Woj: Kings let Bogi go

Look at it like this

If you signed me for a 4 year 40 million contract with a 15% kicker

Year one I don't go anywhere

You trade me at year two

Year two calculated would be 15% more than that or 11.5 million minus each day over the year, for that calendar year

Year 3 & 4 would pay the full 11.5.

What matters is the cap hit for year 3 and 4 to the next team stays 15% higher no matter what.
perhaps you didn’t see the Hollinger quote but he addressed these terms specifically. Because year 4 is an option year it’s not included in the trade kicker.

It's pretty interesting that we are not hearing a peep out of the Kings camp whether they will match or not. Makes me think that the leaks are not coming from the FO.
And for the most part, you are only seeing that the Kings had interest after the player has signed elsewhere.

I’m not sure if teams usually wait until the last minute to match, but to me it sounds like this is a done deal...
I think we’re in a more unique situation compared to most teams dealing with restricted free agents. It seems like we only want to keep one of Bogdan or Buddy, so we may be trying to deal Buddy as we speak. These are just assumptions but it could be a reason why our decision, or lack thereof, hasn’t leaked yet.

I think we’re in a more unique situation compared to most teams dealing with restricted free agents. It seems like we only want to keep one of Bogdan or Buddy, so we may be trying to deal Buddy as we speak. These are just assumptions but it could be a reason why our decision, or lack thereof, hasn’t leaked yet.
Or you want to freeze ATL so they are in limbo and can't make any moves for 2 days. Gamesmanship.

I think we may be looking to deal Buddy right now but I also think we're going to make Atlanta wait until the deadline either way. There's a certain level of nastiness on signing RFA guys like this, thus the trade kicker on their end and in turn we will cap tie them for 48-72 hours as a result.

I’m not sure if teams usually wait until the last minute to match, but to me it sounds like this is a done deal...
They also don’t usually wait until the last minute to say they aren’t going to match. So they likely are weighing their options but I don’t like the idea of shopping Buddy when teams know they are up against it. If they would rather have Bogdan they can match and then they would be in no larger position of weakness dealing Buddy later on. Buddy is tradeable and for good assets. I’m not buying that a shooter of his caliber who still averaged close to 20 points on 40 percent three point shooting in what was considered a bad season for him won’t net a return. If reports of Buddy’s trade market are accurate, which I’m not sure they are..Teams are hard balling the Kings but if they would rather have Bogie long term then they can make that decision today without immediately having to trade Buddy

I’d personally rather keep Buddy but I think both haven’t had their best seasons yet, but Buddy fits more now and long term if Halliburton is NBA ready

I guess Ill keep on saying it:
Match Bogie
Trade Buddy to atlanta for Hunter and Pick
Sign Whiteside

Fox,Bogie,Barnes,Bagley, Whiteside
Cojo,Tyrese,Hunter,Beli,Holmes

Third String reserves
Ramsey,James,Woodard,Jeffries,Parker

Trade Cojo,Beli,Parker at deadline for more assets
Add Ramsey,Woodard to rotation

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Match Bogie
Sign Whiteside

Third String reserves
Ramsey,James,Jeffries,Woodard,Parker
I'm OK with this, but the thing is I really kind of doubt that Atlanta is going to be engaging in talks for Buddy while they have Bogdan on an offer sheet. I think we will probably either have to deal Buddy elsewhere, or else we'd be biting to bullet and really praying that Atlanta will go after Buddy with no hard feelings after we matched their offer sheet for Bogdan. Atlanta, as bad as they may need a SG, could still easily tell us to go hang.

I'm OK with this, but the thing is I really kind of doubt that Atlanta is going to be engaging in talks for Buddy while they have Bogdan on an offer sheet. I think we will probably either have to deal Buddy elsewhere, or else we'd be biting to bullet and really praying that Atlanta will go after Buddy with no hard feelings after we matched their offer sheet for Bogdan. Atlanta, as bad as they may need a SG, could still easily tell us to go hang.
Yes Match has to come first, i think Atlanta wants to win now and will want Buddy's shooting, no other starting SG left in FA
Has to go down in the order shown above

Atlanta, as bad as they may need a SG, could still easily tell us to go hang.
That’s funny, considering we have something they covet. I think it’s the other way around, actually.

KINGS match then spend the season or longer talking to every team not named ATL. And if ATL still wants to call about Buddy, the price for them went way up....by at least 15%. Lol.

That’s funny, considering we have something they covet. I think it’s the other way around, actually.

KINGS match then spend the season or longer talking to every team not named ATL. And if ATL still wants to call about Buddy, the price for them went way up....by at least 15%. Lol.
Thats ok too, I just wanted to do trade with Atlanta right away so we still have a chance at Whiteside

Match Bogie
Sign Whiteside

Third String reserves

Like this idea. Or how about trading Buddy to Denver and getting back MPJ? Hey I can dream a little, right?

Any chance of moving Buddy to OKC for their Adams TPE and one of their lesser firsts? Buddy’s a demi-god in Norman, they have nothing other than Shai now, and they could let Buddy chuck his way to 30 a game and flip him for a couple 1sts down the road.

Any chance of moving Buddy to OKC for their Adams TPE and one of their lesser firsts? Buddy’s a demi-god in Norman, they have nothing other than Shai now, and they could let Buddy chuck his way to 30 a game and flip him for a couple 1sts down the road.
That'd be cool, but I doubt OKC is looking for anything other than young talent for their imminent tank job.

Well here's the reality. If we look at the way the team was constructed last year, the kings have even less depth now (lost Len, Bazemore, Giles and probably Yogi while we only gained 3 rookies, promising as they may be). Bringing back bogie and keeping buddy doesnt really move the tanking needle in the west initially. The way I see it, there is zero reason to rush a Buddy trade. Matching Bogie is a long term move and if you get a good deal for Buddy or a good second year deal for Bogie (or he waves NTC and Kicker-a 1st year deal) then you move one or both on your terms. You are going to suck either way, so suck on your terms and use that suckage to gain picks or young promising assets. Dont suck for the sake of sucking (losing assets for nothing or being forced into a bad deal).

Plus I find it weird that they havent announced yet whether they will match Bogie or not. If they werent going to match him, why not get on with it and go out and start recruiting players to fill your roster with the hole he and the others left. Why sit on it till now. The only reasons I can see to sit on it is to either tie up Atlanta's $$$ in retaliation for them trying to sign your guy so that other FA are off market, and then match at last moment. OR #2, you honestly dont know what you want to do. While im hoping its the first reason, from what I have seen so far (losing depth for pennies), I am worried they just have no direction or strategy on what they want to do.

Match Bogie
Sign Whiteside

Third String reserves

I like it. This would be a young balanced roster. Seeing we didn’t have a 1st last year I didn’t pay much attention to college players, from what I’m seeing now Hunter appears a good fit.

per Hollinger in the Athletic...

One twist, however, is that the player option part actually lessens the impact of the trade kicker, because the option year is not included in the trade kicker calculation.

For instance, Bogdanovic’s contract has a 15 percent trade kicker, so if the Kings traded him in the summer of 2021 they would have to fork out $5.4 million – 15% of the two years left on the contract before the player option. Without the option, that kicker jumps to $7.2 million.
For a talent like Bogdan and the interest from playoff contenders sure to still be there, that number shouldn’t be a deterrent at all.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member

If they’re still deciding at this point they should just flip a coin lol. Sort of intractable dilemma that they’re not gonna solve in the next 4 hours
I don't think they are "deciding". I think they are still looking to see if they can make any deals before they make that decision.

I'm sure at this point they have "if X, then Y" laid out. They are probably just still trying to see which "X" they are executing on.

For instance, hypothetically, they know if they can trade Buddy then they will pick up Bogi's contract. If they can't trade Buddy they will decline it. They are still seeing if they can get a trade for Buddy worked out. The "decision" has more than likely been made at this point.