Willie Cauley-Stein: the 2018-19 Season watch

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Willie is what he is, unfortunately... I don’t think he’s going to have a “Whiteside” revelation out of nowhere, because he can get his money on his current effort and talent level, he’s in no danger of dropping out of the league.

He’ll have his moments, but they’ll never be consistent.
I can't disagree but I hope you're wrong. :(

I like WCS. I've supported him and defended him against a lot of criticism, both warranted and excessive. BUT what I saw last night just made me angry.

He has the talent and the ability. He continues to improve his offensive game, as others have said, but damn. I'm beginning to think the only way he'll reach for a board is if he's afraid it's going to hit him in the face.

I don't fault him for being "driven by $$$$." I do fault him for not putting forth a consistent effort to prove he's worth it. And that's what hurts and frustrates me. I think he could be a defensive factor, if he chose to do so. Could he have stopped Adams? No, but he could have at least shown some interest in keeping a few rebounds out of his hands.

I hope the coaching staff - or maybe even Vlade - can get through to him. Maybe we should hire Dennis Rodman to show him how much fun defense can be.
Being driven by money is the worst what happens when he gets paid. Does he love basketball or does he play cause he’s 7’0. I’m not giving him a contract trade him I think Bagley best position anyways will be center. Kofus is only 29 he can play at and good level for 3-4 more years start him while Bagley gets bigger to play center

Just stating that he has and always will be driven by money. Is that not what we’re discussing here?

And going a lil further, have we not been discussing whether contract year WCS is fools gold or the first of many excellent years ahead? There are plenty of studies that differentiate between internal vs external motivation. Studies have found that crazy rewards net the same return as moderate rewards. That, for most folks, oncehe/she obtains a certain level of income, compensation is less a factor in job happiness then other factors like flexibilty, a good boss, etc.

If we all know he’s driven by $$$$, what happens when he’s gotten it. Will he become Wiggins or continue to excel like Russ...
I just think your conclusion that buying a Porsche is symboic of someone who only cares about money is weak. But in Willie’s case, you may be right.

Ya, I saw him driving around a couple time then.

I'm pretty good about not letting games bother me (sans Western Conference Finals) but Willies lack of effort last night is bothering me. His job, the thing he gets paid for, is to rebound play defense and score around the rim and in the pick and roll. He is only doing like 40% of his job right now.
Agreed. Except Willie would tell you thats not his job. He doesnt identify with the graft needed to perform his position well. There is a disconnect and id rather it not continue long into the future.

I like WCS. I've supported him and defended him against a lot of criticism, both warranted and excessive. BUT what I saw last night just made me angry.
I don't fault him for being "driven by $$$$." ......................
I do fault him. Being driven by money is not a noble trait. Most really successful people (and the absolute top athletes) are not driven by money. They are driven by pride, desire to be the best at their particular craft/field, and the desire to win/succeed. Making a lot of money is usually a by-product of their success. I think most of them understand that, if they achieve their goals the money is going to come with it........but that's not what drives them.

Willie seems to have it the other way around unfortunately. We all question is motivation and motor constantly because I don't think he truly loves basketball as much as some other guys do. I don't think he eats, sleeps, and breathes basketball the way a Buddy Hield does. That doesn't make WCS a bad guy and doesn't mean he's a bad basketball player either........but is that a guy you want to commit big money to long term?

Teams can't hit 50% of their shots some nights. They can't hit 40% some nights. You stay in games with rebounding and defense. The Kings play defense when they feel like it. The Fox and Buddy and Shumpert and Koufus play defense nearly all the time.

Didn’t Larry Bird interview WCS at the draft combine and tell him that he thought he was a 100 million dollar player? I mean, the thing is: WCS is not wrong. Capela just got 90 million. True capela has proven more but WCS has that potential. It’s weird that he keeps bringing up this issue. Are we to conclude that once he gets this money he will go back to wild inconsistency and lackadaisical play? Is that a100 million gamble any team is willing to take?

Didn’t Larry Bird interview WCS at the draft combine and tell him that he thought he was a 100 million dollar player? I mean, the thing is: WCS is not wrong. Capela just got 90 million. True capela has proven more but WCS has that potential. It’s weird that he keeps bringing up this issue. Are we to conclude that once he gets this money he will go back to wild inconsistency and lackadaisical play? Is that a100 million gamble any team is willing to take?
He hasn't stopped yet.

I know a lot of it is on wcs, but shouldn't there be 2 people boxing out Adams on FTs? Most of the repairs I saw they just werent boxing him out. I don't know if our guys just take it for granted and assume they will go in or joerger needs to practice FTs AND how to rebound missed FTs now but really he shouldn't have to cuz these are professional basketball players and should know this by now.

I know a lot of it is on wcs, but shouldn't there be 2 people boxing out Adams on FTs? Most of the repairs I saw they just werent boxing him out. I don't know if our guys just take it for granted and assume they will go in or joerger needs to practice FTs AND how to rebound missed FTs now but really he shouldn't have to cuz these are professional basketball players and should know this by now.
3rd player is responsible for the shooter.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but he didn't try 5 consecutive times. FIVE. I get an occasional brain fart, or sometimes guys will lie and say they aren't going for it, then do. But cmon man.

Does anyone think that if Marvin and willie's roles on the team were reversed that Marvin would average 20 and 10 right now? Marvin can do that with hustle alone. It s a DAMN SHAME when a guy has all star talent but doesn't have it between the ears. I just don't get it. Effort should be the last thing anyone should question about a player.
He’s a developing player, and not built to be a starting center at this stage. If a change were made it would be Koufos IMO. I’m a WCS detractor, but I think the team would be better with Kosta now. We go into every game giving up offensive boards/layups like clockwork. WCS can run and pace and dive, but I don’t think that makes up for the difference in interior play between the two now

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I do fault him. Being driven by money is not a noble trait. Most really successful people (and the absolute top athletes) are not driven by money. They are driven by pride, desire to be the best at their particular craft/field, and the desire to win/succeed. Making a lot of money is usually a by-product of their success. I think most of them understand that, if they achieve their goals the money is going to come with it........but that's not what drives them.

Willie seems to have it the other way around unfortunately. We all question is motivation and motor constantly because I don't think he truly loves basketball as much as some other guys do. I don't think he eats, sleeps, and breathes basketball the way a Buddy Hield does. That doesn't make WCS a bad guy and doesn't mean he's a bad basketball player either........but is that a guy you want to commit big money to long term?
If he does his job, yes. It's not up to me to decide what's noble or what drive is acceptable. It's about results. If he produces, then I'd pay him the prevailing rate.

If he does his job, yes. It's not up to me to decide what's noble or what drive is acceptable. It's about results. If he produces, then I'd pay him the prevailing rate.
I think the issue is, he would already have what is motivating him, the money. So without that motivation, would you have the typical confidence in him like you do another player to continue that play post contract

What do you think all the constant debate is about surrounding Willie?

The big concern is you pay him and his motivation dissapears . It's very common in the NBA especially among project big men. They get paid and they immediately regress.

I am curious what League GM's think of WCS. He's losing value by the month. I am not sure the Kings can get much for him now. No team contending for a playoff spot will be interested in a Big Man who can't rebound.

Would you guys resign him for say 4 years $40-50 Mil? Or another way to phrase it is what's the most you would pay to keep wcs?
It ain’t his skills we question. It’s his effort and attitude. How can someone like Willie limit KAT to 19-10 just a few games ago when KAT was tearing everyone else a new one but allow two opposing centers to get 23 rebounds each back to back with him only getting 13 in both games combined?

That isn’t about skills, that’s about effort. I think it’s time we trade him for a starting 3 man. I give Skal a ton of crap but even he would give more effort than what I’ve seen last two games. It’s time for Bagley and I think we would be better for it. KK is a good back up center or we can trade for another if need be. Willie has shown his true colors. He only plays when he wants to and that’s not what this team needs.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
As Christie has said a zillion times: WCS should have face-guarded Adams. Yes, he wouldn't be able to help out on D. But when was the last time you saw WCS help out on interior D anyway? I can't even remember when he came from the weak side to block a shot. His interior D has been a joke. Half the time I don't even see him put up his hand on the guy he's guarding. What's up with that? I just don't get the guy. I really don't.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think tonight will say a lot about WCS and his future with the Kings. If he doesn't step up and really work his posterior off, I think he may well have sealed his own fate. Vlade appreciates and rewards hard work. I think he's given WCS every opportunity to show his worth. Again, Vlade doesn't care what motivate a player provided it brings results. I truly believe he's in a much better spot to assess WCS than we are and I trust in him to make the right decisions.

I think tonight will say a lot about WCS and his future with the Kings. If he doesn't step up and really work his posterior off, I think he may well have sealed his own fate. Vlade appreciates and rewards hard work. I think he's given WCS every opportunity to show his worth. Again, Vlade doesn't care what motivate a player provided it brings results. I truly believe he's in a much better spot to assess WCS than we are and I trust in him to make the right decisions.
I kinda have the same feeling.