a Barnes/Len/Harkless type of deal hes a liability of the highest proportions.

It’s at least an interesting thought. For the Nets a lineup of:

Kyrie Mitchell
Curry Brown
Durant Harris
Barnes Harris
Holmes Drummond

has some potential.

For the Kings you would still have some pretty big holes to fill but some real promise

Sabonis and Simmons don't make sense together neither do Fox/SImmons, honestly if SImmons comes back to play next year and the Kings tank again with Fox/Sabonis I would try move one of them + whatever for him. The Kings would need a elite shooter @3 and @4 to make Simmons/Sabonis work.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

A lineup of:
PG - Fox
SG - DiVincenzo
SF - WHO KNOWS?
C - Sabonis
6th - Mitchell

How do we know he's good for 60 games next year? If he's not that is just not good with no Barnes and no pick plus nothing else for Holmes.

I mean, yes - Fox, Simmons and Sabonis in a vacuum sounds pretty nice but we need more talent, especially shooters which is a giant question mark and we are trading for a non-shooter.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Assuming Ben Simmons' insistence that he needed time away from basketball to manage his mental health was legit, coming back for an elimination game in the playoffs alongside teammates he's never played with in an official game sounds like the worst circumstance possible. Sure they can say after the fact that they just wanted to see him try but if he came back and played poorly, what happens then? A whole off-season of New Yorkers talking about him being washed up? I'm not surprised he chose to sit this game out. It's also kindof funny that anyone in the Brooklyn front office or locker room would be mad at Ben Simmons for not playing after the way they handled Kyrie Irving's own health related absences.

Would I still trade for him? Maybe. If he plays he's at the very least a defensive stud but will he play again? It's going to be impossible to insulate him from the negativity of sports-related coverage online. I would only feel comfortable giving up a lotto pick at this point if he agrees to regular counseling as part of his overall physical training program. I don't think that would be an unreasonable request given that he's already missed an entire season for mental health related reasons.

Is there a better team to ease Ben back into the game than Sacramento?
Too much talent there to waste, but yeah we cant sell the farm and Kings brass would need to have a serious heart to heart with Ben and his camp.
Understand that shooting would be an issue that needs addressed.

I don’t see Simmons as an option for us anymore. He’s not a good fit with Sabonis and not a good fit with Fox. It made sense when we we were thinking about a potential core of Mitchell-Haliburton-Barnes-Simmons but not now.

Sounds like the Nets basically bought Netflix stock a week before the crash.

If I was Monte, I'd be telling them they need to pay me to take on his contract because I wouldn't give up anything for him. Too risky for a guy that is this mentally unstable.
Yeah if it's a true buy-low (Like Barnes+Holmes+any enders they want level buy-low), you take the flier as the Kings imo. Still leaves us with DDV+Mitchell+7 and the MLE as a supporting cast and Fox/Simmons/Sabonis is as talented an on-paper trio as there is in the NBA. But we're now a full year into this saga without him playing and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. If the Nets are going to sell, they better be ready to truly take pennies on the dollar because I don't think anyone is going to budge with premium assets.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I do appreciate Simmons taking the initiative and addressing mental health publicly from his position as a marquee professional athlete. He's not the only professional athlete who suffers with something like this and if the result of his very public standoff with two different NBA teams is the creation of codified rules for treating mental health in the future, it will have been worth it. That article in the Athletic seems to imply "just suck it up and play" is the attitude of the Nets organization. The 76ers went all-in with their "we think you're faking and we won't pay you" plan so I suppose this is still an improvement from that situation.

My point of view is that salary and quality of life are not equivalent - - just because he signed a contract that doesn't mean he is now insulated from any and all setbacks which may prevent him from fulfilling his part of the contract and playing basketball. Or put another way, if Ben Simmons is valuable enough to warrant a $170 million dollar contract, surely he's also valuable enough to be treated like an adult and supported with the resources he needs to get both mentally and physically healthy. If he tore his ACL and needed two years of treatment to return, nobody would be calling him a quitter. The stigma around asking for help to treat mental conditions is something we need to grow out of as a society -- especially with the amount of potential stressors that come along with modern living.