Will The Kings Make The Playoffs?

Currently in the 8th seed. There are a couple teams above us I can see dropping, and a couple teams below I can see jumping. I think we probably hover around this point through the season. I'm gonna say yes.

I go with yes. During TNT post game after blowout of Nets both Shaq and Barkley said yes. Charles said playin and Shaq said 6th or 7th spot.

I'd be very confident in a play-in, but a top 6 seed in the west is probably at least 45 wins. A 15-win jump from last year is a hell of an ask for any team

I am going to start sounding like a broken record to most of you, but...

I headed into this season with ZERO expectations. And I am continuing on through the rest of the season with ZERO expectations.

I've had expectations many times before, only to leave the regular season feeling disappointed and dejected. I can't do that crap any more.

Kings look hungry. I’m thinking play-ins are very realistic. A top 6 seed in the west is a tough ask, but I have a feeling they’ll be in the 8-9 spot at the end of the season.

I'd be very confident in a play-in, but a top 6 seed in the west is probably at least 45 wins. A 15-win jump from last year is a hell of an ask for any team
Dunno that that's the way to think about it.

If 45 wins are what's needed, they'd need to go 38-31 from here on out to get there. This team is 7-2 over its last 9 and we know the two losses were controversial. Even assuming the Kings are unsustainably hot right now, 38-31 (or better) is more than plausible if they stay fairly healthy.

in re health: Fox may be their best player right now, but IMO Sabonis is their most indispensable. Sabonis has played 62 games in each of the last 3 seasons, so definitely a history there of missing a significant chunk.

But, yeah, a #5 or 6 seed definitely doable. I believe what I'm seeing.

Who knows. The Kings look really good right now. If they play like this all season they for sure are in the 6-8 range. But the West is a gauntlet. The freaking Warriors aren't in the play in right now. The Wolves who are under us are still learning to play together. Utah looks much better than anyone thought. It's going to take a hell of a coaching job from Mike Brown, and really consistent play from both Fox and Sabonis every game, as well as one or two players on the bench stepping up as well.

Dunno that that's the way to think about it.

If 45 wins are what's needed, they'd need to go 38-31 from here on out to get there. This team is 7-2 over its last 9 and we know the two losses were controversial. Even assuming the Kings are unsustainably hot right now, 38-31 (or better) is more than plausible if they stay fairly healthy.

in re health: Fox may be their best player right now, but IMO Sabonis is their most indispensable. Sabonis has played 62 games in each of the last 3 seasons, so definitely a history there of missing a significant chunk.

But, yeah, a #5 or 6 seed definitely doable. I believe what I'm seeing.
It's a legitimate concern with Sabonis. It's true that the Kings essentially shut him down at the end of last season, but that was prompted by a knee injury. He also missed big chunks at the end of the last two seasons with plantar fasciitis and back soreness.

Hopefully the Kings can manage his minutes to keep him healthy down the stretch and ideally fresh for some postseason games.

It's a legitimate concern with Sabonis. It's true that the Kings essentially shut him down at the end of last season, but that was prompted by a knee injury. He also missed big chunks at the end of the last two seasons with plantar fasciitis and back soreness.

Hopefully the Kings can manage his minutes to keep him healthy down the stretch and ideally fresh for some postseason games.
Yeah, although a little skewed by Fox only playing 9 minutes in that game he got hurt, (same with Keegan), the Kings currently don't have anyone playing over 32 MPG

Fox-32 MPG
Huerter-31.7
Sabonis- 31.7
Barnes-31.0
Murray-30.3
Monk-21.5
Mitchell-18.6
Lyles-14.6
Davis-13.8
Metu-12.0

For reference, Fox is 60th in the NBA in MPG and Sabonis/Huerter are 63rd. So Brown is really playing into the depth of the team. I think it does make a lot of sense, considering the injury history of Fox and Sabonis to help keep them fresh and playing a full season. And the Kings so far have been the healthiest team in the NBA, with that Fox game being the only missed time all season (we'll see with Keegan tonight), so it's paid off so far.

The big thing currently is parity. Can you name any team since the start of the season that has dominated? Maybe the Buck and Boston, but outside of them? No one really stands out. The Lakers and Nets look awful. Jordan Poole and Draymond may be the poison in the Bay that the rest of the league prayed for. Blazers have looked good but not dominant, so I suspect that the difference between play off 6 to play in 10 could be as low as 4-5 games. It will be very close. I think that if they dont make at least the play-in with a mostly healthy team, it will be a huge disaster though.

I hope that I'll be proven wrong. As of right now I'd say no, unless they improve their defense I'm not quite convinced yet. They have been doing well lately, but even bad teams can do good in a short stretch of time. Also teams we didn't think would do well are doing better than expected. Example Portland and Utah.

Before the season I felt sort of good but now that we are actually playing well I feel I want to protect myself somewhat. Let's see deal with San Antonio first, then Detroit, then whoever's next...

Kingster

Hall of Famer
They've got a shot at the 5th or 6th slot if they stay healthy. The GS downfall (how long can Curry carry them?) and Leonard injury issues with the Clipps can give them the opportunity to get in. I say, yes. To me they are lock for at least the play-in if they stay relatively healthy.

I think we make the Play-in, maybe even win a game, but fall just short of the Playoffs. The West is really good.

Guaranteed ahead of us:

Phoenix
Denver
New Orleans
Memphis
LA Clippers

In the mix for final guaranteed spot/likely Play-in minimum:

Golden State
Portland
Dallas
Minnesota
Sacramento

In the mix for play-in spots:

Oklahoma City
LA Lakers

So there’s heavy competition for the play-in, let alone a top 6 spot. Of course, some teams will fall out via injury (Clippers?) or choosing to tank (OKC?). Plus, the Kings look flat out better than some of this teams. Who knows if GSW actually gets back to being good. Minny looks bad so far, Dallas is heavily Luka dependent, the Lakers suck but let’s see what trade(s) they make.

Before the season I saw us finishing in the 9-11 range. At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if we finish anywhere from 6-11.

Last edited:
My prediction was play-in with a home game. Standing by that. From there who knows. Promising though. Not ready to go all in.
A play-in game at home as the 7th seed would be nice. I don't want a play-in game at home as the 9th seed. Because I don't want to see us go on the road for a "winner take all" game.