Woj: Kings let Bogi go

I’ll say it again, for a guy with his reputation he built in Euroleague, he sure the hell didn’t demonstrate it here for the most part. He’s just not that good. We got better when we didn’t match that contract.
Not once did I ever understand his hype. He never shot the ball well consistently here. His defense sucked and for someone who is somehow known as this great playmaker he never averaged over 4 assists a game despite being our secondary ball handler. I couldn't be happier we didn't match his deal.

Bogi isn't going to admit anything potentially illegal when this has all kind of been swept under the rug. He also probably won't want to acknowledge if Atlanta, his new team, also sent out messages skirting the rules letting them know he'd get a bigger offer if he waits it out. Not to mention if MIL hadn't been so loose lipped they could have worked out the difference most likely. The big thing here was once this deal got leaked, there was a ton of pressure for it not to happen at all. I am sure the NBA sent messages that they wouldn't have to void any deals that don't happen and everyone got the hint.

if He came out and said something to the effect that he enjoyed his time in Sac and appreciate all the opportunities yada yada........as opposed to.....they didn’t make any moves so it was time to move on.

Look at Harry Giles. I believe he may have more reason to be bitter but his exit on social media was in such a way that he’s going to get a rousing standing O when he’s back at Golden 1. That is how you do it.

you mean like this?

That was part of it; though in the end although he was trying to get more money, he ended up with the same amount as I recall correctly. But it was also about role; he balked at the possibility of being the 4th option like he's anymore than that anyway.

Bogi just LOVES being part of mediocre teams it seems, where he can pat himself on the back over individual accomplishments.

Tsk, tsk. What ARE they teaching the players over there in Euroleague?
It was the same amount as the bucks trade before they traded for Jrue. After the Jrue trade it was 4-5 million per year less.

Some of you are just looking at something to peck at. Players want to win. Had the Kings retained him and made some moves that bolstered the current roster he would've been cool staying. Why does it need to be any more than that. He's 28, he doesn't want to be 30 and not have sniffed the playoffs.

Once again LOL.

Go be a starter on a title contending team for the next 3 years as the 3rd/4th option. Instead he's destined for a 6-7-8 seed; as the 3rd-4th option. Trae, Collins, Gallo, Rondo, all their young wings. He's going to probably have to share the ball more on ATL than he would with the Bucks.

Oh well. DDV and Wilson would have been awesome, but can't fault McNair for Bogi being dumb and passing on a real opportunity to win a title for the same money.
I thought he ended up with something like $3 to 4 million more per year in salary, but I could be wrong. I seem to remember the bucks deal somewhere in the $14m per year range. If correct, that’s not necessary an insignificant amount.

I thought he ended up with something like $3 to 4 million more per year in salary, but I could be wrong. I seem to remember the bucks deal somewhere in the $14m per year range. If correct, that’s not necessary an insignificant amount.
We dont know the deal, it is just reported it was lowered

I know I read where Bogi said he thought he could get exactly what ATL signed him for. This is when Bogi and his Agent nixed the Bucks deal. 3 to 4 M a year X 4, who can blame him.

Thought the reported Bucks deal was in the $15m/per neighborhood. Also feel like it maybe was 3 years guaranteed but that could have been my imagination since "no deal was in place".

Lot of talk about the deal and the “why” of the deal. I just want to report that I’m very sorry to see him go. He was my favorite on t. He team and arguably the best player on the team. Sorry to see him go. Wish him all the best.

I only read the wiretap article, but it sounds like they were offering an okc first that's more likely to convey as two seconds and an expiring Snell for Bogi. So our options were let him walk for free, or pay $12 million for two seconds and a year of Tony Snell. Realgm is going all Kangz over this, but if we really want a couple more second round picks we could get them a lot cheaper than $12 million. I don't see Snell as much of an asset for this team, especially as we have already have expirings in CoJo and Bjelica if needed for trades.

A protected 2022 pick which is most likely going to become second round picks in 2024 and 2025 is not something I'm going to lose sleep over.
The Athletic also brought up points to the amount of time they were given to make a decision and a lack of knowing what the salary would be. More than trivial details.

It was a good move on Atlanta’s part. Hats off.
Is a year of Tony Snell worth 2 second rounders? Probably. I’m not losing sleep over it but I think I would have taken the deal.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
the wording of the initial report made it sound like a relatively simple first rounder via OKC but in reality it’s so protected that the Kings were only going to wind up with two second round picks (which we already have plenty of) anyways and bringing in Tony Snell as a “moveable” piece would only make sense if we didn’t already have four or so other players who are inherently more moveable than he is.

the wording of the initial report made it sound like a relatively simple first rounder via OKC but in reality it’s so protected that the Kings were only going to wind up with two second round picks (which we already have plenty of) anyways and bringing in Tony Snell as a “moveable” piece would only make sense if we didn’t already have four or so other players who are inherently more moveable than he is.
Not only that but he would be a roster spot plus how many of the other deals would that expenditure have blocked.

Today’s a day I’m glad to have grabbed the $1/mo Athletic deal lol

2 seconds def has value, esp bc OKC is likely to be bad

the Snell situation isn’t so straightforward. We’re at the cap already so I think we’re still in the same situation vis a vis trade flexibility - being less than a million under the cap is functionally the same as being 12 over for trade / salary matching purposes

A $12mm expiring is an asset but a very speculative one. The odds of actually swinging that contract for value aren’t exactly great, especially when we already have about $130mm tied up in Buddy and Barnes over the next 3 years so we don’t have much room to help someone unload a contract

really it just seems a question of whether paying $12 million + tax is worth 2 second round picks. That plus the outside chance the Hawks offersheet is one we can match but you can’t really count on that either

Last edited:
Basically, Atlanta maintained their advantage by not providing enough detail or time for the Kings to make an informed decision.
It seems extremely stupid how they did it. A S&T would’ve saved them some money - they can pay a little less for Bogi and almost certainly they don’t include the trade kicker if a deal is in place

There’s def good reason for the hawks to see if they can make this deal happen. It’s not like anyone was going to swoop in and give Bogi an offer anywhere near what they could pay. If they aren’t serious about working a deal why offer anything at all?

if He came out and said something to the effect that he enjoyed his time in Sac and appreciate all the opportunities yada yada........as opposed to.....they didn’t make any moves so it was time to move on.

Look at Harry Giles. I believe he may have more reason to be bitter but his exit on social media was in such a way that he’s going to get a rousing standing O when he’s back at Golden 1. That is how you do it.
Did you actually watch the entire media availability with him? He praised Kings, his teammates and the fans multiple times and said he’ll be cheering for Sacramento.

He did say we didn’t make any moves in the free agency which is true - we are less talented team than we were a year ago.

Did you actually watch the entire media availability with him? He praised Kings, his teammates and the fans multiple times and said he’ll be cheering for Sacramento.

He did say we didn’t make any moves in the free agency which is true - we are less talented team than we were a year ago.
You sure about that? This would definitely depend on what a persons perceived talent level of Bogi is. Otherwise, nothing has changed. Added Haliburton. Lose Len and Giles and pick up Whiteside and Kaminsky. Lose Bazemore and get GRIII. The talent level hasn't changed. Maybe even increased because of Whiteside. I'm actually concerned that the team has to make a trade for picks or there is a chance the Kings have too much talent to tank.