Willie Cauley-Stein: the 2018-19 Season watch

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Actually I thought the team played darned good basketball last night for about 45 minutes against maybe the best team in the world, who brought their A game to the floor and barely won. Unfortunately we picked the wrong game to start missing shots, but hey, that happens. It happened to the Warriors against Houston. I don't believe in moral victories, and that loss last night hurt. But you know what? It's been a dam long time since losses hurt emotionally. I find myself on the edge of my seat again. I find myself invested again. It's about time that losses are painful again!
Is "darn good for 45 minutes" the equivalent of "great" for the game? Man, I wish I had guys like you who graded my tests and papers in college. Where were you when I needed you?:)

The only guy that played great was Durant. He brought home the bacon for the Warriors when it was time to chow down.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Is "darn good for 45 minutes" the equivalent of "great" for the game? Man, I wish I had guys like you who graded my tests and papers in college. Where were you when I needed you?:)
:p
The only guy that played great was Durant. He brought home the bacon for the Warriors when it was time to chow down.
First, I never said they played great, I said they played darned good basketball for 45 minutes. The 3 or 4 minutes they didn't play well, cost them the game. Not sure what your point is. Are you implying that were not as good as the Warriors, the possible best team in the world, and the winner of 3 of the last four championships. The team with four, count them, all stars on it. Your right about one thing though, Durant was the best player on the floor, and, this is just a guess mind you, if he had been playing for us, we would have won that game. Once again, just a guess! :p

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I kind of want to like this... but I don't. I usually like a bit a pain, but I am not into that much bro.
I get where your coming from, but in any relationship, whether it be marriage, friendship, a brother or sister, or a sports team, pain comes along with caring. If you don't care, then there's no pain. But if you do care, well, that's the price. If you only want the happiness, without the other requirements, then perhaps you should take it up with a higher power. Let me know how that goes....;)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
First, I never said they played great, I said they played darned good basketball for 45 minutes. The 3 or 4 minutes they didn't play well, cost them the game. Not sure what your point is. Are you implying that were not as good as the Warriors, the possible best team in the world, and the winner of 3 of the last four championships. The team with four, count them, all stars on it. Your right about one thing though, Durant was the best player on the floor, and, this is just a guess mind you, if he had been playing for us, we would have won that game. Once again, just a guess! :p
But I said he didn't play great and you responded to my post on him not playing great. That was my point. Better read my initial post again, otherwise it's ring around the rosie.

I probably oversimplify things because I'm not an X's an O's person, but when I look at Willie I see a player who has been an important part of this season's success, who is still young, and who improves every year. I said earlier this season that the Kings' core can compete with that of any team, and Willie is part of that core to me. Maybe he's not as good at every single thing we'd like him to be good at (though I bet he fits into the Kings' offensive scheme better than what was expected when he was drafted), but I have no reason to think he won't get there.

Can't believe this wasn't bumped. Was at the game, have not read the game thread. I was close enough to see almost all of the offensive rebounds Adams got over Willy. 100% lack of effort. It was pathetic to watch, and actually got me upset when I saw how hard the rest of the team was playing (mostly).

Last edited:
Willie has made plenty of progress on offense. Stephen Adams exposed all of Willie's weaknesses. Adams got 20/23 with plenty of offensive boards. He has the desire that Willie lacks. Willie is lackadasical as a rebounder and as a defender.

In order to rebound in the NBA, you have to get mean, fierce, and want it. It takes desire. I played on teams where the coach would put a ring on the basket so everything except a perfect shot was a rebound. We focused on rebounding, especially defensive rebounding. If we got beat a couple of times we ran laps around the gym. I have coached kids at various ages. We did the same thing. Loose ball drills and defensive rebounding. Any kid gets beat on two defensive rebounds, I had them run laps around the gym. 2 laps, no effect. 5 laps was better. When I made then run 10 laps we got the desire I was looking for.

WCS needs to out think and out work Adams. He does neither. Gets abused each time they play.

Bags, who is significantly less physically developed than WCS, is a better match up against Adams, because of he brings the out work part to the table.

No matter how you interpret it, it all comes down to the $$$ for WC$.
Exactly the context doesn't even really matter. WCS talks about money too much (unsolicited). Clearly money is a big focus of his. It's in poor taste for anyone in any field to always talk about their salary and that of their colleagues, especially in Pro Sports when people are already questioning your effort and motivation.

If your Vlade you have to trade this guy around the deadline.

As many have been saying all along, can you really trust Willie to give you full effort and keep getting better after he gets paid?

Exactly the context doesn't even really matter. WCS talks about money too much (unsolicited). Clearly money is a big focus of his. It's in poor taste for anyone in any field to always talk about their salary and that of their colleagues, especially in Pro Sports when people are already questioning your effort and motivation.

If your Vlade you have to trade this guy around the deadline.

As many have been saying all along, can you really trust Willie to give you full effort and keep getting better after he gets paid?
Willie's going to be Willie.

One of his first purchase after his rookie contract was a porsche with a license plate that says Thrill. Whaddya expect?

One of his first purchase after his rookie contract was a porsche with a license plate that says Thrill. Whaddya expect?
Ya, I saw him driving around a couple time then.

I'm pretty good about not letting games bother me (sans Western Conference Finals) but Willies lack of effort last night is bothering me. His job, the thing he gets paid for, is to rebound play defense and score around the rim and in the pick and roll. He is only doing like 40% of his job right now.

Ya, I saw him driving around a couple time then.

I'm pretty good about not letting games bother me (sans Western Conference Finals) but Willies lack of effort last night is bothering me. His job, the thing he gets paid for, is to rebound play defense and score around the rim and in the pick and roll. He is only doing like 40% of his job right now.
It is what it is. Folks have different motivators. And I think it holds true across industries, professions, and social class.

As for WCS and his ride, I came across it in a garage. My buddy has a place near midown where Boogie (and Kosta) used to rent a spot. WCS would crash there before and after games. Couldn't miss his car. It is one of the reasons why I always had a tad more respect for Boogie than others--he reinvested in himself. Has a place in the hills, but another place near the arena to minimize risk (driving back late, etc) and maximize prep (naps, etc). Despite his on the court antics, dude was doing the right things off the court--and it showed in his development from a rook to an all star. It wasn't an accident.

I have no love for Willie right now. But what are you trying to say? That when an NBA player buys a Porsche and gets a license plate that says "Thrill," you already know something about them and their potential? If this is what you're trying to say, then I just wasted my time responding to your nonsense.

I have no love for Willie right now. But what are you trying to say? That when an NBA player buys a Porsche and gets a license plate that says "Thrill," you already know something about them and their potential? If this is what you're trying to say, then I just wasted my time responding to your nonsense.
Just stating that he has and always will be driven by money. Is that not what we’re discussing here?

And going a lil further, have we not been discussing whether contract year WCS is fools gold or the first of many excellent years ahead? There are plenty of studies that differentiate between internal vs external motivation. Studies have found that crazy rewards net the same return as moderate rewards. That, for most folks, oncehe/she obtains a certain level of income, compensation is less a factor in job happiness then other factors like flexibilty, a good boss, etc.

If we all know he’s driven by $$$$, what happens when he’s gotten it. Will he become Wiggins or continue to excel like Russ...

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I like WCS. I've supported him and defended him against a lot of criticism, both warranted and excessive. BUT what I saw last night just made me angry.

He has the talent and the ability. He continues to improve his offensive game, as others have said, but damn. I'm beginning to think the only way he'll reach for a board is if he's afraid it's going to hit him in the face.

I don't fault him for being "driven by $$$$." I do fault him for not putting forth a consistent effort to prove he's worth it. And that's what hurts and frustrates me. I think he could be a defensive factor, if he chose to do so. Could he have stopped Adams? No, but he could have at least shown some interest in keeping a few rebounds out of his hands.

I hope the coaching staff - or maybe even Vlade - can get through to him. Maybe we should hire Dennis Rodman to show him how much fun defense can be.

I like WCS. I've supported him and defended him against a lot of criticism, both warranted and excessive. BUT what I saw last night just made me angry.

He has the talent and the ability. He continues to improve his offensive game, as others have said, but damn. I'm beginning to think the only way he'll reach for a board is if he's afraid it's going to hit him in the face.

I don't fault him for being "driven by $$$$." I do fault him for not putting forth a consistent effort to prove he's worth it. And that's what hurts and frustrates me. I think he could be a defensive factor, if he chose to do so. Could he have stopped Adams? No, but he could have at least shown some interest in keeping a few rebounds out of his hands.

I hope the coaching staff - or maybe even Vlade - can get through to him. Maybe we should hire Dennis Rodman to show him how much fun defense can be.
From what I heard today the coaches see everything people here do and the chances of WCS being back next year is ceeping toward 0. Vlade said at the beginning of the year he told WCS what he expects of him to get an extention.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From what I heard today the coaches see everything people here do and the chances of WCS being back next year is ceeping toward 0. Vlade said at the beginning of the year he told WCS what he expects of him to get an extention.
Thank you for bringing that up. I'd forgotten about that part. The downside is what WCS might become on another team but I'm not willing to have the Kings wait forever.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Thank you for bringing that up. I'd forgotten about that part. The downside is what WCS might become on another team but I'm not willing to have the Kings wait forever.
I think Willie is what he is, unfortunately... I don’t think he’s going to have a “Whiteside” revelation out of nowhere, because he can get his money on his current effort and talent level, he’s in no danger of dropping out of the league.

He’ll have his moments, but they’ll never be consistent.

Does anyone think that if Marvin and willie's roles on the team were reversed that Marvin would average 20 and 10 right now? Marvin can do that with hustle alone. It s a DAMN SHAME when a guy has all star talent but doesn't have it between the ears. I just don't get it. Effort should be the last thing anyone should question about a player.