[WNBA] Comments that don't warrant their own thread - 2K9 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of injuries already this year--especially in the Storm vs Fever game today. Sadly, Yo was one of those. Fever fans are reporting on another board (R) that Yo has torn her achilles. If it's true, it's a darn shame. Not the way any of us would want her to end her career.

Bad sign for the league that he would step down before absolutely securing the job.

Say what you want about the man, he knew how to evaluate talent. He never fell in love with personnel. And he is a winner.

I loved that he has direct interaction with the die-hard fans.

Like him or hate him Evil Bill made this league a better place.

I don't know if anyone else heard it or reported it, but here it is:

Vickie Johnson, who has been with the WNBA since the very beginning, announced that this will be her final season.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sacultura/conexion/48496927.html

...Silver Stars guard Vickie Johnson, who holds the league record for most games played (379) and most minutes logged (11,719), announced June 11 that this will be her final season.

"When I started, I was the youngest player in the league," she said. "Now, I'm one of the oldest players in the league. It's time to start a second career."
Wow! Lisa Leslie, Yo Griffith, and now VJ. Truly a changing of the guard this season.

I believe it is her summer gig. Her blog on the kings site after the productions changes were made last month made it sound like she was going to have a role with the kings. That she still seems to be working for them right now too suggests that she is coming back at least for next season.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I was talking to my pops over the weekend; he said that my nephew "won" the Jam Cam at the Dream/Shock game last Friday. Plus, the Dream won, so it was win/win for them.

The Phoenix Mercury's Diana Taurasi was cited for DUI yesterday (Thursday, July 2, 2009) in the wee hours of the morning.

Here is a news report from The Arizona Republic.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2009/07/02/20090702taurasi0703.html

Based on the report, it seems that nobody was injured and no other cars were involved, and that alone is fortunate. But still...this is disappointing, especially coming from one of the WNBA's biggest stars! Kara Braxton of the Detroit Shock just finished her 8-game suspension last week after she was convicted in a DUI arrest earlier this year. But Kara has a previous DUI arrest before, about two years ago.

I'm not sure how much time Taurasi will be suspended for.

But anyway, I'm just shaking my head in disbelief. :mad:

Being a big star does not equal being intelligent...which we should have learned by now from other sports. Taurasi is not the first WNBA player, nor the last I'm afraid, to do something to make fans shake their heads. She is probably the most recent to be caught.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
So Nikki T has been waived? What's up with her, Slim? She used to be a darned good pg and at 6' was someone most pg's did not want to go up against. Has she not got it back after having a baby? I'd love to have her as a backup pg depending on Slim's response.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'll have to ask my Pops. In the games I've seen online, she hasn't really seemed that bad, but I'll defer to his assessment; he's been to every home game this season for the Dream, whereas I probably won't make it down there until they play the Monarchs.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
So, I see that Atlanta went to Minnesota and ran up in the Lynx. Holdsclaw did whatever she wanted to against them, too. I thought it was interesting that the Lynx commentator mentioned how Holdsclaw played against Odom on the playground as a kid, because I've always felt that their games were comparable... which only makes it even more fitting how she never seemed comfortable in the "Savior" role the league wanted to put her into; like Odom, she never seemed to want to be The Woman.

My Pops said there's been rumors about chemistry problems, but that he thinks that Teasley being released has more to do with Lanning's emergence. Since Latta has the ability to play off the ball as well as play point, and Teasley is more of a "pure" point guard, I guess Meadors figures that Latta would be more useful to her rotation. He's actually more concerned about how Castro Marques' surprising emergence has impacted McCoughtry's playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.