Will The Kings Make The Playoffs?

There have been quite a few times over the past 17 years where it briefly felt like the Kings might be turning a corner. Looking back, this feels like it might be more real than the others, but did those feel just as real in the moment? Hmm...
I’d say the boogie year even if the offense was gimmicky and maybe even last year when it looked like we were playing better defense. Neither to to the extent of this go around but yeh

There have been quite a few times over the past 17 years where it briefly felt like the Kings might be turning a corner. Looking back, this feels like it might be more real than the others, but did those feel just as real in the moment? Hmm...
Joeger's last year felt real. The total collapse felt like a blip because the coach went public with dirty laundry and then seemed to check out when he knew he was going to be dismissed (correctly, imho). There was sufficient reason to believe that even if we made the wrong pick we hadn't drafted a bust and that a new coach could solve things. Who knows, had we hired a competent coach maybe we'd not be here.

For every game that we played above our heads and won, we've lost a game where a player went 20% on free throws, or Barnes forgot how to play basketball, or coach was still figuring out rotations. I don't see a gimmick here. Can Huerter shoot lights out forever? I don't know. I do know the way teams are playing Sabonis is leaving the guy wide open. Barring a significant injury to either Fox or Sabonis I am not sure we have a "gimmick" other than two players playing at all-star level. You've got 3-4 guys beneath them that are good for a career night any given night. Which I guess is a new thing for this team. The defense which isn't perfect feels sustainable if not improvable. We've seen new sets introduced. This team is growing before our eyes and seems to be getting better and more confident each game. They believe in each other and the coach and I've yet to see any malcontents stirring it up and I don't think those will be tolerated.

Our rookie's dad basically says "the kid needs to learn" everytime he has a bad game so it's not like anything Brown says will tune him out.

Nothing is guaranteed in this league but I think this is real.

Yes. I have a hard time imagining them not making the playoffs. I don't care for "The West is really good, so play-in" argument because so are we. It's a talented and deep roster that fits together correctly and features two dynamic players. They're also well coached and playing well. Why wouldn't we be in the playoffs? I think people are fooled by the idea that somehow legacy gets you into the playoffs.

Last edited:
A lot can happen, and they likely are on a little bit of a hot streak now, but it's hard to imagine in general the team won't improve throughout the course of the year as they get more acclimated to Coach Brown's systems. If we don't at least make the play-in, it will be a massive disaster.

I’m not trying to be cheeky but I honestly don’t care. They are playing good ball and are a top to bottom threat. I think they are a few pieces away from building a championship contender, no joke. Thats not gonna happen this year obviously so it would be fun but, I‘m more interested in them moving Richaun and figuring our backup big situation. I think against the bigger quality opponents we are gonna have problems. This chess it ain’t checkers Monty sitting there without a contract Vivek is a monster.

I think we make the Play-in, maybe even win a game, but fall just short of the Playoffs. The West is really good.

Guaranteed ahead of us:

Phoenix
Denver
New Orleans
Memphis
LA Clippers

In the mix for final guaranteed spot/likely Play-in minimum:

Golden State
Portland
Dallas
Minnesota
Sacramento

In the mix for play-in spots:

Oklahoma City
LA Lakers

So there’s heavy competition for the play-in, let alone a top 6 spot. Of course, some teams will fall out via injury (Clippers?) or choosing to tank (OKC?). Plus, the Kings look flat out better than some of this teams. Who knows if GSW actually gets back to being good. Minny looks bad so far, Dallas is heavily Luka dependent, the Lakers suck but let’s see what trade(s) they make.

Before the season I saw us finishing in the 9-11 range. At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if we finish anywhere from 6-11.
Hmmm.....I think you forgot a team...

We should be asking this question in March not in November.
One of the keys for the Kings is to keep their heads down and take them one game at a time.
I agree with this. Take each game at a time, keep your head down, and the results will come.

I'm just enjoying having a competitive team that can win some. When we get closer to that time then I'll start getting excited.

The Kings at home against Detroit tomorrow. After that, it's:

@ Mem
@ Atl
@ Bos
vs Pho
vs Ind
@ LAC
vs Chi
@ Mil
@ Cle
@ NY
@ Phi
@ Tor

Then they're on the road against Detroit. But between those two matchups with the Pistons, it's an absolutely brutal, road-heavy stretch against many of the best teams in the league. It will tell us a lot about the Kings playoff chances, since honest-to-goodness parity appears to have spread across the NBA. There are so few genuinely bad teams this season. If the Kings finish in the 9-10 range, it will be a bit disappointing but hardly surprising given the level of competition in the west. If they finish in the 7-8 range, it will be a pretty serious victory. If they finish anywhere above that, it will be a truly stellar achievement.

@ Mem
@ Atl
@ Bos
vs Pho
vs Ind
@ LAC
vs Chi
@ Mil
@ Cle
@ NY
@ Phi
@ Tor

Then they're on the road against Detroit. But between those two matchups with the Pistons, it's an absolutely brutal, road-heavy stretch against many of the best teams in the league. It will tell us a lot about the Kings playoff chances, since honest-to-goodness parity appears to have spread across the NBA. There are so few genuinely bad teams this season. If the Kings finish in the 9-10 range, it will be a bit disappointing but hardly surprising given the level of competition in the west. If they finish in the 7-8 range, it will be a pretty serious victory. If they finish anywhere above that, it will be a truly stellar achievement.
I mean, this would be a brutal stretch for the Bucks, much less us. I think I'd consider it a pretty big win if we can get 5 wins this stretch and then hopefully take advantage on a more favorable schedule after.

@ Mem
@ Atl
@ Bos
vs Pho
vs Ind
@ LAC
vs Chi
@ Mil
@ Cle
@ NY
@ Phi
@ Tor

Per my usual repeatitive rant - The benchmark is .500 - then the playoffs. This team needs to finish stronger than the 2018-2019 team. Believe the 2019 team had at least several 3 and 4 and maybe one 5 or 6 game win streak throughout that season.....based off only now- yes - 8-6 - a simple extrapolation shows 46-47 wins. However its not even a quarter of the season yet, and injuries are a complete monkey wrench, or players could revert to less effort.. The way players 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 have looked the team is surging. See where they are after Detroit, Memphis, Atlanta, Boston Phoenix, Indiana - 3-3 would be a checkmark....anything better would be bona fide. The 2006 team had a 14-4 stretch in the early Spring -- they were 8 games below .500 in early Feb 19-27, and finished 44-38 that's a strong finish - and then Bonzi Wells got big-headed in the off-season (too bad)..

@ Mem
@ Atl
@ Bos
vs Pho
vs Ind
@ LAC
vs Chi
@ Mil
@ Cle
@ NY
@ Phi
@ Tor

That 7 game roadie is BRUTAL

Per my usual repeatitive rant - The benchmark is .500 - then the playoffs. This team needs to finish stronger than the 2018-2019 team. Believe the 2019 team had at least several 3 and 4 and maybe one 5 or 6 game win streak throughout that season.....based off only now- yes - 8-6 - a simple extrapolation shows 46-47 wins. However its not even a quarter of the season yet, and injuries are a complete monkey wrench, or players could revert to less effort.. The way players 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 have looked the team is surging. See where they are after Detroit, Memphis, Atlanta, Boston Phoenix, Indiana - 3-3 would be a checkmark....anything better would be bona fide. The 2006 team had a 14-4 stretch in the early Spring -- they were 8 games below .500 in early Feb 19-27, and finished 44-38 that's a strong finish - and then Bonzi Wells got big-headed in the off-season (too bad)..
In my mind, we were already .500 that season. Joerger just decided to give a giant middle finger to the front office and screwed us out of that IMO

So looking at the the standings after tonight.

Teams 1 thru 6 all have 6 losses same as the Kings in the 8th seed. The Clips in the 7th seed have 7 losses.