Willie Cauley-Stein

http://www.csnbayarea.com/video/aft...solates-difference-game?guid=22517WILLIE&t=12

Welcome to the NBA, Willie.

It's a bit different when the opponent gives a crap about what you may do, huh?
I like Willie and he's the most exciting/interesting player on the team to watch IMO, but his attitude about Demarcus leaving reeked of entitlement and braggadocio.

It's one thing to be excited about getting a bigger chance, but it's another to seem dismissive of the absurd load Demarcus had to bear with this team (and franchise).

I'm sure it's not easy to have everyone in the world blaming you for every team and franchise mistake, yet not give you enough credit for their few wins.
It can't be easy getting the brunt of the entire opposing team's brutishness and the ref's bias. Demarcus was a lightning rod for abuse, and he bore it for many years.

If and when Willie deserves as much attention from the opponents, let's see him hold up as well as Demarcus did.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
And today was one more game --- against a much more legit defensive squad. Obviously the results were much different. Had this been the 1st game since the Cousins trade, what would people had been saying then?

Big picture, we need to see a lot more games before we really know what's up. But, IMO, what we saw today is what you'll get on a routine basis against a stout team. And that's difficulty scoring. They no longer have that star player to get consistent points from when the going gets rough. That's precisely why I was adament against trading Cousins.

But let's see what happens over the next half dozen games or so.
As this is a Willie thread, he needs to adjust to not having a beast he could fall back on. I wish he would simply do what he does best and worry about the jump shots later on. We have Skal and Skal is the jump shooter. The team will not rise and fall with Willie. I think that concept already did in one guy (Cuz) and it needn't happen to another. Get used to the team mates and let's see what happens.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
http://www.csnbayarea.com/video/aft...solates-difference-game?guid=22517WILLIE&t=12

Welcome to the NBA, Willie.

It's a bit different when the opponent gives a crap about what you may do, huh?
I like Willie and he's the most exciting/interesting player on the team to watch IMO, but his attitude about Demarcus leaving reeked of entitlement and braggadocio.

It's one thing to be excited about getting a bigger chance, but it's another to seem dismissive of the absurd load Demarcus had to bear with this team (and franchise).
Ah, yes. This is the way he sounded. Admittedly, it was less fun with Boogie on the team but now that he is gone doesn't mean Willie will be Boogie 2.0. I don't mind cockiness but please, dude, take a deep breath and calm yourself.

Willie really seems like a guy, who loves the fancy talk. It never bothered me with DMC, but somehow makes Willie a lot less likeable. I'm a strange guy sometimes.
I don't know Willie but the reports are that he's a strange cat. Remember this is someone who went BACK to school rather than jump at first chance for the NBA. I think he goes to his own beat. For better or worse.

I don't know Willie but the reports are that he's a strange cat. Remember this is someone who went BACK to school rather than jump at first chance for the NBA. I think he goes to his own beat. For better or worse.
Well I hope for the better. After all we put most of our eggs in his basket now ;)

What he thinks and what actually are may not be the same thing. I don't see him as the "star" player just a great piece to the puzzle of Team.
Yeah maybe. Too early for me. He is one of the quickest 7 footers I ever saw. So his physical gifts are extremely special. I don't want to put too much in a few words during an interview. We simply need to take the wait and see approach. Maybe he follows this up with a MIP like season. Stranger things have happened. I don't need to like him. Just make SAC win and I couldn't care less about character or likability.

I have been a huge advocate for Willie. Ive said numerous times he is going to be a special player and is very unique .

However I would not expect to see a finished player even by seasons end. We have time to let him grow into a better player. Personaly going to just enjoy watching the improvements he and the other youngbloods make. Thats where were at now so not gonna sweat it on a game to game basis yet.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I have been a huge advocate for Willie. Ive said numerous times he is going to be a special player and is very unique .

However I would not expect to see a finished player even by seasons end. We have time to let him grow into a better player. Personaly going to just enjoy watching the improvements he and the other youngbloods make. Thats where were at now so not gonna sweat it on a game to game basis yet.
He needs to learn what he actually can do on the court and not just his wishful thinking or fantasied leadership role. He's got time and I think we will be rewarded.

Does he still need to gain muscle to play C full time? Can he guard bruisers like Cousins?
Remains to be seen. He's been really good defensively getting big minutes at the C position the past 2 games. One issue we have in analyzing his game is we've only really gotten him in small spurts of minutes. This will be the first time in his career that he'll be getting at least 25 minutes every game.

Does he still need to gain muscle to play C full time? Can he guard bruisers like Cousins?
Does he need to? In my head we want Willie and Skal as light on their feet and mobile as possible to deal with the majority of NBA teams, that play outside-in and don't have a true low post threat. If aggressive enough even lighter guys can battle hard for rebounding position and often enough will be protected by todays ref's. For teams, that try to beat us up inside, we have a 7'2 maybe 260+lbs kid on the bench, who has great length and a thick lower body. It's way more promising to develop Bam Bam into a post defender and lane clogger with a soft touch and a jumper, than to force Willie to bulk up. When DMC names an 18 year old Bam Bam the kid must be pretty strong.

Yeah maybe. Too early for me. He is one of the quickest 7 footers I ever saw. So his physical gifts are extremely special. I don't want to put too much in a few words during an interview. We simply need to take the wait and see approach. Maybe he follows this up with a MIP like season. Stranger things have happened. I don't need to like him. Just make SAC win and I couldn't care less about character or likability.
I know Willie think he can be a franchise type player which really is laughable to be honest. You are right he does have rare athletic gifts that make him an intriguing prospect and he does have off the charts defensive potential which is what is what made him intriguing for me as someone to pair next to Cousins in the long term.

I think in time his defense will develop to the point where he could guard stretch 4s and players smaller than him. His length, quickness and just overall bounce makes him a great defensive player potentially.

While he is improving on the offensive side of the ball, where he mixes in a raw albeit effective post move here and there and splash in a jumper occasionally, it idoes not come naturally to him. It's mechanical! My view has always been that is he develops his offensive game enough not to be a liability at that end, he becomes a great pairing with Cousins as he provides weak side shot blocking, ability to guard both front court spots and his ability to contain penetration on pick and rolls. His lack of rebounding while not great was somewhat offset but Cousins' ability to just vacuum down the boards. Now that Cousins is no longer there, Willie's lack of overall game is exposed more. He is great at rim running and in the open court but some of the pick and roll stuff is pretty easy to counter and he does not have the offensive game to punish the team in other ways.

For Willie to be at his best, he needs that other front court guy to be a franchise level big. Whether it's someone like Cousins, AD, CAT or even Turner in time but Willie is not and will never be a franchise big. He is just a very nice piece to have next to the franchise level big.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I know Willie think he can be a franchise type player which really is laughable to be honest. You are right he does have rare athletic gifts that make him an intriguing prospect and he does have off the charts defensive potential which is what is what made him intriguing for me as someone to pair next to Cousins in the long term.

I think in time his defense will develop to the point where he could guard stretch 4s and players smaller than him. His length, quickness and just overall bounce makes him a great defensive player potentially.

While he is improving on the offensive side of the ball, where he mixes in a raw albeit effective post move here and there and splash in a jumper occasionally, it idoes not come naturally to him. It's mechanical! My view has always been that is he develops his offensive game enough not to be a liability at that end, he becomes a great pairing with Cousins as he provides weak side shot blocking, ability to guard both front court spots and his ability to contain penetration on pick and rolls. His lack of rebounding while not great was somewhat offset but Cousins' ability to just vacuum down the boards. Now that Cousins is no longer there, Willie's lack of overall game is exposed more. He is great at rim running and in the open court but some of the pick and roll stuff is pretty easy to counter and he does not have the offensive game to punish the team in other ways.

For Willie to be at his best, he needs that other front court guy to be a franchise level big. Whether it's someone like Cousins, AD, CAT or even Turner in time but Willie is not and will never be a franchise big. He is just a very nice piece to have next to the franchise level big.
First, I never pretend to know what any player thinks, unless he tells me. I have never heard Willie say he thinks he can be a franchise player. I have heard him say that he's capable of doing more offensively than people think, and that his time will come and he'll be able to show people what he can do. So his time has come, and other than yesterdays game, he has played well for quite a few games now. Now people can look at yesterdays game as a terrible game by Willie, but I think the Hornets had a lot to do with it. The NBA giveth, and the NBA taketh away. It's all about adjustment, and for one night at least, Willie wasn't able to adjust.

The Hornets decided that the Kings wern't going to get any points in the paint, and so they packed the paint. Willie not only struggled to score in the paint, he had a very difficult time even getting the ball in the paint. I think he only took five shots all night long. It also didn't help to have Tyreke out at the top of the circle dribbling away the shot clock instead of breaking down the defense, or at least moving the ball. I think yesterdays game is about as big an indicator of what Willie can be as much as the 29 point game is. The good thing is that Willie is going to get a lot of minutes to close out the season, and then will have the whole summer to make improvements to his game.

I've said it hundreds of times and I'll say it one more time. It takes a minimum of three years for a big man to arrive at what he can be. Some even take a little longer. So I think the important discussion about Willie will be taking place about this time next year. Hey, how about that kid Skal? 13 boards in just under 24 minutes. Who would have thunk it. Kid is a quick leaper. Starting to look like the Kings might have a huge steal on their hands. Malachi has looked like an NBA player as well, Maybe Vlade knew what he was doing after all.

Starting to look like the Kings might have a huge steal on their hands.
Many thought that on draft night. Skal was 2015's top high school recruit according to some evaluation sites, ahead of Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and Jaylen Brown. If it had not been for the disappointing season at Kentucky, where many feel he was misused, he likely would have been a top 10 pick. So landing him at #28 could very well be the most amount of luck the Kings have had in a long while.

Many thought that on draft night. Skal was 2015's top high school recruit according to some evaluation sites, ahead of Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and Jaylen Brown. If it had not been for the disappointing season at Kentucky, where many feel he was misused, he likely would have been a top 10 pick. So landing him at #28 could very well be the most amount of luck the Kings have had in a long while.
He can shoot, dribble, touch with left and right hand, advanced footwork and was a later bloomer including missing his Jr year of HS. He was a steal at 28 and he will turn out to be the best player in the 2015 draft book it. He is probably the reason why they felt they could trade away Cousins. I have high expectations for this kid.

He can shoot, dribble, touch with left and right hand, advanced footwork and was a later bloomer including missing his Jr year of HS. He was a steal at 28 and he will turn out to be the best player in the 2015 draft book it. He is probably the reason why they felt they could trade away Cousins. I have high expectations for this kid.
But he didn't dominate Summer League or contribute right out of the gate and spent most his time in the D-League Gatorade League so there's a faction of fans already believing he's a bust, along with WCS. :p

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I said at the time that I didn't think Calapari was playing to Skal's strengths. But then Coach Cal has always looked at where a players weaknesses were, and then tried to put him into a position where he had to improve in those areas. I felt that Skals best game was away from the basket because of his ability to put the ball on the floor, and his ability to shoot from the outside. But Calapari made him get into the post and play with the big boys. So he struggled big time. But when you look at the bigger picture, maybe it helped Skal in the long term.

It showed him the areas he needed to improve to play in the NBA, and started the improvement process by giving him actual experience in those areas. The rest was up to Skal. By the looks of it, he's a much better player in the post now than he was then. He's learned how to use his quickness to be effective down low. In an NBA where everyone is building for speed and good outside shooting, I can see a bright future for Skal.

I said at the time that I didn't think Calapari was playing to Skal's strengths. But then Coach Cal has always looked at where a players weaknesses were, and then tried to put him into a position where he had to improve in those areas. I felt that Skals best game was away from the basket because of his ability to put the ball on the floor, and his ability to shoot from the outside. But Calapari made him get into the post and play with the big boys. So he struggled big time. But when you look at the bigger picture, maybe it helped Skal in the long term.

It showed him the areas he needed to improve to play in the NBA, and started the improvement process by giving him actual experience in those areas. The rest was up to Skal. By the looks of it, he's a much better player in the post now than he was then. He's learned how to use his quickness to be effective down low. In an NBA where everyone is building for speed and good outside shooting, I can see a bright future for Skal.
Cal was playing him at center, out of position

He has the most upside of our young players IMO, said it from the jump

But Calapari made him get into the post and play with the big boys. So he struggled big time. But when you look at the bigger picture, maybe it helped Skal in the long term.
And unless you happen to be a UK fan, we could all care less that he struggled there and should thank Coach Cal for what he did because it not only improved his game but allowed Sac to be in position to draft him much lower than his talent level suggests.

Last edited:
And unless you happen to be a KU fan, we could all care less that he struggled there and should thank Coach Cal for what he did because it not only improved his game but allowed Sac to be in position to draft him much lower than his talent level suggests.
KU fan! Don't insult UK fans like that! Big Blue Nation gonna get ya .......................... hopefully just a typo :p

I'm wondering if I was watching the same interview that some folks here are reacting to?
http://www.abc10.com/sports/nba/sac...ousins-trade-competing-for-playoffs/411551157

Willie did not sound cocky to me, or smug about DMC leaving. There was no mention of viewing himself as a franchise player. I saw confidence and a refreshing lack of ego for a professional athlete, which comes from having spent so much time as a low man on the totem pole. He correctly pointed out that there is now room for everyone on the team to step up and try to fill the void together, adding "why not me?" He's obviously really young, a little unsure of himself, but overall confident in his abilities...I think he's in a good mental space right now.

Did you notice the tone when he was asked if he'd talked to DeMarcus? They were not close. I just saw a sense that there was now space for it to be about the team, instead of reacting/revolving around one player.